You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#273734 - 12/10/14 08:35 AM [User Showcase] Oh Come Emmanuel
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

This is the traditional song from the hymn book.... just probably like you never heard it or expected it....

Safely in the public domain.... I changed or... rewrote a few of the lines to my liking.

The band:

Gene Rabbi on B3 organ
John Jarvis on piano
Wayne Killius on drums
Mark Hill on Bass
Herb Hartley on all guitars and vocals

THe basic style is LA hard rock.... everything else is up for grabs.

OH COME EMMANUEL

I hope you enjoy this version.... feel free to comment.

Brand new, smoking hot off the DAW.

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.

As the sword chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer.

#273775 - 12/10/14 12:46 PM [User Showcase] Re: Oh Come Emmanuel [Re: Guitarhacker]
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
A good job on that, Herb.

A much more updated sound than your usual. Good guitar work and harmonies are well done.
A dozen more of these would make a good CD.

floyd

(I don't get not listing RTs to help others out a bit)

#273779 - 12/10/14 01:01 PM [User Showcase] Re: Oh Come Emmanuel [Re: Guitarhacker]
Loc: St. Louis, MO. USA
sslechta Offline
Veteran

Loc: St. Louis, MO. USA
Wow! I work with that same band. smile That's an RT set I use a lot as well. Love it and the way you mixed your song with it. Nice job.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 1 TB SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory

#273787 - 12/10/14 01:58 PM [User Showcase] Re: Oh Come Emmanuel [Re: Guitarhacker]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

Floyd: Thanks... I try.

Sslechta: Yup.... they're a good bunch of guys to jam with.

SO: To go more in depth on the behind the scenes info....

This was started in BB using the LA Hard Rock style. I deleted or muted all 4 of the original tracks

Bass 995
Real drums LA hard rock
Guitar 999
Guitar 996

the bass and drums in the original tracks were too mushy and not well enough defined for this tune. And while the guitar tracks were OK... they weren't me playing.... so they had to go as well. Sorry PG....

So I generated these instead:

Hammond B3 686
Piano 1564
Real drums hard rock modern even 8
and for bass electric pop shining even held 1253 and electric pop shining even sync 1254. I alternate the bass tracks with envelopes ....even held on the verses and sync on the chorus..... they have different energy levels.

Then I recorded my guitars and vocals.

My guitar is 4 tracks.... 2 are rhythm panned 100% opposite and lower in the mix.... and the 2 leads are higher in the mix....centered on solo and panned 20% on twins. They were mostly recorded on the Mesa Boogie mic'd with the Rode.... volume was low... clean channel. Ultimate Drive stomp box was the only FX in the guitar signal chain.... verb in the box. The second lead was recorded this morning using the POD2 for a slightly different tone. I'm digging the tone I got on this.... finally figgered a few things out.

Vocals.... one lead and 4 harmony tracks.... panned in pairs at 30% and 60% lower but not as low as I generally mix harmonies.

The ending..... major slow down..... I was blown away by the piano as it syncopated itself a bit naturally.... so freaking cool.... My favorite part of the song....

All mixing done in Sonar with surgical envelopes on the keys and some other things.... oh yeah and the secret sauce was applied there as well. (Propitiatory recipe)

I took some liberty with the words and melody to this old classic.

If I forgot anything or you have further questions.... just ask. I don't intend to hide anything about how I do what I do.... I simply use different ways to describe the tracks used. Sorry if it was too cryptic.... hope this clarifies it better.

Edited by Guitarhacker (12/10/14 02:02 PM)

#273802 - 12/10/14 03:53 PM [User Showcase] Re: Oh Come Emmanuel [Re: Guitarhacker]
Loc: Davis, CA
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Loc: Davis, CA
Don't believe I know this song BUT I like it! Band fits right in there, vocal sounds great and guitar work is delicious. Very much enjoyed! Take care. Greg

#273813 - 12/10/14 04:39 PM [User Showcase] Re: Oh Come Emmanuel [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Hamlin NY
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
A good job on that, Herb.

A much more updated sound than your usual. Good guitar work and harmonies are well done.
A dozen more of these would make a good CD.

floyd

A BIG +1

I couldn't say this any better!

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB and RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software and some hardware

#273821 - 12/10/14 05:00 PM [User Showcase] Re: Oh Come Emmanuel [Re: Guitarhacker]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

Greg.... you probably would recognize it if you heard it sung in a church....at christmas.

Mario..... thanks..... glad you folks are liking this tune. I almost canned it before I got halfway..... another one that I pushed through to finish and then decide what to do with it.

#273823 - 12/10/14 05:01 PM [User Showcase] Re: Oh Come Emmanuel [Re: Guitarhacker]
Loc: Kentucky
PgFantastic Offline
Veteran

Loc: Kentucky
I really like this style for this song! Very nicely produced piece of music; The lead is outstanding! thanks for sharing!

Psalm 57:7 My heart, O God, is steadfast, my heart is steadfast; I will sing and make music.

#273826 - 12/10/14 05:09 PM [User Showcase] Re: Oh Come Emmanuel [Re: PgFantastic]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: PgFantastic
I really like this style for this song! Very nicely produced piece of music; The lead is outstanding! thanks for sharing!

thanks... glad you like it. I like the LA HR style for christmas tunes.... I posted Greensleeves that is also this same style... just a few days ago.

#273894 - 12/11/14 05:02 AM [User Showcase] Re: Oh Come Emmanuel [Re: Guitarhacker]
Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Scott C Offline
Veteran

Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
First time hearing this song, very cool tune. Guitar, Singing, playing = excellent.

#273898 - 12/11/14 05:28 AM [User Showcase] Re: Oh Come Emmanuel [Re: Guitarhacker]
Loc: South Carolina
Charlie Fogle Online   content
Veteran

Loc: South Carolina
Excellent arrangement, mix, performance and production. This is top notch.

Always interesting to learn about the artist's work flow. Thanks for providing that for us too.

Charlie

#273916 - 12/11/14 07:46 AM [User Showcase] Re: Oh Come Emmanuel [Re: Guitarhacker]
Loc: south wales UK
pikeyh Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: south wales UK
What a rocking traditional song,sounding good and kickin a--e

#273923 - 12/11/14 08:14 AM [User Showcase] Re: Oh Come Emmanuel [Re: Guitarhacker]
Loc: Australia
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Hi Herb,

I have never heard this song before. I like what you did, though. There's a great drive and energy flowing through the whole mix.

Regards,
Noel

#273927 - 12/11/14 08:20 AM [User Showcase] Re: Oh Come Emmanuel [Re: Guitarhacker]
Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
Pat Marr Offline
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
As always, Herb... I like it!

#273999 - 12/11/14 01:25 PM [User Showcase] Re: Oh Come Emmanuel [Re: Guitarhacker]
Loc: The Netherlands
RnAM Online   content
Veteran

Loc: The Netherlands
Hi Herb,

Although we don't know the original... this is a very good rock song!
Great band and the guitar is very good. Your vocals sound very well.

Rob and Anne-Marie

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1gsdNLE7_Gy8qavoOplQow/videos
http://rnam.net/

#274005 - 12/11/14 01:42 PM [User Showcase] Re: Oh Come Emmanuel [Re: Guitarhacker]
Loc: Cremona-Italy
Sergio Guarneri Offline
Expert

Loc: Cremona-Italy
Hi Herb

you're great for me.
good song, sound and voice too.
You play the kind of sound I like best here in Italy:
country rock

Hello.

Sergio

#274016 - 12/11/14 02:14 PM [User Showcase] Re: Oh Come Emmanuel [Re: Guitarhacker]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

Scott: thanks for listening.

Charlie: Glad I could provide a bit of the behind the scenes on how I do things here.

Pikeya: I like to rock things up from time to time. Thanks

Noel: I was trying to make this sound like it was live as opposed to studio....and wanted the raw energy... sounds like it happened.

Pat: As always....thanks

R & AM: I am amazed the number of folks who say they've never heard this song.... it's a traditional Christmas song from the 1800's.

Sergio: I'm a big country rock fan from way back.... as hard as I try, the country always seems to creep into everything I do. Thanks

PG Music News
The Band-in-a-Box® 2022 for Windows DAW Plugin 4.0 is Here!

There are over 40 enhancements to the Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin, including a new Chord Settings dialog (with Chord Builder, Chord Theory, and MicroChords tabs), the MicroChords feature (the ability to enter multiple chords per beat, four pages for a total of 32 tracks (8 style tracks, 16 utility tracks, and 8 multi-riff tracks) plus a Style Mix track, the ability to drag MIDI chords and markers to DAW, volume sliders for each track, the ability to save/load chord progression, and much more!

The newest DAW Plugin is included in all Band-in-a-Box 2022 for Windows purchases - and Upgrades are on sale this month... up to 50% off!

Learn more about all the new features in Band-in-a-Box® 2022 for Windows DAW Plugin 4.0.

Band-in-a-Box® 2022 Boot Camp: An introduction to 10 major features and new RealTracks!

We've made a great tutorial feature for 7 of the 10 major features of Band-in-a-Box® 2022 for Windows.
(the other 3 drum stems, track settings, and ReMix Vocal Songs will be covered in "Boot Camp, part 2/2" - coming soon!)

Here is Part 1/2: Band-in-a-Box® 2022 Boot Camp: An introduction to 10 major features and new RealTracks!

Table of Contents:
All Tracks are Equal 00:50
Playable RealTracks 9:00
MultiRiff 24:35
MicroChords 38:24
Motifs 48:51
Volume Node Automation 51:18

Coming soon in part 2:
Drum stems
Track Settings "One-Stop-Shop"
ReMix Vocal Full Songs
222 new RealTracks
1-Click Downloader/Installer

NEW! Xtra Styles PAK 12 for Band-in-a-Box®!

If you love our existing Xtra Styles PAKs, you'll definitely want to have a listen to our NEW Xtra Styles PAK 12, with 200 more fully-produced styles! 50 each for: Country, Jazz, Rock-Pop, and our new Blues styles option!

Video: Xtra Styles PAK 12 Demos

Order this month and save 40%! During our Xtra Styles PAK 12 special, which ends December 31st, all of our Xtra Styles PAKs 1-12 are on sale for just $29 each (reg. $49)! Looking for more Xtra Styles PAKs? You can purchase our complete library of all 2,000+ RealStyles with the Xtra Styles PAK 1-12 Bundle for only $199 (reg. $349)! Learn more & order now.

Note: These Xtra Styles require the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition of Band-in-a-Box® version 2021 or 2022.

RealBand 2022 is Here!

There are over 30 new features to RealBand 2022, including the ability to install multiple VST plugins from a folder at a time, improved Audio Chord Wizard detection routines, the ability to record mixer movement for the masters/subgroups, new Transpose/Stretch All Tracks dialog lets you transpose/stretch/reduce all tracks and then conveniently save to a new file, the new settings to save selected tracks only and exclude muted tracks when saving all tracks to individual files, the option to save all tracks to a compressed format, and much more.

RealBand is included in ALL Band-in-a-Box® for Windows purchases – during our special (which ends December 31st) to save up to 50% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2022 for Windows Upgrade!

Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available.

If you need any help deciding which package is the best option for you, just let us know. We are here to help!

Learn more about all the new features in RealBand 2022 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2022 for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2022 for Windows is here! There are 50+ new features, 222 new RealTracks(20 more than we've released in previous versions), new RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, Artist Performances, Xtra Styles PAK 12, New "playable RealTracks" Hi-Q sounds, 2 sets of "RealDrums Stems," and more!

We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2022 Upgrade purchases until December 31, 2021 - save up to 50% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2022 for Windows Upgrade!

We've packed our Free Bonus PAK & 49-PAK with some amazing Add-ons! The Free Bonus PAK is automatically included with most Band-in-a-Box® for Windows 2022 packages during our special, but for more even more Add-ons (including 60 Unreleased RealTracks) upgrade it to the 2022 49-PAK for only $49. You can see the full lists of items in each package, and listen to demos here.

Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available.

If you need any help deciding which package is the best option for you, just let us know. We are here to help!

Learn more about all the new features in Band-in-a-Box® 2022 for Windows.

Celebrate National Jukebox Day with Band-in-a-Box®!

Happy National Jukebox Day!
(November 24)

Don't own a Jukebox? Well, if you have Band-in-a-Box®, you actually do with the Jukebox feature!

What does the Band-in-a-Box® Jukebox do?

Using the directory you choose, the Band-in-a-Box® Jukebox will provide you with background music by continuously play the entire list of Band-in-a-Box® songs within that folder! There are many options for you to customize your Jukebox experience, including: Only Play song with melodies, Change Melody Instrument, Random order Playback, Audible Count-in, Harmony Settings, and more! Plus, the Jukebox will continue to play while you use other programs, providing your favorite music for continued background listening.

To learn more about the Jukebox feature in Band-in-a-Box® for Windows, check out Chapter 5 of our online manual.
Mac Jukebox details found here.

Tell Us Your Favorite Band-in-a-Box Features

Did you know we have a My Favorite Things forum? We'd love it if you shared your favorite features in Band-in-a-Box and RealBand there, along with what features you use the most and why - we absolutely LOVE getting feedback!

Take a peak at other posts while you're there - you never know... someone else's favorite feature might become yours too!

Forum Stats
35220 Members
63 Forums
71789 Topics
625398 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
agen slot online, N67, sjk, ninebelow0, cqd

35220 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
jpettit 466
Matt Finley 254