You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#277811 - 01/02/15 06:43 PM [User Showcase] Foggy Morning, London Town
Loc: Massachusetts
BruceI Offline
Apprentice

Happy New Year, all! I've finally had some solid time to get back to music making during my year-end shutdown this last 10 days. I finished two songs today with my friend and producer Roger (the other song is also on SC but it's all Roger and me, no BIAB, quite rocking).

In November, I sang with my brother and a friend in a Bee Gees tribute concert. Mostly BG covers, but Doug and I decided to add two BG-inspired harmony-heavy originals. This was one, with lyrics inspired by my late October walks around London.

https://soundcloud.com/flyingsinger/foggy-morning-london-town

I really liked the way the 2335 strings worked in this song. I wrote most of the lyrics, my brother Doug most of the melody. We were definitely going for a 1967 feel. All the voices are mine except for one part on the chorus that my daughter sang.

Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions!

-Bruce

BIAB Details:
Key=G , Tempo 94, Length (m:s)=3:16
Style is _POPH085.STY (Slow Rock Ballad (85 RS))
RealTracks in style: ~518:Bass, Electric, Pop HalfNotes Ev 085
RealTracks in style: ~365:Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking Ev 085
RealTracks in style: ~362:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming Ev 085
RealTracks in style: ~542:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm Dreamy Ev 085
RealTracks in song: 2335:String Quartet, Rhythm PopHall Ev 085
RealDrums in style: NashvilleEven8^1-a:Sidestick, HiHat , b:Snare, Ride

Foggy Morning, London Town

Foggy morning, London Town
Footsteps falling without a sound
Memories linger
Like the smell of an early rain

I move slowly through
Westminster squares
Their cobbled lanes and homes so fair
Feeling every bit a part of the history

chorus

The streets are empty
The building shapes so dim

I fear I won't see you again

Wandering places we used to go
That zebra crosswalk on Abbey Road
We were just as fab
And you were matching your steps with mine

chorus

There’s a sadness all around
But no one sees the tears that I cry
No one knows the loneliness
I feel inside

chorus

Music/lyrics by Doug and Bruce Irving (C) 2014 (BMI)

#277815 - 01/02/15 06:58 PM [User Showcase] Re: Foggy Morning, London Town [Re: BruceI]
Loc: South Carolina
Charlie Fogle Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Carolina
Very nice. This is quite professional sounding. Good write, mix and performance. You did a superb job on the vocals and capturing the Bee Gee's feel in the song. Thanks for posting.

Charlie

#277840 - 01/02/15 09:12 PM [User Showcase] Re: Foggy Morning, London Town [Re: BruceI]
Loc: Sacramento, California
dcuny Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sacramento, California
Catchy song with an effective chorus. The additional voices are quite nice, and (as you noted) the strings are lovely.

My only complaint is with the sound quality - it sounds like a low quality MP3 in places. I suspect that SoundCloud is to blame, not you.

Thanks for posting, I enjoyed the song a lot.

-- David

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?

#277848 - 01/02/15 10:31 PM [User Showcase] Re: Foggy Morning, London Town [Re: BruceI]
Loc: Davis, CA
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Loc: Davis, CA
Really pretty song!! Love the vibe, the vocals, the strings, the whole nine! Great work! Take care. Greg

#277865 - 01/03/15 02:29 AM [User Showcase] Re: Foggy Morning, London Town [Re: BruceI]
Loc: Belgium
FredM Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Belgium
Hi Bruce,
Definitely a BG style classic.
Nice composition, good harmonies. I agree with David On the MP3 quality.
Still... Good songwriting !
G
F

#277892 - 01/03/15 06:55 AM [User Showcase] Re: Foggy Morning, London Town [Re: BruceI]
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
"Wandering places we used to go
That zebra crosswalk on Abbey Road
We were just as fab
And you were matching your steps with mine"

What a terrific verse!

I did not get a BeeGee's feel at first, but when you hit the chorus..Man! it was perfect!

Good write. Good arrangement and an excellent mix. The quality (mp3) sounded great to me. Like a good radio mix...

Very enjoyable.

floyd

#277903 - 01/03/15 07:50 AM [User Showcase] Re: Foggy Morning, London Town [Re: BruceI]
Loc: wales
gibson Offline
Veteran

Loc: wales
Bruce,

The BeeGee vibe hit me at almost the 1st note as I immediately thought of Massachusetts BUT as the vocals started the song took on a life of its own with the brothers Irving in charge laugh

Nice harmonies.

I lived in London for nearly 20 years and so did not see the romantic side but my old band did the Abbey road walk (and picture)

A great song, I look forward to more.

Alyn

My story

#277907 - 01/03/15 08:20 AM [User Showcase] Re: Foggy Morning, London Town [Re: BruceI]
Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
boehm Offline
Veteran

Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
Hi Bruce,

a great vibe.
Good arrangement and mix. I had no problem with the quality. Maybe some are disturbed by that flanger like effect on the vocals.
Awsome harmonies! Very enjoyable listen.

Guenter

#277939 - 01/03/15 10:34 AM [User Showcase] Re: Foggy Morning, London Town [Re: BruceI]
BruceI Offline
Apprentice

Hi all,

Thanks for the feedback and kind remarks! On the MP3 quality, I can't speak for anything that might be happening with SoundCloud. To me, the WAV file and MP3 sound very close on my system, and the mp3 sounds the same on several other systems I have tested. But...

There is deliberately a large amount of effects on the whole track (apart from the chorus effect on the solo lines of the chorus). I discovered "effects chains" in Sonar X3 and tried a bunch of their pre-made examples. The one I used is called "Nice AND Naughty" and it includes something called Alias Factor ("Alias Factor combines bit crushing and low pass filtering in a unique way" - I am non-violent and am horrified by the thought of crushing defenseless bits!), parametric EQ, and the z3ta+ synth used as an effect. We toned down the feedback and noisy high end, but there is a wash of echoes that was intended to be "vintage" but may sound muddy or bad to some. I will review this soon with Roger. Maybe we can use something cleaner.

Thanks for listening!

Bruce

PG Music News
SongPicker Enhancements in Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Mac!

The Band-in-a-Box® SongPicker has been enhanced with our newest 2020 version!

The SongPicker now builds faster for large song lists (>30K and up to 60,000 songs). The [Song] button (or the [Open] button) now has 3 additional menu items to launch the SongPicker.

- Open SongPicker in Current Folder: This opens the SongPicker in the current folder of the last loaded song.
- Open SongPicker in Home Folder: This opens the SongPicker in the home folder, which is Applications/Band-in-a-Box/MySongs or as set in the SongPicker.
- Open SongPicker in Favorite Folder: This launches the Favorite Folder dialog which allows you to choose any previously used folder where a song was loaded from, and then open the SongPicker in that folder.

In the SongPicker, there is a new “Open in Home” option. If this is enabled, the SongPicker will always open in the home folder instead of the current folder when you press the default [Song] button to open the SongPicker.

Searching for songs matching a chord progression or melody has been enhanced. There are three new checkboxes: "Key must match exactly," "Chord Extension must match exactly", and "Time Signature must match."

Click here to jump to the SongPicker subject in our New Features video to learn more. (32:11)

(read more about this feature in our Band-in-a-Box 2020 for Mac Online Upgrade Manual.)

We Have a $0 Down Easy Payment Plan!

Did you know... you don't have to pay for your Band-in-a-Box® (or other PG Music Inc. products) purchase right away? We offer an Easy Payment Plan! With our $0 down payment option, purchase today and don't pay for 30 days! The total of your invoice will be split equally, and charged every 30 days for 4 months after the initial purchase date. You can enjoy your software, with four convenient monthly payments for Visa, MasterCard, and American Express, with no added interest charges or service fees!

To choose this option, add your purchase to the Shopping Cart, and begin the checkout process. Step 3 of this process allows you to choose between:
[]Pay full amount now.
[]Easy Payment Plan. Pay $0 now, and four monthly payments, starting one month from now.

If you choose the Easy Payment Plan, simply agree to the RECURRING BILLING / EASY PAYMENT PLAN TERMS AND CONDITIONS and your order will be processed right away! That's right - choosing this payment option won't delay you receiving your order - even if you choose to have your order shipped, you'll still have the download links available to you - there's no need to wait!

User Tip - Band-in-a-Box Video Score (Win/Mac)

Check out a great tip Pipeline shared for creating a video score!

Have a tip of your own to share? Feel free to post it to our Tips & Tricks forum!

Thanks for sharing, Pipeline!

New "Feature Browser" in Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Mac

Band-in-a-Box® has so many features! We add 50 new ones with every version, so you may have forgotten all the different things that Band-in-a-Box® can do. Fortunately, with the release of Band-in-a-Box® 2020 we've solved this issue by added a Feature Browser!

How does it work? Access this feature by clicking on the [?] button on the main screen of the program or pressing the / Enter keys on the Chord Sheet. This dialog lists many features of the program and allows you to browse them, find the feature by text filter, read descriptions about the feature, find how to launch the feature, access to the online information or video about the feature, and do more.

Examples of a few situations where this feature is helpful:

-You know about a feature but don't know how to find it. Just type a part of the feature name and you'll see the hotkeys, menu, and toolbar info on how to launch it. For example, if you want to launch the Chord Builder but don’t know how to do it, type "builder" in the text filter, and you will quickly find the Chord Builder.
-You are exploring available features for Band-in-a-Box. For example, if you are a guitar player, type the word "guitar" and you'll see what's available.
-You prefer "one-stop-shopping" and would like to launch features from the same dialog.
-You are learning the program and like to browse or watch videos about topics you're interested in.
You can't remember hotkeys and want to review them.

Watch this new feature in action when you jump to the subject in our New Features video: 10:20 - New Feature - Feature Browser

(read more about this feature in our Band-in-a-Box 2020 for Mac Online Upgrade Manual.)

Videos - 202 New RealTracks for Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Mac®!

With the release of Band-in-a-Box® 2020, we've added 202 new RealTracks! These include great Americana, Gospel Vocals, new Blues, Country Pollwinners, Bossa Flute/Horn sections, Jazz Blues and Rhythm Changes, British and Hazy '60s guitars, Modern Funk, Island Grooves with steel drum and marimba, Singer-Songwriter, and more!

Get the newest RealTracks Sets 329-352 when you purchase the PlusPAK upgrade (ideal for 2019 UltraPAK/UltraPAK+ customers) for just $99 during our special (reg. $129).

Want the entire RealTracks collection with over 2,900 RealTracks? They are included with any Band-in-a-Box 2020 for Mac UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

Learn more about the 202 new RealTracks with our latest video: Summary of the 202 New RealTracks for Band-in-a-Box® 2020.

Want to watch even more RealTracks content? Check out this video, which is the "extended version" video demonstrating the newest RealTracks Sets 329-352 - click here to watch.

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac Patch Update Ready! (Build 321)

Still using Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac? There's a new FREE patch available! Click here to read more and download this free patch update (Build 321).

Summary of changes for build 321 (Mar 23, 2020):
Fixed: Song title will be changed to ? when re-saving if it previously contained international characters like é or ©.
Fixed: Event List window is using wrong colors.
Fixed: Some song titles are blank in the Song Titles dialog.
Fixed: Clicking on Print Chords from the chord sheet context menu causes application to crash.
Fixed: On some computers the application will crash when opening the Piano Roll window.
Fixed: Gender Param. setting was ignored in the Generate Synthetic Vocal dialog.
Fixed: Vibrato Intensity setting was ignored in the Generate Synthetic Vocal dialog.
Fixed: Pitch shifting setting was ignored in the Generate Synthetic Vocal dialog.
Fixed: There is no option to cancel when generating a synthetic vocal.
Fixed: The Vocal Synth feature would freeze for various operating systems.
Fixed: Language selection for the Vocal Synth generator was wrong.
Fixed: Possible crash when using the Audio Chord Wizard.
Fixed: Jazz Up or Jazz Down was not undoable.
Fixed: Dropping video files onto the Video RealTracks dialog failed, displaying flash message reporting that the video format was not compatible.
Fixed: The copyright button in the Print Options dialog did not do anything.
Fixed: Soloist > Edit Soloist Track > Remove Harmony would display popup message "not implemented".
Fixed: Soloist > Edit Soloist Track > Convert Harmony to Soloist Track would also launch the Generate Chords and/or Melody dialog.
Fixed: Soloist > Edit Soloist Track > Auto-Rechannel to Guitar Display would also toggle Embellish Melody.
Fixed: Possible crash when opening Song Picker dialog.
Fixed: Edit > Song Form > Unfold does not remove the tag ending.
Fixed: Application crash when using Edit > Song Form > Unfold if song contains tag ending.
Fixed: Tracks are listed twice in the Load XML File dialog.
Fixed: The note name indicator in the Notation window was not displaying.
Fixed: "...NOT rendered successfully to disk” error when using "Export Song as M4A" or "Export Song as AIFF".
Fixed: "invalid integer" error when loading some ABC files.
Fixed: "There was an error converting” error when attempting to import compressed audio files (.m4a, .mp3, etc.)
Fixed: User is not asked to save their song after applying a harmony to Melody or Soloist track.
Fixed: The demo player might fail to play a local file.
Fixed: There should be a warning message when opening the Notation window if the notation fonts are not installed.
Fixed: If opening a song from an version 2017 or earlier, any Audio Chord Wizard bar lines might be offset.
Fixed: The Guitar window did not display the capo.
Improved: Guitar capo setting can be changed by right-clicking the fret position bar.
Fixed: The Chord Builder did not update position when clicking on a different bar in the chord sheet.
Fixed: Changing a custom track label had not option to Undo, and did not prompt user to save song.
Fixed: Importing an ABCNotation file would not include the key signature.
Fixed: ABC files only opening some chords.
Fixed: Problem storing minor keys.
Fixed: MusicXML files created by Band-in-a-Box cannot be loaded by Band-in-a-Box if song title contains & (ampersand).
Improved: More detailed bootup log.

Shipping Status Report - Updated Daily!

As you will note, there are some countries that have temporarily suspended delivery or longer than normal delivery times.

Our list for you based on Courier vs Mail service can be viewed here.

We will be updating this list daily.

Forum Stats
31482 Members
65 Forums
63179 Topics
534625 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
ThomasAZ, Byrt, RUB, jfxe, ChrisM33

31480 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Icelander 234