Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Off-Topic
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
For some reason a huge pagefile.sys file has arrived, not on my system drive but on another drive. Its 11 gig!

I tried to delete it, but it says the file is busy

Can anyone help me, I don't think I really need this file at all, but have no clue what is going on

Z

Win 11 64, Asus Rog Strix z390 mobo, 64 gig RAM, 8700k
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran

I want my last spoken words to be "I hid a million dollars under the........................"

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
You cannot delete the file until you turn it off and reboot.

Control Panel-->System and Security-->System-->Advanced System Settings-->Advanced Tab-->Performance Settings-->Advanced Tab-->Virtual Memory Change.

-Click on the drive letter that you want to remove the pagefile.
-Select the No paging file button and hit set.
-Click all the OK boxes and you will be prompted to reboot.

After reboot, you can remove the 11 gig file.

The only thing I can think of that would have put that in there in the first place would be if you installed any software recently. Another reason could be you have the "Automatically manage paging file size" checked in the Virtual Memory settings and Windows made the decision for you.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
Normally when Windows is given the automatic choice of page file size it will keep the page file on the (C:) or system drive.
However if the system drive is getting full with less than 20% free space and another drive is available, Windows will use that other drive.

Check the used against free space in the system drive and if less than 20% free space, look towards removing unwanted stuff, and shifting some more of the wanted to a different drive if possible.
Otherwise it means installing a bigger system drive.

You shouldn't really allow any system drive to become that full that there is less than 20% free space, it can eventually lead to malfunction of the operating system and even finish up with a damaged drive.

Off-Topic
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Thank you,

Yes my system drive is full - only about 18% remaining. I keep cleaning it up but it seems to get bigger as I update my programs. The biggest file is my BB file: I just don't dare move it after having issues before. I try to keep everything very 'standard' with BIAB

I have followed the instructions above - thank you excellent

Z

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
I have everything music (BIaB, Reaper, SampleTank, National Instruments, ...) on my E-drive without problems. On the C-drive there is only that stuff that needs to be in Common Files, Program Files and Program Files (x86).

Desktop; i7-2600k, 8 GB mem., Win 10 Pro, BIAB 2017; RB 2017 - latest build
Laptop: i5-2410M, 4 GB mem, Win 10 Pro, BIAB 2017; RB 2017 - latest build
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Z, you may want to search for and remove all duplicate files with a free utility such as Double Killer. It does not destroy system files and can be reversed, if you mess things up. You might be amazed at how many mp3 files have accumulated on your HDD, for example.

Off-Topic
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Hello again fellas and help!

I did as explained in the thread above by sslechta, the page file disappeared, but was replaced by another file called "System Volume information" and another called MediaID.bin

These files will not tell me how big they are but they are huge at least 11 gig. They are sited on my storage drive not the system drive.

I also notice that shutting down is taking ages..

How can I restore sanity to my system?

Z

Last edited by ZeroZero; 01/04/15 12:59 AM.

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
I do have System Volume Information on all of my drives. I can't access them, but properties claim that they are 0 bytes large.

I don't have the MediaID.bin, a short search on the internet says it has something to to with (your) backup settings. There are articles about that file available on the support pages of the Wizard of OS. The links I get are all in German language and therefore, I suppose, not really helpful for you.

Good luck finding the cause and solving the issue.

Desktop; i7-2600k, 8 GB mem., Win 10 Pro, BIAB 2017; RB 2017 - latest build
Laptop: i5-2410M, 4 GB mem, Win 10 Pro, BIAB 2017; RB 2017 - latest build
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
System Volume Information is how Windows knows what kind and size of drives to report to you in Windows explorer.

Page files used to be called swap files. The term pages refers to how memory is allocated, in pages. Reboot and they will change size. They are files that show how much of your hard drive is being used as virtual RAM. It is a good idea, especially with Windows 7 or 8 that allows you to use all the RAM, to have as much RAM as your wallet allows. That will allow everything to load into RAM and avoid the need for swap (page) files. A lesser amount of RAM creates the need for data to move in both directions across the data bus and it slows the computer down some. It's simple physics, but when you fill your physical RAM the OS turns to spare hard drive space to create virtual RAM. So data is running toward the hard drive, the hard drive has to spin to wrote that data, and then your system is limited by the rotation speed of the drive.

Bottom line is to buy as much RAM as your system will handle. XP will only address 3.7 gigs of RAM no matter how much you have in the box, but 7 or 8 will use whatever you give it. One of the HUGE improvements in 7.

Last edited by eddie1261; 01/05/15 02:31 PM.

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
So is your main C:\ drive still getting full? You may still continue to have problems unless you resolve that issue. In other words, you may need to get a larger C:\ drive and do a complete system reinstall....... or find what is taking all that space. Remove old programs, look for excessively large files that can move to the other drive.

In the meantime, I had you remove the page file on the secondary drive. you can go back in that same section and add a fixed page file size by checking custom size and 4096 in Initial and Maximum. That will give you a fixed 4 gigs. Make sure the secondary drive is highlighted when you make that change. Click OKs and reboot again.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
P.S. - While you are in there see if it shows a page file for C:\. I'm wondering if that page file may have been accidentally removed.

Steve

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Eddie is largely correct, except this bit:
Originally Posted By: eddie1261
Bottom line is to buy as much RAM as your system will handle. XP will only address 3.7 gigs of RAM no matter how much you have in the box, but 7 or 8 will use whatever you give it. One of the HUGE improvements in 7.

The limitation is not so much XP as 32 compared to 64 bit - 64 bit XP will address the extra RAM just fine. 32 bit Win7 will not but 64 bit Win7 will, Win8 is ONLY 64 bit so that's fine.

I wouldn't be worried about the page file - most of the angst that exists about letting Windows manage page files is a hold over from Win 3.1 days when it didn't do it very well. These days Windows manages page files quite well all by itself.

The ONLY reason to interfere with page files is if you want to manage which drive it's on due to drive performance issues, otherwise just leave it alone - especially if YOU don't fully understand it.

However, something Eddie mention that I'd like to emphasize - stick as much RAM in the box as the OS will handle:
32bit XP and 32 bit Win7 = 4GB
64 bit XP, Win7 and Win8 = lots more - I'd stick in a minimum of 16 GB if the hardware will address it (some older motherboards won't address over 8 GB)

--=-- My credo: If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing - just ask my missus, she'll tell ya laugh --=--
You're only paranoid if you're wrong!
Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
If not sure about either the operating system capabilities or the motherboard limitations regarding how much RAM memory you can install, use the Crucial system scanner and it will not only tell you how much you can put in but also recommend what type. You don't have to buy from them if you take note of the type and search elsewhere for equivalents.

Crucial system scanner on this link.

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
A huge Page File is not at all uncommon.

The page file on a separate drive other than C: is also valid.

Maybe your pagefile is meant to be on another drive.

Here is how to get to the page file settings:

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
2015-01-06_04-52-45.jpg (382.76 KB, 22 downloads)

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,639
Posts735,350
Members38,524
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
OlvaJownDay, Tranner Track, Ely Bass, Barking, SYOTR
38,524 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 182