Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#282587 - 01/30/15 04:27 AM [User Showcase] Re: Dust on the Floor (V2) [Re: Guitarhacker]
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
VideoTrack Offline
Veteran

Herb

I really agree with bluage. Like I said before, this should get air-play.

Keep knocking on those doors. I wish you every success.

I don't profess to know the States, but I would've thought this would be a nostalgia trip quite a few parts.

Good Luck

Trev
BIAB & RB2021(Audiophile), SonarPlatinum, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M StudioMonitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones

#307599 - 08/19/15 02:57 PM [User Showcase] Re: Dust on the Floor (V2) [Re: Guitarhacker]
Loc: Iceland
Icelander Offline
Veteran

Quick tech question if I may: A slow-down ending like you've done there is something you just don't get out of BBox as it comes (and many times I've requested it!), so I'm very curious how you pulled that one off?

#307603 - 08/19/15 03:38 PM [User Showcase] Re: Dust on the Floor (V2) [Re: Guitarhacker]
mwgilbert Offline
Enthusiast

A very well arranged tune, and a very genuine and heartfelt vocal. Thanks for sharing it!

-MWG

http://www.mwgilbert.com

#307676 - 08/20/15 04:30 AM [User Showcase] Re: Dust on the Floor (V2) [Re: Icelander]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Icelander
Quick tech question if I may: A slow-down ending like you've done there is something you just don't get out of BBox as it comes (and many times I've requested it!), so I'm very curious how you pulled that one off?

All production related to the slow down was accomplished in BB.

HOW: at the end....I added about 10 measures to the song....so I could do a proper fade of the held final chord.
Then starting with the chord immediately after the pause on the tag.... I split the 4 beat measures into 2 beat measures. Actually.... split is the wrong word. You take the 4 beat measure and make it a 2 beat measure.... but now you have to add a measure for the next 2 beats of the original measure. That was also the reason I added 10 measures. I was going to need about 4 more measures and I needed time for the final chord to ring as it was held. (Does that make sense?)

You can go into the bar settings measure by measure and change them from 4 beats to 2 beats. In the same window, you can adjust the base tempo of that measure. So.... I essentially double the number of measures and then start slowing the tempo in each successive one. Example.... lets say the song is at 100bpm normally.... (because I forget the actual tempo) So the first 2 beat measure after the pause.... I set to 90, the next 85, the next 80, the next 75 and the final one 70 but with the held note it almost doesn't matter.

The reason I split the measures down to 2 beats is so that the tempo drop is not heard as a series of steps but a much more smooth deceleration. Resolution.

I have discovered that the better sounding deceleration is the one that is more dramatic.... as in 100 to 70 vs 100 to 90. It took several adjustments to the individual tempos to get a good slow down. And truth be told, I probably should have dropped the numbers a bit more.

Hope that helps you.

Edited by Guitarhacker (08/20/15 04:35 AM)

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.

As the sword chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer.

#307677 - 08/20/15 04:35 AM [User Showcase] Re: Dust on the Floor (V2) [Re: mwgilbert]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: mwgilbert
A very well arranged tune, and a very genuine and heartfelt vocal. Thanks for sharing it!

-MWG

Thank you.

#307713 - 08/20/15 11:31 AM [User Showcase] Re: Dust on the Floor (V2) [Re: Guitarhacker]
Icelander Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
All production related to the slow down was accomplished in BB. === Hope that helps you.
That was of tremendous help!! cool

I still have the view that something like this should be an optional feature right from the get go, but this was a very interesting reading indeed. Thank you so much for the detailed instructions, I'll be sure to give this a try in the future.

#307751 - 08/20/15 04:12 PM [User Showcase] Re: Dust on the Floor (V2) [Re: Guitarhacker]
Loc: Winston-Salem, NC USA
Jim Fogle Online   happy
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC USA
Herb,

Somehow or another I missed your excellent follow up comments regarding your workflow and production techniques. For someone such as myself such information is invaluable!

I still like the thought behind this song. I live in abedroom suburb with plenty of empty and decaying buildings. Everytime I pass one I think about how "that" was somebodies pride or livelyhood in the past and question why no one can find a use for them now.
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 2004, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home

#307797 - 08/21/15 06:31 AM [User Showcase] Re: Dust on the Floor [Re: Guitarhacker]
Loc: South Carolina
Charlie Fogle Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Carolina
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Lots of folks must be listening...... What a cool thing to wake up and see....!!!

» highest in charts: # 1 (66,147 songs currently listed in Country)
» highest in sub-genre: # 1 (8,446 songs currently listed in Country > Christian Country) » today's position: # 1 in Country
» today's position in sub-genre: # 1 in Christian Country

This is the first song I've written that's ever done this....and in 2 days.

THANK YOU EVERYONE.... for listening....

Too bad it's not the Billboard Charts...

I keep returning now and then to listen again. Today, I also ran through all the comments from the beginning to end.
Just want to say this song is deserving of all the accolades both here on the forum and where else it is played.

The only reason this isn't a commercial hit is because the brightest commercial ears have not heard it. I don't think a smart person could turn away from this song. It has all of the potential any song could ever need.

#307829 - 08/21/15 11:11 AM [User Showcase] Re: Dust on the Floor [Re: Guitarhacker]
Loc: Miami, Florida
Planobilly Offline
Expert

Loc: Miami, Florida
This is a very well done song by any measure.

Slowing something down and keeping everyone in time in a studio with live musicians requires a lot of work.

For any song to sound really good everything has to fit from the first note played until the last note played. The lyrical context has to fit the chord structure and melody line.

Everything is in the right place with what you have done!

I also think this song would be well received on the radio.

Cheers,

Billy

#325182 - 12/14/15 01:20 PM [User Showcase] Re: Dust on the Floor (V2) [Re: Guitarhacker]
kevinlamb Offline
Enthusiast

Very nice!

#325187 - 12/14/15 01:44 PM [User Showcase] Re: Dust on the Floor (V2) [Re: Guitarhacker]
Loc: Davis, CA
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Loc: Davis, CA
I thought I knew that title. I remember this from last year. Nice to hear it again!! Take care. Greg

#327169 - 12/23/15 02:37 PM [User Showcase] Re: Dust on the Floor [Re: Guitarhacker]
Loc: ND
Del Offline
Apprentice

Loc: ND
Nice song Herb! I like the emotion and the message!

#329716 - 01/05/16 08:37 PM [User Showcase] Re: Dust on the Floor (V2) [Re: bluage]
Loc: Washington State
bluage Offline
Expert

Loc: Washington State
Hi, "guitarhacker"...

I listen to "Dust on the Floor" every single time I check into the "User Showcase" forum. Did you have any luck "shopping it around"?

-bluage-

#329737 - 01/06/16 01:31 AM [User Showcase] Re: Dust on the Floor (V2) [Re: Guitarhacker]
Loc: Originally Missouri ... Now Al...
Al-David Offline
Veteran

Loc: Originally Missouri ... Now Al...
Howdy Herb!

Well, it seems we missed the original. Must have been when we were away for a couple of months. But we sure did enjoy the heck out this version! We grew up in the late 40's thru early 60's (yeah, we're that freaking old!) and this really takes us back.

Loved everything about this. Sounds like it should be n the airways ... definitely pro caliber and just plain old great music!

Best to you, Hope 2016 is your best year ever ...

Alan & Di

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

#329746 - 01/06/16 04:30 AM [User Showcase] Re: Dust on the Floor (V2) [Re: bluage]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: bluage
Hi, "guitarhacker"...

I listen to "Dust on the Floor" every single time I check into the "User Showcase" forum. Did you have any luck "shopping it around"?

-bluage-

Nope... it doesn't fit the bro/hip hop country formula so no one there is interested in this kind of music anymore. Unless I had a big country artist as a co-writer who had the clout to get this on their own CD.... there's not much hope of getting a cut in that town.

To everyone who has commented..... thank you for listening.... I know there's quite a few folks who do appreciate good country music, but they ain't in Nashville anymore.

#329941 - 01/07/16 03:55 AM [User Showcase] Re: Dust on the Floor (V2) [Re: Guitarhacker]
VideoTrack Offline
Veteran

If it's any consolation, it still so far got 11,000+ views on the forum. That's up there for sure.
BIAB & RB2021(Audiophile), SonarPlatinum, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M StudioMonitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones

#329946 - 01/07/16 04:45 AM [User Showcase] Re: Dust on the Floor (V2) [Re: VideoTrack]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
If it's any consolation, it still so far got 11,000+ views on the forum. That's up there for sure.

Thanks for pointing that out.... Very cool.

#329966 - 01/07/16 06:50 AM [User Showcase] Re: Dust on the Floor (V2) [Re: Guitarhacker]
Kemmrich Offline
Expert

I guess I missed it the first time around. Yup, a classic "small town dying" song. Well done. I think all of us have to write a least one like this. I wrote one back in 2008, but I lost the files due to a crash. I went and found it on soundclick and I quickly rearranged the lyrics to knock out one chorus and made it shorter. Maybe I will re-record it sometime in the future.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

PG Music News
RealBand 2021 Includes 64-bit PG DX Plugins Presets!

Download the latest update for RealBand 2021 to addpresets for 64-bit PG DX plugins!

Release notes (build 3c, Jan 7 2021):
-Fixed: Running 32-bit realband.exe (Version 2020) is now supported.
-Added: Presets for 64-bit PG DX plugins.

The Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows® Special ENDS January 15th!

IT'S YOUR LAST WEEKEND TO SAVE UP TO 50% ON YOUR BAND-IN-A-BOX® UPGRADE!

We've extended our SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2021 Upgrade purchases until January 15, 2021, so there is still a little time left to save up to 50% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows Upgrade!

Customers LOVE Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows with over 50 new features, plus the 202 RealTracks, new RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, Artist Performances, Bonus RealDrums "Singles," RealDrums transcriptions, MultiStyles PAK 1, Xtra Styles PAK 10, the 2021 Free Bonus PAK, and 2021 49-PAK!

We've packed our Free Bonus PAK & 49-PAK with some amazing Add-ons! The Free Bonus PAK is automatically included with most Band-in-a-Box® for Windows 2021 packages, but for more even more Add-ons (including 40 Unreleased RealTracks) upgrade it to the 2021 49-PAK for only $49. You can see the full lists of items in each package, and listen to demos here.

Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available.

Learn more about all the new features in Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows

If you need any help deciding which package is the best option for you, just let us know. We are here to help!

Xtra Styles PAK 10 & MultiStyles PAK 1 - Special Extended to January 15th!

NEW Add-ons for Band-in-a-Box® 2020 - and we've extended our Xtra Styles PAK and MultiStyles PAK Special until January 15th!

Xtra Styles PAK 10 with 50 styles each for Country, Jazz, Rock-Pop, and Folk Celebration! These carefully crafted RealStyles include lo-fi acoustic guitar hip hop, triple-guitar garage rock, a barbeque boom-chick jam, slidin' lazy country blues, bolero and bossa nova fusion, a Gypsy and stride ballad, praise break organ jazz fusion, surfin' folk rock, barn dance old-time stomp 'n' clap, an acoustic folky blues jam, and so much more!

Introducing MultiStyles PAK 1! 30 MultiStyles containing 120 styles - that's a total of 150 Styles! We've included 10 MultiStyles each for Country, Jazz, and Rock-Pop. Our jazz greats MultiStyle allows you to switch between piano and guitar comping, or select from two different solos. Our Jamaican groove selecta allows you to switch from ska at one section to reggae, island groove, or reggae with sax solo at another. A Tex-Mex country MultiStyle allows you to switch between a regular-time and double-time feel. And that's just the beginning. There's so much more in store! Once you dive into these professionally-mixed MultiStyles, you'll wonder how you ever made due with only two substyles per song! Use one substyle for a softer intro, another one for a restrained breakdown, then throw in a different and energetic middle-eight, or change it up with a solo. The possibilities are endless!

And they're ON SALE until January 15th!

Xtra Styles PAK 10, and ALL our Xtra Styles PAKs, are on sale for $29 (reg. $49) each! Haven't purchased Xtra Styles yet, but now you want them all? The COMPLETE collection of Xtra Styles PAKs 1-10 with over 1,600 RealStyles can be yours for only $199 (reg. $349)! There's also an option to purchase the newest Xtra Styles PAKs 9 & 10 for Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for a bundle price of $49, if you missed out on our previous special! www.pgmusic.com/xtrastyles.php?os=mac

Purchase MultiStyles PAK 1 for only $19 (reg. $29)!

Windows user? Click here for your OS specific product announcement.

Update Your Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows Today!

We've updated our Band-in-a-Box® 2021 Windows version to address a few user-reported program issues and requests. Band-in-a-Box® 2021 users can update for free here.

Have you been using your Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows purchase and not applied any patch updates yet? Make sure you download the latest free patch update to access some great Bonus "Half-time" and "Double-time" RealStyles!

Total of new styles is:
-111 new RealStyles
-80 new RealTracks variations.
-27 new RealDrums variations.

This includes:
-variations of existing 16th-based bluegrass.
-variations of existing celtic and train beat styles.
-new styles with both 8th-based and 16th variations.
-16th-based samba variations.

Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows - Special Extended to January 15th!

SALE EXTENDED TO JANUARY 15TH!
Save up to 50% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows Upgrade during our special!

Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows is here, with over 50 new features, 202 RealTracks, new RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, Artist Performances, Bonus RealDrums "Singles," RealDrums transcriptions, MultiStyles PAK 1, Xtra Styles PAK 10, and more!

We've packed our Free Bonus PAK & 49-PAK with some amazing Add-ons! The Free Bonus PAK is automatically included with most Band-in-a-Box® for Windows 2021 packages, but for more even more Add-ons (including 40 Unreleased RealTracks and the just-released MultiStyles PAK 1) upgrade it to the 2021 49-PAK for only $49. You can see the full lists of items in each package, and listen to demos here.

Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available

If you need any help deciding which package is the best option for you, just let us know. We are here to help!

Learn more about all the new features in Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows.

More Bonus Styles for Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows!

Download the latest update for Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows and you'll add more Bonus "Half-time" and "Double-time" RealStyles!

Total of new styles is:
-111 new RealStyles
-80 new RealTracks variations.
-27 new RealDrums variations.

This includes:
-variations of existing 16th-based bluegrass.
-variations of existing celtic and train beat styles.
-new styles with both 8th-based and 16th variations.
-16th-based samba variations.

Learn how to use this new content with our latest video.

This FREE UPDATE for existing 2021 users also includes many enhancements to the DAW Plugin!

Learn more & download now.

Happy Holidays from PG Music Inc.

We hope that everyone gets a chance to enjoy this holiday season, even with all its challenges!

Our holiday hours are:
Thursday, December 24: 6:00AM to 6:00PM PST (GMT -8)
Friday, December 25: Closed
Saturday, December 26: 7:00AM to 6:00PM PST (GMT -8)

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

Forum Stats
33685 Members
67 Forums
67619 Topics
578662 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
Old Way, astore, manolitofagot, Pure Records, socagamer

33684 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
VideoTrack 310