#279168 01/10/15 04:28 AM
User Showcase
boehm Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I Miss You

Hi all,

I felt like taking part in another remix contest the other day. (remixcomps.com/contest/coke-montilla-feat-kate-lesing-remix-contest) (link no longer valid)
I downloaded the 12 stems, but only used the vocals. I totally reharmonized the song and so it is completely different from the original and all the other contestants. And that’s a good thing.
It was rather time-consuming to find appropriate chords on my keyboard and I finally used them for a string track.
RT464_Bass, Acoustic, Bossa Ev 140
RT2288_ Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm BossaKenny Ev 140
RT1449_ Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm GypsyJazzLatin
RT476_Sax, Alto, Bossa Ev 140 (Bluesy)
RealDrums-JazzFunkFiery^1-SStkHH,SnrHH

https://soundcloud.com/boehmusic/coke-montilla-feat-kate-lesing-i-miss-you-boehmusic-remix

I hope you enjoy.

Guenter

Last edited by Andrew - PG Music; 09/26/17 02:00 PM.
boehm #279170 01/10/15 04:35 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I love remix contests.... they give you the chance to work with tracks that you didn't record and tend to be well recorded.

I clicked on the link to a different version..... then I said that ain't the right track..... then found your link.

OK.... nice version. I'd bring the vox up quite a bit.... the singer is the star and needs to be heard better.

Nice choice using jazz tracks...

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
boehm #279183 01/10/15 05:19 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Wow, Guenter...

Your version is a HUGE improvement over what is on the linked page (is that the original or a contestants version? - it's hard to listen to).

You make this look too easy - but I take your word for it that it was time consuming. It sounds as though it is what it was meant to be from the start. I agree with Herb that the vocal could come up slightly.

A great listen. Catchy. Had me dancing (in my chair... no one wants to see otherwise - just ask my wife...)

floyd

boehm #279186 01/10/15 05:38 AM
User Showcase
boehm Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi Herb and Floyd,

thanks for taking the time for listening and commenting.
The first one on the linked page is the original.
I always take my time when mixing and let it "simmer" for two or three days to get my ears regenerated. And for me the volume of the vocals is ok.

Guenter

boehm #279229 01/10/15 11:19 AM
User Showcase
G
Veteran
Veteran
G
I agree with Floyd that your version is much nicer than the original! This is a great track. Really enjoyable listen. Dig it! Take care. Greg

boehm #279234 01/10/15 11:58 AM
User Showcase
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
This is really nice and really good. It was quite ambitious to make such a drastic change from the original but your version is decidedly a more natural fit for the vocals than the original. Superb job. Good luck with the contest.

Charlie

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
boehm #279248 01/10/15 12:47 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
as usual, I can't get Sound Cloud to play. ;(

As soon as it works, I'll be back with my 2 cents' worth
----------later----------------------

Got it to play on a different computer!!

I actually like the original style of music (house, progressive, trance, whatever they call it), so I can't honestly dismiss the other entries because I don't like the style... but REMIX??? Give me a break!! They all sounded the same!!

Yours is the ONLY one that actually cast the melody in a different light at all... and for that reason, if they pick 4, I would be inclined to think you have a pretty good chance of being in that group (depending on their criteria for making the decision... if it's anything like "WE WANT 4 SONGS THAT SOUND JUST LIKE THE ORIGINAL" then you won't win. Good. You wouldn't want to win by those guidelines!

Another thing I notice is that the lyrics are noticeably clearer in your mix than in 90% of the other mixes. Maybe they aren't usually mixing songs that have vocals and they don't have a plan for bringing them forward in the mix... but that's the first thing I noticed when I got to yours...

But Guenter... how do you do this??? I can't even imagine a starting point for doing what you've done here! But I see why you like these remix contests... you're really good at this kind of song mod sorcery!

Did you ever hear anything from the other remix contest you entered? I thought your entry in that contest was the best one too.

Please keep us posted... I'm very curious to hear what they think is a good remix. But, regarding yours... I am very impressed!

PS: I notice some of the remix artists gave their version a different name besides I MISS YOU.
You could have named yours "HOW CAN I MISS YOU IF YOU WON'T GO AWAY?"
wink

boehm #279257 01/10/15 01:23 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Dang Guenter! I can't imagine how
tedious (and creative) it was to build
all that around the vocal. If they
wanted a remix well by gosh they
got one!

Of course we are biased :-) but we
think it by far sounds the best of
those posted.

Your creative streaks seem to have no
boundaries.

J&B

boehm #279264 01/10/15 01:40 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi, Guenter !:))

This is really nice, in fact superb !:))
I like your remix very much !!!

Cheers
Dani

boehm #279367 01/11/15 06:37 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Guenter, That must take a lot of time to do that. I know I wouldn't have the patience for it. It sounds wonderful and totally different from the original track. You should win just based on the originality of your piece. You are the master of these remixes. Please let us know how the contest turns out. I enjoyed my listen. Tom

boehm #279370 01/11/15 07:15 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Guenter. This is quite amazing. Quite wonderful how you manage to make this transformation. Very interesting. Love the choice of the jazzy mix.

LyricLab A.I assisted chords and lyric app. Export lyrics and import directly into Band-in-a-Box 2024.
https://lyriclab.net
Play-along with songs you know and love, download SGU files
https://playiit.com/
boehm #279452 01/11/15 01:59 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
hi all been said here you pulled it off great work thanks for sharing eric

AMD (TM) 5950 4.9 GHz 16Core Processor 64 bit 32 bits of ram windows 10 pro 64 bit os. sound card Antelope ZenQ guitars Ibanez 2202a 1968 les Paul Custom and Cavin ae 185 Guitar boss Gt-100,GT1000 pedal Yamaha HS8 studio monitors
boehm #279482 01/11/15 03:49 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Listened to and enjoyed. laugh

Different is good!

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
boehm #279522 01/11/15 11:24 PM
User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Hi Guenter,
I dindn't knew this type of contest existed. I find it very interesting, maybe I take a shot at one in the future!
Your production is very strong. And not out of style, if you listen to productions like Marc Moulins'
I like it very much. In this style the vocals blend more into the music, so I think that's ok to.
Will it pass the jury? Well, it's a jury thing, but that's less important. It's a good study, and I've learned something out of it.

G

Fred

boehm #279610 01/12/15 08:05 AM
User Showcase
boehm Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi Greg, Charlie, Pat, Janice & Bud, Dani, Tommy, Joanne, Eric, David and Fred,

thank you all for taking the time to listen and your very nice comments.
I was not among the winners, but that was predictable, because my version wouldn't fit on a CD of EDM style.
There was another nice contribution:
https://soundcloud.com/mantrarec/i-miss-you-wallace-tungsten-remix
He didn't win either, of course.
@Pat: The reason why some have different titles is that they sneaked in different songs.

Guenter

boehm #279667 01/12/15 11:48 AM
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
masterfully done, you have a great ear!

boehm #279778 01/13/15 05:07 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Guenter,

Your remix certainly sounds better than the original.
The vocals get louder after some time, (at least, that is what we noticed), from that moment on they sound better.
Nice work.

Rob and Anne-Marie

We are Rob Meulman and Anne-Marie Bovenkamp from The Netherlands.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1gsdNLE7_Gy8qavoOplQow/videos
http://rnam.net/

boehm #279901 01/14/15 01:56 AM
User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Hi Guenter,

I'm a bit late to the party here but can only echo the other praise.

It almost sounds like your track was the original piece and the other entries took the vocals from it and placed them against a standard dance track backing.

This clearly took a lot of effort on your part and the end result is superb. Congrats!

Rec

BIAB 2022 UltraPAK, CbB, Studio One 5 Pro, Fender USA Tele, Harley Benton Fusion & others.
boehm #279921 01/14/15 04:50 AM
User Showcase
boehm Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi Lawrence, Rob & Anne-Marie and Rec,

thanks a lot for taking the time to listen and for your most kind comments.

Guenter

boehm #279975 01/14/15 10:32 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I listened to your version then some snippets of some of the other versions. The others sounded too much like the original whereas yours was pure magic! Of course I do like jazz a whole lot more than other genres.

Yours is the winner in my book.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,389
Posts732,447
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195