Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
RealBand
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Before I bother support.. does anybody recall this happening before.. and maybe a solution?

When I first boot up and start RB, no problem.
If I run BIAB first, then open RB I get the following error messages:

"THE ASIO SAMPLE RATE IS NOT SUPPORTED BY ONE OF THE USB INTERFACES... PLEASE CHECK YOUR SYNCH SETTINGS IN CONTROL PANEL"
(everything in control panel is set the same as in RB)

then as soon as that error is gone, I get:
"YOUR ASIO DRIVER IS A MAC BASED FORMAT... THIS PROGRAM DOES NOT SUPPORT MAC BASED FORMATS"
(that error repeats 3 times in a row)

Then I get this error:
"ERROR STARTING ASIO DRIVER... IF ERROR PERSISTS RESTART WINDOWS"

Restarting windows does fix it, but it happens so predictably, I have to wonder what's causing it.

I should probably add that If I start RB right after bootup and everything works fine, then close it and reopen immediately... I get the same cluster of errors.

Any thoughts?

I have the latest driver for the audio interface (which is an M-Audio Ozone keyboard)
Computer is DELL Inspiron 8 Gigs ram, Windows 7 Home Premium, build 7601

RealBand
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I should also mention that if I exit both RB and BIAB, no program should be using ASIO. But if I turn off my audio interface, the PC locks up and I eventually get a blue screen. This is the same thing that has always happened if I turn off the audio interface while its in use.

Its as though the programs aren't releasing ASIO when I exit.

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Sounds like the 'System' may be reserving the ASIO driver, and being a 'one man dog' the next application suffers. Especially if it happens in multiple apps.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
RealBand
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Good point... can you recommend a workaround? Reboot? Always?
That would be a pain, but I like it better than the blue screen I'm getting

is there a time requirement for windows to relinquish control? Maybe I'm just jumpin' the gun...?

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
That's one I would be calling tech for the answers.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
RealBand
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I am dead in the water here.

for some reason my email won't send new messages... so I can't email PGMusic about it.

I tried calling, but they just give a recorded message and there is no opportunity to wait for an available operator. After the recorded message the call ends.

I tried live chat... but that's apparently for software installation help, not tech problems. He told me to call the toll free number with the recorded message.

I guess next step is to contact my ISP and find out why my email won't email.

I hate when you have to solve one problem before you can solve another problem so you can solve another problem
wink

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Pat, why do you need ASIO for BIAB? Can't you get by with MME and then save the ASIO driver for RB where you need it for recording? I run BIAB (MME) concurrent with Reaper and reserve the ASIO for Reaper. Would that work for you?

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
By the way, what audio interface? ..and what ASIO? Is it current?

Oh, and remember I have not yet installed my BIAB2015....

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

RealBand
L
Veteran
Veteran
L
Hi Pat

I remember that I had a funny message when I first opened BIAB 2015 which suggested that I had compatibility problems with my ASIO driver and the program. The message suggested that I check the advanced settings in the Control Panel for Sound Playback/Record in Windows. I found that in the Advanced Pages, for the devices I was using. that they had been set to a default 24 bit studio quality. I changed this to 16 bit CD Quality and have had no problems since.

There are still oddities. I now cannot use MME drivers in BIAB and ASIO Drivers in RB - they work better with ASIO selected in both programs.

The current soundcard was installed some 12 months ago and has operated flawlessly until the above.

Last edited by LynB; 01/18/15 12:27 AM.
RealBand
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks Lyn! Sounds exactly like my symptoms... I'll look at this.. I appreciate your help!

Interesting , though, that the same device with the same windows settings does not generate any errors when used with BIAB... only with RB

RealBand
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: LynB
Hi Pat

I remember that I had a funny message when I first opened BIAB 2015 which suggested that I had compatibility problems with my ASIO driver and the program. The message suggested that I check the advanced settings in the Control Panel for Sound Playback/Record in Windows. I found that in the Advanced Pages, for the devices I was using. that they had been set to a default 24 bit studio quality. I changed this to 16 bit CD Quality and have had no problems since.

Lyn, as a followup to your suggestion:
I went back to control panel to check the windows configuration of the audio interface. I thought I had already made sure they were alike, but apparently not. Windows said 24bit, RB said 16bit.

So I changed everything to 16 bit. But even after restarting windows, returning to factory settings etc I still get error messages.

So I switched to a different audio interface and the error went away. Must have been something about the previous device that RB didn't like.

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
What was the previous Audio Interface Pat?

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
RealBand
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
previous interface was an M-audio oxygen MIDI controller/audio interface

New interface is a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4

But today I'm getting different results. The scarlett has no problems running ASIO in BIAB, but in RB if I switch from MME to ASIO it sounds very slow and distorted.

It doesn't make sense that it runs fine BIAB but not in RB

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Pat Marr
previous interface was an M-audio oxygen MIDI controller/audio interface

New interface is a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4

But today I'm getting different results. The scarlett has no problems running ASIO in BIAB, but in RB if I switch from MME to ASIO it sounds very slow and distorted.

It doesn't make sense that it runs fine BIAB but not in RB

Pat you probably already know this but ASIO is a one horse operation. Thus if you have BiaB open using ASIO then also open RB with ASIO the driver goes nuts and messes something up.

I do not record in BiaB so I use MME in it and ASIO in Sonar and I have absolutely no problems running both at the same time.

If you already knew this then sorry about the redundancy.

I want my last spoken words to be "I hid a million dollars under the........................"

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
RealBand
L
Veteran
Veteran
L
It depends on the ASIO device used. I use a Creative ASIO Driver with which I can actually play BIAB and RB tracks at the same time.

RealBand
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I'm like you in yet another way Mario! I don't normally need ASIO in BIAB since I don't record in that environment. I just set it up to use the ASIO driver as "process of elimination" test to see if the ASIO driver failed in every application, or if it only failed in RB.

The ASIO works fine in BIAB. So there must be something different about the way that RB uses it. Still researching and bugging support people at both companies.

Thanks for offering your thoughts! We're on the same page!

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Have you actually changed BiaB to be MME, rebooted and then launched RB and tried ASIO?

Just curious.

ASIO is indeed a one man dog, and some drivers can switch between applications without problem while others don't seem to get properly 'released' for use in another program. I'm wondering if you are opening BiaB (or any audio program) and the drivers don't get properly released for RB. The most basic test is to set everything to MME, reboot (so Windows settings clear) and then try ASIO in RB.
That would determine that the RB/driver combo is an issue ..
or maybe a setting in the Oxygen is itself is errant. You said you changed everything in the computer to be 16 bit .. but if the Oxygen itself is set to be sending 24 bit you may have adjusted everything the wrong way.
.. then comes the 24/44 or 24/48 question .. some devices only support one of these.

Sorry, but lots of testing options came to mind when I read this.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
RealBand
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
bob,

Most of the time I only use RB, nothing else. Booting up from scratch I still get problems.

If the oxygen was set to 24, then it would have NEVER worked.. but it does work sometimes. I think the OXYgen had some problems though, and I'm not sure what all it might be affecting. So I took it out of the equations and started using a Focusrite 2i4. It also has problems with ASIO, but not the same ones as the oxygen.

RealBand
L
Veteran
Veteran
L
I have an Oxygen 49 which I use to enter Midi notes, test chords etc. It comes with a lot of sliders and knobs most of which I do not use.

I have set up the 49 Driver as Input only and get it to work by selecting a specific Midi track with the output to an external Midi Synth (not DXi/VSTi). It is necessary to activate the connection at the start by clicking on the Program Column (in the Classic Tracks Window) and selecting the Patch via the Patch Panel. Once started, you can select different tracks/patches although, if you hear a piano unintentionally selected then repeat the patch setup as above.

It is a pity that changes in the 2015 RB version (accidental I hope) have changed the way in which selecting Midi Patches as above works as more keystrokes are now required.

RealBand
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: LynB
I have an Oxygen 49 which I use to enter Midi notes, test chords etc. It comes with a lot of sliders and knobs most of which I do not use.

I have set up the 49 Driver as Input only and get it to work by selecting a specific Midi track with the output to an external Midi Synth (not DXi/VSTi). It is necessary to activate the connection at the start by clicking on the Program Column (in the Classic Tracks Window) and selecting the Patch via the Patch Panel. Once started, you can select different tracks/patches although, if you hear a piano unintentionally selected then repeat the patch setup as above.

It is a pity that changes in the 2015 RB version (accidental I hope) have changed the way in which selecting Midi Patches as above works as more keystrokes are now required.

I don't understand what you mean here Lyn.. I don't see a change for the worse... in fact I was just thinking yesterday that it seems easier to me now when I have to change MIDI patches.

I used to have to alternate between right click and left click, but now left click does it all... they've even set the patches up in multiple ways so you can either enter a patch number, or pick it from a pick list.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,662
Posts735,546
Members38,532
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Jeffrey thomas, skyanderson3, akbrpra, Benfil77, William L
38,532 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 173