You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#288568 - 03/19/15 11:51 AM [User Showcase] My 1st (Unfinished) Song Post
Loc: Midwest
HearToLearn Offline
Expert

This is my first posting of a song ever. I just wanted to see how BIAB and RB worked, and then try uploading to soundcloud.

50 Years-Rough Version

About the writing and production...It's not even close to finished. I am still adding another chorus at the end, but am figuring out timing yet on that.

It's also not mixed yet...pretty obvious!

This is ALL new to me.

The song itself is an anniversary song for my parents. It's basically their story. That being said, it's not so much for a "general" audience. If I was writing for airplay, I wouldn't be so specific wink

Also, a BIG thank you to jazzmandan for helping me with some chording issues I had. I don't have an ear for that kind of thing, so it's greatly appreciated!

-Verse 1-
He was from a small town
A big family
One of fourteen children
about as close as you could be
She was from that same small town
and a smaller family
it was just two brothers and her
She one of three

The same side of the tracks
but two different worlds
coming together
to wed
boy and girl…

-Chorus-
Now Fifty years
goes by just like that
live every moment
make every moment last

Treasure every day
as another day
to say "I do"
Fifty years goes by
Just like that

-Verse 2-
They had two sons of their own
Now grandchildren too
Though it seems like yesterday
That they said "I do"
There's so many memories
from such an awesome life
Shared by two people in love
as husband and wife

A great example
of what love truly is
Love's what they have
Because...
Love's what they give

Edited by HearToLearn (03/19/15 01:01 PM)

#288573 - 03/19/15 12:42 PM [User Showcase] Re: My 1st (Unfinished) Song Post [Re: HearToLearn]
Loc: Murgon Queensland Australia
Rob4580 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Murgon Queensland Australia
Very nicely presented.
You have an excellent voice that really fits the style.
The back ground vocals remind me of the eagles.
Above average write for me.
Love to hear this when its finished.
Rob

#288575 - 03/19/15 01:17 PM [User Showcase] Re: My 1st (Unfinished) Song Post [Re: HearToLearn]
Loc: Davis, CA
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Loc: Davis, CA
You are not new at this. It's quite obvious!! I'll Steal Floyd Jane's line: This ain't your first rodeo. Beautiful song, beautiful vocals, sweet arrangement with just the right amount of instrumentation. If there's one thing I would change, it would be to replace the word "awesome" just because it is so overused it has lost it's meaning (which I think is exactly the meaning you wanted). Great stuff!! I hope you continue to post. Take care. Greg

#288576 - 03/19/15 01:23 PM [User Showcase] Re: My 1st (Unfinished) Song Post [Re: HearToLearn]
Loc: Chicago
MusicStudent Offline
Veteran

Loc: Chicago
Now don't you feel better you got this first effort out? Nice job with this one.
SoundCloud

#288578 - 03/19/15 01:39 PM [User Showcase] Re: My 1st (Unfinished) Song Post [Re: HearToLearn]
Loc: Florida
90 dB Offline
Veteran

Brilliant.

I dub thee "Here To Teach". grin

Danny Fogelberg....is that you?

Regards,

Bob

https://90dbband.bandcamp.com/

https://soundcloud.com/90-db

#288580 - 03/19/15 02:08 PM [User Showcase] Re: My 1st (Unfinished) Song Post [Re: HearToLearn]
Loc: The Netherlands
RnAM Offline
Veteran

Loc: The Netherlands
Hello HearToLearn,

Welcome to the forum! What realtracks did you use? (It's more or less a forum rule to write them down too).

Anyway, a very, very professional first post!
Your voice, which is beautiful, sounds almost exactly like Don Henley, and the backing vocals almost similar to the Eagles.

Hope this isn't your last post.

Regards,
R & AM

RnAM Homepage (completely restyled)
YouTube Channel

#288597 - 03/19/15 03:13 PM [User Showcase] Re: My 1st (Unfinished) Song Post [Re: MusicStudent]
Loc: South Carolina
Charlie Fogle Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Carolina
Originally Posted By: jazzmandan
Now don't you feel better you got this first effort out? Nice job with this one.

Yes, it seems the first post is the hardest hurdle. Great first post.

Charlie

#288601 - 03/19/15 03:29 PM [User Showcase] Re: My 1st (Unfinished) Song Post [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
Pat Marr Offline
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
You are not new at this. It's quite obvious!! I'll Steal Floyd Jane's line: This ain't your first rodeo. Beautiful song, beautiful vocals, sweet arrangement with just the right amount of instrumentation.

indeed.

I think this is one of those cases where the person apologizes for lack of preparation to set our expectations at a low level, then resets our expectations by blowing the roof off!

You have an EXCELLENT voice, and the quality of everything else says a lot about your musical experience! Welcome to the game! I have a feeling we're going to be hearing a lot more from you!

At least I HOPE so!

#288608 - 03/19/15 04:32 PM [User Showcase] Re: My 1st (Unfinished) Song Post [Re: HearToLearn]
HearToLearn Offline
Expert

Ok, many things to cover...

First the real tracks I'm using (now I know to do that!)

Style is _SL16PNO.STY (16th PopBallad with Piano [65RS])

RealTracks in style: 1592:Bass, Electric, Pop16ths Ev 065
RealTracks in style: 1602:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm Pop16 Ev16 065
RealTracks in style: 1596:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming Pop16ths Ev16 065
RealTracks in style: 1601:Mandolin, Rhythm Pop16Melodic Ev 065
RealTracks in song: ~369:Pedal Steel, Background Ev 065
RealTracks in song: 1543:Synth Pad, PopBelieve Ev16 065
RealDrums in style: NashvilleEven16^5-a:Snare, HiHat , b:Snare, Ride

Next, and a BIG thing to cover, the vocal...that's not me! That is a singer I have available from work. I work with a lot of musicians and vocalists. I always try to use talent better than myself whenever possible. So, that's not hard to do. lol!

As far as the use of the word "awesome", I'm with you! smile The reason that was used is, my parents often use the phrase "such an awesome life." So it plays specifically to them. Thanks for the honesty though!

I was REALLY please to hear the Eagles sound was being heard. They like the harmonies of the Eagles and they also like Kenny Rogers ballads. I was trying to go somewhere in between.

I am exited to mix it as best as I can. I'm not playing down where I am with my love of song writing. I have studied it and it's a passion for me.

The technical side of production is where I am truly lacking. That is why I I state things as I do. It will be a HUGE learning experience for me. It is going to take time. I am looking forward to learning from all of you! That is why I picked the name "Hear to learn"...it's actually to remind myself to working on the "hearing"/technical part.

Again, thank you for all for all of the input. It means a lot to me that people take the time to comment. That's not lost on me, with how busy people are.

And lastly, it feels REALLY good to actually get this first pseudo post out of the way! I'm here for the long haul! Thanks for all of the inspiration I see in the forums! smile

#288609 - 03/19/15 04:34 PM [User Showcase] Re: My 1st (Unfinished) Song Post [Re: HearToLearn]
HearToLearn Offline
Expert

I'm also noticing I will have to start using " "'s and names when responding to make things easier to read.

Learning!

#288630 - 03/19/15 07:15 PM [User Showcase] Re: My 1st (Unfinished) Song Post [Re: HearToLearn]
Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
boehm Offline
Veteran

Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
Hi whatever your name is,

wow, what a great first post!
Welcome to the forum.
You picked a beautiful voice and
background vocals.
If that is a first draft then I'm looking
forward to the end result.
Only nit: you cut the ending.

Guenter

#288633 - 03/19/15 07:50 PM [User Showcase] Re: My 1st (Unfinished) Song Post [Re: boehm]
HearToLearn Offline
Expert

Quote:
Hi whatever your name is

Hello to you as well! I go by Caaron (pronounced like "see aaron")

Thank you very much for the kind words. It is a work in progress to be sure, along with a few others I have in the works. I'm really like these programs! A song writers dream!

Quote:
Only nit: you cut the ending

I'm glad you noticed that. It shows people really do pay attention on here! That's actually not the ended. It is going to go into a break and one last chorus. I just needed to figure out a few things on how to do it with the program.

Thanks again for the input, I really appreciate any feedback smile

#288634 - 03/19/15 08:11 PM [User Showcase] Re: My 1st (Unfinished) Song Post [Re: HearToLearn]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Caaron,

Welcome to the Showcase! "Awesome" first post!

Zowie! What a singer! He sounds very much like a friend and co-writer of mine - who was looked at hard by several labels for a deal... Your guy is that good... the background vocals are beautiful, too - did the same person do those, as well?

Your arrangement is excellent. Nicely balanced and allowing the vocals (and lyric) to shine. The mix is nice. I think the drums are a tad soft (meaning too low) - everything else is right where it needs to be. (as Guenter mentioned the ending is cut, but you already addressed that)

Very nice prosody in your writing. Very reminiscent of Dan Fogelberg (I'm surprised that Greg did not mention that). Simple wording that doesn't sound simple as it is sung - that is not easy to pull off. And a beautiful message. Excellent melody, too...

Well done. Looking forward to what's to come...

floyd

#288646 - 03/20/15 04:30 AM [User Showcase] Re: My 1st (Unfinished) Song Post [Re: HearToLearn]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

Yup... you certainly arrived with a grand entrance....

Not only did you set the bar higher for the rest of us, you did for yourself too. That's a good thing.

Be cautious about adding too much to the song. Don't make it longer for the simple sake of making it longer.

You also know the secret to success.... surrounding yourself with folks who are better at things than you.... Everyone should always strive to "write/work up"....as they say in Nashville.

Great first song.

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music

#288659 - 03/20/15 06:16 AM [User Showcase] Re: My 1st (Unfinished) Song Post [Re: floyd jane]
HearToLearn Offline
Expert

Originally Posted By: floyd jane
The mix is nice. I think the drums are a tad soft (meaning too low) - everything else is right where it needs to be.

floyd

Hi floyd! Thanks for the input all the way around! You may laugh when I say this, but I'm always paranoid of the drums being too loud. I'm a drummer and always hear all the jokes about the drummer (or lead guitarist, or lead singer) wanting to be louder in the mix. So this is a great thing to have you say!

Originally I was thinking of leaving the drums out all together. I was focusing on the sounds my parents like and point out in songs. Then I remembered, they have always been proud of my accomplishments as a drummer, so I should probably have SOME in there!

Lastly, I would much rather get my own drumming in there. BIAB has done a great job of creating drums to work with, no doubt. But, I would really like to be able to add the one element myself.

A quick example...I feel, in the second chorus, the snare is much to low in the mix and/or just not beefy enough. From what I'm guessing, there isn't much I can do about it, because it's part of the track. I did consider laying some additional samples, but am also thinking I may just do my own drums at that point...but then that leads in to all of the things I don't know yet...eq, effects, etc...

I feel a steep learning curve coming on.

That being said, I am going to start a thread on drums sounds to have record of where this all goes. I like to be able to refer back, and/or have others see the great advice from others.

Thanks for the response on views!

#288660 - 03/20/15 06:22 AM [User Showcase] Re: My 1st (Unfinished) Song Post [Re: Guitarhacker]
HearToLearn Offline
Expert

Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Yup... you certainly arrived with a grand entrance....

Not only did you set the bar higher for the rest of us, you did for yourself too. That's a good thing.

I am here because of the bar that was set by all of you! Thank you for the compliments!

Quote:
Be cautious about adding too much to the song. Don't make it longer for the simple sake of making it longer.

Agreed! I am only adding one additional chorus and natural ending. I work shopped it and it seems to play out better. I will have the other version (hopefully) fairly soon and I would welcome your input on your preference between the two. Thanks!

Quote:
You also know the secret to success.... surrounding yourself with folks who are better at things than you.... Everyone should always strive to "write/work up"....as they say in Nashville.

Agreed. I am not going to be an island when the world of song writing and production is at our finger tips. There is so much greatness going on right here. I learned years ago to surround yourself with people who have skills you may not have right now...possibly ever. Standing on the shoulders of giants my friend!

Thank you again!

#288661 - 03/20/15 06:36 AM [User Showcase] Re: My 1st (Unfinished) Song Post [Re: HearToLearn]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: HearToLearn
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
The mix is nice. I think the drums are a tad soft (meaning too low) - everything else is right where it needs to be.

floyd

Hi floyd! Thanks for the input all the way around! You may laugh when I say this, but I'm always paranoid of the drums being too loud. I'm a drummer and always hear all the jokes about the drummer (or lead guitarist, or lead singer) wanting to be louder in the mix. So this is a great thing to have you say!

....A quick example...I feel, in the second chorus, the snare is much to low in the mix and/or just not beefy enough. From what I'm guessing, there isn't much I can do about it, because it's part of the track. I did consider laying some additional samples, but am also thinking I may just do my own drums at that point...but then that leads in to all of the things I don't know yet...eq, effects, etc...

I got a chuckle out of that... It's usually guitar players who mix drums too low... A drummer who mixes drums too low... HA! that's a new one on me... (still chuckling)

You can process the BIAB drum tracks to bring out different aspects. With the right EQ and compression, you can make that snare POP!... or if you are willing to spend the time, adding a snare sample on top of each of the snare hits (I also do the kick sometimes) works wonders.

There was a good post in the tips and tricks section (posted by Mario) that is a great way to get some control of a combined drums track.
http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=273337&gonew=1#UNREAD

It would be great to hear someone adding their own, too!!!

#288674 - 03/20/15 08:38 AM [User Showcase] Re: My 1st (Unfinished) Song Post [Re: HearToLearn]
HearToLearn Offline
Expert

Quote:
I got a chuckle out of that... It's usually guitar players who mix drums too low... A drummer who mixes drums too low... HA! that's a new one on me... (still chuckling)

That can be a secret between just us...and the internet. I may not be considered a drummer if my fellow drummers see what I did! Would I officially (finally) be considered a musician then? Would this one act have be able to "cross over."

Quote:
You can process the BIAB drum tracks to bring out different aspects. With the right EQ and compression, you can make that snare POP!... or if you are willing to spend the time, adding a snare sample on top of each of the snare hits (I also do the kick sometimes) works wonders.

There was a good post in the tips and tricks section (posted by Mario) that is a great way to get some control of a combined drums track.
http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=273337&gonew=1#UNREAD

Great info, thanks! I watched the video and there are some really great tips there!

Quote:
It would be great to hear someone adding their own, too!!!

That's what I'm hoping for. It opens a bunch of new cans of worms though. It can be a bit overwhelming! All for the love of expression though!

Thank you for taking the time to respond!

#288692 - 03/20/15 11:00 AM [User Showcase] Re: My 1st (Unfinished) Song Post [Re: HearToLearn]
tommyad Offline
Veteran

What a great first post! Nice write and production. Louder Drums Please. I would also put a little reverb on the vocal. Nicely sung. It's very exciting to hear something this good from a new member. Welcome, Tom

#288724 - 03/20/15 03:09 PM [User Showcase] Re: My 1st (Unfinished) Song Post [Re: HearToLearn]
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
VideoTrack Offline
Veteran

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
HTL, really nice arrangement, good lyrics and very well presented. Top song, and I really think you underestimated yourself.
Well done.
BIAB&RB2019(Audiophile),Win-10Pro, SonarPlatinum, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, KorgX3R, RodeNGT2, AM802mixer, NS40M StudioMonitors, Pioneer Act. Mons, AKG K271 Studio H'phones

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2019 on a USB 3.0 Hard Drive - Speed Thrills!

We're excited to say that all Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows UltraPAK and UltraPAK+ orders now ship on a USB 3.0 hard drive!

What does this mean? Faster hard drive transfer rates will enhance the program operations (faster time to generate tracks, reduced audio artifacts) and offer faster transfer speeds (typically up to 3x faster)!

It's a great time to order your UltraPAK or UltraPAK+ Upgrade... they're ON SALE until December 31st!

Band-in-a-Box® UltraPAK $469
Upgrade from Version 2018: [color:#FF0000]$149[/color] (reg: $279)
Upgrade from Version 2017 or earlier or crossgrade: [color:#FF0000]$169[/color] (reg: $299)

Band-in-a-Box® UltraPAK+ $569
Upgrade from Version 2018: [color:#FF0000]$179[/color] (reg: $379)
Upgrade from Version 2017 or earlier or crossgrade: [color:#FF0000]$199[/color] (reg: $399)
Note: The difference between the UltraPAK and the UltraPAK+ is that the MIDI Songs & Lessons PAK is included in the UltraPAK+ package.

Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows® New Features!

Our "Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows®! New Features, RealTracks, and other content!" video is now ready! Get to know all about the newest features in Band-in-a-Box® 2019: Click here to watch...

We have listed a table of contents for this video, you'll see it within the YouTube video description, or by visiting this forum post.

RealBand 2019 - A New Look!

Have you opened up your RealBand 2019 yet? You may notice that we've given it a fresh new look! In fact, there are now 3 different looks to RealBand.

See for yourself! Within the program, visit Options | Icon Set and choose from: Classic, Modern 1, or Modern 2.

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows - Choosing to Run 64-bit or 32-bit

We heard you! With the release of Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows we've included the BRAND NEW 64-bit version of Band-in-a-Box®, which works well with the latest plugins and 64-bit OS features! Because not everyone has a 64-bit computer, we include both the 64-bit and 32-bit versions with your purchase - you choose which one to use!

By default, when you install your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows the 32-bit version will run.

The steps to run the 64-bit version are simple! Just head to your "bb" folder and choose the "bbw64" icon - you'll notice that the Band-in-a-Box® "splash screen" will state "64-bit" as the program opens.
(and if you open the 32-bit version, the "splash screen" will state "32-bit")

Still not certain which version you're running? Within the program, go to Help | About Band-in-a-Box - it'll either state:

Band-in-a-Box® for Windows
Version 2019 (604)
<--- the number in brackets is the build number - this will change as new patch updates are released
64 bit application

or:

Band-in-a-Box® for Windows
Version 2019 (604)
<--- the number in brackets is the build number - this will change as new patch updates are released
32 bit application

We hope everyone who can is enjoying their Band-in-a-Box® 2019 64-bit version for Windows!

NEW! Style-style-style Additions and Enhancements in Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows!

With over 64 new features and enhancements in Band-in-a-Box® 2019, we've made sure to add to, enhance, and update some of the Style features within the program: StylePicker, StyleMaker, and Song Titles browser within the StylePicker!

StylePicker Enhancements:
-If the style list needs rebuild, it tells you that within the StylePicker, instead of a message that requires a response.
-The rebuild is faster than before by 75%. It takes 1/4 of the time now.
-While the style list is being rebuilt, you can see the progress inside the StylePicker.
-The style list can be filtered by a specific RealTracks/RealDrums/MIDI SuperTracks or RealTracks/MIDI SuperTracks in a certain number range.
-You can filter the style list by a specific Xtra Styles PAK.
-The dialog to select an Xtra Styles PAK has a button to take you to the PG Music website that shows information about Xtra Styles PAKs.
-The StylePicker can list all styles (including N/A styles) in the default display.
-The Set number display is improved, including sort by type and Xtra styles.

StyleMaker Improvements:

-The new MIDI velocity offset allows you to make styles with altered loudness for MIDI tracks.
-Styles can be saved with information like a memo, examples, genres, and more, which will be displayed in the StylePicker.
-You can import information from another style. This is useful when you are making a similar style.
-A style can have a huge number of RealTracks (up to 70!) because the StyleMaker now supports RealTracks multi/medley feature, which allows a single track to have up to 10 simultaneous playing of RealTracks.

Song Titles Browser Enhancement

-We’ve added 300 more song titles including requests from users, so there are now over 10,600 titles.
-The chord density filter is available, and it’s also displayed in the memo.
-The chord complexity filter is available.

Review all the new features of Band-in-a-Box® 2019 here.

NEW! Traditional Celtic Tunes with Artist Performance Set 9: Celtic Flute with Geoff Kelly

Purchase Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows during our special (which ends December 31st), and you can add the 49-PAK to your order for just $49!

Among the great Add-ons included in the 49-PAK is our Artist Performance Set 9: Celtic Flute with Geoff Kelly, which includes 18 traditional Celtic tunes! You'll find beautifully performed songs like Boys of Bluehill, The Cliffs of Moher, Harvest Home, Rolling in the Rye Glass, and more!

The Celtic RealTracks backing up performances by Geoff Kelly sound amazing, and so do the duets with previous Artist Performance musician Daniel Lapp (on fiddle)! Listen to all the demos for these Artists Performances near the bottom of our Bonus PAKs page, here.

Here's a taste: Demo: Rolling in the Rye Grass

The Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Bonus PAKs!

Purchase Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows during our special (which ends December 31st), and you'll receive a FREE Bonus PAK overflowing with great Add-ons, including MIDI SuperTracks Set 28: Pop Basses with 6 MIDI SuperTracks, 21 RealDrums Transcriptions, 120 guitar licks and riffs in Instrumental Studies 7: Brent Mason 12-key CountryPop Guitar Licks, and 15 new MIDI Styles!

Or, upgrade it to the 49-PAK for just $49 and you'll add 40 UNRELEASED RealTracks, 10 "Low Man" & Re-amped "12-Key" Metal/Thrash Electric Guitar RealTracks, 6 more MIDI SuperTracks with Set 29: More Organ, Piano & Accordion, 120 more guitar licks and riffs with Instrumental Studies 8: Brent Mason 12-key Train-Beat Licks, 15 more MIDI Styles, and Artist Performance Set 9: Celtic Flute with Geoff Kelly!

Watch the video highlighting our 49-PAK here, or listen to demos and learn more here.

Free Bonus PAK Contents:
-Look Ma! More MIDI 1
-21 RealDrums Transcriptions
-MIDI SuperTracks Set 28: Pop Basses
-Instrumental Studies 7: Brent Mason 12-key CountryPop Guitar Licks

2019 49-PAK Contents:
-40 Bonus RealTracks!
-10 "Low Man" and Re-amped "12-Key" Metal/Thrash Electric Guitar RealTracks
-Artist Performance Set 9: Celtic Flute with Geoff Kelly
-Instrumental Studies 8: Brent Mason 12-key Train-Beat Licks
-Look Ma! More MIDI 2
-MIDI SuperTracks Set 29: More Organ, Piano & Accordion