Options
Index
#88403 - 10/18/10 09:18 AM [User Showcase] Two for One
Loc: planet Earth
deltagolf Offline
Enthusiast

Hi all
By "Two for One" I mean two tunes out of the same chord sequence.
Been busy over the last couple of weekends having fun going through a lot of MIDI material, throwing various styles at it, when I stumbled over the chord sequence of an old song done by Jackie Wilson (Baby workout). I liked this Rock’n’Roll'ish sequence and started to mess around with BIAB's MIDI Melodist and Soloist. Changed next to nothing, extended the lenght by some bars and let BIAB compose a nice melody over it. Did some finetuning of the drum pattern (on a separate copy) and voilà, a new tune was born. I find the Melodist and Soloist being truly great features in BIAB and they can musically absolutely amaze at times. The MIDI-Piano was recorded out of BIAB (GM Acoustic Piano / Ketron SD2). The Bass track is a mixture of RealTracks and MIDI (also SD2). The rest is all Realtraks, mixed and blended in Samplitude, seasoned with some plug-ins to taste.

http://www.songramp.com/mod/mps/viewprivtrack.php?trackid=56888

Did I mention I like this chord sequence? So, for the fun of it (and I love the BIAB Soloists), I tried to create some sort of jammin’ in a bluesy style over the same chord sequence. At the end it grew into something more rocking than bluesy (turn-up the volume!). It's all BIAB RealTracks and Soloists. The harmonica track (clean harmonica) was run through a guitar amp.

http://www.songramp.com/mod/mps/viewprivtrack.php?trackid=56891

I hope you have as much fun listening as I had compiling them.

I'm still not quite sure about the mix and levels. After the usual tests with ear-buds, cans, car-stereo, home hi-fi and computer speakers I cannot decide on the low end and on the level of the solo instruments. The mix translates differently everywhere (typical rookie shortcomings and insecurity). Anyway, I would like to hear from you if I could improve them sound wise. The arrangements were done on the fly, both tracks have been done on a Sunday afternoon (finished “Second Round” at about 1.30 a.m.). My partner thinks I’m crazy. She’s jealous for I spend way more time with BIAB than with her (besides my daytime job). I guess I will have to change this, I know I know..

Cheers,
Daniel

PS, on a side note: The more I dig deeper into BIAB the more I wonder and ponder about the musical power as well as the programming skills and the amount of features in this one software package. I guess you all know this. It's not just RealTracks, also MIDI can be very strong on the musical side. I'd just like to mention that I think BIAB is an absolute production tool for anyone looking for inspiration (and fun). I wonder if and how many "Pro's" use this tool (maybe secretly) to come up with an inspiration for a melody or a phrase or riff. Probably not so much for Hip-Hop, Rap, Grunge and all the Trance/Dance/Acid/House/Goya/Techno stuff. I love the melodic and the jamming stuff and I wish I had discovered it a long time ago. But then I'd have lost my partner a long time ago as well..

#88404 - 10/19/10 05:14 AM [User Showcase] Re: Two for One [Re: deltagolf]
Loc: Australia
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Hi Daniel,

Well done! I applaud your effort. There's a great deal of musicality evident in your preparation of these works. I really like the ragtime piano feel that Bubbly Fingers has. I'm a long time fan of the late Winnie Atwell and your song took me back to her era. In Second Round, the raw grittiness was a perfect fit. The production on both works is excellent. I can't believe that you assembled these so quickly!

Good luck with the next ones!
Noel

#88405 - 10/19/10 07:52 AM [User Showcase] Re: Two for One [Re: Noel96]
deltagolf Offline
Enthusiast

Thank you Noel for your kind and uplifting comments (as always) ;-)
Even though I am quite lazy on commenting on other peoples works, I must admit that I like constructive criticism which may help to get better and a better.
Daniel
PS: there is always a couple of "next ones" - but nothing really finished/polished though...

#88406 - 10/20/10 11:28 AM [User Showcase] Re: Two for One [Re: deltagolf]
Loc: Pine Bluff, Arkansas
retake Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Pine Bluff, Arkansas
Daniel, I really like how you have compiled these tunes. It is amazing what BIAB can do and more amazing what can be done with BIAB in the right hands.

Steve

#88407 - 10/20/10 02:22 PM [User Showcase] Re: Two for One [Re: retake]
Loc: Hamlin NY
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
Daniel, great work here. I really liked Bubbly fingers! Super blend here.

Second Round was also very good. Another good blend.

Like you the more I dig into BiaB the more gems I discover.

BiaB + a musician = super output. That is the case here.

64 bit Win 10 Pro - the latest BiaB and RB - Roland Octa-Capture audio interface - a ton of software and some hardware.

#88408 - 10/21/10 02:13 AM [User Showcase] Re: Two for One [Re: MarioD]
deltagolf Offline
Enthusiast

Hello Steve and Mario
Thank you for your kind words. Just finished with some minor mix adjustments.
Thanks again.
Daniel

PG Music News
Polish Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows is Here!

Istnieje wiele ekscytujących nowych funkcji w Band-in-a-Box 2019!

Band-in-a-Box® z RealBand 2019: Pakiety
Band-in-a-Box® z RealBand 2019 dla Windows : Nowych Funkcji

Spanish Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 para Windows® está aquí!

Nuevas características
Todos los Paquetes

Video - Repeats & Endings Dialog Overview for Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows

In our latest video, video we go over the Repeats & Endings Dialog within Band-in-a-Box® 2019 - Learn more...

This video includes information on repeats, 1st/2nd endings, dc al coda, ds al coda, dc al fine, ds al fine, and Fake Sheet Mode.

Testimonial - Woody Piano Shack's Thoughts on Band-in-a-Box®

Check out our latest Video Testimonial from Woody of Woody Piano Shack! Woody uses Band-in-a-Box primarily as a training tool within his YouTube channel and private lessons. He's been a Band-in-a-Box user since the Atari ST days, and is very impressed with the evolution of our program - watch and you'll see! Click here...

Video - Audio Harmony Overview in Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows

We've updated our Audio Harmony Overview video using the latest Band-in-a-Box 2019 for Windows program! Watch now...

Learn even more about Audio Harmonies using the Online Manual, here.

Danish Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 til Windows® er klar!

Pakker
Nye funktioner

Dutch Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 voor Windows® is hier!

Pakketten
Nieuwe Functies

Forum Stats
29496 Members
60 Forums
58133 Topics
488342 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
Emily, Tigz, Pauldordt, cptnzod, Carl the Mac man

29495 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)