Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I have become a little hooked on these NPR Tiny desktop concerts that Floyd told us about a couple of days ago. They are a great way to discover new music.

I was taken by this video of Sylvan Esso: NPR Music Tiny Desk Concert and wonder how many people would still doubt the musicianship of live DJs after watching this. What are your thoughts?

Last edited by JosieC; 04/13/15 08:18 AM.

LyricLab A.I assisted chords and lyric app. Export lyrics and import directly into Band-in-a-Box 2024.
https://lyriclab.net
Play-along with songs you know and love, download SGU files
https://playiit.com/
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
I'm more inclined to call him a technician. He's creating something, but he is essentially mixing loops.

Keith
2024 Audiophile Windows 11 AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER 3960X 4.5GHZ 128 GB RAM 2 Nvidia RTX 3090s, Vegas,Acid,SoundForge,Izotope Production,Melodyne Studio,Cakewalk,Raven Mti
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Josie, I have long said that the term "DJ" has become ambiguous. Many, if not most, associate it with spinning discs of dance music, and a lot of people still do that. No one would argue that this constitutes musicianship.

However, the term has morphed to include people who use programs such as Ableton Live and Propellerhead Reason to generate music on the fly. Frank Zappa borrowed the definition of music as being "organized sound" from a twentieth-century classical composer. I staunchly assert that what *these* DJs produce *is* music, and that they are, by definition, musicians.

I back this up with my signature line, which states that "my primary musical instrument is the personal computer." Of course, I play guitar, bass, and other instruments, but what I produce would not be possible without the use of adjunct programs and the PC itself—used in a musical fashion.

The logical next step in that parade is Mr. Don Gaynor, who cannot play an instrument, yet generates some exceptional tuneage. Does anyone care to argue that he is *not* a musician?

"My primary musical instrument is the personal computer."
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
If that guy is a musician, I am a potato. grin

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: JosieC
What are your thoughts?

If the term musical instrument in contemporary terms has now been accepted/redefined include a personal computer or a turntable(s)...I guess so.

In my irrelevant opinion....no....they are not what I would define as a musician.
Live venue mixers, entertainers who are very good at what they do even though I'm not interested in the genre(?).
Maybe a derivative composer.

Personally speaking only, I do not consider my DAW or any program as a musical instrument.
I consider each as tools from which (in my case) I can be a composer of original music/songs.
A musician performs said recorded tracks.

That's my take on it...

Last edited by chulaivet1966; 04/14/15 10:14 AM.
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Keith - I think the most interesting thing is what he is able to do "on the fly". (Even if it is with hours of practice. I am not sure how much "ad libbing" there is here). Most people that are using loops record them live and then mix them in as they play. Which is (in my opinion) a little boring while they are doing it. I don't think that is what he is doing here and this performance is anything but boring.

Hi Ryszard. I agree 100% with what you say (and Donald Gaynor is a good example). Thank you PG Music for giving us all this opportunity to make music (even those of us who play a musical instrument, but play it badly!)

LyricLab A.I assisted chords and lyric app. Export lyrics and import directly into Band-in-a-Box 2024.
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: 90 dB
If that guy is a musician, I am a potato. grin

ha ha.. bring on the popcorn!

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Well, considering potatoes are buried in the dirt, can't see anything beyond what they're directly on top of. But then consider trees who stand tall and have great vision...

Maybe that's an apt description of yourself, don't know <grin>

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
There are some interesting prejudices being revealed here, of which I am certain those who hold them are completely unaware. Let me begin with an example from outside our community.

The most common reaction I get from musicians to whom I demonstrate BIAB is essentially, "That's cheating!" (This, in one case, from a man who still does step programming in the sequencer of his DAW.) It is similar to the response I have gotten when I mention the songwriting aid MasterWriter here. "That ain't how Gramps did it!"

THEY'RE ALL TOOLS, PEOPLE! But tools change, and the early adopters are often castigated for it. It happened to J. S. Bach, it happened to Stravinsky, and I am sure students of music history can name many others. Nearly everyone here is involved in computer-aided composition and arranging—that's what BIAB, RB, and PTPA are for. So I find it more than passing strange that anyone here would criticize others who do the same thing, but with different tools.

At some point these discussions usually arrive at the definition of music. Okay, here's a fact about me. I listen to ambient, experimental, and New Age stuff that I'm sure some of you would have trouble accepting as being music at all. There is often no discernible beat and no melody. But because I accept Zappa's borrowed definition of music as organized sound I have no problem with that.

Which brings me back to youse guys. Being the otherwise forward-thinking individuals that you are, I am always surprised when there is such vehement resistance to this idea. Just to be clear, when I say "DJ" in this context, I am NOT talking about turntablists (yes, it's a word). I am instead referring to someone who uses electronics, software, and occasionally keyboards (usually to trigger samples) to produce music/organized sound that did not exist before the performance. There is no question that it is music. Musical Improvisation is impromptu composition; ergo, the performer is a composer. And where does music come from? Instruments, right? Which leads to the inescapable (to me) conclusion that whatever was used to compose and perform that music, be it BIAB, Ableton, Reason together with a OC or Mac, is, again by definition, an instrument. Q.E.D.

You can't talk me out of it. I just wish some of you (not all, of course) could relax enough to accept nontraditional musicians and instruments.

Last edited by Ryszard; 04/13/15 06:34 PM.

"My primary musical instrument is the personal computer."
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Ryszard
THEY'RE ALL TOOLS, PEOPLE!

I agree completely! DJ's are all TOOLS! wink

They aren't musicians. They're just taking jobs from musicians because the general public is too ignorant to know the difference and the club owners won't pay a living wage for real musicians.

I thought we'd settled this topic several times before. wink

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Here is an example of musicians actually playing music;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxqMRkXD4us

To call DJ’s, (aka glorified button pushers), musicians is an insult to people like those in the video.

Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
dang automobiles...took all the jobs away from the blacksmiths and buggy makers! and the people are too dang ignorant to realize how much better horse and buggy are...oh, and Get Off My Lawn!

Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Being the otherwise forward-thinking individuals that you are

Ha! I ain't buying that!

Quote:
I am always surprised when there is such vehement resistance to this idea.

It tickles the crap outta me every time topics like this come up!

And I am 100% in agreement with you!

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi All. Sorry to bring up an old beaten to death topic but I was really interested to hear if anybody "modified" their point of view as a result of watching this particular video (or others like this).

I must say that I found this video found far more engaging than watching some girl crooning out bad songs with a ukulele or a guy sitting endlessly building loops with his guitar (but then again maybe that is just me).

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: jazzmammal
Well, considering potatoes are buried in the dirt, can't see anything beyond what they're directly on top of. But then consider trees who stand tall and have great vision...

Maybe that's an apt description of yourself, don't know <grin>

Bob

What an astute observation, Bob. Once again, you prove the old adage about opinions. grin

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: bobcflatpicker

They aren't musicians. They're just taking jobs from musicians because the general public is too ignorant to know the difference and the club owners won't pay a living wage for real musicians.

You'd be surprised about the wages some of those DJs earn. They often get more than a five piece band.

Last edited by GHinCH; 04/14/15 01:55 AM.

Desktop; i7-2600k, 8 GB mem., Win 10 Pro, BIAB 2017; RB 2017 - latest build
Laptop: i5-2410M, 4 GB mem, Win 10 Pro, BIAB 2017; RB 2017 - latest build
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I think she swiped those shoes from Bootsy Collins....

In other news.....

A buddy of mine used to DJ for a time. He made more as a DJ than he did as a band.....

In fact, I too did some primitive DJ stuff in my day..... I mixed acoustic sets with spinning some record cuts....and made more doing that than I did in a band. Less gear too.

Is a DJ a musician....? Some probably are, especially the creative ones....... some, probably are not.

What defines a musician anyway? I think maybe.....The ability to coax sounds from inanimate objects? Wood and steel..... cow hides stretched on a ring of wood.... slats of ivory and ebony with mechanical linkages that strike steel strings...... or plastic buttons connected to silicon chips......

What about typing letters into a grid and selecting a style and pressing "play"? Does that qualify one as a musician?

Getting into slippery ground here...... before calling the kettle something or other......hummmmmm

As was pointed out... these things are simply tools....inanimate objects.... it takes the creative mind of the musician to realize the music that hides within each object or tool.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 04/14/15 02:32 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: KeithS
I'm more inclined to call him a technician. He's creating something, but he is essentially mixing loops.

But, isn't that the same thing most musicians do in a similar way? Why is it that one can recognize the playing of a Les Paul, or a Sonny Rollins, or an Alvin Lee, or the drumming of a Buddy Rich and Gene Krupa?

All of those have their licks and chops that they match and mix in different songs or tunes. They just play it note by note.

Remember the original guitar solo in Bill Haley's version of Rock Around the Clock played by Danny Cedrone? Do you think this was an original? Well it was an original by Danny Cedrone, but not original when played in Rock Around the Clock in 1954.

Here's the original: Rock the Joint from 1951, in the pre-Comets era when the band was still named The Saddlemen, even though the record was published after the name change. Even accomplished musicians rely on "pre-made" sequences.

Don't get me wrong. I play myself, but I also rely on prefabricated loops and tracks to enhance my playing's impression for the listener.

Desktop; i7-2600k, 8 GB mem., Win 10 Pro, BIAB 2017; RB 2017 - latest build
Laptop: i5-2410M, 4 GB mem, Win 10 Pro, BIAB 2017; RB 2017 - latest build
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Transport yourself into the deepest rain forest. A guy carries a wooden stick, finds a fallen tree that's hollow and starts banging it with that wooden stick in a repeating pattern. Others hear that and start moving uncontrollably (something we now call dancing).

Is that guy, banging on the hollow tree a musician? Those who are dancing to the 'banging' would think so.

Think about it. Whatever tool you use to make others excited enough to make them move (dance), you have created something we call music.

Just adding my nickel's worth to the discussion.

Cheers,
Mike

My Music * Asus ROG Strix G15CF 32 GB DDR4 4TB HDD + 1 TB SSD NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 8GB Win 11 AKAI EIE PRO Sound Interface. BIAB/RB 2024 UltraPak Build - Latest
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
If one is just spinning CDs/records then no a DJ is not a musician. If one is creating new music then yes a DJ is a musician.

If a DJ is creating new music using samples, loops etc then he is no different then us using BiaB's MIDI, RTs, RDs, loops and samples IMO.

I know a couple of disc spinner DJs who are also keyboard players. They can make more money spinning discs than playing in bands, unfortunately.

At some point these discussions usually arrive at the definition of music. Okay, here's a fact about me. I listen to ambient, experimental, and New Age stuff that I'm sure some of you would have trouble accepting as being music at all. There is often no discernible beat and no melody. But because I accept Zappa's borrowed definition of music as organized sound I have no problem with that.

You are not the only one. I have been listening to the same genre's for years. In fact I have a lot of it on vinyl!

I want my last spoken words to be "I hid a million dollars under the........................"

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,660
Posts735,521
Members38,528
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
gman97040, kadju, theyearofjess, OlvaJownDay, Tranner Track
38,527 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 173