You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#297567 - 05/31/15 04:41 AM [User Showcase] I Should Have Lied
Loc: Finland
jannesan Offline
Expert

I wrote this song I Should Have Lied five years ago and it is still one my favorites. I really wanted to hear it sung by a real singer, so I hired again Christos from Supreme Tracks to do the vocals. His voice really fits the song.

Band-in-a-box does the great work yet again, that tenor sax is really beautiful. I had some troubles with #896 guitar playing Gm7b5 chord, sometimes it sounds like a discord to me, I couldn't fix it even in Melodyne, so the problem is probably between my ears :-) Maybe the bass sound could have had a little bit funkier edge, but I like how the RT #683 plays, so I left it there.

I made also a video for the song using mostly watery clips from my collection.

RealDrums: NashvillePop16
RealTracks:
12 string acoustic guitar #896
Electric Bass PopHalfNotesPush #683
Electric Guitar Dire #509
Electric Guitar Arp #695
Acoustic Guitar Strumming #793
Cellos #1856, #2509
Acoustic Piano #811
Sax Tenor #587

MIDI Tracks: Strings from style CR_BETH through GPO

Mixed in Adobe Audition.

Lyrics:
Words as the language of clues
so many of them left unsaid
buried under the hustle of life
but could have given a much tighter grip of
the life's mysterious thread.
Even a simple white lie
an intentional Freudian slip
throwing a match in a dry conversation,
burning my dreams or lighting a fire?
Something you wouldn't skip.

I should have lied to you
maybe it could have made you stay
I didn't love you I knew
but I could have learned it some day.
I should have lied to you
thrown you a breathtaking lure
that budding rookie in blue
never had guts to mature.

We used euphemisms
avoided uneasy grounds
we never looked the bull in the eye
we managed to sleep through the moment of youth
now the mistake rebounds.
I was a painter of skies
you were a migrating bird
the summer was over, prudence was poison
rivers ran wild but the lakeside was silent
not even a dishonest word.

I should have...

I should have...

-----

Janne

#297572 - 05/31/15 05:01 AM [User Showcase] Re: I Should Have Lied [Re: jannesan]
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
VideoTrack Offline
Veteran

Janne

What a really great number. The vocals are clear and nicely mixed. The song is quite interesting, what a great theme. I especially liked the lyrics, well thought out, careful interesting rhyming, poetry in fact.

And strings sit nicely in the background.

The sax solo slotted in so well, so too the sax background, and the migrating birds and ocean sitting behind. An interesting 'natural' touch.

You must be pleased with the result.

Congratulations

Trev
BIAB&RB2020(Audiophile),Win-10Pro, SonarPlatinum, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, KorgX3R, RodeNGT2, AM802mixer, NS40M StudioMonitors, Pioneer Act. Mons, AKG K271 Studio H'phones

#297573 - 05/31/15 05:11 AM [User Showcase] Re: I Should Have Lied [Re: jannesan]
Loc: Australia
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Hi Janne,

I agree. The singer's voice really suits this song. You chose well. Also, the melody and the harmony are terrific. Nice!

I compliment you on the backing, too. What you've put together is fantastic. It's very easy to tell that the tracks have been assembled with a great deal of thought and consideration. The mix sounded just right on my speakers.

Regards,
Noel

#297575 - 05/31/15 05:17 AM [User Showcase] Re: I Should Have Lied [Re: Noel96]
VideoTrack Offline
Veteran

Ha, while I was listening, I thought to myself "Noel will probably like this one for sure!", especially given the hard work, thought and design I know that you put into song lyrics. I wasn't wrong. It's a really good number eh?
BIAB&RB2020(Audiophile),Win-10Pro, SonarPlatinum, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, KorgX3R, RodeNGT2, AM802mixer, NS40M StudioMonitors, Pioneer Act. Mons, AKG K271 Studio H'phones

#297584 - 05/31/15 06:20 AM [User Showcase] Re: I Should Have Lied [Re: jannesan]
Loc: Florida
tommyad Offline
Veteran

Janne, This reminded me a little of Donald Fagen. Some really great poetic lines and a cool arrangement. I know this took some time to put together and I congratulate you on a fine production. Tom

#297586 - 05/31/15 06:23 AM [User Showcase] Re: I Should Have Lied [Re: Noel96]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Noel96
Hi Janne,

I agree. The singer's voice really suits this song. You chose well. Also, the melody and the harmony are terrific. Nice!

I compliment you on the backing, too. What you've put together is fantastic. It's very easy to tell that the tracks have been assembled with a great of thought and consideration. The mix sounded just right on my speakers.

I agree! The mix is excellent. Interesting lyric - a bit cryptic at times, but that's part of what makes it interesting. The chorus is especially nice.

floyd

#297599 - 05/31/15 08:57 AM [User Showcase] Re: I Should Have Lied [Re: jannesan]
Loc: Davis, CA
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Loc: Davis, CA
Really beautiful!! Sweet chord progression with a melody that rolls along so nicely, and crafty and somewhat mysterious lyrics. Singer is awesome-reminds me of a more mellow Stevie Wonder. Mix and arrangement could not be better. Awesome stuff!! Take care. Gre

#297602 - 05/31/15 09:12 AM [User Showcase] Re: I Should Have Lied [Re: jannesan]
Loc: South Carolina
Charlie Fogle Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Carolina
This is really a top notch write and production. I think the vocalist did a superb job for you. This is an excellent mix and arrangement and everything fits so nicely together. Very professional.

Charlie

#297606 - 05/31/15 09:32 AM [User Showcase] Re: I Should Have Lied [Re: jannesan]
Loc: The Netherlands
RnAM Offline
Veteran

Loc: The Netherlands
Hello Janne,

This is a fine and professional musical arrangement!
The vocals suit the song very well.

Rob and Anne-Marie

RnAM Homepage (completely restyled)
YouTube Channel

#297641 - 05/31/15 02:56 PM [User Showcase] Re: I Should Have Lied [Re: Noel96]
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Loc: GA USA
Hi Janne,

I compliment you on the backing, too. What you've put together is fantastic. It's very easy to tell that the tracks have been assembled with a great deal of thought and consideration. The mix sounded just right on my speakers.

Regards,
Noel

A big PLUS ONE from the two of us.
Nice!

J&B

#297705 - 05/31/15 07:47 PM [User Showcase] Re: I Should Have Lied [Re: jannesan]
Loc: Maryland
SpaceDog Offline
Expert

Loc: Maryland
Janne,
This a great production. The chord changes are so interesting and I love the arrangement. I really enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing.
SpaceDog

#297795 - 06/01/15 08:19 AM [User Showcase] Re: I Should Have Lied [Re: jannesan]
jannesan Offline
Expert

Thanks Trev, Noel, Tom, floyd, Greg, Charlie, Rob & Anne-Marie, J&B, SpaceDog for liking and your kind words. Yes I'm satisfied with the result. I made the first version in 2010, and started reworking this spring, added cellos and changed couple of lines in the lyrics. Such a great pleasure to update your song with new RealTracks, I'm sure you know the feeling smile I think the hardest work was when I thought one word for a week smile I'm still not fully satisfied with that word (metaphor for mind in the nature...), but maybe some day I'll find a better one.

Janne

#297922 - 06/02/15 08:23 AM [User Showcase] Re: I Should Have Lied [Re: jannesan]
Loc: Canyon Lake, TX
Steve Young Offline
Expert

Loc: Canyon Lake, TX
Janne,

This is really nice. Well written song, good arrangement, choice of instrumentation. And the vocals really shine on this one. Good job.

Steve

#297929 - 06/02/15 09:13 AM [User Showcase] Re: I Should Have Lied [Re: jannesan]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

"an intentional Freudian slip"... is there such a thing?

But I still like that phrase...

cool song and a good mix.

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.

As the sword chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer.

#298056 - 06/02/15 07:25 PM [User Showcase] Re: I Should Have Lied [Re: Noel96]
Sundance Offline
Veteran

Hi Janne,

Regards,
Noel

+1

Josie

#298065 - 06/02/15 08:58 PM [User Showcase] Re: I Should Have Lied [Re: jannesan]
Loc: Sacramento, California
dcuny Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sacramento, California
+1.

And the strings were nice too!

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?

PG Music News
Listen to the Band-in-a-Box® User Showcase Radio Today!

You may know about our User Showcase Forum, but have you heard about our Band-in-a-Box® User Showcase Radio?

What a great way to listen to all of the Band-in-a-Box® creations from program users just-like-you! It's as easy as choosing a playlist and pressing play!

Click here to access our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, and don't forget to bookmark your new favorite page!

Review - Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows

Make sure to check out the latest Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows review from Sound-Guy (Dennis) at www.gearslutz.com: click here.

Sound-Guy has been using Band-in-a-Box® for many, many, many, many, many years - and we still managed to surprise him with some great new features! Read his latest review to learn more about his favorite additions for 2020!

"Band-in-a-Box continues to evolve as an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to produce not only new compositions and arrangements, but also perform them with excellent musical “talent”. It also provides educational and training tools for keyboardists and guitarists. It’s easy to use the basic functions, and challenging enough to keep you occupied for years. BIAB provides education, inspiration, a “live” band to aid in practicing, and anything from backing tracks to full performances for recording."
-Sound-Guy, www.gearslutz.com

How I Use Band-in-a-Box® to Create Shots/Chops

Band-in-a-Box® user Henry Clarke creates a lot of great songs with Band-in-a-Box®, and he's shared his steps for creating the shots/chops within his recent song Lonely in a Crowd.

To watch Henry's video, click here.

Have your own program tip to share? Feel free to post it to our Tips & Tricks forum.

#TipTuesday

Uncommon RealTracks Instruments for Band-in-a-Box®

Today is Uncommon Instrument Awareness Day.

Examples of "uncommon instruments" include anything from Spoons to the Wheelharp to the Singing Ringing Tree, and more!
(there's probably more instruments out there that we DON'T know than we DO know)

Although our RealTracks collection doesn't include many 'uncommon instruments', we do offer some pretty unique choices!

On top of the usual varieties we offer for Piano, Guitar, Saxophone, Flute, Clarinet, Bass, Tuba, Trumpet, Trombone, and more - our RealTracks library also offers a nice selection of Shakuhachi and Kalimba - there's even a Koto RealTrack included in Set 212!

Kalimba: RealTracks Set 271
Koto: RealTracks Set 212
Shakuhachi: RealTracks Sets 193 & 212

What's the most surprising RealTrack Instrument that you've come across?

Band-in-a-Box® 2020 Portuguese for Windows is Here!

Existem mais de 50 novos recursos no Band-in-a-Box® 2020! Existem aprimoramentos no RealTracks (RealTracks vocais com som mais suave, RealTracks Engrossados, Substitutos de RealTracks e MultiFrases). A maioria dos RealDrums agora possui RealCharts (com notação de bateria precisa). Há um novo navegador de artistas do RealTracks para encontrar informações/biografias/links/listas de RealTracks em todos os artistas. Um novo Navegador de recursos permite que o usuário novo ou "esquecido" encontre e use facilmente a maioria dos recursos/teclas de atalho/documentos em uma única janela. Equalizar Tempoaprimoramentos na Seleção de Músicas, baixo/bateria ou apenas bateria nas introduções automáticas, 3.400 títulos adicionados, aprimoramentos no MusicXML, visualização de guitarra para "Canhotos" e "Estudantes", aprimoramentos de arrastar e soltar, exibição de várias janelas do Interpretador de Acordes de Áudio e muito mais!

COMPRE/ATUALIZE, & BAIXE AGORA!

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Mac Update Ready!

Just because Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Mac is here doesn't mean we've forgotten our 2019 users!

If you're still using Band-in-a-Box® 2019, make sure you download the latest patch update (b324) for an updated splash screen (macOS 10.12 and 10.13 users), smoother Song Titles dialog, access to your (purchased) RealTracks Set 328, and we've corrected the reported issue with opening songs from older versions of Band-in-a-Box in the 2019 version.

Learn more about this patch and download it here.

Review - Loops-with-Style PAK 2 for Band-in-a-Box® 2020

"Dr. Dave" Walker is at it again! You may remember his recent reviews of both Band-in-a-Box 2020 for Mac and Xtra Styles PAK 9 - now he has something to say about our Loops-with-Style PAK 2 - check it out: Click here to read...

With money being tight for most musicians, this is a wonderful gift for those on a limited budget. At $29, it offers months and years of fun and experimentation, bringing many ideas to fruition as songs with enough variation so that your audience doesn’t jump to "aw, that's a computer!" while still keeping the power of the software in your hands.
-"Dr. Dave" Walker

Thank you again Dr. Dave for the great review!

Learn more about Loops-with-Style PAKs: Windows | Mac

Forum Stats
32613 Members
68 Forums
65543 Topics
555721 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
Saxfiend, Elwood, qbpremier321, Mtsac, Wavd

32612 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
MarioD 185