Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi, Noel!

Very nice job on the "re-do". The production supported your lyric/vocal exactly as it should - stepping back a bit to allow the verse to "be about the message" and then swelling for the chorus to "shout out" the positive...(nice job on the strings!).

Your mix is excellent - every instrument clear and crisp and "a part of the whole".

You have a real knack for writing a combination of phrase and melody that leaves the listener singing parts to them self as they walk away...

I enjoyed my many listens (...that's gonna leave a mark!)

floyd

User Showcase
Noel96 Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: boehm
Hi Noel,
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Vocal is sweet-great tone and energy. The way the melody builds and peaks in the chorus is great, and the lyrics are drawn out, making a nice contrast with the verses. I think you nailed it!!

It's a pity I can't compare with the original.
But it must be worse as this one is just great.

Guenter

Hi Guenter,

Thanks for taking time to listen and to comment.

At best, and that's probably even classed as wishful thinking, the original mix could only be described as 'average'. I'm just surprised how much I've picked up from this forum in the last couple of years. I know that it's gotta be from this forum because I don't visit anywhere else on the net! (I think all those magnificent mixes of yours must've helped a bit!)

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
Noel96 Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: tommyad
Noel, This is a great vocal. I believe your best. I missed it the first time around. I think the arrangement and mix are very good. Love that line " the end of an endless night". A beautifully written an uplifting piece. Bravo, Tom PS- Did I say how much I love the vocal?

Hey Tom,

Thanks for compliment!!! That'll last me a lifetime for sure smile Now... if only I can learn to mix like you do. Wow! That's what I'm aiming for. You've got the knack!

By the way... whenever I write a song, I always try and find some words that have opposite meanings and see if I can get them working in a phrase. I once read that this technique can work well in lyrics. Mostly I'm completely unsuccessful. With "the end of endless night", though, luck smiled on me.

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Dimension Pro. Do you use Sonar? I've been going back and remixing my songs too.

Love this melody. The mix sounds great to me on my studio monitors. The harmony blend is spot on. And as mentioned, that vocal repeat at the end is very effective.

Well done!

User Showcase
Noel96 Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: RichMac
Hi Noel.
Your songs always have a broadway show kind of feel to me.
They also remind me of the swing era and the musicals we used to see at matinees when I was a kid.
To me the song just oozes craft and with the strong vocals and the way the chorus soars as the song builds I find the whole production very professional.
Only thing I would like is a little more t on the end of the didn'ts. Cheers.

Hi Richard,

It's good to see you. Thanks for having a listen. I agree with you. I think this one has a bit of a Broadway feel to it, too. That was purely accidental. I appreciate the positive feedback!!! I'm going to have to upgrade my hat to a bigger size now.

... as for those T's.... well, being Aussie doesn't help. They are what they are. I agree with you, though, and if ever I do a re-re-mix, I'll tackle them then.

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
Noel96 Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Hi, Noel!

Very nice job on the "re-do". The production supported your lyric/vocal exactly as it should - stepping back a bit to allow the verse to "be about the message" and then swelling for the chorus to "shout out" the positive...(nice job on the strings!).

Your mix is excellent - every instrument clear and crisp and "a part of the whole".

You have a real knack for writing a combination of phrase and melody that leaves the listener singing parts to themself as they walk away...

I enjoyed my many listens (...that's gonna leave a mark!)

floyd

Hey floyd,

Thanks for giving the song a run through. In my mind, I can see Brenda smiling as she reads through what you've written.

If my melodies and lyrics are taking a turn for the memorable, then some of that credit belongs to you. I appreciate that you don't mind me using your songs as a springboard for my (self)education. By working my way through your lyrics, I iron out and organise the information that I've picked up over the years. Interestingly, I don't recall that information until I have something to apply it to. That's where the floyd jane songbook has been invaluable.

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
Noel96 Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: olemon
Dimension Pro. Do you use Sonar? I've been going back and remixing my songs too.

Love this melody. The mix sounds great to me on my studio monitors. The harmony blend is spot on. And as mentioned, that vocal repeat at the end is very effective.

Well done!

Hi Scott,

I appreciate your comments.

In relation to Dimension Pro, I use it in Reaper. You probably already know this but, just in case you don't... before BIAB introduced RTs (in 2008 if my memory is correct), they were exclusively MIDI and had been for tens of years. As a consequence, BIAB had developed some really great MIDI accompaniment tracks. Those tracks are still available today and, with a good soft synth, they can sound outstanding. I personally find that piano, organ or string tracks from MIDI styles can be quite effective additions to a mix that contains RTs.

As mentioned at the top of the thread, I used the Melodist to create that short flute turn-around. The Melodist and Soloist also work in MIDI and are terrific resources for the songwriter. While there are better soft synths around, Dimension Pro often is all I need.

Once again, thank you for taking time...

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Noel,

Your songs are always a joy to listen to as I enjoy listening to your voice. I am one that can believes accents enhance a song because lyrics and phrasing are chosen with the accent in mind. In the same vein Scottish, Irish or Cockney songs have a different feel to them. One of the things that made a Herman's Hermit song distinctive from the other British Invasion bands was the singer's, Peter Noone, accent.

Your songwriting and production values are so high that I wish the original production was still available. A "bad" production of yours would be a collectors item!

The flute was a nice touch. It demonstrates just how much the melodist can assist with adding one layer of polish to a song.

There are two places in the song where the sound level takes a dramatic drop. The first time is the bar or two where the into music pauses and your voice starts to come in. The second time is when the flute solo is ending and your voice comes in. While I'm reasonably sure the sound level drops are not caused by compression breathing the effect is similar. Surprisingly, the drops are pretty easy to spot in the SoundCloud waveform of the song.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Noel,
Nice work on this tune. It was very enjoyable. I can't remember the original but This sounds great.
SD

User Showcase
Noel96 Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi Jim,

Thank you for passing through the thread. It's always good to see you!

Originally Posted By: JimFogle

I am one that can believes accents enhance a song because lyrics and phrasing are chosen with the accent in mind. In the same vein Scottish, Irish or Cockney songs have a different feel to them. One of the things that made a Herman's Hermit song distinctive from the other British Invasion bands was the singer's, Peter Noone, accent.

I hadn't thought about this before until you mentioned it. But you're right! Accents really can make a difference. The first one that came to mind after reading the above was Julie Andrews. I cannot imagine how her songs would sound without her British accent. Then it occurred to me that Maurice Chavlier and Charles Aznavour (Yesterday When I Was Young) really made the most of their French accents.

The flute ... demonstrates just how much the melodist can assist with adding one layer of polish to a song.

I agree. BIAB has many midi-based music creation tools that can be used very effectively for songwriting. The Melodist is one of these. I've found it very valuable when I'm trying to think of melodies and counter-melodies. To be honest, I don't know where I'd be without BIAB and all it can do!

There are two places in the song where the sound level takes a dramatic drop. The first time is the bar or two where the into music pauses and your voice starts to come in. The second time is when the flute solo is ending and your voice comes in. While I'm reasonably sure the sound level drops are not caused by compression breathing the effect is similar. Surprisingly, the drops are pretty easy to spot in the SoundCloud waveform of the song.

I know what sections you mean. I don't think that I have them correct yet (they've caused me a great deal of thought). The volume drops occur at the beginning of each verse. I needed to do something because the verses are sung with piano, bass and drums, and the vocal's volume is throttled way back. So that this could stand out, I needed to create some quietness before the vocals started so that they sat comfortably on the ear. Because the sound immediately before each verse is full orchestration, the initial couple of syllables of each verse were lost, and the fit of the arrangement felt uncomfortable, when I went straight to the verses without somehow preparing the ear for what was about to happen (hence the volume drop). This is a region of the arrangement that I'm still working on.

Thanks for all your feedback! I always appreciate your opinions and insights.

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
Apprentice
Apprentice
Re: previous thread and accent. One of my earliest recollections of accent ( to my ears that is smile )

(Alone Again (Naturally))

http://youtu.be/D_P-v1BVQn8

Also, maybe sudechaining can help with buried vocals?

http://youtu.be/Pvg0m3iQS-0

I am just starting to use this technique. I used it on my last tune to get the vocals clear of the guitars (sonar software in my case)

Keep it up Noel, your vocal sound really good as i mentioned previously.

Last edited by PatrickH; 06/13/15 06:42 PM.
User Showcase
Noel96 Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: SpaceDog
Noel,
Nice work on this tune. It was very enjoyable. I can't remember the original but This sounds great.
SD

Hi Spacedog.

Thanks for having a listen.

You and your wife have got me playing around with the Haiku form since your last post. I haven't reached your standard yet, though. I'm really glad you opened my eyes to this way of writing lyrics. The challenge is very satisfying!

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
Noel96 Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: PatrickH
Re: previous thread and accent. One of my earliest recollections of accent ( to my ears that is smile )

(Alone Again (Naturally))

http://youtu.be/D_P-v1BVQn8

Also, maybe sidechaining can help with buried vocals?

http://youtu.be/Pvg0m3iQS-0

I am just starting to use this technique. I used it on my last tune to get the vocals clear of the guitars (sonar software in my case)

Keep it up Noel, your vocal sound really good as i mentioned previously.

Patrick,

I agree! Alone Again Naturally was made for Gilbert O'Sullivan's accent - perfect match.

Also, thanks heaps for the Youtube clip on sidechain compression. I've read about this a few times but I've never tried it. You've inspired me now. Appreciate it.

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
Apprentice
Apprentice
Noel, re:the Youtube clip on sidechain compression.

I'm glad to hear you might be able to make use of it. I've only done it with Sonar, so I am not sure how accurate the video will be for you. But, I hoped it would show the idea. Good luck with it.

Last edited by PatrickH; 06/16/15 02:37 AM.
User Showcase
Noel96 Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Patrick,

I'll get back to you on this when/if I manage to make it work for me! Thanks again for that clip. It's excellent.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I remember this song and you've upped the ante with a wonderful production.

User Showcase
Noel96 Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Sundance
I remember this song and you've upped the ante with a wonderful production.

Hi Josie,

Thank you for having a listen. I'm glad I'm getting somewhere at last!!! Band in a Box has made it a whole heap of fun, though.

All the best,
Noel

P.S. It must be about time for another of your songs. It's been a while!

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
ROG Offline
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Noel.

Pressure of work has kept me away from the forum for a while and I'm obviously a bit late to this one.

Strangely, I don't remember the original post, but I certainly love this version. What ever you've done to the track has obviously worked in a big way, because everything is exactly as it should be.

Great vocal. Without trying it, I can imagine it's not an easy song to sing, but you've got it just right.

Glad I didn't miss it this time around.

ROG.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Noel, ol´friend !

What a beautiful song
and so wonderfully
performed and produced !
This must be one of your
best if not the best !:))

It is my fav Noel song
now and how I love that
wonderful voice of yours !!!

Cheers
Dani

ROG #300526 06/22/15 12:24 AM
User Showcase
Noel96 Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: ROG
Hi Noel.

Pressure of work has kept me away from the forum for a while and I'm obviously a bit late to this one.

Strangely, I don't remember the original post, but I certainly love this version. What ever you've done to the track has obviously worked in a big way, because everything is exactly as it should be.

Great vocal. Without trying it, I can imagine it's not an easy song to sing, but you've got it just right.

Glad I didn't miss it this time around.

ROG.

Hey ROG!

Thank you for popping in and taking time to have a listen. I always greatly value your thoughts because my ears are not as finely tuned to finished products are yours. Thanks for comments.

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,686
Posts735,927
Members38,539
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
carloncho, jofigueroajr, Zunzez, Isrra29, HukoKamb
38,539 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 177