Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi folks,

Just wondering for those that add mastering do you usually do it before you export the mixdown or do you reopen the final mixdown file and then add mastering?

For some reason or other I find that the sound is brighter within the DAW, so I add mastering just before final mixdown.

1 Just wonder what do you prefer?
2 As the mix always sound better to me from within the DAW compared to the micdown does that imply that there is a certain loss of quality when a file is mixed down to cd quality?

Thanks for your advice.
Musiclover

Musiclover

My music https://www.youtube.com/user/donegalprideofall

Windows 10 (64bit) M-Audio Fast Track Pro, Band in a Box 2024, Cubase 13, Cakewalk and far too many VST plugins that I probably don't need or will ever use smile
Veteran
Veteran
I write in BB
I create the tracks in RB
I mix and master in Sonar

Essentially, I insert the mastering plugs into the Sonar (X1) project at the beginning and tweak as I progress through the project. I start working with the end in mind, right from the start.

Once the tracks are in place and the envelopes for automation are in place, I concentrate on tweaking the final mixing.

What I end up exporting from X1 is (hopefully) a finished project. I call is "small "m" mastering" because Mastering is done to a group of songs so that they become cohesive, and what I'm doing is sweetening and polishing the rough edges off of one song.

Of course, this is but one way to accomplish it.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 06/18/15 03:34 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Veteran
Veteran
I'm in Herb's team (pretty much the same)

I start the song with BiaB.

Often take it into Real Band for tweaking instruments as a middle step. Maybe adding more instruments, etc

Then take it as individual dry tracks into Sonar Platinum for final mixing, compression, effects etc.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Great advice chaps, different ways to do it. I have Ozone 5 and usually at the end go around the presets to try and get a good fitting one, so probably in my case not a great idea to have an active Ozone in project from start of project. I suppose I could have all of its plugins bypassed but I have a niggling suspicion that even a loaded bypassed plugin can sometimes introduce noise into the mix.

Getting a little more particular now with Ozone and starting to experiment with the actual plugins other than just presets.

Sometimes I find the less the better.

Thanks again
Musiclover

Musiclover

Windows 10 (64bit) M-Audio Fast Track Pro, Band in a Box 2024, Cubase 13, Cakewalk and far too many VST plugins that I probably don't need or will ever use smile
Veteran
Veteran
Ozone is too processor intensive to have on multiple tracks in a project while mixing. They make Alloy for that. Save Ozone for a final stereo file. Tip: Ozone 5 is better than 6.

As mentioned, once you have the collection of stereo files that will be your CD, mastering is the process of ordering them and making sure they flow from one to the next. This involves timing to comply with Redbook standards, and volume adjustment.

If you have been working in higher bit and/or sample rates in your DAW, then yes, converting to 16 bit, 44.1 for CD quality can cause some loss of audio quality. There is even a choice in your DAW how to do that best: look up "dithering".

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
ROG Offline
Veteran
Veteran
Personally, I don't like any form of compression or limiting on the main stereo output whilst I'm either tracking or mixing, as it tends to make the faders interactive. In other words, moving one fader can affect the balance of the other tracks. Once the mix is finished, I may then add a balancing amp to the main output buss, but with just enough levelling to bind things together without altering the balance of the tracks.

I work mainly in Realband / Powertracks and stay in that from start to finish. I still haven't found a mixer which suits my method of working better than Powertracks.

ROG.

Veteran
Veteran
Nobody said your mixdown had to be to CD quality .. let that happen in the mastering stage when the dithering is much better .. here we go again.

Mix down in whatever bit rate you are using and let the FINAL mastering stage make the CD quality.

SEQ file -> mixdown (same bitrate) -> Mastering (and dithering to CD quality) -> burn

Or do it however you want. I'm tired and grumpy tonight. ..

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rharv
Nobody said your mixdown had to be to CD quality .. let that happen in the mastering stage when the dithering is much better .. here we go again.

Mix down in whatever bit rate you are using and let the FINAL mastering stage make the CD quality.

SEQ file -> mixdown (same bitrate) -> Mastering (and dithering to CD quality) -> burn

Or do it however you want. I'm tired and grumpy tonight. ..

rharv -

What peak level do you like to receive a mix at prior to mastering? Just how much headroom are you looking for? I have Ozone (which is really a drug), but wouldn't call what I've done "Mastering". More like "Mangling"! grin

Regards,

Bob

Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
I have Ozone 5 and usually at the end go around the presets to try and get a good fitting one, so probably in my case not a great idea to have an active Ozone in project from start of project. I suppose I could have all of its plugins bypassed but I have a niggling suspicion that even a loaded bypassed plugin can sometimes introduce noise into the mix.

I have taken a preset that I liked and customized it and saved it with a new name. I start with it and make small changes if they are needed.

Bypassing the modules does NOT introduce noise into the mix. Ozone will be quiet with the modules in or with them bypassed. That should not be a concern. Bypassing a plug in removes it from the loop. Shutting off the modules in Ozone does essentially the same thing.

Quote:
Ozone is too processor intensive to have on multiple tracks in a project while mixing.

Depends on the computer you have. There's no problem using Ozone in a track or even multiple tracks if the computer can handle the processing. In addition, you should always shut off the modules in Ozone that you are not using. If you don't need the widening and the reverb or the loudness modules.... turn them off and you have reduced the load. Quite often I only have the EQ running in Ozone in a track.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Veteran
Veteran
Like Herb said, it's easy to reduce the Ozone load and save a preset.

For levels, it depends.
If I get a mix at around -6 to -3 (tops) that has good sound and dynamics I'm usually happy.
However, there are truly a lot of other factors involved. I could throw you two mixes of the same song at -6 and one could have a whole lot more energy in it than the other. Many reasons.

That's why I like multimeter plugins. Seeing RMS and VU (and the average between the two) helps me personally to analyze just how much energy a song is really generating.

As a very simple example; Use PGPeakLimit and use the boost side to push the signal to a fair amount of compression, then use the Output side to limit it to -6 .. easy, but produces a -6 mix with compression and lack of dynamics as opposed to a workable -6 mix.

I've had that happen. A guy sent me -6 mixes that were all simply squashed to -6... nothing I do was really going to save them. He had already committed to a lot of compression. At that point I'd rather have had a mix at -0 that wasn't compressed! I could then reduce the volume of the whole mix enough to work with it.

Just get a good mix. A mastering house can reduce it easily if needed.
It's nice when you get a polished mix a that range, but it's more important to get a good mix.
If needed you can reduce the output on your final out and re-merge it (if needed).
Focus on the mix.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Veteran
Veteran
I'm glad Ozone works for each of you as it does.

You can always just apply Ozone to a track and then save the track, so Ozone isn't a factor at all.

If you use multiple Ozone tracks in a non-destructive way for mixing, the makers of Ozone (Izotope) recommend you not do it that way, and use Alloy instead because it was designed for that purpose to be less processor intensive. Of course, maybe that's just to sell Alloy.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
Mastering never crosses my mind until I'm good with the mix. I do not mix for the master. I mix for adding effects and getting the tracks' gain and panning "right." For mastering I've developed several Ozone 6 presets that I start with depending on the tune and tweak them until I'm satisfied. Rarely, I find that I have to revisit the mix, e.g., perhaps an acoustic guitar needs a low end shelf to sit better, etc. I use Ozone as a plug-in within Logic Pro X.

All with a healthy dose of FWIW.

Bud

R
Veteran
Veteran
R
This statement in the original post raises a question for me:

"2 As the mix always sound better to me from within the DAW compared to the micdown does that imply that there is a certain loss of quality when a file is mixed down to cd quality?"

I suspect that what is going on here is simply a gain item, the audio stream from your DAW is likely playing back at a slightly higher level than the 'mixdown'.

For the mixdown - make sure you are saving to stereo .wav with 16 bit, 44100 Hz rate. Have a look-see to make sure normalization is going on in the mixdown - normalization will help you to avoid digital clipping. However, it may also require you to change the playback volume when you are reviewing the .wav mixdown file, compared to the level coming out of the DAW internally in the computer.

Also, if you are using Windows Media Player, there's a bunch of 'enhancements' that can get turned on and can jack up the playback sound. EQ, stereo-width enhancement, etc. These all need to be disabled. Where these are found in WMP depends on the version you might be using.

If you don't have any of those turned on, and you are saving the .wav file correctly in mixdown, then I would be highly surprised if there is an audibly noticeable difference other than perhaps a level difference between playback levels in DAW vs. .wav mixdown from some other playback tool.

As a final confirmation, one thing you can do is re-import your .wav mixdown into the same project as your source and solo playback it while adjusting the volume, to the playback when you mute that track. If you disable any final bus effects, you should be able to hear something that sounds identical when you A/B listen.

Veteran
Veteran
Here's a discussion from a couple of years ago that might interest you. I was still using T3 then, I'm using Reaper now and a lot more comfortable with it and Ozone. I have my own Ozone presets I like to use on the mix bus once my mix is done and I usually export with that. However, if I'm experimenting I'll do it the traditional way and export a stereo mix file first then add it. Just don't dither using both your DAW and Ozone.

Here's the old thread.

http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=220078

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks for the link Josie, every little read helps though sometimes as I don't mix too often I tend to forget all the tips that I should have picked up, start of old age creeping in I guess.

I had a bit of a chuckle though a few days ago when I read 90db's post above when he described mastering as mangling, that description usually fits my mastering attempts.

And they say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

smile

Musiclover

Musiclover

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,643
Posts735,393
Members38,525
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
theyearofjess, OlvaJownDay, Tranner Track, Ely Bass, Barking
38,525 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 183
DC Ron 101
dcuny 89
rsdean 71
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.