Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#301150 - 06/28/15 07:28 AM [User Showcase] "Bottomland" featuring floyd on lead guitar (Now With Video)
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

BOTTOMLAND

I recently both created a video for and remastered this song that I originally posted last summer. We were delighted at the time and remain so that it resulted in floyd jane’s forum lead guitar debut. Thank you mr jane!

We always welcome your comments and observations and appreciate you taking the time to look and listen.

Vocal: Janice
Lead Guitar: floyd jane
Drums: RD Blues Rock
Bass: RT 564 Set 30
Rhythm Guitar: RT 566
Arrangement/Audio & video production: Bud
Mixing/Ozone 6 and Nectar 2 plug-ins via Logic Pro X
Rodes NT1 mic/Blue Icicle USB Interface
Photographs: All public domain with my effects via Pixelmator, Snapseed, Paint Pad and PicMonkey.
Video: Wondershare’s Video Editor 3.

A few notes.

Tom was on vacation last summer and floyd offered to try a lead for the tune. As he said in the first post:

“…I originally did this for practice - to see if I could record a lead guitar that might fit in a mix. Never done this before. First real lead I've ever done.”

Pat asked in the thread what the backstory was on the song and I wrote:

“I was thinking of oppression in general and how many millions cannot escape from it. The imagery just comes from my life’s experiences. Jerusalem Ridge is the title of my favorite bluegrass fiddle instrumental. It’s up tempo but ethereal and a bit spooky in melody. The sunken graves and the field stone — Janice and I are history nuts and bike, drive and hike around the countryside frequently. We often find old cemeteries for which the graves have sunken in and are marked, if at all, with flat field stones.

The heritage/lineage and the blood feud lines were to reinforce the oppressive conditions that the song’s subject was living. It brought to mind images of worldwide conflicts and strife and generational/cultural/religious/tribal issues, etc…Appalachia would be a good fit metaphorically. The last verse speaks to how in America for many, but certainly not all, situations you do have an option of leaving. ‘Stick out a thumb.’ It may not be a great option but you likely will not die for trying it.”

J&B
www.janiceandbud.com

#301219 - 06/28/15 06:27 PM [User Showcase] Re: "Bottomland" featuring floyd on lead guitar (Now With Video) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Maryland
SpaceDog Offline
Expert

Loc: Maryland
Janice, Bud, Floyd,
Great sultry sounding blues. Excellent lyrics as well. Really meaningful stuff.
SD

#301235 - 06/28/15 11:38 PM [User Showcase] Re: "Bottomland" featuring floyd on lead guitar (Now With Video) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Sacramento, California
dcuny Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sacramento, California
As usual, amazing singing over well-produced tracks.

floyd's guitar solo is appropriate for the song, but uncomfortable for me to listen to - none of the phrases resolve!

Good stuff.

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?

#301238 - 06/29/15 12:27 AM [User Showcase] Re: "Bottomland" featuring floyd on lead guitar (Now With Video) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Germany
CeeBee Offline
Expert

Loc: Germany
Wow! Eerie stuff, smells of bootlegging, lynching and dark vendettas in a misty dawn.
Loved it. The guitar fit perfectly for my ears, added to the feel of hopelessness and gloom.

#301240 - 06/29/15 01:14 AM [User Showcase] Re: "Bottomland" featuring floyd on lead guitar (Now With Video) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: York, England
ROG Offline
Veteran

Loc: York, England
Hi J&B + Floyd.

Very dramatic and well produced, but not an easy watch for a Monday morning!

But then, that's not what you were aiming for. I think the whole package is extremely powerful, both the song and the images and you've done well to match the two. Of course, Janice's vocal is superb.

Now I need to go and watch "Walking On Sunshine"!

ROG.

#301245 - 06/29/15 02:43 AM [User Showcase] Re: "Bottomland" featuring floyd on lead guitar (Now With Video) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Derry,Ireland
musiclover Offline
Veteran

Loc: Derry,Ireland
Brilliant song, Great singing, its good to do stuff about the not so pleasant things in life, makes us sit up and take notice.

Good playing from Floyd as well, for some reason the lead guitar sound makes me think of "Free as a bird" by the beatles.

The video adds a nice touch too.
Great production overall, Janice sure knows how to interpret a song.

Musiclover

Edited by musiclover (06/29/15 02:45 AM)

My music https://www.youtube.com/user/donegalprideofall

Windows 10 (64bit) M-Audio Fast Track Pro, Band in a Box 2021, Cubase elements 11 and Cakewalk by Bandlab.

#301275 - 06/29/15 09:15 AM [User Showcase] Re: "Bottomland" featuring floyd on lead guitar (Now With Video) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: The Netherlands
RnAM Offline
Veteran

Loc: The Netherlands
Hi J&B and Floyd,

Nice production, pretty sad imagery and lyrics though......
Good to hear Floyd playing the lead!
We are familiar with Wondershare Video editor, we got it for free with Giveaway of the Day laugh

Wonderful vocals as always and ditto production!

Rob and Anne-Marie

RnAM Homepage (completely restyled)
YouTube Channel

#301277 - 06/29/15 09:23 AM [User Showcase] Re: "Bottomland" featuring floyd on lead guitar (Now With Video) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Davis, CA
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Loc: Davis, CA
I'd forgotten how much I liked this! Also forgot what a cool lead FJ played! Enjoyed the video. Great song! Thanks for bringing it back. Take care. Greg

#301283 - 06/29/15 09:38 AM [User Showcase] Re: "Bottomland" featuring floyd on lead guitar (Now With Video) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
boehm Offline
Veteran

Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
Hi Janice & Bud,

I listened to the old version, too. Can't find a difference in the mix. But the song, Janice's voice and Floyd's lead are as good as they were a year ago.
The video adds a lot to the message. Well done.

Guenter

#301292 - 06/29/15 11:27 AM [User Showcase] Re: "Bottomland" featuring floyd on lead guitar (Now With Video) [Re: dcuny]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: SpaceDog
Janice, Bud, Floyd,
Great sultry sounding blues. Excellent lyrics as well. Really meaningful stuff.
SD

We appreciate that!

J&B

Originally Posted By: dcuny
As usual, amazing singing over well-produced tracks.

floyd's guitar solo is appropriate for the song, but uncomfortable for me to listen to - none of the phrases resolve!

Good stuff.

Thanks for the kind remarks! Yup, those guitar lines definitely built the tension and attributed to establishing the unresolved state of her life that I attempted to write about. I'll leave any further guitar response to floyd :-)

Thanks again,

J&B

#301300 - 06/29/15 12:28 PM [User Showcase] Re: "Bottomland" featuring floyd on lead guitar (Now With Video) [Re: ROG]
Sundance Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: ROG
Hi J&B + Floyd.

But then, that's not what you were aiming for. I think the whole package is extremely powerful, both the song and the images and you've done well to match the two. Of course, Janice's vocal is superb.

ROG.

+1 to what ROG said and the color scheme really fit the mood.

#301305 - 06/29/15 12:45 PM [User Showcase] Re: "Bottomland" featuring floyd on lead guitar (Now With Video) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Oklahoma, USA
Don Gaynor Offline
Veteran

Loc: Oklahoma, USA
Most of my adjectives have been taken.

Janice' voice was sultry and spot on.

Floyd's playing was very haunting and mysterious.

The lyrics and chording drew me into the storyline exactly as they should.

Very well done in every respect.

Thanks all.

SoundClick: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=1209254&content=music
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/donald-gaynor
BIAB 2021 w/current updates.

#301315 - 06/29/15 01:14 PM [User Showcase] Re: "Bottomland" featuring floyd on lead guitar (Now With Video) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Kentucky
PgFantastic Offline
Veteran

Loc: Kentucky
As usual Janice brilliant vocal, love the edge on the guitar, outstanding picking. Thanks for sharing!

Psalm 57:7 My heart, O God, is steadfast, my heart is steadfast; I will sing and make music.

#301397 - 06/30/15 04:49 AM [User Showcase] Re: "Bottomland" featuring floyd on lead guitar (Now With Video) [Re: ROG]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: sinbad
Wow! Eerie stuff, smells of bootlegging, lynching and dark vendettas in a misty dawn.
Loved it. The guitar fit perfectly for my ears, added to the feel of hopelessness and gloom.

Glad you liked it. And that description us very cool. Thanks!

J&B

Originally Posted By: ROG
Hi J&B + Floyd.

ROG.

We appreciate those comments very much. BTW I had to look up Walking on Sunshine. Now that is the polar opposite for sure!

J&B

#301400 - 06/30/15 05:19 AM [User Showcase] Re: "Bottomland" featuring floyd on lead guitar (Now With Video) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: wales
gibson Offline
Veteran

Loc: wales
WOW that is one dark video!! And then the combo of floyd on guitar and Janice on vocals really set the scene.

And as Sinbad said " Eerie stuff, smells of bootlegging, lynching and dark vendettas in a misty dawn.
"
Sadly it also is a perfect background to recent events in gibso-land.

Still my little sun-trap outside my back door records 41C at the moment, but only 25 in the front so that'll burn the gloom away.

You all should be proud of this.

Alyn

My story

#301410 - 06/30/15 06:08 AM [User Showcase] Re: "Bottomland" featuring floyd on lead guitar (Now With Video) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Florida
tommyad Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
Janice & Bud, I like this now even more than the first time. This was a great write rounded out with the perfect vocal and just the right feeling lead guitar. Now the very well done accompanying video makes it a full on sensory experience. Kudos to the three of you. Tom

#301435 - 06/30/15 09:58 AM [User Showcase] Re: "Bottomland" featuring floyd on lead guitar (Now With Video) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Dan-LBC Offline

Wow...

The lyrics, music and video all convey the feeling of the person living through an awful stage in their lives. Trifecta achieved. The icing on the cake for me is how well this is mixed. I love it when I can crank a song to 11 and hear everything perfectly. This is sweet! Great job.

#301465 - 06/30/15 03:28 PM [User Showcase] Re: "Bottomland" featuring floyd on lead guitar (Now With Video) [Re: musiclover]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: musiclover
Brilliant song, Great singing, its good to do stuff about the not so pleasant things in life, makes us sit up and take notice.

Good playing from Floyd as well, for some reason the lead guitar sound makes me think of "Free as a bird" by the beatles.

The video adds a nice touch too.
Great production overall, Janice sure knows how to interpret a song.

Musiclover

Thanks. My video skills are rudimentary but from the time we wrote the song I always had some images in my head that I thought would work with the song. Fortunately there are tons of photos available in the public domain. Glad you liked it!

J&B

#301470 - 06/30/15 03:56 PM [User Showcase] Re: "Bottomland" featuring floyd on lead guitar (Now With Video) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Helsinki, Finland
dani48 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Helsinki, Finland
Hi everyone involved !

I thought I had
commented on this
absolutely supreme
tune so sublimely
played and sung, but
to my dismay I just
noted I had missed this
masterpiece BUT....that
is corrected now and, boy,
what a tune and voice !!!!

Cheers
Dani

#301478 - 06/30/15 04:25 PM [User Showcase] Re: "Bottomland" featuring floyd on lead guitar (Now With Video) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Murgon Queensland Australia
Rob4580 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Murgon Queensland Australia
Hey J&B and floyd.
This is a great haunting bluesy tune.
Very thought provoking.
Excellent on all aspects.
Rob

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
RealBand® Works Great in Windows® 11!

Here's an introductory look at RealBand® running on the preview version of Windows® 11!

Watch the video.

Customers LOVE Band-in-a-Box® 2021!

Check out some of the latest Band-in-a-Box® feedback we've received:

"There's a saying 'Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, feed him for a lifetime.' That's exactly what my friend did in 1990. He taught me how to use BIAB and I've used it hundreds of time to do arraignment and to jam with any style band."

"Love BIAB. I use it daily. Their support is great too!"

"RealTracks are amazing!!! I use BIAB for backtracks in my solo act... Still using the basic package and it's all need..."

"I have used Band in A Box for many years. If it would have been around when I was young, I would have been a much better musician. I use it for all my songs I have written and recorded. With Band In A Box I can sit in my room and sound like a whole band without having to put up with them!"

"If you know something about music and take the time to learn the program, you can make it do some amazing things. It is a great help to songwriters who want to demo their song without paying for studio time. It makes changes and tweaks much easier as well."

"Been using it for so many years. It's a great tool. The instruments that I don't have or play make up the void and it saves so much time. I use this program for every song I write."

"Great tool for the songwriter!"

"An essential part of my studio! I write songs on piano, but I'm not a pianist by a long way. BIAB is like having a roomful of session players in your studio, and just the simple act of taking your basic idea and hearing a skilled pianist play it presents so many new ideas and options you hadn't thought of."

"Powerful, easy to use, inexpensive and they even split the modest payments up if you want. No complaints. Lots of satisfaction."

"I added a steel guitar to a fully produced original. He followed every change like he was in the studio reading the chart. Fascinating technology!"

"I have used it to make backing tracks for six CD's with about 12 songs on each. They make a great gift!"

"It's simply a necessity - buy it now - the staff and support do a great job as well!"

"A great tool for us songwriters!"

"I LOVE Band-in-a-Box!"

"I see it as a very worthwhile investment. In fact, from initial purchase about 8 years ago, using the backing tracks I have made, my income from that investment has returned over 5,000% on the investment!"

continued...

Do you have something to say about Band-in-a-Box®? Post your own thoughts for Windows or Mac version today!

Band-in-a-Box® - Boxing Clever - Sound on Sound #TBT

Did you know that Band-in-a-Box® is more than 30 years old? I stumbled across this 1990 magazine article explaining the relatively new program, and think it's an enjoyable read for any Band-in-a-Box user - it really shows that we are always listening to user feedback when developing our program!

Read the article: Boxing Clever: Band-In-A-Box Software

A few of my favorite statements:

"The intention of PG Music's Band-In-A-Box package is to couple that speed and convenience with the improved flexibility of the personal computer. Versions are available for the Atari ST, Mac, and PC compatibles. Have the programmers succeeded? And can they rid themselves of the stigma of the auto-accompaniment section? Given the above state of affairs, the first hurdle that the program has to overcome is one of acceptance and, frankly, a name like 'Band-In-A-Box' is a bad start."

(I think our name was a great start!)

"The final results are, to say the least, impressive. Band-In-A-Box achieves something that most hardwired auto-accompaniment sections have never been able to do - inject a degree of feel into the music. It really does sound more human than so many of the computer generated pieces I've heard."

"...I'm quite convinced that PG Music will have a winner on their hands. This is one piece of software that you can get more out of than you put in."

#TipTuesday Convert RealDrums to MIDI!

Did you know that you can convert RealDrums to MIDI?

VintageGibson shared this tip to our Tips & Tricks forum, which is a great place to look for program tips from other Band-in-a-Box users!

Read this handy trick.

Have a program tip or trick of your own? Share it on our Tips & Tricks forum today!

Band-in-a-Box® 2021 Italian for Mac is Here!

Abbiamo lavorato tanto e abbiamo aggiunto 80 nuove funzionalità e una straordinaria collezione di nuovi contenuti, tra cui 202 RealTracks, nuovi RealStyles, SuperTracks MIDI, Studi Strumentali, Performance degli Artisti, Bonus RealDrums "Singoli", trascrizioni RealDrums, MultiStyles PAK 1, Xtra Styles PAKs 10 e 11, e altro ancora!

Pacchetti | Nuove Caratteristiche

Export / Print a List of Selected Styles (Band-in-a-Box®)

Did you know that you can export a list of your Styles from Band-in-a-Box®?

Head to this forum post in our "Tips & Tricks" forum, where VideoTrack shares another handy tip for Band-in-a-Box® users!

Band-in-a-Box® Chord List Resource

Ever wonder which chords are supported in Band-in-a-Box®? Access the information from the Help file in the program, or read through the list with our Online Manual!

Chord List - Mac Online Manual
Chord List - Windows Online Manual

Review the other Reference topcs while you're there - with explanations of the different menus and the Keystroke Commands (Hot Keys), you'll definitely learn something new!

Forum Stats
34902 Members
66 Forums
70914 Topics
614318 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
MuchHustle, Fiddlecat, cebodorr1, emeraldopia, jojo34

34902 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
swingbabymix 219
VideoTrack 212