Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#303160 - 07/18/15 07:51 AM [User Showcase] Bayou In My Blood (A new-old song)
olemon Offline
Journeyman

Gosh, a long story:

After moving to bayou country back in '99, I soon fell in with some special folks who showed me the wonders of the coastal marsh and the Atchafalaya River Basin. At the time, my work was also related to the river so it was a large part of my daily life.

Anyway, if you look at a Google map, you will find Carencro Lake in the coastal marsh just east of the river and SSE of Morgan City, LA, which is the region in which I learned the finer points of cast netting for shrimp, running trot lines for catfish, boiling crawfish and generally having a good time:) When the whistle blows at the steel fabrication yard, it's time to head for the water to catch some crabs or redfish or bass or sac-a-lait (crappie).

At some point, one of those friends was helping me find a nice cast net. We got to talking about the area and the culture and having to run from hurricanes and about how he couldn't think of living anywhere else. 'No,' I said, 'it's in your blood.'

Well, it's not exactly a universal song since it was inspired by and written for those local people who are now like family. When we get together they all sing this and harmonize. The two gals who are singing harmony on the recording are mother and daughter. Their family is one of those the song is for. I sing in choir with them. I've been waiting to record this for a long time and was thrilled they were part of it. They're accomplished vocalists/musicians and helped me dial in the mix as well. I hope we're close....

It's a simple tune, but it's one of my favs. I'll shut up now. Fire away.

https://soundcloud.com/scott-h-olson/bayou-in-my-blood

BAYOU IN MY BLOOD

Copyright © 2003 by Scott H. Olson

Spanish moss, cypress trees
That warm southern breeze
Atchafalaya, running strong
I can watch that river all day long

Carencro, a wild sunset
By the moon I cast my net
Cajun water, Lou'sian'
Planted here by God's own hand

Chorus A

And don't fear no hurricane
I don't fear no flood
I've got steel in my courage
And bayou in my blood

There's a girl, waits for me
We'll start a family
Like my Mama and Daddy did
Fill our little house with lots of kids

And we'll live, the life we've made
Set our rockers in the shade
Watch that river rolling by
Until the day I die

Chorus B

And I won't fear no hurricane
I won't fear no flood
I've got steel in my courage
And bayou in my blood

Repeat Chorus A

Style is _BM_CTRY.STY (Fast Country Fiddle Solo [165RS])

RealTracks in song:

1846:Bass, Electric, CountryBoogieRootFive Sw
598:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming Bluegrass Ev
593:Fiddle, Background Ev
618:Fiddle, Bluegrass, Rhythm
2030:Fiddle, Soloist CountryAndy Ev 165

Drums: EZDrummer 2
https://soundcloud.com/scott-h-olson

#303163 - 07/18/15 08:00 AM [User Showcase] Re: Bayou In My Blood (A new-old song) [Re: olemon]
Loc: Florida
90 dB Offline
Veteran

Love this one Scott. Great singing - made me think of chicken on the ground under a big old oak tree.

BTW - which brand/size cast net did you finally get?

Regards,

Bob

https://90dbband.bandcamp.com/

https://soundcloud.com/90-db

#303166 - 07/18/15 08:06 AM [User Showcase] Re: Bayou In My Blood (A new-old song) [Re: olemon]
Loc: South Carolina
Charlie Fogle Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Carolina
The back story built my anticipation and the song didn't disappoint. My favorite from you so far. Hang on to your choir partners, their harmonies were awesome and a great match to your vocals. Some may feel and comment that the vocals are a bit too up front but I enjoyed the mix as it is. Great job. I enjoyed this one a lot and heading back for another listen.

Charlie

#303172 - 07/18/15 09:38 AM [User Showcase] Re: Bayou In My Blood (A new-old song) [Re: olemon]
Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
boehm Offline
Veteran

Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
Hi Scott,

thanks a lot for the interesting background
story. Great singing and lovely harmonies.
Enjoyable listen.

Guenter

#303173 - 07/18/15 10:03 AM [User Showcase] Re: Bayou In My Blood (A new-old song) [Re: olemon]
Loc: Miami, Florida
Planobilly Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Miami, Florida
Living here in south Florida and fishing all the time a cast net is just part of my life. Just had a new custom one built by a guy who has been making them for 40 plus years. Super happy with the net.

Having worked and played in you neck of the woods this song brings me back to a time far in my distant past.

This may have gotten to me through all this modern computer stuff and been recorded with the same modern software but I can hear the past clear as a bell.

I guess we are all better off for the technology....perhaps, but I sometimes miss the live acoustic music. No amp, no mic,no electric nothing, not even electric lights. Nothing can replace the soft glow of a "coal oil" lamp and the voice of the friends we live around.

I have a special affection for "cajun country" and miss singing in French and eating shrimp gumbo.

Thanks for the song and the reminder of times past.

Merci beaucoup. Il a été un plaisir

Billy

#303174 - 07/18/15 10:09 AM [User Showcase] Re: Bayou In My Blood (A new-old song) [Re: boehm]
Loc: Oklahoma, USA
Don Gaynor Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Oklahoma, USA
Scotty,

I've heard you do this one sans harmonies and backing track and thought it great then. With the great harmonies and backing track, you've improved on perfection.

Your prowess on vocals, diction, and delivery has always impressed me and we all could take a lesson from you, my amigo.

Thanks for posting.

SoundClick: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=1209254&content=music

SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/donald-gaynor

BIAB 2019 current updates.

#303182 - 07/18/15 11:40 AM [User Showcase] Re: Bayou In My Blood (A new-old song) [Re: olemon]
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Loc: GA USA
Now that is a great upbeat song. I grew up in extreme SW GA which is definitely
not bayou country but I just felt right at home with this tune - but we had plenty
of cypress trees and Spanish moss. Janice said it just made her feel good!

Everything sits just right on my monitors. Your heartfelt vocal is perfect for the lyric
and the harmonies ice the cake.

Thanks for the opportunity to hear this. We both very much enjoyed it.

J&B
J&B Website

#303203 - 07/18/15 02:28 PM [User Showcase] Re: Bayou In My Blood (A new-old song) [Re: olemon]
Loc: Davis, CA
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Loc: Davis, CA
Very very cool Scott!! Love the vibe, and the BG vocals are awesome. The boys from the box fit in perfectly. Wouldn't mind the bass being a bit louder. Absolutely love this! Take care. Greg

#303209 - 07/18/15 04:54 PM [User Showcase] Re: Bayou In My Blood (A new-old song) [Re: olemon]
Loc: The Netherlands
RnAM Offline
Veteran

Loc: The Netherlands
Hi Scott,

This sounds great Scott!
A solid country song, vocals and backing vocals are top notch.

Rob and Anne-Marie

RnAM Homepage (completely restyled)
YouTube Channel

#303226 - 07/18/15 10:26 PM [User Showcase] Re: Bayou In My Blood (A new-old song) [Re: olemon]
Loc: wales
gibson Offline
Veteran

Loc: wales
Absolutely superb
wonderful vocals and harmonies.

Thanks for the story as it makes the song so much more real

excellent, thanks for sharing

Alyn

#303231 - 07/18/15 11:02 PM [User Showcase] Re: Bayou In My Blood (A new-old song) [Re: olemon]
Loc: Australia
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Hi Scott,

What an OUTSTANDING listen! There's no way anyone could listen to this and not feel great. The song, its arrangement, performance and mix lack for nothing. I was absorbed from start to finish.

All the best,
Noel

#303244 - 07/19/15 04:04 AM [User Showcase] Re: Bayou In My Blood (A new-old song) [Re: olemon]
Loc: York, England
ROG Offline
Veteran

Loc: York, England
Hi Scott.

A great song and very atmospheric - I've just put that area on my list of places to visit when I finally do my tour of the US.

The background information makes the song special - thanks for including that. It conjures up wonderful images as the song plays.

ROG.

#303250 - 07/19/15 05:41 AM [User Showcase] Re: Bayou In My Blood (A new-old song) [Re: olemon]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Terrific, Scott.

A tight write. A cool sing-along chorus.

Cool vocals all around. Good mix.

One of your best!

(where's the squeezebox????)

Going back for a fourth listen...

floyd

#303352 - 07/20/15 09:38 AM [User Showcase] Re: Bayou In My Blood (A new-old song) [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Winston-Salem, NC USA
Jim Fogle Offline
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC USA
Scott,

Well written, performed and produced song. I am most impressed by the vocals and the arrangement. I really liked the way the fiddle was used. The backup vocals complement your main vocal. Got me missing the moss hanging from the Spainish oaks.
i3 laptop, 64bit Win 7, 8 GB ram, 480GB SSD
Music at: http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home

#303357 - 07/20/15 09:55 AM [User Showcase] Re: Bayou In My Blood (A new-old song) [Re: olemon]
Loc: South Africa
JoanneCooper Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Africa
Hi Scotty
Love it! Especially that low "echo" backing vocal. Was that you? Loved the line "I've got steel in my courage". Will try to tune in to a show on SJ so I can hear this one live. Good job.///

#303423 - 07/20/15 09:07 PM [User Showcase] Re: Bayou In My Blood (A new-old song) [Re: olemon]
Loc: Sacramento, California
dcuny Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sacramento, California
This is awesome, like a cool breeze on a hot summer night! Polished and professional all the way.

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?

#303451 - 07/21/15 07:07 AM [User Showcase] Re: Bayou In My Blood (A new-old song) [Re: Planobilly]
olemon Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: 90 dB
Love this one Scott. Great singing - made me think of chicken on the ground under a big old oak tree.

BTW - which brand/size cast net did you finally get?

Regards,

Bob

Thanks, Bob. As I recall it was a 7' net. Don't remember the brand, but I remember the canal where I tore it up on some bottom debris:)

Originally Posted By: c_fogle
The back story built my anticipation and the song didn't disappoint. My favorite from you so far. Hang on to your choir partners, their harmonies were awesome and a great match to your vocals. Some may feel and comment that the vocals are a bit too up front but I enjoyed the mix as it is. Great job. I enjoyed this one a lot and heading back for another listen.

Charlie

Appreciate that, Charlie. Glad you enjoyed the narrative:)

We recorded vocals for another song that same day - haven't mixed it yet - and given the positive feedback they're getting so far on this, my choir partners are excited about doing more. Me too!

I went back and forth on the vocals with volume automation and gain - oh so many times. The reference mixes I used were Darius Rucker's cover of 'Wagon Wheel' and Alan Jackson's 'Small Town Southern Man.' Not the same song styles, but those productions appealed to me. I tried to match the vocal levels I heard in those songs.

Thanks again for those kind words.

Originally Posted By: boehm
Hi Scott,

thanks a lot for the interesting background
story. Great singing and lovely harmonies.
Enjoyable listen.

Guenter

Thank you, Guenter:)

Originally Posted By: Planobilly
Living here in south Florida and fishing all the time a cast net is just part of my life. Just had a new custom one built by a guy who has been making them for 40 plus years. Super happy with the net.

Having worked and played in you neck of the woods this song brings me back to a time far in my distant past.

This may have gotten to me through all this modern computer stuff and been recorded with the same modern software but I can hear the past clear as a bell.

I guess we are all better off for the technology....perhaps, but I sometimes miss the live acoustic music. No amp, no mic,no electric nothing, not even electric lights. Nothing can replace the soft glow of a "coal oil" lamp and the voice of the friends we live around.

I have a special affection for "cajun country" and miss singing in French and eating shrimp gumbo.

Thanks for the song and the reminder of times past.

Merci beaucoup. Il a été un plaisir

Billy

Thanks, Billy. I was hoping for a traditional sounding recording.

Ever soak a monofilament net in fabric softener? It works well.

Btw, I do not speak the language, but I know some people who do:)
https://soundcloud.com/scott-h-olson

#303511 - 07/21/15 03:24 PM [User Showcase] Re: Bayou In My Blood (A new-old song) [Re: olemon]
Loc: Edmonton,Canada
big741 Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Edmonton,Canada
It's pretty much all been said.

Outstanding work!

Thanks for the music,
Dan

#303530 - 07/21/15 08:02 PM [User Showcase] Re: Bayou In My Blood (A new-old song) [Re: olemon]
Sundance Offline
Veteran

Sounds great Scott. Those harmonies are terrific with your voice. And love the live feel of it.

We almost moved near there when my honey was hosting a show on KPEL many moons ago.

#303669 - 07/23/15 05:37 AM [User Showcase] Re: Bayou In My Blood (A new-old song) [Re: olemon]
tommyad Offline
Veteran

Scott, Nicely written and very well sung. Fantastic vocals. Love the little baritone part In the chorus. The fiddle gives it the Cajun feel that you were looking for. Very nicely done and looking for more from you and the girls. Good job! Tom

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
Learn More About Part Markers - New Overview Video!

Adding Part Markers to your Band-in-a-Box® song is a GREAT way to create an even more unique and interesting piece!

Check out our latest video to learn more about using Part Markers with Band-in-a-Box® - Click here to watch...

Read more about this feature when you review the "Part Markers, Substyles, and Song Form" section of Chapter 6 of our online manual here.

The Band-in-a-Box® Songs & Lessons PAK - Explained

Every purchase of the Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows UltraPAK+ or Audiophile Edition includes The Songs & Lessons PAK!

The Songs & Lessons PAK is loaded with all of the MIDI Essential Riffs and Phrases Series, all of our MIDI Fakebooks, 200 Folk Songs, and Instrumental Studies! It is also available for separate purchase here.

Learn more about The Songs & Lessons PAK: Video link...

Video - Band-in-a-Box® for Windows: Track Freezing Tutorial

Learn how to freeze your mixer track within Band-in-a-Box® 2019 when you check out our latest video: Click here to watch...

Video - Setting And Organizing Your Favorite Styles in Band-in-a-Box® for Windows

Learn how quickly you can set up and organize your list of your favorite styles in Band-in-a-Box® with our latest video - we have more than 6,000 Styles, so you could find this feature VERY helpful to streamline your songwriting! Click here to watch the video on our YouTube channel.

Visit Chapter 6 of the Online Manual to read more about applying Styles within Band-in-a-Box®.

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Build 619 Available

An update is available for Band-in-a-Box® Version 2019!

Learn more about this update & download it here.

This is a cumulative update patch, which works from any 2019 build. VST DAW Plugin update to 1.11.14 is included in this patch.

There is also a separate RealTracks patch available! Click here to review the updates and download this patch.

Summary of changes for Band-in-a-Box® Version 2019 build 619:
Fixed: "Pause Play until MIDI or key received" setting did not work if using WAS audio drivers.
Fixed: Some important flash messages were not displaying properly.
Fixed: The 64 bit version did not have the MIDI Monitor window.
Fixed: The drums window would not update after toggling "Display QWERTY Chars On Drums" setting.
Fixed: Saving an XML or ABC file will sometimes crash Band-in-a-Box.
Fixed: Some ASIO devices would fail to start with error "Your ASIO driver uses a MAC-based data format. The program does not support MAC-basedformats."
Improved: ASIO now supports extra audio formats: 64 bit float samples, and big endian sample types (16, 18, 20, 24, & 32 bit).
Fixed: If an ASIO audio device has more than 32 input or output ports, Band-in-a-Box would crash with an access violation when leaving the ASIO Audio Drivers window.
Fixed: Silent gaps between RealTracks riffs were not being filled.
Fixed: There were undesirable gaps between riffs in RealTracks 1278: Synth Pad, PopUplift Ev 120.

Summary of fixes for the VST DAW Plugin:
Fixed: Generating a single RealDrums rendered wrong track and had wrong name sometimes.
Fixed: UserTracks not showing correct name, or not generating sometimes.
Fixed: Loops and UserTracks were sometimes ALL CAPS names.
Fixed: Drums track names showed up as "N/A" drums when style loaded from a song.
Improved: Generating only the master works better.
Improved: Master.mid and indivudal MIDI files are saved.
Improved: Names for style tracks when on melody or soloist.
Fixed: Generating a loop when the style contained a soloist track wasn't working.
Fixed: In some DAWs an error could occur while dragging tracks.
Fixed: Blue square filled up after generating only master track.
Fixed: Midi playback caused crash in some DAWs (e.g. Pro Tools, Studio One)
Fixed: Render hangs with large render wav file in some cases.

The Band-in-a-Box® 2019 49-PAK with 40 Unreleased RealTracks!

Our Band-in-a-Box® 2019 49-PAK is still available, and it's PACKED with Add-ons you'll want in your Band-in-a-Box® library!

The 2019 49-PAK includes 40 UNRELEASED RealTracks, 10 "Low Man" & Re-amped "12-Key" Metal/Thrash Electric Guitar RealTracks, 6 MIDI SuperTracks in MIDI SuperTracks Set 28: Pop Basses, 6 more MIDI SuperTracks with Set 29: More Organ, Piano & Accordion, 21 RealDrums Transcriptions, 240 guitar licks and riffs in Instrumental Studies 7: Brent Mason 12-key CountryPop Guitar Licks and Instrumental Studies 8: Brent Mason 12-key Train-Beat Licks, 30 new MIDI Styles, and Artist Performance Set 9: Celtic Flute with Geoff Kelly! Learn more and listen to demos: www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.49pak.htm

Add this to your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase for just $49! Purchasing an UltraPAK, UltraPAK+ or Audiophile Edition? As of January 16th, the 49-PAK is included in your purchase (uncompressed RealTracks files for the Audiophile too)!

Learn more about the 49-PAK and listen to demos at https://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.49pak.htm

Video - Selecting the Best RealTracks for Your Song in Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows

With over 2,700 RealTracks available for Band-in-a-Box®, you may find this "Selecting the Best RealTracks for your Song" video helpful! In this video we go over the "select best RealTracks" dialog within Band-in-a-Box® 2019: Click here to watch.

For more information on this feature, visit the Chapter 6 | Using RealTracks in Songs

Forum Stats
28995 Members
60 Forums
56986 Topics
476264 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
AnnWa, javiergomez, ZCV BB, Sordova, jazzchia

28995 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Pipeline 189
Noel96 170