Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
User Showcase
G
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
G
Hello forum friends. I have always loved water, particularly the ocean. I particularly love the northern California coast-many parts are absolutely beautiful. For Spring break of '14, my Family and I stayed in Point Arena in Mendocino county. That was the trip during which I wrote the lyrics to Real Good Time. We stayed at a place about 2 miles from the Point Arena lighthouse which is featured in the film FOREVER YOUNG with Mel Gibson, and NEED FOR SPEED. The latter was playing in the theater 50 miles north of there and we watched it during the trip. That was a cool experience to come back there after the film and connect the lighthouse to the climactic scene of the film (the film is very so-so). We also took the tour of the lighthouse and heard about the duties of the keepers. I was always intrigued by lighthouses, beacons in the night maintained by solitary men. It was this intrigue that motivated me to write this song. Hope you enjoy it! Comments much encouraged. Take care. Greg

THE LIGHTHOUSE KEEPER

Say a prayer for the lighthouse keeper
His loneliness is getting deeper
Pale light reaching into the distance
For some confirmation of existence
And his grey eyes are growin’ old

He learned his craft from his dad
Still laughs and cries over talks they had
High seas tales and pirates’ treasures
Noble lads and earthly pleasures
But now, the winds blow cold

He spends his days now in a fog
Nights are without end
Making entries in his log
Of visits from imaginary friends

Sand and lonely lighthouse keeper
Had a love once, couldn’t keep her
She blew in one day off the ocean
He stayed put, she stayed in motion
Like the tide, came and went

In a few more years now, he’ll be gone
No need to pass his knowledge on
His humanity is antiquated
His successor will be automated

He’ll be laid to rest for eternity
On a little hill above the sea
Next to his beloved father
Two lighthouse ghosts will scan the water
For the ghosts sailing by

https://soundcloud.com/gjohnson-2/lighthouse

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Greg,

What a great sounding production/arrangement and the lyrics are a wonderfully crafted visual and emotional story. I love lighthouses too, there's such a mystic about them and you can't help but let your mind wander to what it was like when a real human had to climb all those stairs. It never occurred to me to write a song about it. Kudos!

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Man, Greg! This is SO very good. In all regards.

A beautiful write - beginning to end. Paints a perfect picture... Such elegant language...and yet, conversational. Songwriting at the highest level.

The melody is gorgeous.

The production/arrangement is excellent. Reminds me of Springsteen's "Meeting Across The River" (one of my all-time favorites).

Beautiful vocal. Good mix.

"Sad and lonely lighthouse keeper
Like the tide, came and went"

It does not get better than that.

(I read "The Light Between Oceans" not long ago... this captured those images perfectly)

I'm a fan (don't I sound like a blubbering one?...)

floyd

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Man, Greg! This is SO very good. In all regards.

A beautiful write - beginning to end. Paints a perfect picture... Such elegant language...and yet, conversational. Songwriting at the highest level.

The melody is gorgeous.

The production/arrangement is excellent.

Beautiful vocal. Good mix.

"Sad and lonely lighthouse keeper

It does not get better than that.

Greg,

I'm shamelessly stealing from Floyd, because he said it far better than I ever could.

And boy, did you ever send me down Memory Lane. My wife is from N. California. We met while I was stationed in Eureka. We're going back this fall on an anniversary tour.

And having sailed those west coast waters for several years - I spent many a watch taking bearings to Pt Arena Lt. I still remember the chart numbers. Here's a link to one of them you might find interesting. Take care.

http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/18640.shtml

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Greg,

just very beautiful in all aspects. The sax solo
seems to be made exactly for this song.
I'm not touched by songs very often. This is
an exception.

Guenter

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Greg,

Very relaxed song! Nice piano, which RT is it?
Nice lyrics too.
Lots of lighthouses here in Holland, so this might as well have been a Dutch song wink

Rob and Anne-Marie

We are Rob Meulman and Anne-Marie Bovenkamp from The Netherlands.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1gsdNLE7_Gy8qavoOplQow/videos
http://rnam.net/

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Very nice one Greg! Love the subtlety of the lyrics vocal and backing.

Confirmation of existence
Noble lads and earthly pleasures
visits from imaginary friends
humanity is antiquated

Just a few of the delicious tidbits.
Leaves me feeling mellow. Cheers.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Beautiful song.

Thanks for sharing it with us.

Has a Barry Manillow feel/sound to my ears.

User Showcase
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Great write and performance; thanks for sharing!

My Tunes

Psalm 57:7 My heart, O God, is steadfast, my heart is steadfast; I will sing and make music.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Very nice work..... out of the box in one way and in the box in the other.

Your lyrics are fantabulous!

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
User Showcase
Apprentice
Apprentice
My, but that's a pretty tune.

Well done!

Thanks for the music,
Dan

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
floyd already quoted it but wow!!

"Sand and lonely lighthouse keeper

I see no reason to try and parse out
everything that is so good about this.
Both of us had rather just kick back
and enjoy it all again.

As an aspiring writer I am humbled.

Thanks for this addition to our SC
playlist!

J&B

User Showcase
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Simply superb in every aspect Greg. Beautiful song, performance and production.

Charlie

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Greg ...

what a lovely song! This is sweet yet poignant ... and so enjoyable. We loved everything about this. Simply put .. a wonderful musical project from beginning to end. This is a great example when the sum of the parts makes the whole as good as it can be. We loved it!

Alan & Di

BIAB 2022 Ultra Plus-all StylePaks*Win10*8GB DDR4*I5-6th Gen*AT 2035 Mic*Peavey Nashville 112 Amp*Ibanez ART120 Electric/Washburn D200S Acoustic*Stromberg Monterey Jazz Guitar

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Greg, I spent the last week camped on the beach in the Fl Keys staring directly at the Tennessee Reef lighthouse. This is the only unmanned lighthouse in the Florida Keys that still has a lantern and it has a Fresnel lens. It is still in operation today. Also walked past the Key West lighthouse across from Hemingway's house. Since I had the visuals to go along with the song it made listening extra special. This is very well written, produced and sung. A touchingly beautiful lyrical and mood piece. Glad to see you toned down the brightness on the vocal. It is perfect. The melody at times is reminiscent of something that I just can't put my finger on. Really great work and a gentle reminder of better days gone past. Top notch all the way! Tom

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Beautiful melody and song, love the easy flow, love the piano and sax. Well written, made me think of Brian Wilson. I'd like to know if that's a piano real track or super midi also, wherever it comes from it's very nice.

Kenny

User Showcase
G
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
G
Thanks so much Josie!! I always look for you feedback and it was a nice treat to see you first to post. Really dig you Rhino song! Take care. Greg

User Showcase
G
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
G
Thanks for the wonderful review Floyd! It means a great deal to me. You are truly a Zen master songwriter. I truly treasure your kind words (and your song posts)! Take care. Greg

User Showcase
G
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
G
Thanks for the nice reply Scott! I checked out your link. Never seen a map like that. Very cool! You've been doing some really excellent stuff lately. Always look forward to hearing more. Take care. Greg

User Showcase
G
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
G
"I'm not touched by songs very often. This is
an exception."

Guenter, this is truly one of the greatest compliments I've ever received. That's why I write-to try to touch people's emotions. Great to know that I occasionally succeed. Absolutely love your remixes. Every one is so much better than the originals. You are truly creative!! Take care. Greg

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,399
Posts732,551
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199