Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Off-Topic
Ryszard Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I know I don't grasp all that this means. Looking forward to your comments.

http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2015/07/21/why-microsofts-windows-10-audio-and-midi-apis-are-a-big-deal/

"My primary musical instrument is the personal computer."
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Windows is including FLAC? I hope it isn't just for Apple devices. The sentence they used makes it inconclusive.
If windows supports it for all devices that would be very cool.

It's nice to see them even acknowledge improvements in a new OS for this industry. Nice find!
Thanks.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran

Asus Q500A i7 Win 10 64 bit 8GB ram 750 HD 15.5" touch screen, BIAB 2017, Casio PX 5s, Xw P1, Center Point Stereo SS V3 and EWI 4000s.
Off-Topic
Ryszard Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Very helpful, Ray. I'm dubious only because in upgrading to Vista, and then to 7, I lost the use of two perfectly good sound cards. I'd hate for it to happen again.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran

Asus Q500A i7 Win 10 64 bit 8GB ram 750 HD 15.5" touch screen, BIAB 2017, Casio PX 5s, Xw P1, Center Point Stereo SS V3 and EWI 4000s.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
This sounds really...hopeful? Given MS's history I think some of the skeptical comments on that page are justified but I also read some of Pete's answers and it does sound like they just might get this right. One thing was the FLAC part, another thing is shaving 15ms off of WDM which means a lot to folks here because Biab/RB still seem to have ASIO issues on some systems then he talks about optimizing background functions for audio plus the biggest thing is he actually refers to DAW's like he really understands how they work.

This could be a big deal not just in general but for PGM in particular. This could make Biab really fly. Maybe. Hopefully. Without making obsolete perfectly good equipment we already have.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
If you haven't yet, this is a good time to start with an SSD.

1. There is software to copy your operating system onto the SSD. (Your original hard drive does not change.)
2. Update the system to Windows 10 on your SSD.
3. Test your system.
4. If it doesn't work, just use your old system (set the boot procedure back to the original hard drive).
5. Since you already have the SSD, go back to step one and from there proceed directly to step 6.
6. Use the system.

Usually this takes a lot of time, if you want to go back, because you have to reinstall all the software. But here you're working with a clone. Sure this takes time also, but allegedly no re-registering of software.

Desktop; i7-2600k, 8 GB mem., Win 10 Pro, BIAB 2017; RB 2017 - latest build
Laptop: i5-2410M, 4 GB mem, Win 10 Pro, BIAB 2017; RB 2017 - latest build
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
7. Turn off defrag on your (new) boot disk. [Do not defrag an SSD. Windows doesn't know to turn it off once you've changed drive types.]

8. If this is an older PC, make sure AHCI is being used.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Way ahead -I'll be triple booting - I still need a non-VM Win XP OS....

So Win XP & Win 7 as now configured and added Win (d)X (aka win 10) but alas i need min1TB SDD and afraid if WindX CAN fully replace Win 7 then, until prices drop even more AND can get >1TB without robbing a bank , its still 2TB 7200 RPM HDDs here

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Larry Kehl
Way ahead -I'll be triple booting - I still need a non-VM Win XP OS....

So Win XP & Win 7 as now configured and added Win (d)X (aka win 10) but alas i need min1TB SDD and afraid if WindX CAN fully replace Win 7 then, until prices drop even more AND can get >1TB without robbing a bank , its still 2TB 7200 RPM HDDs here

Hey Larry -(sorry for the hijack!) -

I'm looking for an external drive to back up Sonar files. Is SSD is the way to go for this?

Regards,

Bob

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Unless you are independently wealthy I wouldn't use SDDs for backup

You can get a 2 terabyte USB external for next to nothing now

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Larry Kehl
Unless you are independently wealthy I wouldn't use SDDs for backup

You can get a 2 terabyte USB external for next to nothing now

Thanks. Off to Newegg.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: GHinCH
If you haven't yet, this is a good time to start with an SSD.

1. There is software to copy your operating system onto the SSD. (Your original hard drive does not change.)
2. Update the system to Windows 10 on your SSD.
3. Test your system.
4. If it doesn't work, just use your old system (set the boot procedure back to the original hard drive).
5. Since you already have the SSD, go back to step one and from there proceed directly to step 6.
6. Use the system.

Usually this takes a lot of time, if you want to go back, because you have to reinstall all the software. But here you're working with a clone. Sure this takes time also, but allegedly no re-registering of software.

Got the 500gbSSD a few weeks ago, love it, computer boot cut in half, apps loading quicker.

Good advice as above about testing windows 10, but having a backup of your old OS (in my case windows 7 32bit) I use acronis.

Now to solve boot problems for those double or triple booting such as windows 7 and windows 10 a great app to help set your boot menu is EasyBCD,

https://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/

Scroll down page and get the free version. This in my opinion is a must have app, has pulled me out of many corners on countless occasions for example you have a partition with an OS on it but can't boot into it at startup.

With easyBCD its simple a few clicks and your boot menu is ready to go. As with all things to do with the Master boot record MBR a little caution is advised.

As regards upgrading to windows 10,the only thing that I am worried about is if I upgrade to windows 10 then for some reason my M-Audio fast track pro doesn't work, If I reinstall my acronis image of windows 7 that somehow the product key in future will be seen as invalid. I have been assured that this won't happen on other forums that its part of the course with windows 10 that you can go back to windows 7, but still a little unsure.

Saying that with the help of EasyBCD I will try and have both windows 7 and windows 10 running on a dual boot configuration.

Musiclover

Last edited by musiclover; 07/24/15 05:22 AM.

Musiclover

My music https://www.youtube.com/user/donegalprideofall

Windows 10 (64bit) M-Audio Fast Track Pro, Band in a Box 2024, Cubase 13, Cakewalk and far too many VST plugins that I probably don't need or will ever use smile
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I started a new thread on the Keyboard Corner forum and one of the guys there responded with this link:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/975864-windows-10-thread-post-your-expectations-here-28.html

This is the same Pete in the Sonicstate article. Here he's responding to a very critical review by somebody and tells us he's a musician and has been using Cubase for years. This is great, he really knows our issues and talks about some of them.

On a side note concerning defragging, if you're on Win 7 it's recommended by MS you do NOT defrag, ever. There was a discussion about this a couple years ago and Mac chimed in agreeing with that.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
hey, Jazzmammal, thanks for the note about not defragging in windows 7. my desktop dedicated DAW is running win 7 and I was contemplating that action! Dennis

There are only 3 kinds of musicians: those that can count, and those that can't!
PC AMD A4-5300 APU 3.4 GHz, 8gb RAM, 1T HDD, Windows 10,
Reaper 4.77, BIAB2018, PTPA12, RB2018, Roland VS-880 DAW
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I think it's more a case of Windows 7 doing it for you. There's nothing wrong with defragging a Windows 7 hard drive; it's just that you will likely find it doesn't need it when you check, because it's been working behind the scenes.

Now, special case from experience: if you replace a mechanical boot hard drive with an SSD, then you MUST turn off defragging of that SSD. Windows is not going to recognize the switch and do it for you. It only sets it up correctly for a new build.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
If MS states that you can only have one licence, either for Win7 OR Win 10, when you take a clone of your drive, install Win 10 (and transfer the licence), will MS recognise your licence for Win 7, given that your single licence is in use for Win 10?

From what I understand MS give you 30 days to revert then auto wipe Win7.

Originally Posted By: Cornet Nev
OK, lets just run you all through the Microsoft license business first.

Firstly, any ready made computer manufactured by any of the big names will usually have what is called an OEM license for the operating system on it. You could also as an individual buy an OEM license. However these are a little cheaper than a full license, they were created to be used by system builders, not really for the Joe Blogs such as us. Being cheaper an OEM license is not in any way transferable, so cannot be installed on another computer if the first one dies. The license dies with the computer.
If however you were to buy a full retail license, and then your computer died, you can then install that operating system on to a new computer, providing of course that the old copy is removed from the old computer, or is not operational in any way. It is still one license for one computer.
Up until now, that has always been the case right through from the very first Windows operating system. However, it would now seem that the OEM version will be no more with Windows 10. What exactly this will mean as far as transfer, dual booting, and other things is yet to be seen.
However. going back to the previous operating systems, providing you buy the license for each operating system you intend to run, there is nothing to stop you from dual booting say Windows XP and Windows 8.1 if you have bought a license for each, even if one or both of them happens to be an OEM version.
Considering these are still supported for at least critical updates, you could buy OEM licenses (Providing you can still find them on sale) For Windows Vista (SP2), Windows 7 (SP1) Windows 8.1 and run them as multiple booting on one computer. Obviously the same would apply if you bought full retail licenses. You just have to bear in mind that if the licenses are OEM versions, they live and die with the computer they are on and cannot be transferred.
The important thing is that the license conditions do not allow you to run the same copy on two different computers. There is a way, however you must then buy the multiple license, which of course costs even more, and is not normally available outside a business environment.

So, you now have for example a computer running Windows 7, or Windows 8.1, it does not matter whether it is an OEM license or a full retail license, and you then upgrade via the upgrade system to the new Windows 10. Microsoft state that the original license for the previous operating system is transferred to the new upgrade. If you kept a copy of the old Windows 7, or 8.1, it is no longer licensed, unless you go through the previously mentioned downgrade back to your old system, and therefore scrap the Windows 10 copy. You only have 30 days to do that as the old system will be automatically deleted after that time.
That also means that any clone, system image, or other copy of the previous system will also be out of license after that 30 days, regardless of how you remove Windows 10.
If however you do wish to dual boot or even multiple boot with Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8.1, and also once released Windows 10, you must still buy the license for each, you cannot for example upgrade the Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 and still run the old Windows 8.1, at least not without buying a Windows 10 license and installing that without removing the original Windows 8.1

I know it all sounds very complex, however that is the way Microsoft works, they are only trying to keep their copyrights managed and prevent piracy.

Win 11 64, Asus Rog Strix z390 mobo, 64 gig RAM, 8700k
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
Being cheaper an OEM license is not in any way transferable, so cannot be installed on another computer if the first one dies. The license dies with the computer.

I don't think this is 100% accurate.
I have used the license number (usually found on the sticker on the side of the machine or in the manual) from an OEM license on a new system, used the 'call in' system to activate the license, and been fine. I just never used the older (OEM) system again. But the license, transferred fine to the new computer, even though it was a different brand/build altogether.
I had to load/install new drivers to match the new system, but it worked. The license, as mentioned in the same post, simply states it can't be used on more than one computer. It does not state that it must be used on this exact hardware. <grin>
So saying it is not transferable and dies with the original computer is not accurate in real life in my experience.

As for using the same license for dual-boot; I could see this being an issue after the 30 day trial. Especially with the new update.
Currently Windows will let you run an unauthenticated OS for 30 days or so, but eventually you must authenticate it.
This is different than 'registering' it by the way .. authenticate/register.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Off-Topic
Ryszard Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Just read a warning on Steinberg.net that there are massive issues with their flagship products, Cubase and Nuendo, and strongly recommend against upgrading to 10. They go on to say that the latest version of QuickTime does not run, effectively removing video support for those programs. Further, Yamaha USB and FireWire drivers are not supported. Hot off the press, folks.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Not according to Pete on Gearslutz. Go read what he says about Cubase. As for the driver issue, sure, that's gonna happen.

Bob

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,681
Posts735,871
Members38,538
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Zunzez, Isrra29, HukoKamb, adolesentcodger, Elizabeth Stephen
38,537 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 177