Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#308489 - 08/27/15 11:50 PM [User Showcase] A Vessel In A Storm
gruverider Offline
Expert

It's been ten years since Hurricane Katrina. I was there. My life was forever changed.

I could say so much more but ...

I wrote this song in August of 2007 with some lyrical help from a friend I made in my new home in Texas - Bobby Elkins.

https://soundcloud.com/lawrence-olivier/a-vessel-on-a-vessel (I got the title wrong when I first posted it to Soundcloud)

RealTracks: 1827 Bass, Praise and worship Drums,
2448 Guitar, 1581 Guitar, 1582 Guitar, 2534 Guitar, 1000 Guitar,
2503 Piano, 1690 Piano,
382 Slide Guitar (soloist),
1543 Synth Pad, 685 Harmonica, 1756 Pedal Steel (and Reverse 1756 Pedal Steel), 1173 Accordion

A Vessel In A Storm (August 2007)

Lyrics by Lawrence Olivier and Bobby Elkins

I’ve seen twenty-five years in Louisiana
Until she came ashore
She took me away from my city Lord
Can you really blame a man for moving on

I’m a vessel on a vessel in the middle of a storm
I’m like a candle in a hurricane
Sometimes you don’t know what it takes, takes to carry on
You’ve got to find the joy in the pain

I’ve seen the levees brake and bleed her
With the waters from Lake Pontchartrain
A city just can’t take that kind of beating
So can you really blame a man for moving on

Can you feel the streets of Bourbon, and the spirits coming down
Tell me how long will I have to wait
Can you see the virgins praying, and angels that surround
The white laced lady Pontchartrain

It’s been a hard climb, It’s gonna be a hard climb
It’s been a hard time, It’s gonna be a hard time

Did you find the joy in the pain

I’ve seen twenty-five years in Louisiana
Till Hurricane Katrina came ashore
She took me away from my city Lord
So can you really blame a man for moving on

Edited by gruverider (08/27/15 11:58 PM)

#308490 - 08/28/15 12:49 AM [User Showcase] Re: A Vessel In A Storm [Re: gruverider]
Loc: Sydney Australia
PeterF Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sydney Australia
Nicely done -heartfelt lyrics - hard to imagine here in Australia what it was like.(from a musical perspective the slide fits really well).

#308492 - 08/28/15 01:16 AM [User Showcase] Re: A Vessel In A Storm [Re: gruverider]
Loc: The Netherlands
RnAM Offline
Veteran

Loc: The Netherlands
Hello Lawrence,

well, there is not much not to like about this song laugh .
Cool vocals as always. A nice rhythmic feel, and like Peter said, the slide guitar fits this song like a glove.

Rob & Anne-Marie

RnAM Homepage (completely restyled)
YouTube Channel

#308518 - 08/28/15 06:42 AM [User Showcase] Re: A Vessel In A Storm [Re: gruverider]
Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
boehm Offline
Veteran

Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
Hi Lawrence,

everything fits perfectly.
And above all I like your vocals.
Very enjoyable listen.

Guenter

#308523 - 08/28/15 07:11 AM [User Showcase] Re: A Vessel In A Storm [Re: gruverider]
Loc: Florida
90 dB Offline
Veteran

Lawrence,

Good song. I can relate. A hurricane changes you forever. We were living right near the coast where Andrew made landfall in '92. Our house was the only one in our neighborhood that still had a roof the next day! Six hours of sheer terror.
Afterwards, we didn't have electricity or water for six months. I'll never go camping again! grin

I hope the song was therapeutic.

Regards,

Bob

p.s.

Looks like Erika will be over our area on Tuesday. We have a gig on Tuesday - I think. frown

Edited by 90 dB (08/28/15 07:41 AM)

https://90dbband.bandcamp.com/

https://soundcloud.com/90-db

#308631 - 08/29/15 08:56 AM [User Showcase] Re: A Vessel In A Storm [Re: gruverider]
F.M.M. Offline
Expert

hi Lawrence awesome work love your stuff thanks eric
AMD (TM) 8150 3.60 GHz Eight Core Processor 64 bit windows pro 64 bit os. sound card delta 1010 pci card 500 ssd drive 3 other drives guitars 1968 les Paul Custom and Cavin ae 185 Guitar boss Gt-100 pedal Carvin SRS Studio reference series

#308637 - 08/29/15 10:33 AM [User Showcase] Re: A Vessel In A Storm [Re: gruverider]
mwgilbert Offline
Enthusiast

Your tunes consistently have very professional sounding production and arrangements. On top of that you are a genuinely talented singer. The song has a bit of Bruce Hornsby thing going, and I can easily imagine hearing this without ever thinking of Band in a Box, or anything other than "cool song, wonder what the album sounds like".

The ten year anniversary of Katrina makes one think about the fragility of life and the resourcefulness and determination of people in the face of it. The song put me in the place of thinking about that, and that's a fine thing.

http://www.mwgilbert.com

#308653 - 08/29/15 01:20 PM [User Showcase] Re: A Vessel In A Storm [Re: gruverider]
Loc: Davis, CA
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Loc: Davis, CA

That is some great writing!! You never cease to amaze me Lawrence. This is a hit! Should be on a hundred radio stations. Vocal is amazing, arrangement rocks, everything works!!

Take care. Greg

#308657 - 08/29/15 02:13 PM [User Showcase] Re: A Vessel In A Storm [Re: Greg Johnson]
gruverider Offline
Expert

Originally Posted By: PeterF
Nicely done -heartfelt lyrics - hard to imagine here in Australia what it was like.(from a musical perspective the slide fits really well).

Thank you Peter. I auditioned several soloists and the slide guitar was the best fit by far. Although I tried to make the tenor sax work because it's a song about New Orleans.

Originally Posted By: RnAM
Hello Lawrence,

well, there is not much not to like about this song laugh .
Cool vocals as always. A nice rhythmic feel, and like Peter said, the slide guitar fits this song like a glove.

Rob & Anne-Marie
Thank you. I enjoy the rhythmic feel of these drums. I would like a bit of control of the kit though.

Originally Posted By: boehm
Hi Lawrence,

everything fits perfectly.
And above all I like your vocals.
Very enjoyable listen.

Guenter
Thank you again for stopping in for a listen. I'm glad you liked it.

Originally Posted By: 90 dB
Lawrence,

Good song. I can relate. A hurricane changes you forever. We were living right near the coast where Andrew made landfall in '92. Our house was the only one in our neighborhood that still had a roof the next day! Six hours of sheer terror.
Afterwards, we didn't have electricity or water for six months. I'll never go camping again! grin

I hope the song was therapeutic.

Regards,

Bob

p.s.

Looks like Erika will be over our area on Tuesday. We have a gig on Tuesday - I think. frown
I just read that Erika has weakened. I'm happy your sake. I only had 5 weeks of no services. Eating MRE's that we would pick up from the National Guard in the parking lot of a closed down grocery store. That and Ice were what we lived on. My Condo was undamaged though many around me were either flooded or lost the roof.

Originally Posted By: F.M.M.
hi Lawrence awesome work love your stuff thanks eric
Thank you again Eric.

Originally Posted By: mwgilbert
Your tunes consistently have very professional sounding production and arrangements. On top of that you are a genuinely talented singer. The song has a bit of Bruce Hornsby thing going, and I can easily imagine hearing this without ever thinking of Band in a Box, or anything other than "cool song, wonder what the album sounds like".

The ten year anniversary of Katrina makes one think about the fragility of life and the resourcefulness and determination of people in the face of it. The song put me in the place of thinking about that, and that's a fine thing.
Thanks for taking time to stop by and comment and for the kind words. Fragile indeed. Nothing is promised most of all tomorrow.

Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson

That is some great writing!! You never cease to amaze me Lawrence. This is a hit! Should be on a hundred radio stations. Vocal is amazing, arrangement rocks, everything works!!

Take care. Greg
That is very generous of you Greg. Thank you for that.

#308747 - 08/30/15 12:46 AM [User Showcase] Re: A Vessel In A Storm [Re: gruverider]
gruverider Offline
Expert

Yes I did.

#308748 - 08/30/15 12:47 AM [User Showcase] Re: A Vessel In A Storm [Re: gruverider]
gruverider Offline
Expert

I took over the "front page".

I'm not above that. lol

#308783 - 08/30/15 09:19 AM [User Showcase] Re: A Vessel In A Storm [Re: gruverider]
Loc: Middletown, PA.
44kfl Offline
Expert

Loc: Middletown, PA.
Awesome song, I love the sound of the slide guitar, it fits so well in the mix.

Kenny

#308801 - 08/30/15 10:09 AM [User Showcase] Re: A Vessel In A Storm [Re: gruverider]
Loc: Murgon Queensland Australia
Rob4580 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Murgon Queensland Australia
Great song from a seasoned musician.
Rob

#308826 - 08/30/15 01:57 PM [User Showcase] Re: A Vessel In A Storm [Re: gruverider]
Loc: Canyon Lake, TX
Steve Young Offline
Expert

Loc: Canyon Lake, TX
As usual, excellent work. The vocals are great, as I have come to expect from you. I grew up outside of Houston, and have seen my share of hurricanes. Katrina was a real mess. So many lost so much. Glad you survived. Enjoyed the song.

Steve

#308875 - 08/30/15 11:14 PM [User Showcase] Re: A Vessel In A Storm [Re: gruverider]
Loc: wales
gibson Offline
Veteran

Loc: wales
Lawrence,
What an awful event!
You and Bobby have collaborated for a beautiful song

Quote:

As others have said, all fits perfectly

a good, but sad, listen

Alyn

#308914 - 08/31/15 05:58 AM [User Showcase] Re: A Vessel In A Storm [Re: gruverider]
Loc: South Carolina
Charlie Fogle Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Carolina
A touching story. I have nearly 40 years on the east coast where I lived and shared similar stories with folks encountering natural disasters such as hurricanes, tropical storms, floods and tornadoes as a insurance claims adjuster. Working along side an adjuster who had his own home destroyed but out helping others suffering the same fate. Meeting people who had to be rescued from tree tops, roof tops or cars being swept away by floodwaters.

Nature can be hard to reckon with.

Good song, excellent vocals and production.

Charlie

#308946 - 08/31/15 09:23 AM [User Showcase] Re: A Vessel In A Storm [Re: gruverider]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

I like everything about this one, Lawrence.

Terrific arrangement and mix. Spectacular vocals - as always!

(We just dogged a bullet here... had a flight back in last night... so I was concerned for a while..)

floyd

#308960 - 08/31/15 02:05 PM [User Showcase] Re: A Vessel In A Storm [Re: floyd jane]
gruverider Offline
Expert

Originally Posted By: 44kfl
Awesome song, I love the sound of the slide guitar, it fits so well in the mix.

Kenny
Thank you Kenny. I spent a lot of time lately studying the left-right-center panning technique like it sounds like you used on "Miracle Mile". I'm staring to dig it and plan to use it on my next recording.

Originally Posted By: Rob4580
Great song from a seasoned musician.
Rob
Thanks for stopping in for a listen.

Originally Posted By: Steve Young
As usual, excellent work. The vocals are great, as I have come to expect from you. I grew up outside of Houston, and have seen my share of hurricanes. Katrina was a real mess. So many lost so much. Glad you survived. Enjoyed the song.

Steve
Steve, thanks for listening. And yes Katrina was a mess.

Originally Posted By: gibson
Lawrence,
What an awful event!
You and Bobby have collaborated for a beautiful song

Quote:

As others have said, all fits perfectly

a good, but sad, listen

Alyn
Ayln thank you for listening. It was sad indeed.

Originally Posted By: c_fogle
A touching story. I have nearly 40 years on the east coast where I lived and shared similar stories with folks encountering natural disasters such as hurricanes, tropical storms, floods and tornadoes as a insurance claims adjuster. Working along side an adjuster who had his own home destroyed but out helping others suffering the same fate. Meeting people who had to be rescued from tree tops, roof tops or cars being swept away by floodwaters.

Nature can be hard to reckon with.

Good song, excellent vocals and production.

Charlie
Thank you Charlie. Nature will let you know just who is really in charge.

Originally Posted By: floyd jane
I like everything about this one, Lawrence.

Terrific arrangement and mix. Spectacular vocals - as always!

(We just dogged a bullet here... had a flight back in last night... so I was concerned for a while..)

floyd
I was keeping track of that storm too. Glad you liked the song.

#308995 - 08/31/15 08:26 PM [User Showcase] Re: A Vessel In A Storm [Re: gruverider]
Loc: Sacramento, California
dcuny Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sacramento, California
Great song, strong production, awesome vocal.

It's interesting that you mentioned you'd auditioned the tenor sax instead of the slide. I'd always associated the trumpet with New Orleans.

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?

#309075 - 09/01/15 01:01 PM [User Showcase] Re: A Vessel In A Storm [Re: gruverider]
Loc: Cremona-Italy
Sergio Guarneri Offline
Expert

Loc: Cremona-Italy

Hello,

I really like this song.
great mixing of sounds, very soft and enjoyable.

Great voice too.

Hello.
Sergio.

Sergio

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
Learn More About Part Markers - New Overview Video!

Adding Part Markers to your Band-in-a-Box® song is a GREAT way to create an even more unique and interesting piece!

Check out our latest video to learn more about using Part Markers with Band-in-a-Box® - Click here to watch...

Read more about this feature when you review the "Part Markers, Substyles, and Song Form" section of Chapter 6 of our online manual here.

The Band-in-a-Box® Songs & Lessons PAK - Explained

Every purchase of the Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows UltraPAK+ or Audiophile Edition includes The Songs & Lessons PAK!

The Songs & Lessons PAK is loaded with all of the MIDI Essential Riffs and Phrases Series, all of our MIDI Fakebooks, 200 Folk Songs, and Instrumental Studies! It is also available for separate purchase here.

Learn more about The Songs & Lessons PAK: Video link...

Video - Band-in-a-Box® for Windows: Track Freezing Tutorial

Learn how to freeze your mixer track within Band-in-a-Box® 2019 when you check out our latest video: Click here to watch...

Video - Setting And Organizing Your Favorite Styles in Band-in-a-Box® for Windows

Learn how quickly you can set up and organize your list of your favorite styles in Band-in-a-Box® with our latest video - we have more than 6,000 Styles, so you could find this feature VERY helpful to streamline your songwriting! Click here to watch the video on our YouTube channel.

Visit Chapter 6 of the Online Manual to read more about applying Styles within Band-in-a-Box®.

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Build 619 Available

An update is available for Band-in-a-Box® Version 2019!

Learn more about this update & download it here.

This is a cumulative update patch, which works from any 2019 build. VST DAW Plugin update to 1.11.14 is included in this patch.

There is also a separate RealTracks patch available! Click here to review the updates and download this patch.

Summary of changes for Band-in-a-Box® Version 2019 build 619:
Fixed: "Pause Play until MIDI or key received" setting did not work if using WAS audio drivers.
Fixed: Some important flash messages were not displaying properly.
Fixed: The 64 bit version did not have the MIDI Monitor window.
Fixed: The drums window would not update after toggling "Display QWERTY Chars On Drums" setting.
Fixed: Saving an XML or ABC file will sometimes crash Band-in-a-Box.
Fixed: Some ASIO devices would fail to start with error "Your ASIO driver uses a MAC-based data format. The program does not support MAC-basedformats."
Improved: ASIO now supports extra audio formats: 64 bit float samples, and big endian sample types (16, 18, 20, 24, & 32 bit).
Fixed: If an ASIO audio device has more than 32 input or output ports, Band-in-a-Box would crash with an access violation when leaving the ASIO Audio Drivers window.
Fixed: Silent gaps between RealTracks riffs were not being filled.
Fixed: There were undesirable gaps between riffs in RealTracks 1278: Synth Pad, PopUplift Ev 120.

Summary of fixes for the VST DAW Plugin:
Fixed: Generating a single RealDrums rendered wrong track and had wrong name sometimes.
Fixed: UserTracks not showing correct name, or not generating sometimes.
Fixed: Loops and UserTracks were sometimes ALL CAPS names.
Fixed: Drums track names showed up as "N/A" drums when style loaded from a song.
Improved: Generating only the master works better.
Improved: Master.mid and indivudal MIDI files are saved.
Improved: Names for style tracks when on melody or soloist.
Fixed: Generating a loop when the style contained a soloist track wasn't working.
Fixed: In some DAWs an error could occur while dragging tracks.
Fixed: Blue square filled up after generating only master track.
Fixed: Midi playback caused crash in some DAWs (e.g. Pro Tools, Studio One)
Fixed: Render hangs with large render wav file in some cases.

The Band-in-a-Box® 2019 49-PAK with 40 Unreleased RealTracks!

Our Band-in-a-Box® 2019 49-PAK is still available, and it's PACKED with Add-ons you'll want in your Band-in-a-Box® library!

The 2019 49-PAK includes 40 UNRELEASED RealTracks, 10 "Low Man" & Re-amped "12-Key" Metal/Thrash Electric Guitar RealTracks, 6 MIDI SuperTracks in MIDI SuperTracks Set 28: Pop Basses, 6 more MIDI SuperTracks with Set 29: More Organ, Piano & Accordion, 21 RealDrums Transcriptions, 240 guitar licks and riffs in Instrumental Studies 7: Brent Mason 12-key CountryPop Guitar Licks and Instrumental Studies 8: Brent Mason 12-key Train-Beat Licks, 30 new MIDI Styles, and Artist Performance Set 9: Celtic Flute with Geoff Kelly! Learn more and listen to demos: www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.49pak.htm

Add this to your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase for just $49! Purchasing an UltraPAK, UltraPAK+ or Audiophile Edition? As of January 16th, the 49-PAK is included in your purchase (uncompressed RealTracks files for the Audiophile too)!

Learn more about the 49-PAK and listen to demos at https://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.49pak.htm

Video - Selecting the Best RealTracks for Your Song in Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows

With over 2,700 RealTracks available for Band-in-a-Box®, you may find this "Selecting the Best RealTracks for your Song" video helpful! In this video we go over the "select best RealTracks" dialog within Band-in-a-Box® 2019: Click here to watch.

For more information on this feature, visit the Chapter 6 | Using RealTracks in Songs

Forum Stats
28995 Members
60 Forums
56987 Topics
476266 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
AnnWa, javiergomez, ZCV BB, Sordova, jazzchia

28995 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Pipeline 189
Noel96 170