Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
lambada #297455 05/30/15 06:08 AM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Maybe I should start a new thread, but I'll try here:

I like to play fiddle or guitar on stage and sing. I wish there was an upright bass player in the neighborhood that could accompany me. But there isn't. I love playing along with an upright bass.

However, some time ago, I discovered the real track bass in BIAB. At home, I like to isolate the base track and use my new zoom H5 multitrack recorder. First I lay down the base track and then overdub fiddle, guitar and or voice.

I wish I could take that bass track with me on stage so that I could have a virtual base backing me up on fiddle/guitar and voice. But I can't find any easy way to do that. I don't have a laptop but I have a new iPhone 6+. Maybe what I need to do is find a simple foot pedal to activate the BIAB bass track that is somehow connected through my iPhone and into the house PA sysstem. What ever the set up, it needs to be simple. It's hard enough to control all the variables so that you can begin playing back with just a bass track. If you don't start off perfectly, or you lose where you are in the song in the middle of the performance, it's a total disaster! :-)

Can anybody help me with a set up that would work for me? Thank you so much, Tom

lambada #297457 05/30/15 06:20 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: lambada
:-) The Voicelive 3 extreme might have a few people licking their lips though smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wl9B6Rg5f4

Holy Crap, that is Extreme. All the effects and changes pre-programmed in. No need to do a thing but hit play and sing. If I had all the time in the world along with the money...

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

tonnie #297458 05/30/15 06:24 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: tonnie
Bob,

Loading a song takes less than 30 seconds, but I use that time to announce my next tune.

As I have never played in "outer Space", I must have been playing in the same real world as you.

Tonnie

If you're taking a half a minute between songs, we're not playing in the same world. wink

Regards,

Bob

lambada #297459 05/30/15 06:42 AM
J
Journeyman
Journeyman
J
I used BIAB for years live with success. I played guitar, with vocals, along with a sax player. Played straight from the “Jukebox” feature on a laptop, into a mixer, and into the PA system. Worked great. Would still be doing that, but, got into arranger keyboards, which is a whole new ballgame for providing backing tracks.

tonnie #297485 05/30/15 08:55 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Bob,

Loading a song takes less than 30 seconds, but I use that time to announce my next tune.

As I have never played in "outer Space", I must have been playing in the same real world as you.

Tonnie

Tonnie
Are your tracks are frozen? Loading a song and playing should take seconds.
Trev

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Journeyman
Journeyman
Trev,

Loading a song takes no time at all, but there is this moment after I press the play button.

It seems to be depending on how many tracks (instruments) there are in a arrangement and if there are one or two harmonies applied.

You might have read in my earlier postings (under the same heading), that I only occasionally use frozen tracks, and then as few as possible.

Brgds,
Tonnie

tonnie #297779 06/01/15 03:40 AM
Veteran
Veteran
If you freeze song tracks, but not, all, then playing the song will take some regeneration, which = some time

Why don't you freeze all tracks? What's the reason?

Is this time delay the same on other computers?

What's you computer spec? CPU, Memory, disk capacity etc?

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
lambada #297866 06/01/15 07:29 PM
J
jt3 Offline
Apprentice
Apprentice
J
I use biab all the time live. sometimes I go solo and then me and another guy do a duet. I'm playing just like I did when in a band. I don't have much as for video's though. I have posted some on facebook

lambada #297877 06/01/15 10:22 PM
L
lambada Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
L
Point taken re the videos everyone. What I'm finding interesting is the chatter, so keep it coming. I'm getting some ideas clear in my own head re how to go live and realising that BIAB isn't just guys doing songwriting in a bedroom/woodshed not that there is anything wrong with that. It's also kicking me into action (sort of.) Freezing would work for me as I'm busy enough with my other gear. Maybe wave files. It looks like I might need to get a decent audio interface for the tablet.

Windows 10 Home 20H2 Build 19042.487
BIAB 2021 (Build 818)
Intel(R) Core(TM), i3-4160, CPU @3.60 GHz RAM 16 GB, 64 Bit X64-based processor
Zoom UAC-2 (USB 3 interface-built in midi)
VoiceLive 3 Extreme, Sputnik Valve Condenser Mic
Journeyman
Journeyman
In my posting 27 May I wrote:

"First I use BiaB, since each playback is somewhat different, which I as a jazz oriented player prefer."

Tonnie

tonnie #301882 07/05/15 05:27 AM
Apprentice
Apprentice
This all sounds so complicated (and backbreaking to transport). I just use my Fender Hot Rod Deville guitar amp that has two 12" speakers. My guitar goes into one input, BIAB IPad into the other. Sounds great. No fuss.
Any other guitarists doing this?

Cheers! -Alastair
B
Journeyman
Journeyman
B
Originally Posted By: AlastairLC
This all sounds so complicated (and backbreaking to transport). I just use my Fender Hot Rod Deville guitar amp that has two 12" speakers. My guitar goes into one input, BIAB IPad into the other. Sounds great. No fuss.
Any other guitarists doing this?

All depends on your age and strength. smile

For me, a Fender HRD with 2x12's is way too heavy!

I've separated my Combos now into head + speaker cab so that the heaviest component is 27 lbs. smile

BIABguy
BIABguy #302191 07/08/15 04:45 AM
Apprentice
Apprentice
Smart man! With my increasing age and decreasing strength, 54lbs is indeed a load to lug, but still worth it for the important gigs (a large wheel luggage cart helps). For rehearsals and other gigs I use a Fender Blues Jr. III (31lbs), but it doesn't have a separate input for BIAB. Do you play BIAB through your guitar amp, or use a separate PA system?

Cheers! -Alastair
Journeyman
Journeyman
Using BIAB live part 2.

My postings in Tom’s original thread “Using BIAB live” #297455 - 05/30/15 received some “flack” by some forum members who found my setup “too complicated”.

At first I felt that this was uncalled for criticism, as my setup both sounded great and for me it was workable.

However recently I have put together a somewhat simpler setup that sounds just as great (but without the option to sing close-harmony all by myself).

I built a laptop, a Roland Canvas SD-50 and a Behringer Super X Pro Crossover filter all into a SKB 1SKB19-RSF2U Studio Flyer Laptop/2U Rack/Flight Case with Wheels.

I will still need an additional stereo PA, like the e.g. Fender Passport and a small bass amp like e.g. Gallien-Krüger MB150, but the sound is just as great when using BB as my present setup.

tonnie #309024 09/01/15 03:32 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Using BIAB live part 2.

... received some “flack” by some forum members who found my setup “too complicated”.

At first I felt that this was uncalled for criticism, as my setup both sounded great and for me it was workable.

What, not here is our little friendly forum. grin
My live gear is about has complex as it can be. And after the one gig where it took me 10 minutes of stage time to find the switch which someone (me??) had thrown on my mixer which prevented any sound, I continue to simplify where I can.

I built a laptop, a Roland Canvas SD-50 and a Behringer Super X Pro Crossover filter all into a SKB 1SKB19-RSF2U Studio Flyer Laptop/2U Rack/Flight Case with Wheels.

Got Pictures?

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

DrDan #309484 09/05/15 01:39 PM
Expert
Expert
I have two Behringer Amps that sound great with BIAB....for my guitar/keyboard synths/bass guitars ...heavy suckers that need some wheels under them...

ULTRATONE K3000FX

Ultra-Flexible 300-Watt 4-Channel PA System / Keyboard Amplifier with FX and FBQ Feedback Detection

Ultra-flexible 300-Watt 4-channel PA System / Keyboard Amplifier
Powerful 15'' BUGERA woofer and custom-made 1'' driver for ultimate sound reproduction
Integrated digital FX processor with 100 awesome presets including reverb, chorus, flanger, delay, pitch shifter and various multi-effects
Revolutionary FBQ Feedback Detection System instantly reveals critical frequencies
Full 4-channel stereo operation with separate Volume and FX Send per channel
Additional XLR mic input on Channel 1 for direct connection of dynamic microphones

Bass Amp:
The Behringer ULTRABASS BXL900 90 watt 2 Channel Bass workstation. Truly affordable, wedge-shaped Bass Workstation .

The Behringer ULTRABASS BXL900 is a truly affordable wedge-shaped Bass Workstation with a powerful 12 inch special high-impact cone speaker. With 90 Watts of power, your performance will never run out of breath. It features one clean and one distortion channel with full control, a 7-band EQ with a revolutionary See-What-You-Play FBQ frequency indicator that immediately shows you which bass frequency corresponds with which fader on your EQ to allow you instant sound shaping and a switchable Ultrabass subharmonics processor. A musical limiter guarantees playing without distortion on the clean channel even at the highest volume levels. You can use the separate headphone output whenever you need to keep your music just to yourself.

The main features of the Behringer ULTRABASS BXL900 include:

Powerful 90-Watt 2-channel Bass Workstation in wedge-shaped cabinet
Original BUGERA 12 inch special high-impact cone speaker
Clean channel with dedicated Gain control
Distortion channel with dedicated Gain, Shape and Level controls
Ultra-musical, active 7-band graphic EQ with FBQ Spectrum Analyzer
Revolutionary "See what you play" FBQ frequency indicator for instant sound shaping
Switchable Ultrabass subharmonics processor for unbelievable low-end power
Musical opto-limiter for ultimate volume without distortion
Separate headphone output—perfect for quiet practicing
CD input allows you to play along to your favorite music

I love the play and sing jazz and Broadway orientd (American Songbook} material. I utilize BIAB mostly already setup for Real Band and Real Drum Backing...don't wanna bother with arranging per Se,
but outright jamming/singings with the present files available and pre-constructed.
I have downloaded a number of hits, mostly originals...and I'll sometimes use my JamMan to eliminate their voice. and use mine, which is "almost" identical in tone and phrasing to that old swinger, Mel Torme. All of this is available on my HP 300 laptop, along with Sonar Platinum, so I have a deep variety of back-up choices.

Taking my GR-303 and GM-70 Synth/Jsxx rack unit (ala Metheney), a Fender fretless-bass guitar, and a couple of "knock-off" Gibsons, 335's and 175's are all "musts" for gigs. I have also used a rolling PeaveyRack unit, which houses, among other things, some lexicons and
other assorted effects and loopers.

I also have some Boss Pedals and guitar pedal boards, if called for.

Last edited by GDaddy; 09/05/15 02:44 PM.

Yamaha...Motif ES-8, Motif Rack, CS6X
Korg...Karma,Triton Classic, PA-80, M-1+
AkaiSampler-S5000, Roland.. X5080 Rack/G-1000 Arranger
Various Guitars/Basses Amps Pedals Rec.Equip.

Plus, BIAB 2015 and Sonar Platinum 2015 Upgrade from Cakewalk's Sonar X-3
lambada #309510 09/06/15 03:35 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Since I was one who gave you 'flack', allow me to elucidate. Your statement:

“Secondly I play guitar though a pedal board into a guitar amp, but also via a Roland GR-33 guitar synth into my stereo PA, a Fender Passport 150.

From my laptop I split the BiaB output via a Roland UM one into an UA-1 X (for Real Sounds) and Roland XV-5050 (For MIDI sound) and (MIDI) Output Chords to my TC-Helicon Voice Works (For “Close Harmony” singing “Four Freshmen”-style),

The Real and Midi sounds are mixed together with the aid of a small (4 channel mixer) and then go through a 3 way crossover filter. The output of the treble and middle tones are sent (in stereo) to the mixer part of the Passport, while the bass part is send to two Gallien-Krueger bass amps. 

This way the bass, bass drum and the lower end of the piano do not “burden” the small Passport speakers and can be fully controlled separately. 

The outputs from the TC-Helicon Voice Works go in stereo via an Antares AVP-1 and into the Passport mixer.”

I'm sorry, but that is a very complicated setup for a single. You could accomplish all of that with a laptop, small format mixer and a decent PA. I see more of that setup than any other these days.

I don't want to bust your chops, but the Fender “Passport” is a toy. You might consider a couple of powered speakers or a Bose system. Danny C has a Bose, and loves it.

If your system sounds good to you and you're happy with it, more power to you. I didn't mean to rain on your parade – I was just making an observation.

Regards,

Bob

DrDan #315968 10/27/15 04:00 AM
Journeyman
Journeyman
After having used the setup I mentioned, I have found that I should have bought a 3U Rack/Flight Case. As the SD-50 is not rack mountable and one can not see the top of it, while inside the rack. Otherwise is all works very well.

tonnie #315989 10/27/15 05:35 AM
Veteran
Veteran
After having used the setup I mentioned, I have found that I should have bought a 3U Rack/Flight Case. As the SD-50 is not rack mountable and one can not see the top of it, while inside the rack. Otherwise is all works very well.

Supposedly, there was a rack mount adapter available separately from Roland for the SD-50. If you can find one, you might consider a slant-top rack like these:

http://store.roadreadycases.com/dyn_prodlist.php?k=154310

I have the 10U case, and it's built like a tank - very heavy as well. I've got my Soundcraft mixer, EQs, amp - everything in the one case. Makes setup a lot easier.

Regards,

Bob

lambada #316011 10/27/15 08:14 AM
Journeyman
Journeyman
I would LOVE to see the notation be a little more flexible with songs that span two pages. I mostly use .PDF fakebooks, but have lots of BIAB songs that are not in any of them (or need to be transposed on the fly.) I have a Surface Pro 3 tablet, and most of the time end up printing to a .PDF on my desktop to read. Would love to eliminate those steps.

I think there would be a market for an app that could just DISPLAY (and transpose) BIAB format files just to be used as a Fakebook (at a lower price than the full featured program.)

Jan - 12 Core AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
32GB DDR4
Win 10 64-bit
Samsung m.2 SSD Boot drive,other SSD internal and USB drives.
MOTO 2
Ketron SD4,SD1000
Yamaha RX-v381amp
VB-Audio virtual cables
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,394
Posts732,478
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195