When I checked my telephone
You say you’re back in town again
And you’re feelin’ all alone
You say that you still need me
And you’d like to start anew
But let me tell you Darlin’
Just how much that I need you…

I need you like another broken heart
I pulled my self together when you took my world apart.
Like a dog needs fleas, and a flooded field needs rain,
I need you like the desert needs a drain.
I think this time the finish line’s the place that we should start
‘Cause I need you like another broken heart.

I see you haven’t changed
And you still have a way with words
What you’re lackin’ in commitment
You’re makin’ up with nerve.
Last time you said you’d love me
Until time came to an end
Next day you walked away
And it was only half past ten…

(Chorus)

I think this time the finish line’s the place that we should start
‘Cause I need you like another broken heart.
Yes, I need you… like another broken heart.

I was hoping for a Buck Owens type sound - BGVs on the chorus would have been nice, but I'm not there yet. : )

Comments appreciated!

Last edited by Curt Young; 09/07/15 02:01 AM.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
"I see you haven’t changed
And you still have a way with words
What you’re lackin’ in commitment
You’re makin’ up with nerve.
Last time you said you’d love me
Until time came to an end
Next day you walked away
And it was only half past ten…"

Curt - that is really clever writing!...

"I think this time the finish line’s the place that we should start"... That, too!..

Cool tempo change. Good country sound throughout. The pedal steel could be a bit lower under the vocals - a bit more subtle. It is a good level for its solo. I like the way you had it and the fiddle trading off in the first verse. Everything else fits nicely.

Another well done song.

floyd

User Showcase
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Curt, you nailed the classic country sound. Good job and I enjoyed this from start to finish.

Did miss the Don Rich freight train fender guitar and high harmony that would have cemented the Buck Owens sound. But everything else is there and this certainly sounded like a song Buck Owens would have been proud for him and Don to record.

Charlie

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
My immediate thought was this is reminiscent of the great country crooners like Eddie Arnold....

I like the tempo change. I can recall a number of the old songs that did that.

Very nice chord changes in the progressions. The bass anticipating the upcoming chord is good too.

Clever lyrics. I'm thinking this could have been a hit back in the day.

comments on the mix

I'm in agreement with Floyd on the steel being too loud behind the vocals. With old country, try pulling the steel out (no lead stuff) behind the vocalist. Let the acoustic guitars or a non-lead piano, carry those sections because the spotlight in these old country songs is the singer. Let the steel do fills in the appropriate places between the vocal phrases. Just one example: On the first chorus... steel in after the word "heart" and out on the word "pulled". Quick short fills, swap with fiddle fills, guitar fills, etc.... If you let a "solo" instrument play behind the vocal, be sure it doesn't play loud and that it doesn't do anything that's interesting enough that pulls the listener's ear away from the singer and what the lyrics are saying.

All in all, well done with just a few minor places to make changes. Good job.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 09/07/15 04:18 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Curt,

LOVE the tempo change!
I can't comment on the similarity to other country stars BUT I did like this a lot.
I agree the slide should be down a bit in places but otherwise all sounded good on my system, and played loud.

enjoyed it immensely

Alyn

User Showcase
C
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
C
Floyd,

Your advice is ALWAYS welcome, and your kind comments appreciated. I really need to set up some monitors - all I've got to work with at the moment are headphones, monitors would have to help. Referencing your remarks if I redo this will be a priority and very useful.

Quote:
Did miss the Don Rich freight train fender guitar and high harmony that would have cemented the Buck Owens sound.

Charlie - Yes, that is exactly what I had in mind. Don Rich harmonies and the "Buckaroos" would be the ideal. I'm going to experiment with BGVs, as I would like to include them in most of the songs I put together, anyway.

I really think a female lead vocalist rendition would be even better for this song, given the lyrics. (like a Janice Merrit smile )But for the time being I have my hands full trying to learn to properly record a male vocal.

Herb,

Thank you for your most excellent advice as well.

I realize this doesn't fit today's sound - and retro is kind of what I had in mind, I guess. I love the old stuff, and don't listen to much mainstream (modern) country today. Maybe I should, and try to update my approach to writing.

I appreciate your help!

Last edited by Curt Young; 09/07/15 06:00 AM.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Curt,

good old country song.
I enjoyed listening.

Guenter

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Yeah man, we felt an immediate Buck/Don
feel here. Very nice take on the classic
sound. We still enjoy watching those
old shows.

Enjoyed it!

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hey Curt. You have a classic country voice. A real throw back to the old days.
Nicely done.
Rob

User Showcase
C
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
C
Alyn,

Thanks for the kind words. The tempo change was an experiment for me, but surprisingly worked as I hoped. BIAB is such a tremendously versatile tool.

Guenter,

I appreciate your listening. I would imagine it can be kind of painful for someone with an ear for mixing like yours, but I guess my biggest enjoyment is in the writing. Thanks for seeing through the flaws!

Quote:
Yeah man, we felt an immediate Buck/Don
feel here. Very nice take on the classic
sound. We still enjoy watching those
old shows.

Enjoyed it!

J&B

Yee Haw! Mission accomplished smile

Rob,

Thanks!

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Fun listen!

I love the lyrics - as others have said, it nails that "classic" country style. If you could pull off that background vocal bit that's been mentioned, that would be the icing on the cake.

I also liked the way you nailed that low note at the end. laugh

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
User Showcase
C
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
C
Quote:
I also liked the way you nailed that low note at the end

Thanks, David!

I actually prefer singing lower parts. Sang bass with a Gospel Quartet for a while & really enjoyed it. More in my comfort zone. I don't care much for the sound of my voice in this kind of stuff. To be honest, I'd rather just write and hand stuff to someone else for the recording.

But glad you liked the song!

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
So well written. And just love the play on the theme with tempo and rhythm changes to boot!

I was taken back to "Thank God and Greyhound She's Gone" good ol Roy

super song!

User Showcase
B
B
wow very good!!!!

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hello,

nice classic country song.
Great voice and rhythm variation.

Hello.
Sergio.

Sergio
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,390
Posts732,453
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195