Options
Index
#311090 - 09/20/15 04:17 PM [User Showcase] Trouble In Mind
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Trouble In Mind

Trouble in mind is a public domain song* that has been recorded by hundreds of artists (from Janis Joplin to Johnny Cash). We played it with our bluegrass band years ago and thought it would be fun to do a more bluesy version now that BiaB has given us such a fine array of bands smile We chose a minimalist arrangement with a bit of a mashup regarding RT and RD choices. Like so many of these traditional songs many of the verse variations are a bit vague and rhyme schemes are sketchy but we tried to select some verses (of the many) that hung together somewhat.

As always we appreciate your time to listen and we appreciate any and all comments.

J&B

Vocal: Janice
Drums: Nashville Shuffle
Bass: 2435 New Orleans Shuffle
Guitar: 2436 New Orleans Shuffle
Piano: Comped from multiple generations of 2124 Country Shuffle Rhythm and 2123 Country Shuffle Solo
Bud: Mix/Master/Effects via Logic Pro X, Nectar 2, Ozone 6 and Waves LinMB

Trouble In Mind

I felt like laying my head
On some lonesome railroad line,
And letting the 219 train
Ease my troubled mind.

Trouble in mind, Lord I'm blue
Honey I won't be blue always,
The Sun's gonna shine in my,
Shine in my back door someday.

I'm goin' down to the river,
Gonna take me a rockin' chair.
And if these blues don't leave me,
I’ll rock on away from here.

Trouble in mind, Lord I'm blue
Honey I won't be blue always,
The Sun's gonna shine in my,
Shine in my back door someday.

I'm all alone, I'm alone at midnight,
The lamp is burnin low
I never had so much trouble
In my whole life before

Trouble in mind, I’m blue, now,
I won't be blue always.
That wind's gonna come,
It's gonna blow my blues away

Yeah, that wind’s gonna come
It’s gonna blow my blues away

© 2015 Trad Arr Janice & Bud Merritt

*Archive.org

www.janiceandbud.com

Check out our BiaB SoundCloud songs!
J&B YouTube Sampler
J&B Website
Our album "All Over The Map" is on Apple Music, Spotify and others.

#311093 - 09/20/15 05:10 PM [User Showcase] Re: Trouble In Mind [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: South Carolina
Charlie Fogle Offline
Veteran

While Janice is singing "trouble in mind" I'm singing "A new bass I've found" -- Wow, that 2435 New Orleans Shuffle bass really rocks along. Shamelessly stealing your bass player man, offered him $5 more a gig and a six pack of beer to take home.

And the song, great performance, arrangement, mix and production. Enjoyed this one. Excellent at every level.

Charlie

#311117 - 09/20/15 11:14 PM [User Showcase] Re: Trouble In Mind [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: wales
gibson Offline
Veteran

Janice and Bud,

What a song to start my week, I hope it is prophetic as I sure need "that wind that's gonna come" in about 3 hours crazy . I need sumpin' for the coming weeks for sure. smile

Anyway at the first few listens the change of tempo at 21secs threw me with the plosive at the start of the word trouble, In my ears it sounded like a bit of a vicious edit BUT at subsequent listens it got better laugh . Wish I could have put the song on repeat tho' grin

Janice soon settled into her normal exquisite vocals at every listen.

Your version stands up proud with Nina Simone's and Johnny Cash's versions and is better than Janis Joplin's version IMHO.

A good way to spend 2.18.

An excellent version and "the band" played good!

Alyn

#311121 - 09/21/15 12:57 AM [User Showcase] Re: Trouble In Mind [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Sydney Australia
PeterF Offline
Veteran

I think I'd borrow the piano player as well.
All sounds great and agree with Charlie it's excellent at every level.

#311134 - 09/21/15 05:27 AM [User Showcase] Re: Trouble In Mind [Re: Charlie Fogle]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: c_fogle
While Janice is singing "trouble in mind" I'm singing "A new bass I've found" -- Wow, that 2435 New Orleans Shuffle bass really rocks along. Shamelessly stealing your bass player man, offered him $5 more a gig and a six pack of beer to take home.
And the song, great performance, arrangement, mix and production. Enjoyed this one. Excellent at every level.
Charlie

Thanks Charlie! With our original arrangement Janice was going to play rhythm mandolin and I was going to dust off the bass fiddle and play a walking line. But the acoustic solo sw RTs were a bit too country for the sound we wanted; however, I stumbled into the NO guitar and bass and it changed the whole approach to the song. Yep, it's a great bass RT and even has a slight tuba feel. And with BiaB you can have the bass man on the cheap and he'll always be on time.

J&B

J&B YouTube Sampler
J&B Website

#311152 - 09/21/15 09:36 AM [User Showcase] Re: Trouble In Mind [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
boehm Offline
Veteran

Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
Hi Janice & Bud,

great band and great singer!
An excellent production.
Very enjoyable listen.

Guenter

#311225 - 09/22/15 12:49 AM [User Showcase] Re: Trouble In Mind [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Australia
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Hi Janice and Bud,

Janice, your vocal-only introduction is brilliant. There's nothing quite like launching straight into vocals to grab attention. VERY impressive.

Bud, the mix is magnificent, perfect. I can't imagine any better framework than the instruments you used. You really know how to get the best out of Realtracks.

In a phrase... exceptional in every way!

All the best,
Noel

#311256 - 09/22/15 06:55 AM [User Showcase] Re: Trouble In Mind [Re: gibson]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: gibson
Janice and Bud,

What a song to start my week, I hope it is prophetic as I sure need "that wind that's gonna come" in about 3 hours crazy . I need sumpin' for the coming weeks for sure. smile

Anyway at the first few listens the change of tempo at 21secs threw me with the plosive at the start of the word trouble, In my ears it sounded like a bit of a vicious edit BUT at subsequent listens it got better laugh . Wish I could have put the song on repeat tho' grin

Janice soon settled into her normal exquisite vocals at every listen.

Your version stands up proud with Nina Simone's and Johnny Cash's versions and is better than Janis Joplin's version IMHO.

A good way to spend 2.18.

An excellent version and "the band" played good!

Alyn

Thanks Alyn and we hope things are going well with you. FWIW, I don't hear the pop on trouble but I have very old and worn out ears smile I use a breath controller on Janice's vocals to reduce (not eliminate) the breath intake before lines so I'll check to see if it is clipping the first nanosecond of the word. Dunno...but glad that you liked it!

Bud

J&B YouTube Sampler
J&B Website

#311260 - 09/22/15 07:18 AM [User Showcase] Re: Trouble In Mind [Re: Janice & Bud]
gibson Offline
Veteran

I wish I had never mentioned it now mad blush because at each play it gets better! weird or what but now it is ok. Maybe my ears need looking at smile Although I have noticed that the vol control on my computer was at 100% when I normally have it at 75 or less.
Anyway still an excellent version.

Alyn

#311278 - 09/22/15 09:22 AM [User Showcase] Re: Trouble In Mind [Re: gibson]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: gibson
I wish I had never mentioned it now mad blush because at each play it gets better! weird or what but now it is ok. Maybe my ears need looking at smile Although I have noticed that the vol control on my computer was at 100% when I normally have it at 75 or less.
Anyway still an excellent version.

Alyn

No need to wish that at all! We are always open to mix comments. I backed off on the breath controller and up the gain of the track 2db and uploaded the new version. Thanks!

J&B

J&B YouTube Sampler
J&B Website

#311282 - 09/22/15 09:42 AM [User Showcase] Re: Trouble In Mind [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: South Africa
JoanneCooper Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Africa
This is quite exquisite Bud and Janice. What else to say?

#311285 - 09/22/15 09:54 AM [User Showcase] Re: Trouble In Mind [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
Pat Marr Offline
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
The acapella intro really highlights the quality of Janice's voice!

... clear as a mountain stream's water

... sweet as a clover field's honey

... pitch perfect as um.. as perfect as Janice's voice! (that's the best example I can come up with for perfection!)

Apologies if all my comments sound the same for your songs, but I have a limited vocabulary in terms of superlatives. I use my whole stash on every song!

Bud, I hope you already know how highly I esteem the many talents you bring to all of your projects! Your skill in mixing, RT choices, song research, lyric writing etc etc have been proven over and over again!

Congratulations to both of you on yet another piece of well-produced ear candy!

#311326 - 09/22/15 04:16 PM [User Showcase] Re: Trouble In Mind [Re: Janice & Bud]
gruverider Offline
Expert

Welcome to N'awlins! Janice your voice really rocks this style and Bud another great production.

A wonderful listen on a September afternoon!

#311327 - 09/22/15 04:18 PM [User Showcase] Re: Trouble In Mind [Re: PeterF]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: PeterF

Thanks Peter and I appreciate you mentioning the piano. I spent a fair amount of time trying to get the rhythm and solo RT's working well together.

J&B

Edited by Janice & Bud (09/22/15 04:18 PM)

J&B YouTube Sampler
J&B Website

#311331 - 09/22/15 04:40 PM [User Showcase] Re: Trouble In Mind [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Murgon Queensland Australia
Rob4580 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Murgon Queensland Australia
You guys must have a factory. You just keep knocking these great song out.
Excellent of course.
Rob

#311355 - 09/22/15 07:28 PM [User Showcase] Re: Trouble In Mind [Re: Janice & Bud]
Charlie Fogle Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud

Thanks Peter and I appreciate you mentioning the piano. I spent a fair amount of time trying to get the rhythm and solo RT's working well together.

J&B

I knew coming out the gate I couldn't afford THAT piano player! Bass players are plentiful but when you find that special pianist, you know there's also a special price to get em..... I'm too old to help lugging a piano around anyway.

#311357 - 09/22/15 08:10 PM [User Showcase] Re: Trouble In Mind [Re: Janice & Bud]
gibson Offline
Veteran

No need to wish that at all! We are always open to mix comments. I backed off on the breath controller and up the gain of the track 2db and uploaded the new version. Thanks!

J&B

Don't thank me, I thank both of you for that song, which is my anthem now! I play it every morning as I have linked to that soundcloud page!

Anyway I'm gonna rock away from this thread!!
Well after one more listen blush grin

Alyn

#311370 - 09/23/15 02:31 AM [User Showcase] Re: Trouble In Mind [Re: Charlie Fogle]
PeterF Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: c_fogle

J&B

I knew coming out the gate I couldn't afford THAT piano player! Bass players are plentiful but when you find that special pianist, you know there's also a special price to get em..... I'm too old to help lugging a piano around anyway.

Well my backs not up to it either trying to keep the arthritis at bay

#311380 - 09/23/15 07:13 AM [User Showcase] Re: Trouble In Mind [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
Man! I could listen to that opening over and over and over!

In fact, I did. Heaven.

I cannot imagine a better treatment for this song. Nice work, Bud - truly. You need to get a YouTube video out there, so that when people search for this song by others, they find yours, too. It ought to become the standard for "how to do this one".

floyd

#311395 - 09/23/15 09:16 AM [User Showcase] Re: Trouble In Mind [Re: boehm]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: boehm
Hi Janice & Bud,

great band and great singer!
An excellent production.
Very enjoyable listen.

Guenter

Thanks Guenter. We always look forward to your comments.

J&B

J&B YouTube Sampler
J&B Website

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® Drum Features!

Today is National Drummer Day!
(not to be confused with National Hug a Drummer Day, which is October 10th)

Band-in-a-Box® is a great resource for drummers! Practice with an on-demand back-up band, learn from the Pro's with RealDrums notation (RealCharts, new with version 2019), MIDI drums notation, or play in the Drum Kit Window!

Not a drummer? Add drums to your Band-in-a-Box® project with RealDrums! Whether you're looking for Bluegrass, Blues, Bossa, Country, Dance, Dixieland, Folk, Funk, HipHop, Jazz, Latin, Metal, Pop, RnB, Rock, Soul, Techno, Traditional, Waltz, or World (and variations within) - you'll definitely find what you're looking for in our RealDrums library - there are over 500 available!

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac Build 315 Update Available!

Attention Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac users - a new FREE patch update (build 315) is available!
Review details and download here

Summary of changes for build 315 (Nov 15, 2019):

Fixed: Exporting MusicXML files was not working.
Fixed: When using "Auto-Hand split Piano track" feature, exported MIDI files contain wrong note durations on the Piano track.
Fixed: Note-based lyrics were not included when exporting MIDI files.
Fixed: User should be prompted to save their song when exiting, if they had added or removed plugins.
Fixed: The Record Audio dialog always says “Track type is Stereo” even if the track type is mono.
Fixed: The [Audio Options…] button in the Record Audio dialog was launching the Audio Devices dialog instead of the Audio Settings dialog.
Fixed: Loops dialog title bar displays wrong track name.
Fixed: Large patch map files are not completely loaded (were limited to 1985 patches).
Fixed: Notation context menu > Edit Section Text… did not do anything.
Fixed: Notation context menu > Insert Section Text… did not do anything.

My Favorite Things - Nudge Chords in Band-in-a-Box®

Love this time saving feature.

Ever fill in the chordsheet fully or for part of song, and then discover you want to add or take away an extra beat or more somewhere in the chordsheet.

Nudge chords (melody) from the Edit Menu is your friend here, the dialog will give you all the options either to remove or add beats where its needed.

Love it.
-musiclover

To learn more about this feature, read the "Advanced Chord Entry and Editing Features" topic when you click here.

Band-in-a-Box® Video Testimonial & Demo - Rodney Gene Junior

Band-in-a-Box® endorsing artist Rodney Gene Junior has shared his latest User Testimonial and Demo with us, and we LOVE it! Not only does Rodney share with the viewer his enthusiasm for our program, he also shares a few examples of how he uses Band-in-a-Box® too - make sure you check it out!

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Testimonial Video - Peter Torpey

Check out our latest Band-in-a-Box video testimonial, which takes using the program to a whole new level! Peter Torpey is a long time program user who has developed a way to work with the program, even though he's visually impaired - and he wants to make sure that others can too!
Click here to watch!

Learn more about Peter here.

View all our video testimonials here.

Want to make your own Testimonial? We'd love to see it! There's information on our Video Testimonials offer here.

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac Upgrade & Full Manuals Available!
Happy National Saxophone Day!

Today's the day we say "Happy Birthday" to Adolphe Sax, the creator of the Saxophone!
(Adolphe was born November 6, 1814 - 32 years later he patended his saxophone creation!)

We have 35 different RealTracks Sets available for Band-in-a-Box® that include Saxophone RealTracks !

RealTracks Set 304: Blues Shuffle Horn Section
RealTracks Set 294: Big Band "Crooner Shout" Soloist!
RealTracks Set 266: Jazz & Funk Potpourri
RealTracks Set 265: Crooner Ballad Big Band!
RealTracks Set 264: Crooner Bossa Big Band!
RealTracks Set 244: Jazz Background Horns with Jack Stafford
RealTracks Set 236: Cocktail Jazz Horns!
RealTracks Set 220: Flute and Saxes with Jack Stafford
RealTracks Set 217: Jazz Pollwinners 8 – Jazz Waltz Sax Solos
RealTracks Set 216: Jazz Pollwinners 7 – Swingin' Sax & Guitar Soloing
RealTracks Set 215: Jazz Pollwinners 6 – Sax & Guitar Soloing, Ballads & Bossas
RealTracks Set 209: Rockin' Blues Baritone Sax with Gary Smulyan
RealTracks Set 207: Funky Horns
RealTracks Set 194: Jazz Pollwinners 1: Great Saxes: Phil Woods & Gary
RealTracks Set 189: Blues Baritone Sax with Gary Smulyan
RealTracks Set 188: Slow Background Pop Horn Section
RealTracks Set 183: Country Soloists: Sax and More!
RealTracks Set 176: R&B Horns
RealTracks Set 175: Texas Blues-Rock: Smokin' Blues Sax
RealTracks Set 160: Jazz-Funk Movin'
RealTracks Set 145: Jazz-Funk Breezy
RealTracks Set 127: Groovin' Jazz Funk
RealTracks Set 91: Smooth Jazz - Sax Soloing
RealTracks Set 58: Jazz and Pop Waltzes
RealTracks Set 57: Jazz Swing, Laid Back
RealTracks Set 55: Fast Bebop Jazz
RealTracks Set 54: Slow Jazz Ballad
RealTracks Set 52: Fast Samba
RealTracks Set 51: Slow Bossas and More