Index
#314894 - 10/18/15 06:32 AM [User Showcase] A Certain Woman's Heart
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Unrequited love.

The Band:

Style is _FPBNTBA.STY (Pop Ballad 2FingerpkGuits [85RS])

RealTracks in style: ~701:Bass, Electric, PopHalfNotesSync Ev 085
RealTracks in style: 1728:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm PopBalladJohn Ev 085
RealTracks in style: ~365:Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking Ev 085
RealTracks in song: ~2200:Guitar, Nylon, Background CountryBrent Ev 085
RealTracks in song: 378:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming DoubleTime Ev 088
MIDI SuperTracks in song: 2058:Strings, Rhythm CelticAir Ev 085

RealDrums in Song: NashvilleBrushesCountryPopEv16: a: Sidestick, Brushes b: Brushes
RealDrums in Song: BossaBrushesPerc^1-a:Congas, No Kit , b:Congas, Shaker, Triangle, No Kit

A CERTAIN WOMAN'S HEART

i've walked my way across mexico
safaried the african plains
sailed the mediterranean
seen most of hemingway's spain
i've got the money i need, the life that i want
a ticket, a pack, a chart
the only thing that escapes me
a certain woman's heart

a certain woman's heart
   shouldn't be so hard to win
   others have fallen
   time and again
   it can drive a man crazy
   tear him apart
   when his happiness is hanging
   by a certain woman's heart

i've made love to women around the world
danced with as many more
i know i'm not the only man
leaving flowers at her door
caught between a "yes" and "no"
where do you start
what i wouldn't give to have
a certain woman's heart

a certain woman's heart
   shouldn't be so hard to win
   others have fallen
   time and again
   it can drive a man crazy
   tear him apart
   when his happiness is hanging
   by a certain woman's heart

Comments encouraged.
Have at it.

floyd

#314904 - 10/18/15 08:10 AM [User Showcase] Re: A Certain Woman's Heart [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
boehm Offline
Veteran

Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
Hi Floyd,

a typical homogeneous, flawless, completely rounded Floyd song.
Very beautiful. I'm still enjoying my nth listen.

Guenter

#314909 - 10/18/15 08:23 AM [User Showcase] Re: A Certain Woman's Heart [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: York, England
ROG Offline
Veteran

Loc: York, England
Hi Floyd.

Any part of this that's auto-biographical, then?

Been missing from the forum for a while and forgotten just how professional you can be.

Great storyline, all wrapped up in a super backing with a heart-felt vocal delivery. What's not to like?

ROG.

#314912 - 10/18/15 08:37 AM [User Showcase] Re: A Certain Woman's Heart [Re: floyd jane]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

Nice song... but that bass line bugs me. Doesn't seem to flow quite right in a few spots.

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music

#314922 - 10/18/15 09:27 AM [User Showcase] Re: A Certain Woman's Heart [Re: boehm]
Loc: Hamlin NY
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
Originally Posted By: boehm
Hi Floyd,

Guenter

A BIG +1

If I heard this at a record/CD shop I would have bought it right then.

You are a pro all the way.

64 bit Win 10 Pro - the latest BiaB and RB - Roland Octa-Capture audio interface - a ton of software and some hardware.

#314941 - 10/18/15 11:25 AM [User Showcase] Re: A Certain Woman's Heart [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Middletown, PA.
44kfl Offline
Veteran

Loc: Middletown, PA.
Beautiful write, super harmonies, love the hook line. Of what I've heard of yours this sounds a little different, probably the percussion choice, very nice. This flows so smoothly, great choice of instruments. "Seen most of Hemingway's Spain" love that line. I like it a lot!

Kenny

Edited by 44kfl (10/18/15 11:27 AM)

#314963 - 10/18/15 01:24 PM [User Showcase] Re: A Certain Woman's Heart [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Murgon Queensland Australia
Rob4580 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Murgon Queensland Australia
Hey Floyd. You just keep excelling yourself with each song.
Thanks for listing buddy. Rob

#314970 - 10/18/15 01:48 PM [User Showcase] Re: A Certain Woman's Heart [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: South Carolina
Charlie Fogle Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Carolina
This one sits nicely in the Floyd Jane signature hit template. No two are ever alike but each song has a unique something that immediately marks it a Floyd Jane production.

You give us something comfortable to hang on to even when we journey with you into uncomfortable subjects. That is a particularly good talent to have and easily keeps you in the top 1% of lyricists and storytellers here on the forum.

Enjoyed this one a lot.

Charlie

#314992 - 10/18/15 04:21 PM [User Showcase] Re: A Certain Woman's Heart [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: The Netherlands
RnAM Offline
Veteran

Loc: The Netherlands
Hi Floyd,

Yes, another cool ballad with that typical Floyd signature.
Professional arrangement, very good choice of RTs, and of course beautiful vocal and backing vocals (TC Helicon?)

Rob and Anne-Marie

PS in our opinion nothing wrong with the bass smile

RnAM Homepage (completely restyled)
YouTube Channel

#315021 - 10/18/15 10:57 PM [User Showcase] Re: A Certain Woman's Heart [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: New Zealand
RichMac Offline
Expert

Loc: New Zealand
Very nice Floyd. Sounds a touch Jimmy Buffet to me. Smooth. Cheers.

#315031 - 10/19/15 12:52 AM [User Showcase] Re: A Certain Woman's Heart [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: wales
gibson Offline
Veteran

Loc: wales
floyd
Quote:
i've walked my way across mexico
safaried the african plains
sailed the mediterranean
seen most of hemingway's spain

What a set of lyrics to start a song!
This is up to your normal professional standard with beautiful singing and an excellent production.

to paraphrase your closing remark
Keep at it laugh

Alyn

#315040 - 10/19/15 05:27 AM [User Showcase] Re: A Certain Woman's Heart [Re: ROG]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Hi Floyd,

Guenter

Guenter - thanks for that very nice review....

Originally Posted By: ROG
Hi Floyd.

Any part of this that's auto-biographical, then?

Been missing from the forum for a while and forgotten just how professional you can be.

Great storyline, all wrapped up in a super backing with a heart-felt vocal delivery. What's not to like?

ROG.

Thanks, ROG - nice to see ya around...

This is written about a guy that we backpacked with - around the Yucatan Peninsula - in 1981... And the woman who was "over him". The 4 of us slept on the beach in Tulum for 4 days (over New Years) - before there was ANYTHING there One of the best 2 weeks ever. After we got home, they split up...

Tulum is now 9 miles of resorts - we went back there last year for a vacation (luxury this time). That was a good week, too...

#315058 - 10/19/15 06:26 AM [User Showcase] Re: A Certain Woman's Heart [Re: floyd jane]
tommyad Offline
Veteran

floyd, That beach under the Ruins in Tulum is one of the prettiest places I've ever seen. I have been there several times. This is another gorgeous production and write. There is great melancholy and beauty in this song. I had to listen many times to the fourth chord in the intro. There is a clash with the bass and guitar that at first sounded quite odd, but I have grown to like it as it sets a tension up to dive into the 1 chord for the beginning of the 1st verse. I don't hear that one off note when that bar is repeated during the verse as the guitar plays the chord in a different position. I know this is being really picky. I know you are a perfectionist and I'll bet this didn't go unnoticed. So did you also grow to like way the intro hung on that clashing chord before it resolved? I hope these comments don't detract from the fact that I really love the song and am going back for more. All these words about one little chord choice. What the hell is wrong with me? Another Great Song! Tom

#315066 - 10/19/15 07:04 AM [User Showcase] Re: A Certain Woman's Heart [Re: floyd jane]
90 dB Offline
Veteran

Another fj keeper! A departure from your usual, but a nice one.

Regards,

Bob

#315078 - 10/19/15 09:06 AM [User Showcase] Re: A Certain Woman's Heart [Re: tommyad]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Nice song... but that bass line bugs me. Doesn't seem to flow quite right in a few spots.

Originally Posted By: tommyad
floyd, That beach under the Ruins in Tulum is one of the prettiest places I've ever seen. I have been there several times. This is another gorgeous production and write. There is great melancholy and beauty in this song. I had to listen many times to the fourth chord in the intro. There is a clash with the bass and guitar that at first sounded quite odd, but I have grown to like it as it sets a tension up to dive into the 1 chord for the beginning of the 1st verse. I don't hear that one off note when that bar is repeated during the verse as the guitar plays the chord in a different position. I know this is being really picky. I know you are a perfectionist and I'll bet this didn't go unnoticed. So did you also grow to like way the intro hung on that clashing chord before it resolved? I hope these comments don't detract from the fact that I really love the song and am going back for more. All these words about one little chord choice. What the hell is wrong with me? Another Great Song! Tom

I assume you are both talking about the same thing.

Tom, you defined it exactly. It is a clash between the bass and fingerpick guitar. The sequence of chords is:

E E/D# C#m7 C#m7/B (then to A)

I wanted the bass walkdown all the way. The problem is that fingerpick guitars will not play that C#m7/B (they don't play the B bass)... So it clashes with the bass - which is playing the B...

I had listened long enough (generally keying on the bass) that I got used to it.

I have changed the bass line to not play that B.

#315080 - 10/19/15 09:15 AM [User Showcase] Re: A Certain Woman's Heart [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Chattanooga, TN
SRP Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Chattanooga, TN
I like the smoothness of your vocals and the band put me in the right mood for this song. Very enjoyable.
Sonny

#315110 - 10/19/15 02:55 PM [User Showcase] Re: A Certain Woman's Heart [Re: floyd jane]
Elliott Kayne Offline
Apprentice

Nice lyric, great mix, good song, good vocals, nice use of real tracks. Great Work!

http://www.KayneMusic.com
My Posts:
http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=userposts&id=12285
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/ekayne

#315123 - 10/19/15 05:16 PM [User Showcase] Re: A Certain Woman's Heart [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Davis, CA
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Loc: Davis, CA
One of my favorites ever from one of my favorites ever!! Beautifully done. I love songs that are reflective and poetic. This one hangs in there with the greats of Jimmy Webb, Floyd. It is just a pleasure to listen to. From an art of songwriting perspective, this is a wonderful lesson. It is crafted by a fine artisan with each word and note placed with tenderness and care. Absolutely love it!! Take care. Greg

#315155 - 10/20/15 04:28 AM [User Showcase] Re: A Certain Woman's Heart [Re: floyd jane]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: floyd jane

I assume you are both talking about the same thing.

Tom, you defined it exactly. It is a clash between the bass and fingerpick guitar. The sequence of chords is:

E E/D# C#m7 C#m7/B (then to A)

I wanted the bass walkdown all the way. The problem is that fingerpick guitars will not play that C#m7/B (they don't play the B bass)... So it clashes with the bass - which is playing the B...

I had listened long enough (generally keying on the bass) that I got used to it.

I have changed the bass line to not play that B.

Yes, the assumption was correct. After the fix, it does flow better. I've run into a few times where I had 2 tracks that sounded perfectly fine by themselves. Put them into a mix and there was a conflict that sounded like a mistake was made in the tracks somewhere. Tracking those kinds of glitches down are the proverbial needle in the haystack kind of search at times. Generally muting one of them fixes it but when it's a bass or other major part, the only solution is to re-do the part correctly.

Good job on the song BTW.

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music

#315160 - 10/20/15 05:08 AM [User Showcase] Re: A Certain Woman's Heart [Re: 44kfl]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: MarioD
Hi Floyd,

Guenter

A BIG +1

If I heard this at a record/CD shop I would have bought it right then.

You are a pro all the way.

Thanks, Mario - you are always so kind....

Originally Posted By: 44kfl
Beautiful write, super harmonies, love the hook line. Of what I've heard of yours this sounds a little different, probably the percussion choice, very nice. This flows so smoothly, great choice of instruments. "Seen most of Hemingway's Spain" love that line. I like it a lot!

Kenny

Thanks, Kenny. Appreciate all that.

I'm surprised that there has not been more mention of the percussion. The BossaBrushesPerc works nicely with other drum kits (the more subtle ones, at least) - so it's a good way to add some extra flavor to a production. James Taylor productions do that on occasion. The nylon guitar is a super track, too - which works in many different scenarios...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
National Jukebox Day - Celebrate with Band-in-a-Box®!

Happy National Jukebox Day!

To celebrate, you could purchase a Jukebox... OR just access the Jukebox feature in Band-in-a-Box®!

What does the Band-in-a-Box® Jukebox do?

Using the directory you choose, the Band-in-a-Box® Jukebox will provide you with background music by continuously play the entire list of Band-in-a-Box® SGU files within that folder! There are many options for you to customize your Jukebox experience, including: Only Play song with melodies, Change Melody Instrument, Random order Playback, Audible Count-in, and more! Plus, the Jukebox will continue to play while you use other programs, providing your favorite music for continued background listening pleasure!

To learn more about the Jukebox feature in Band-in-a-Box®, check out Chapter 5 of our online manual, here. Mac too!

Notation Enhancements in Band-in-a-Box® 2019

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows was released in December 2018, and included many new features and enhancements - like the enhancements we made to our Notation window!

These include:
-Pressing the space bar plays the song from the current location.
-Double-clicking on the Standard mode Notation window (or on the time line in Editable or Staff Roll mode) plays the song from the current time location.
-The right-click menu in the Editable or Staff Roll mode Notation window has an option to change the current beat resolution. Previously, the only way to do this was to right-click on the time line.
-Clicking close to a stave line will put a note on the stave line instead of between stave lines. Previously, you had to click extremely close to a stave line to insert a note on it.
-In the Notation Windows Options dialog, the clefs split point asterisk indicates that C5* is middle C.
-The clefs split point can be set by the spin controls.
-You can quickly enter forced accidentals from the right-click menu.
-A new track type (Drums) is available for the Melody and Soloist tracks.
-Holding down the Ctrl key and pressing the zoom in/out buttons results in finest possible incremental adjustment in size.
-There's a keystroke entry mode -the "N" mode, which lets you enter a melody entirely using keystrokes. The keystrokes are N to enter a note, up/down cursor to change its pitch, and left/right cursor to move the time line.
-A new button in the Print Options dialog lets you quickly print a "chords only" fake sheet. You can also access this from the right-click menu on the Chord Sheet.
-You can now edit any track in the Event List Editor. When the dialog opens, it will show you the MIDI data in the current notation track.

There's detailed information on our 2019 notation enhancements here: Band-in-a-Box® 2019 New Feature - Notation Enhancements

Jump to the Notation topic in our Band-in-a-Box® 2019 new features video.

Band-in-a-Box® Drum Features!

Today is National Drummer Day!
(not to be confused with National Hug a Drummer Day, which is October 10th)

Band-in-a-Box® is a great resource for drummers! Practice with an on-demand back-up band, learn from the Pro's with RealDrums notation (RealCharts, new with version 2019), MIDI drums notation, or play in the Drum Kit Window!

Not a drummer? Add drums to your Band-in-a-Box® project with RealDrums! Whether you're looking for Bluegrass, Blues, Bossa, Country, Dance, Dixieland, Folk, Funk, HipHop, Jazz, Latin, Metal, Pop, RnB, Rock, Soul, Techno, Traditional, Waltz, or World (and variations within) - you'll definitely find what you're looking for in our RealDrums library - there are over 500 available!

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac Build 315 Update Available!

Attention Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac users - a new FREE patch update (build 315) is available!
Review details and download here

Summary of changes for build 315 (Nov 15, 2019):

Fixed: Exporting MusicXML files was not working.
Fixed: When using "Auto-Hand split Piano track" feature, exported MIDI files contain wrong note durations on the Piano track.
Fixed: Note-based lyrics were not included when exporting MIDI files.
Fixed: User should be prompted to save their song when exiting, if they had added or removed plugins.
Fixed: The Record Audio dialog always says “Track type is Stereo” even if the track type is mono.
Fixed: The [Audio Options…] button in the Record Audio dialog was launching the Audio Devices dialog instead of the Audio Settings dialog.
Fixed: Loops dialog title bar displays wrong track name.
Fixed: Large patch map files are not completely loaded (were limited to 1985 patches).
Fixed: Notation context menu > Edit Section Text… did not do anything.
Fixed: Notation context menu > Insert Section Text… did not do anything.

My Favorite Things - Nudge Chords in Band-in-a-Box®

Love this time saving feature.

Ever fill in the chordsheet fully or for part of song, and then discover you want to add or take away an extra beat or more somewhere in the chordsheet.

Nudge chords (melody) from the Edit Menu is your friend here, the dialog will give you all the options either to remove or add beats where its needed.

Love it.
-musiclover

To learn more about this feature, read the "Advanced Chord Entry and Editing Features" topic when you click here.

Band-in-a-Box® Video Testimonial & Demo - Rodney Gene Junior

Band-in-a-Box® endorsing artist Rodney Gene Junior has shared his latest User Testimonial and Demo with us, and we LOVE it! Not only does Rodney share with the viewer his enthusiasm for our program, he also shares a few examples of how he uses Band-in-a-Box® too - make sure you check it out!

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Testimonial Video - Peter Torpey

Check out our latest Band-in-a-Box video testimonial, which takes using the program to a whole new level! Peter Torpey is a long time program user who has developed a way to work with the program, even though he's visually impaired - and he wants to make sure that others can too!
Click here to watch!

Learn more about Peter here.

View all our video testimonials here.

Want to make your own Testimonial? We'd love to see it! There's information on our Video Testimonials offer here.

Forum Stats
30439 Members
62 Forums
60713 Topics
513813 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
Ddd Vvv, Townze, LiedermacherA, hindifaq10896, Andyrousselle

30439 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
VideoTrack 202
Matt Finley 167