Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#316423 10/31/15 02:49 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I've been in prisons twice.

The first time was the State Correctional Institution at Rockview (Pennsylvania).
Our summer baseball league (high school age) was invited to play an exhibition for the inmates.
I have two distinct memories from that day.
1 - Our pitcher had walked two in a row and one of the inmates yelled "Stick a fork in him! He's done!"
It was the first time I had heard that expression. I thought he meant it.
2 - We had lunch with the prisoners.
It was the worst meal I've ever had in my life - to this day.

My 2nd time was the Hillsborough Juvenile Detention Center (Tampa, FL).
1977. I was doing solo gigs in bars at the time and was asked by a women's group to come entertain at the Center for their semi-annual visit there.
It was a good night - the guys there were very appreciative and we had fun.
They loved singing along to "The Lion Sleeps Tonight"....and "Runaway"...
But the thing I remember most about that night was when a guard walked through about halfway through the show.
The place got so quiet you could have heard the proverbial pin drop.
The change was dramatic. And a bit frightening.

This song is about that night.

EYES

they don't call this a prison
because we're so young
we're not inmates, we're sheep that have strayed
they dress us alike
we wear the same shoes
they feed us three meals a day

the guard has eyes
   the warden has eyes
   the stone walls and steel bars have eyes
   the devil tracks your every move
   the man in the moon and the stars see, too
   the man in the moon and the stars

the firemen's wives auxillary
come twice a year to call
they're scared, we know it
they try not to show it
why, we're still just boys after all

the guard has eyes
   the warden has eyes

the night guard walks through
like a thundering god
between steps you hear your cigarette burn
we wait in the dark
for nothing at all
but another day taking its turn

the guard has eyes
   the warden has eyes

The BAND:
RealTracks in song: ~518:Bass, Electric, Pop HalfNotes Ev 085
RealTracks in song: 378:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming DoubleTime Ev 088
RealTracks in song: 836:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm AltCountryRootsy Ev 075 (A:muted)
RealTracks in song: 793:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming ModernCountrySync Ev 100
RealTracks in song: 1167:Guitar, Electric, Soloist RockBalladBrent Ev 065
RealDrums in Song: NashvilleEven8^1-a:Sidestick, HiHat , b:Snare, Ride

As always, I hope you enjoy it.
Fire away.

floyd

floyd jane #316427 10/31/15 02:57 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Wow Floyd, you just keep getting better. What fantastic lyrics, together with a haunting melody.

I was really taken by the line 'the man in the moon and the stars see, too'
and also
'we wait in the dark
for nothing at all
but another day taking its turn'

The slow build worked incredibly well, this is a real winner.

Knockout guitar work. Thanks for this one. It's great.
Trev

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
floyd jane #316431 10/31/15 03:15 AM
User Showcase
SRP Offline
Journeyman
Journeyman
Floyd I really like your voice on this song...it fits perfect! The band that you chose is excellent and you really created the mood. The words that you wrote give true meaning to what it is like when isolated from the world with only preying eyes for company. I too have been to prison on four different occasions (to perform only) and until you have been there you can only imagine what it would be like to be inside behind bars. By the way, I was living in Tampa in '77.
Sonny

Last edited by SRP; 10/31/15 05:41 AM.
floyd jane #316433 10/31/15 03:16 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
floyd,

Quote:
I thought bloody hell! then I read the rest and life returned to normal.

The solo fits REALLY well and I like the RT 836, perfect for the song.
Was it really that long 'cos it passed so quickly? So on my 3rd listen

Vocals, production etc are perfect but the lyrics are incredibly thought provoking, really intense and paint a dark picture.

I visited some-one in a high security prison in Oxfordshire UK years back and this song brought that memory back. The barriers, the thorough search, including my mouth, and the looks from both sides, the wardens and the inmates checking me out. Scary stuff.
Then I met the inmate, a cousin of the then girlfriend who had got caught up in the heat of a pro-life demo and had firebombed a scientist, but he had no regrets.
She soon became my ex-girlfriend.
Not my life, no way.

This song says it all,

Well done, floyd, well done

Alyn

floyd jane #316435 10/31/15 03:23 AM
User Showcase
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Well that was a fun listen of a haunting subject here on Halloween Day...

You have taken an interesting view different from the normal isolation, jail break themes we expect from a song about prison.

You call it EYES but it's really FEAR. That becomes obvious when the guard enters the room and the room is blanketed by silence.

Unusual, but high impact. This song would work really well with a video to visually drive the 'implied' fear into the viewer.

A great video/audio to be shown in schools across our nation.

It's a good write, mix and production. This song fit your vocals really well - your prison visit seems to have left a lasting impression....

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
floyd jane #316438 10/31/15 04:38 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
floyd, I kinda figured you've been in prison from the way you just keep killin it. There oughta be a law. No law abiding songwriter can keep coming up with gems like this unless they are hanging around with jewel thieves. In fact maybe you'd better save room for me as I may end up your cellmate for continuing to steal your great production techniques. The difference between a guy writing songs and an extraordinary songwriter such as yourself is captured in this line "between steps you hear your cigarette burn". That's not just quiet that is a deathly silence. Brilliant! Needless to say the build, the voice, the production are all top of the game caliber. Another phenomenal piece of writing and performance. Tom

floyd jane #316441 10/31/15 04:43 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Floyd,

"I thought bloody hell! then I read the rest and life returned to normal."
I exactly felt the way Alyn describes.
Perfect lyrics, vocals, harmonies, arrangement and mix.
I can't say I enjoyed my listen, it haunted me. And the lead perfectly fit this mood.
Another masterpiece.

Guenter

floyd jane #316465 10/31/15 09:56 AM
User Showcase
G
Veteran
Veteran
G
Really interesting write Floyd!! The lyrics are wonderfully effective. Never been to a prison and hope to never go (in any capacity). You did a great job telling the story. I think the arrangement was perfect for the subject matter. And the mix and vocal were spotless as usual. Very cool!! Take care. Greg

SRP #316472 10/31/15 10:45 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Wow Floyd, you just keep getting better. What fantastic lyrics, together with a haunting melody.

I was really taken by the line 'the man in the moon and the stars see, too'
and also
'we wait in the dark
for nothing at all
but another day taking its turn'

The slow build worked incredibly well, this is a real winner.

Knockout guitar work. Thanks for this one. It's great.
Trev

Trevor - I always appreciate when you drop by for a listen. Thanks for the nice review. Those are a few of my favorite lines, too...

SRP #316473 10/31/15 10:58 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: SRP
Floyd I really like your voice on this song...it fits perfect! The band that you chose is excellent and you really created the mood. The words that you wrote give true meaning to what it is like when isolated from the world with only preying eyes for company. I too have been to prison on four different occasions (to perform only) and until you have been there you can only imagine what it would be like to be inside behind bars. By the way, I was living in Tampa in '77.
Sonny

Thanks for all that, Sonny. It is a sobering thing to be in a prison - for any reason...

How long were you in Tampa? I was at USF at the time. My main gigs were The Proud Lion Pub (on Fletcher?) - where I had a huge following because I was the only one around doing Jimmy Buffett then - and his fans found me... and Rough Riders in Ybor City (in the old cigar factory) - back when it was still considered "the bad side of town"...

floyd jane #316491 10/31/15 02:01 PM
User Showcase
ROG Offline
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Floyd.

Very interesting song and not at all what I was expecting.

Reading the lyrics before playing the track, I was expecting aggression to be the driving force behind it, but instead it turned out to be the sense of futility in prison life. At least, that's the over-riding impression with which I was left. Like I said, very interesting.

As usual, fully professional recording and performance.

ROG.

floyd jane #316498 10/31/15 02:44 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Hi Floyd,

Yes, your productions are getting better and better.
We are amazed how much the song is shouldered by just the Electric, Rhythm AltCountryRootsy RT. A very cool basis of the song!

Good lyrics on a not so every day subject.

Rob and Anne-Marie

We are Rob Meulman and Anne-Marie Bovenkamp from The Netherlands.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1gsdNLE7_Gy8qavoOplQow/videos
http://rnam.net/

floyd jane #316500 10/31/15 03:23 PM
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hi Floyd. A nice lonesome and desperate sound about this one.
Love the drama. Cheers.

floyd jane #316508 10/31/15 07:26 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Nice mix of instruments - and interaction with bass and guitars (liked the subtle bass drum entrance). Atmospheric lyrics that fit the style and of course well sung. Another excellent production.

floyd jane #316511 10/31/15 08:24 PM
User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Now that's a powerful song, the lyrics and music are fantastic, I like the rock distortion, but that's my rock roots. As usual a master of FJ.

Critter
floyd jane #316548 11/01/15 06:29 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Another winner from Floyd! How in hell do you do it? Song after song just gets better and better and your first song was already top notch!

I really like the lyrics and how you captured the pain and fear in your vocals as well as the dynamic build up.

Great story, great vocals and a great mix, what's not to like about this one!

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
floyd jane #316554 11/01/15 08:05 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Yet another departure; but in a good way. Well done.

Regards,

Bob

floyd jane #316572 11/01/15 01:20 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
holy smokes this good stuff well done thanks eric

AMD (TM) 5950 4.9 GHz 16Core Processor 64 bit 32 bits of ram windows 10 pro 64 bit os. sound card Antelope ZenQ guitars Ibanez 2202a 1968 les Paul Custom and Cavin ae 185 Guitar boss Gt-100,GT1000 pedal Yamaha HS8 studio monitors
floyd jane #316622 11/02/15 02:40 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I like this song. Good job on portraying the feeling that everything you do in prison is being watched. Because you're right. everything done and said is heard and seen by someone unless one is very very careful to conceal it.

I've been in a number of prisons. Like you, as a visitor. I worked for a time with the Christian Motorcyclist's Association on the music and prison ministry teams. We partnered with Bill Glass International ministries and would work their prison events with them. Going into a maximum security prison with our bikes was eerie. We got searched, and the bikes were searched, and then after the bikes were parked where they instructed.... generally on the basketball court, the keys were "collected" for "safe keeping". Behind two different twenty foot high fences topped with razor wire, and guard towers, and confined to the yard with the inmates is a strange thing. Of the inmates in the yard, most were happy for the diversion but that's all it was. A small group wanted to talk about bikes and reminisce about the bike they had had. then there were the inmates who were pissed that we had parked our bikes on the basketball court and they couldn't play ball that day. At one state max, they kept the gangs isolated. They never allowed the gangs to eat together or be in the yard together. And we ate with them.... and yeah, that wasn't good. In fact, I offered something on my plate to the guy across the table, and the guy next to me stopped me, and said... "You don't want to do that.... I know you're a visitor, but they don't let us swap food". Seems that's one of the black market currencies in the place.... The guards even tried to make all of us visitors set together until I explained to the captain that we really preferred to be with the inmates and not each other.... the captain relented and let us spread out. We certainly shook things up a bit from their normal way of doing things that day.

For a time, I was also volunteering in the music ministry for our church team on a regular basis.... every 3rd Wed nite at a minimum security women's prison. That was almost fun. Certainly more relaxed than the mens facilities I had been in in the past.

While US prisons are bad.... the one in the Bahamas for the kids was the worst. On a mission trip there, I was assigned to the boys juvenile facility with a bunch of naive American teenagers. Talk about rough. Boys from 7 up to 16 were all together. They started their prison stay in solitary. A small completely dark cell. Not big enough to stand up in or lay down. And they were there for a week or two. The guards carried a 2 foot section of 3/4" PVC pipe. It was not uncommon to hear stories from the kids about getting a severe beating from the guards for misbehavior and infractions of the rules.

Back here in the states, a buddy of mine is serving time right now. He was a drummer in a few of the bands I played in. Long story so I will spare you the details. He was in a minimum security facility and a guard and he had a disagreement over the accusation from another inmate, and long story short, he ended up being moved to a medium facility and time added.

Enough on that.... it's depressing.

Good song FLoyd

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Charlie Fogle #316638 11/02/15 04:16 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: gibson
floyd,

Quote:
I thought bloody hell! then I read the rest and life returned to normal.

The solo fits REALLY well and I like the RT 836, perfect for the song.
Was it really that long 'cos it passed so quickly? So on my 3rd listen

Vocals, production etc are perfect but the lyrics are incredibly thought provoking, really intense and paint a dark picture.

I visited some-one in a high security prison in Oxfordshire UK years back and this song brought that memory back. The barriers, the thorough search, including my mouth, and the looks from both sides, the wardens and the inmates checking me out. Scary stuff.
Then I met the inmate, a cousin of the then girlfriend who had got caught up in the heat of a pro-life demo and had firebombed a scientist, but he had no regrets.
She soon became my ex-girlfriend.
Not my life, no way.

This song says it all,

Well done, floyd, well done

Alyn

tee-hee smile figured that was a good way to pull ya in! Some memories are incredibly vivid... thanks for the listen and the nice comments..

Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
Well that was a fun listen of a haunting subject here on Halloween Day...

You have taken an interesting view different from the normal isolation, jail break themes we expect from a song about prison.

You call it EYES but it's really FEAR. That becomes obvious when the guard enters the room and the room is blanketed by silence.

Unusual, but high impact. This song would work really well with a video to visually drive the 'implied' fear into the viewer.

A great video/audio to be shown in schools across our nation.

It's a good write, mix and production. This song fit your vocals really well - your prison visit seems to have left a lasting impression....

Thanks, Charlie. The world is a lot scarier place than it was back then... seems like we all see so much grit all the time now we become immune...

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,389
Posts732,448
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195