Options
Index
#319093 - 11/18/15 02:18 PM [User Showcase] Evil Chillun 2.0
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

There's Evil In You Chillun
BTW, for our international friends “chillun” is Deep South USA for children smile

Janice and I left our bluegrass band in 2003 and for nearly 10 years we rarely picked up our instruments or recorded. Since we had both retired in 1999 we had more things we were interested in than gigging (mountain biking, hiking and kayaking). But we continued to listen to music of many genres over the years. Three years ago I stumbled into BiaB after buying an iMac, noodling around with Garageband that came on it and getting interested in its recording capabilities. That (and some googling) lead me to PGMusic.

BiaB offered us a chance to ease back into making music and explore new genres. Our first posts here on the User Forum in 2012 were rehashes of our bluegrass writes. A public domain tune, Evil Chillun, was our first real venture away from bluegrass into another genre — Western Swing for that tune. And, the response it received (three years ago this month) on this forum was what put us on the Americana journey that we continue to travel.

I recently revisited the song and decided to reconstruct it with the original vocal track. Hopefully I’ve learned a bit more about the use of Biab, mixing and mastering over the last three years.

Evil Chillun is from the very early Western Swing tune period when a “sock rhythm” acoustic guitar and/or mandolin provided a lot of the upbeat on top of a minimalist drum kit. Also it was typical that the upcoming soloist would play pretty hot under the vocalist leading up to the solo. We tried to incorporate all of this.

So….here’s the new version. And many thanks to PGMusic and this great community for putting us on this three year adventure and for all of the support. Pardon the ramble and your time to listen is always appreciated!

Dedicated to the memory of our best friend and mentor RANDY HOWARD 12 time National Fiddle Champion and much, much more. He tore this stuff up. RIP.

J&B

Drums: Nashville 8th’s SW
Bass: RT 445
Guitar Rhythm: RT 1028
Mandolin Rhythm: RT 599
Mandolin Solo: RT 1862 (comped from multiple regens)
Fiddle Rhythm: RT 1296
Fiddle Solo: RT 1871 (comped from multiple regens)
Piano Rhythm: RT 1993
Piano Solo: RT 1865 (comped from multiple regens)

Effects/Mastering: Nectar 2 and Ozone 6

Vocal: Janice
Arrangement, mixing/mastering: Bud

There’s Evil In You Chillun
Creative Commons - Public Domain archive.org/details/SonsOfTheWest-11-20 (link no longer valid)

Edited by Andrew - PG Music (09/26/17 04:52 PM)

Check out our BiaB SoundCloud songs!
J&B YouTube Sampler
J&B Website
Our album "All Over The Map" is on Apple Music, Spotify and others.

#319097 - 11/18/15 03:17 PM [User Showcase] Re: Evil Chillun 2.0 [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: South Carolina
Charlie Fogle Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Carolina
Nice, nice, nice. I haven't heard your original version for comparison but no matter.

This is totally up to your normal standards in Janice vocals and Bud's arrangement, mixing and mastering.

Let's just say there's magic in you two chillun'!!!

Your mastery over the Biab technology far exceeds my recollection of my early years experimenting with modern technology. I can still recall my mother yelling to me out the back door -- "Charlie, get away from that wheelbarrow! You know you don't know nothin' bout machinery!"

#319099 - 11/18/15 03:34 PM [User Showcase] Re: Evil Chillun 2.0 [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Hamlin NY
MarioD Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
Loved it. A real toe taper.

Everything as usual is top shelf, super mix, great choice of RTs and of course Janice's super vocals.

If I had hear this is a record shop I would have bought it.

64 bit Win 10 Pro - the latest BiaB and RB - Roland Octa-Capture audio interface - a ton of software and some hardware.

#319100 - 11/18/15 03:37 PM [User Showcase] Re: Evil Chillun 2.0 [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: York, England
ROG Offline
Veteran

Loc: York, England
Hi there J&B.

Wonderful stuff.

Thanks for the background information - I'm always interested how the music is constructed for different genres.

Terrific backing with well chosen solos and the mix sounded great.

And, of course, I love to hear Janice sing. Brilliant.

ROG.

#319111 - 11/18/15 04:04 PM [User Showcase] Re: Evil Chillun 2.0 [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: The Netherlands
RnAM Offline
Veteran

Loc: The Netherlands
This is a cool cover! We also listened to the original version (which is also nice but sounds kind of crackling ;-)
Top-notch production as usual, well arranged and very well sung!

RnAM Homepage (completely restyled)
YouTube Channel

#319123 - 11/18/15 05:30 PM [User Showcase] Re: Evil Chillun 2.0 [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Scott C Offline
Veteran

Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Very cool song. Loved it.

#319128 - 11/18/15 05:45 PM [User Showcase] Re: Evil Chillun 2.0 [Re: Janice & Bud]
Sundance Offline
Veteran

As I was reading that I thought what a great testimonial for BIAB!

I'll steal RnAm's comment -

"Top-notch production as usual, well arranged and very well sung!"

Ditto.

#319139 - 11/18/15 06:41 PM [User Showcase] Re: Evil Chillun 2.0 [Re: MarioD]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
Nice, nice, nice. I haven't heard your original version for comparison but no matter.

This is totally up to your normal standards in Janice vocals and Bud's arrangement, mixing and mastering.

Let's just say there's magic in you two chillun'!!!

Your mastery over the Biab technology far exceeds my recollection of my early years experimenting with modern technology. I can still recall my mother yelling to me out the back door -- "Charlie, get away from that wheelbarrow! You know you don't know nothin' bout machinery!"

Charlie, you are too kind. My mantra with BiaB is "keep it simple stupid." I've learned my limits and, yep, they are influenced by my age and reticence to keep taking on more and more new digital products. I deeply admire the loops, and midi stuff and huge numbers of RT's that folks can arrange into masterful productions. I just don't think I could ever do that. I guess it's from years of playing in a 4 or 5 piece bluegrass band but I have to imagine that my productions are a small group and I'm looking at their backsides playing bass and also working the house/monitor system -- as I did for years, i.e., I have to approach this whole thing as though I'm mixing a live band. That scenario I understand and strive through BiaB to relive. Thanks again for the very nice comments!

Bud

Originally Posted By: MarioD
Loved it. A real toe taper.
Everything as usual is top shelf, super mix, great choice of RTs and of course Janice's super vocals.
If I had hear this is a record shop I would have bought it.

Thanks man, and you don't have to buy it...it's free!!! We appreciate you.

Bud

J&B YouTube Sampler
J&B Website

#319149 - 11/18/15 07:57 PM [User Showcase] Re: Evil Chillun 2.0 [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
VideoTrack Offline
Veteran

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Great arrangement, really nice southern style, and the fiddle fits in perfectly. Absolutely sensational vocal. The mandolin certainly wasn't out of place either.

I like the way you comped the solos too, great outcome.

Overall top class delivery, thanks!
BIAB&RB2019(Audiophile),Win-10Pro, SonarPlatinum, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, KorgX3R, RodeNGT2, AM802mixer, NS40M StudioMonitors, Pioneer Act. Mons, AKG K271 Studio H'phones

#319156 - 11/18/15 08:36 PM [User Showcase] Re: Evil Chillun 2.0 [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Chattanooga, TN
SRP Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Chattanooga, TN
J&B, I like simplicity as you can tell by my songs. KISS has always been my philosophy and what you guys do brings out the best in both of you. Good song, production, lyrics, vocals and BIAB choses. I enjoyed listening and thanks for sharing.
Sonny

#319169 - 11/18/15 10:19 PM [User Showcase] Re: Evil Chillun 2.0 [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Sydney Australia
PeterF Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sydney Australia
Janice & Bud.
Superb! You make it hard to comment I'd rather just listen.

#319200 - 11/19/15 05:26 AM [User Showcase] Re: Evil Chillun 2.0 [Re: ROG]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: ROG
Hi there J&B.

Wonderful stuff.

Thanks for the background information - I'm always interested how the music is constructed for different genres.

Terrific backing with well chosen solos and the mix sounded great.

And, of course, I love to hear Janice sing. Brilliant.

ROG.

Thanks ROG! Glad you liked it and thanks for taking the time to listen and offer these comments. They are much appreciated.

J&B

J&B YouTube Sampler
J&B Website

#319203 - 11/19/15 06:08 AM [User Showcase] Re: Evil Chillun 2.0 [Re: Janice & Bud]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

cool jukin song.

Nice quality fiddle, mando and piano sounds in the solos

regeneration is the secret to smoking hot solos

ever read the book... Children of the corn? Talk about evil chillin....

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music

#319207 - 11/19/15 07:43 AM [User Showcase] Re: Evil Chillun 2.0 [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
boehm Offline
Veteran

Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
Hi Janice & Bud,

I remember this was your first song posted. But I can't remember what it really sounded like. Your new version blooms with Janice's vocals and Bud's arrangement, mixing and mastering. I'm especially impressed by the great solos of the different instruments.
Very enjoyable listen.

Guenter

#319248 - 11/19/15 01:12 PM [User Showcase] Re: Evil Chillun 2.0 [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Davis, CA
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Loc: Davis, CA
Nice Jammin' tune!! Really well arranged (and of course sung-we would not expect any less). Solos worked perfectly. Another excellent contribution from the dynamic duo!! Take care. Greg

#319279 - 11/19/15 08:25 PM [User Showcase] Re: Evil Chillun 2.0 [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Alabama, USA
Al-David Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alabama, USA
Hi Janice & Bud,

Is this a cool song ... or what? I've always loved western Swing. Asleep At The Wheel is one of my favorite listens. Everything about this is superb. And Janice's voice sets perfectly in this great mix. What a treat ... thanks guys!

Alan

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

#319315 - 11/20/15 05:41 AM [User Showcase] Re: Evil Chillun 2.0 [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Florida
tommyad Offline
Veteran

J&B, As usual this has a fantastic arrangement , mix and vocal. As Herb said" regeneration is the secret to smoking hot solos" . This is how it's done. The solos sound great and of course they are the hallmark of any Western Swing type song. Your standards are very high and this one stands right up there. A Super Listen ! Tom

#319320 - 11/20/15 06:25 AM [User Showcase] Re: Evil Chillun 2.0 [Re: tommyad]
90 dB Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: tommyad
J&B, As usual this has a fantastic arrangement , mix and vocal. As Herb said" regeneration is the secret to smoking hot solos" . This is how it's done. The solos sound great and of course they are the hallmark of any Western Swing type song. Your standards are very high and this one stands right up there. A Super Listen ! Tom

J&B -

I'll echo the other third of I75 here. You chillun's be doin' it jes fine!

Regards,

Bob

Edited by 90 dB (11/20/15 06:36 AM)
Edit Reason: Perspicaciousness

#319469 - 11/21/15 11:18 AM [User Showcase] Re: Evil Chillun 2.0 [Re: Scott C]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: RnAM
This is a cool cover! We also listened to the original version (which is also nice but sounds kind of crackling ;-)
Top-notch production as usual, well arranged and very well sung!

Glad you liked it! We first heard it on an old compilation album of 78 transcripts...and, yep, it was crackling for sure.

Thanks for the comments.

J&B

Originally Posted By: Scottt709
Very cool song. Loved it.

Thanks Scott!

J&B

J&B YouTube Sampler
J&B Website

#319493 - 11/21/15 01:20 PM [User Showcase] Re: Evil Chillun 2.0 [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: New Zealand
RichMac Offline
Expert

Loc: New Zealand
Good lively fun and very well done. Don't know the song but the melody certainly feels familiar. Cheers.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® Drum Features!

Today is National Drummer Day!
(not to be confused with National Hug a Drummer Day, which is October 10th)

Band-in-a-Box® is a great resource for drummers! Practice with an on-demand back-up band, learn from the Pro's with RealDrums notation (RealCharts, new with version 2019), MIDI drums notation, or play in the Drum Kit Window!

Not a drummer? Add drums to your Band-in-a-Box® project with RealDrums! Whether you're looking for Bluegrass, Blues, Bossa, Country, Dance, Dixieland, Folk, Funk, HipHop, Jazz, Latin, Metal, Pop, RnB, Rock, Soul, Techno, Traditional, Waltz, or World (and variations within) - you'll definitely find what you're looking for in our RealDrums library - there are over 500 available!

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac Build 315 Update Available!

Attention Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac users - a new FREE patch update (build 315) is available!
Review details and download here

Summary of changes for build 315 (Nov 15, 2019):

Fixed: Exporting MusicXML files was not working.
Fixed: When using "Auto-Hand split Piano track" feature, exported MIDI files contain wrong note durations on the Piano track.
Fixed: Note-based lyrics were not included when exporting MIDI files.
Fixed: User should be prompted to save their song when exiting, if they had added or removed plugins.
Fixed: The Record Audio dialog always says “Track type is Stereo” even if the track type is mono.
Fixed: The [Audio Options…] button in the Record Audio dialog was launching the Audio Devices dialog instead of the Audio Settings dialog.
Fixed: Loops dialog title bar displays wrong track name.
Fixed: Large patch map files are not completely loaded (were limited to 1985 patches).
Fixed: Notation context menu > Edit Section Text… did not do anything.
Fixed: Notation context menu > Insert Section Text… did not do anything.

My Favorite Things - Nudge Chords in Band-in-a-Box®

Love this time saving feature.

Ever fill in the chordsheet fully or for part of song, and then discover you want to add or take away an extra beat or more somewhere in the chordsheet.

Nudge chords (melody) from the Edit Menu is your friend here, the dialog will give you all the options either to remove or add beats where its needed.

Love it.
-musiclover

To learn more about this feature, read the "Advanced Chord Entry and Editing Features" topic when you click here.

Band-in-a-Box® Video Testimonial & Demo - Rodney Gene Junior

Band-in-a-Box® endorsing artist Rodney Gene Junior has shared his latest User Testimonial and Demo with us, and we LOVE it! Not only does Rodney share with the viewer his enthusiasm for our program, he also shares a few examples of how he uses Band-in-a-Box® too - make sure you check it out!

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Testimonial Video - Peter Torpey

Check out our latest Band-in-a-Box video testimonial, which takes using the program to a whole new level! Peter Torpey is a long time program user who has developed a way to work with the program, even though he's visually impaired - and he wants to make sure that others can too!
Click here to watch!

Learn more about Peter here.

View all our video testimonials here.

Want to make your own Testimonial? We'd love to see it! There's information on our Video Testimonials offer here.

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac Upgrade & Full Manuals Available!
Happy National Saxophone Day!

Today's the day we say "Happy Birthday" to Adolphe Sax, the creator of the Saxophone!
(Adolphe was born November 6, 1814 - 32 years later he patended his saxophone creation!)

We have 35 different RealTracks Sets available for Band-in-a-Box® that include Saxophone RealTracks !

RealTracks Set 304: Blues Shuffle Horn Section
RealTracks Set 294: Big Band "Crooner Shout" Soloist!
RealTracks Set 266: Jazz & Funk Potpourri
RealTracks Set 265: Crooner Ballad Big Band!
RealTracks Set 264: Crooner Bossa Big Band!
RealTracks Set 244: Jazz Background Horns with Jack Stafford
RealTracks Set 236: Cocktail Jazz Horns!
RealTracks Set 220: Flute and Saxes with Jack Stafford
RealTracks Set 217: Jazz Pollwinners 8 – Jazz Waltz Sax Solos
RealTracks Set 216: Jazz Pollwinners 7 – Swingin' Sax & Guitar Soloing
RealTracks Set 215: Jazz Pollwinners 6 – Sax & Guitar Soloing, Ballads & Bossas
RealTracks Set 209: Rockin' Blues Baritone Sax with Gary Smulyan
RealTracks Set 207: Funky Horns
RealTracks Set 194: Jazz Pollwinners 1: Great Saxes: Phil Woods & Gary
RealTracks Set 189: Blues Baritone Sax with Gary Smulyan
RealTracks Set 188: Slow Background Pop Horn Section
RealTracks Set 183: Country Soloists: Sax and More!
RealTracks Set 176: R&B Horns
RealTracks Set 175: Texas Blues-Rock: Smokin' Blues Sax
RealTracks Set 160: Jazz-Funk Movin'
RealTracks Set 145: Jazz-Funk Breezy
RealTracks Set 127: Groovin' Jazz Funk
RealTracks Set 91: Smooth Jazz - Sax Soloing
RealTracks Set 58: Jazz and Pop Waltzes
RealTracks Set 57: Jazz Swing, Laid Back
RealTracks Set 55: Fast Bebop Jazz
RealTracks Set 54: Slow Jazz Ballad
RealTracks Set 52: Fast Samba
RealTracks Set 51: Slow Bossas and More