You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#322835 - 12/03/15 05:01 PM [User Showcase] Thundering New Age Surprise
Loc: OH - Ohio
DIOECHOOTO Offline
Apprentice

The "surprise" part is the distortion wah-wah guitar used in an otherwise New Age -style song!
Recorded and mixed in Reaper; portion recorded was the wah guitar, which is me flailing clumsily on a Fender Squire II Strat through a Korg AX1G

My process was to take each track and export as .wav (File> Export Song As Wav)
Load these wavs into Reaper, record the wah wah guitar, and mix.

****** Song Summary *************
Title: Slow New Age with Rain & Thunder Loop
File:THUNDER
Key=B minor (file says C, but this ain't right), Tempo 109, Length (m:s)=1:54

This style (=THUNDER.STY) uses the new Loops feature in Band-in-a-Box 2012. The style consists of our previously released "CALLING.STY" MIDI, along with the Thunder_Storm_2 loop, which plays the sound of rain with occasional thunder claps.

Here are the tracks I ended using in Reaper: Warm Pads, Choir Aahs, Orchestral String Hits, Pizzicato Strings, Storm Loop, Trombone, HiQ Bass Acoustic Upright N (SampleTank), Hi-Q Koto (Sample Tank), String Ensemble, Chamber Strings, RealDrums: SmoothJazzCoolSw16 , and 2 tracks of the wah guitar.

https://soundcloud.com/eric-ryser/thunder

Thundering New Age Surprise

Edited by DIOECHOOTO (12/04/15 03:43 AM)

#322837 - 12/03/15 05:13 PM [User Showcase] Re: Thundering New Age Surprise [Re: DIOECHOOTO]
DIOECHOOTO Offline
Apprentice

I think PG Music artists did a great job putting this style together, and was captivated by the melody sufficiently to want to leave it alone and let it do the talking. When listening to the tune after I felt like I was done with it, it occurred to me that many times, unfortunately, the sounds of thunder storms are accompanied by sirens, so that's what I'm now thinking the wah guitar may represent, if you like, even though I did not do that on purpose. The sound of sirens and the events they represent are of course unsettling and surprising (unless it's perhaps coming from the Isle of Anthemusa), not to mention the surprise of being attacked by distortion wah-wah git as you are minding your own business enjoying a relaxing little New Age tune... and thus the title. Enjoy!

Edited by DIOECHOOTO (12/04/15 03:46 AM)

#322897 - 12/04/15 04:08 AM [User Showcase] Re: Thundering New Age Surprise [Re: DIOECHOOTO]
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

That is an interesting listen, Eric. You have described it well.

Brought to mind something that Phillip Glass might have done...

#322900 - 12/04/15 04:25 AM [User Showcase] Re: Thundering New Age Surprise [Re: DIOECHOOTO]
Loc: South Carolina
Charlie Fogle Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Carolina
Good use of real tracks and I think your mix was excellent.

This was a fun listen.

#322923 - 12/04/15 07:03 AM [User Showcase] Re: Thundering New Age Surprise [Re: DIOECHOOTO]
Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
boehm Offline
Veteran

Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
Hi Eric,

interesting listen.
I wonder what your nickname means?

Guenter

#322930 - 12/04/15 07:45 AM [User Showcase] Re: Thundering New Age Surprise [Re: DIOECHOOTO]
DIOECHOOTO Offline
Apprentice

Thanks for the feedback, all!
Quote:

Brought to mind something that Phillip Glass might have done...

Thanks, Floyd! I wouldn't have thought of that. It's been a LONG time, but I have enjoyed Phillip Glass albums (and of course, probably it hasn't really been all that long, since his music is in so many music and shows) so maybe some of his sensibilities rubbed off? Of course, it all sort of rubs off...hard to say...

Quote:
Good use of real tracks and I think your mix was excellent.

This was a fun listen.

Thanks, Charlie. Fun is good. I appreciate the comment about the real tracks, because I learned something: even if the picker says there's no match, go ahead and try it if you have a mind to. The one Real Track used on the tune was the Real Drums, which wasn't "matched", but I think it works nicely!

Quote:
Hi Eric,

interesting listen.
I wonder what your nickname means?

Hi, Guenter, thanks! My nickname was a spur-of-the-moment choice. It's an acronym for deaf in one ear can't hear out of the other. I'm probably "allowed" the "humor" since I was fit with my first hearing aids when I was just 5. It seems like if one tries to pronounce the nickname, something evocative of Japanese (Nihongo) might emerge.

#323005 - 12/04/15 12:15 PM [User Showcase] Re: Thundering New Age Surprise [Re: DIOECHOOTO]
Loc: Chattanooga, TN
SRP Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Chattanooga, TN
Hi Eric,
Wow what a nickname! I enjoyed your song and I hope to hear more from you.
Sonny

#323026 - 12/04/15 02:25 PM [User Showcase] Re: Thundering New Age Surprise [Re: DIOECHOOTO]
Loc: The Netherlands
RnAM Offline
Veteran

Loc: The Netherlands
Hi Eric,

This is very special and interesting music.
Nice mix and choice of RTs.
By the way, if you want to export the separate tracks, you can do it simply by using "Save all tracks as WAV file - choose (folder) - click "One WAV per track" and "Normalize", then click "DXi-Direct Render" and BiaB will do the work for you. You'll get the total mix as well as all the tracks seperately smile

Rob and Anne-Marie

RnAM Homepage (completely restyled)
YouTube Channel

#323045 - 12/04/15 04:04 PM [User Showcase] Re: Thundering New Age Surprise [Re: DIOECHOOTO]
Loc: Cremona-Italy
Sergio Guarneri Offline
Expert

Loc: Cremona-Italy

Hello,

I like your music.
Good real tracks used and great wah

Sergio

Sergio

#323047 - 12/04/15 04:05 PM [User Showcase] Re: Thundering New Age Surprise [Re: DIOECHOOTO]
Loc: Helsinki, Finland
dani48 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Helsinki, Finland
Hi, Eric !

Really nice tune this one 1

Liked it very much 1

Cheers
Dani

#323076 - 12/04/15 06:55 PM [User Showcase] Re: Thundering New Age Surprise [Re: DIOECHOOTO]
Loc: wales
gibson Offline
Veteran

Loc: wales
Intriguing, and just as I was getting into it, it stopped, the song deserves to be longer IMHO.

You wrote
Quote:
I appreciate the comment about the real tracks, because I learned something: even if the picker says there's no match, go ahead and try it if you have a mind to.
That is something I totally agree with no RealTrack or RealDrum is out of bounds 3/4 and swing sometimes go well together in a 4/4 even song.

Great nickname grin

Alyn

My story

#323254 - 12/05/15 02:55 PM [User Showcase] Re: Thundering New Age Surprise [Re: DIOECHOOTO]
DIOECHOOTO Offline
Apprentice

Hi, SRP

Quote:
Wow what a nickname!

There's more. I noticed after I coined it that embedded are Dio (Old Italian/Latin for God, deity, godlike, divine, bright, resplendent) echo (A reflected sound that is heard again by its initial observer) , and oto (anatomy: ear). So, a tad loftier interpretation of my nickname is available, if desired. For example "with the echo of divine sounds in our ears, we make music"... hear's hoping no one minds the pretension...

Quote:
I enjoyed your song and I hope to hear more from you.

Thanks, chances are good!

Hi, Rob and Anne-Marie

Quote:
By the way, if you want to export the separate tracks, you can do it simply by using "Save all tracks as WAV file - choose (folder) - click "One WAV per track" and "Normalize", then click "DXi-Direct Render" and BiaB will do the work for you. You'll get the total mix as well as all the tracks seperately

Thanks, that's a great tip, I didn't know that! On this project, I used several different voices for a couple-few of the midi tracks, but it still would have saved a couple steps.

Quote:
This is very special and interesting music.
Nice mix and choice of RTs.

Thank you kindly for saying so!

Hi Sergio

Quote:
I like your music.
Good real tracks used and great wah

I appreciate the feedback, thanks!

Hi, Dani

Quote:
Really nice tune this one!

Liked it very much!

Thank so much...cheers!

Hi, Alyn

Quote:
Intriguing, and just as I was getting into it, it stopped, the song deserves to be longer IMHO.

I'm beginning to agree, and am currently putting some thought into how best to extend it. I'll probably leave it pretty much just as it is, and then add a second part that carries forward some aspect/motif, yet is very different, in order to lengthen it.

Quote:
Great nickname

Thanks! I'm looking at it in a new light smile

Edited by DIOECHOOTO (12/05/15 02:56 PM)

#323325 - 12/05/15 06:41 PM [User Showcase] Re: Thundering New Age Surprise [Re: DIOECHOOTO]
Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Scott C Offline
Veteran

Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Very enjoyable listen well done

#323396 - 12/06/15 06:18 AM [User Showcase] Re: Thundering New Age Surprise [Re: DIOECHOOTO]
tommyad Offline
Veteran

Eric, This was an interesting listen and yes a lot of real tracks work well together regardless of the style. Keep writing and posting. Tom

#323549 - 12/06/15 09:04 PM [User Showcase] Re: Thundering New Age Surprise [Re: DIOECHOOTO]
Loc: Davis, CA
Greg Johnson Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Davis, CA
Cool music!! Sounds like soundtrack stuff to me-be great in a film. The guitar is really cool!! Take care. Greg

#323801 - 12/07/15 06:51 PM [User Showcase] Re: Thundering New Age Surprise [Re: DIOECHOOTO]
DIOECHOOTO Offline
Apprentice

There was at least one suggestion to make the song longer, and so I did. The first part of the new version is simply the old version, nothing at all changed...I basically just "tacked" on a second movement.

The basic details of the first hold true, but I did a lot more playing with getting tracks out of BIAB, taking into Reaper, and getting jiggy with effects; plus, obviously, I added more of me noodlin' on guitars...I think it sounds pretty nice, actually... within certain limitations. It took me just a handful of hours to accomplish this. Enjoy!

https://soundcloud.com/eric-ryser/thundering-new-age-surprise-finished

P.S. thanks for the continued nice remarks, I suppose it might be prudent at some point to hope people read this and know I mean it when I say I appreciate them VERY much, rather than to answer every single post unless something specific in the post calls for it.

P.P.S. Yeah, posted that last night all bleary-eared. This morning, I realize that new mix (the second part) is far from finished...it's crap...but at least the ideas are flowing...and the first part is fine, I'm perfectly satisfied with that...

Edited by DIOECHOOTO (12/08/15 08:23 AM)

#325101 - 12/14/15 06:37 AM [User Showcase] Re: Thundering New Age Surprise [Re: DIOECHOOTO]
DIOECHOOTO Offline
Apprentice

Here's the finished extended track that I'm happy with. The other tracks have been deleted, apologies for any inconvenience this may cause.

New title ThunderDone has a nice ring to it. An additional Real Drum track was used, Rock Even 16 (I think...pretty sure...the uncertainty stems from not taking notes and having renamed the tracks for simplicity during the process of bringing into Reaper)

Edited by DIOECHOOTO (12/14/15 06:46 AM)

PG Music News
#TipTuesday - The Band-in-a-Box® 2020 Feature Browser!

Don't underestimate the power of the Feature Browser added with Band-in-a-Box® 2020! This is a GREAT resource when you "know that you knew a feature" but just can't quite remember how to find it!

Simply click on the [?] at the top of the program (near the Mixer on the right) to launch this feature. From there, simply type in your query, or choose from the long list that appears in the Feature Browser window. If you're typing it in, you'll see that list change to only show the results that could fit your search - once you find what you're looking for, you can read more about it when you choose [Manual], if there's a video for the feature you can choose [Video] to view it, OR - if you don't need to read about the feature and just want to USE it, choose [Do it] and you're all set!

Watch this new feature in action when you jump to the subject in our New Features video:

10:19 - New Feature - Feature Browser

Give the Gift of Music with Band-in-a-Box®!

Did you wait too long to purchase flowers, a card, or book a restaurant for Valentine's Day? Or, maybe material gifts just aren't your thing?

Why not whip together a song in Band-in-a-Box? It's as easy as typing in some chords, choosing a style, and pressing play!

Or, take it a step further with the help of the Audio Chord Wizard and our StylePicker Song Titles Browser feature!
How???
-Use the Audio Chord Wizard to analyze their favorite song and provide you with the chord progression
-Take that chord progression and start a new project in Band-in-a-Box (choose "Erase the Audio WAV file in BB" | Enable style)
-Head to the StylePicker window, search for a style for that song using the "Song Titles Browser" Feature (top right)
-Choose from the list provided
-Press Play!

Like what you hear? Save it, and viola!

Holiday Hours - Family Day (Mon, Feb 17)

Monday, February 17th is Family Day!

Our hours on this holiday will be:
Customer Service: 8:00AM to 4:00PM PST
Technical Support: Closed.

Regular hours resume Tuesday, February 18th.

www.pgmusic.com/contact.htm

Get Out Your Guitar with Band-in-a-Box®!

Today is Get Out Your Guitar Day! To celebrate, "they" recommend gathering up a few friends with guitars to ROCK!

But, what if you're unable to round up your crew? That's where Band-in-a-Box® comes in!

There are more than 1,100 Guitar RealTracks available in Sets 1-352 by over 50 RealTracks Artists! Jam along with any of them when you create your own song using Guitar RealTracks, or play one of the demo songs for any Guitar you choose in the RealTracks picker dialog - simply choose your Guitar and click on the [Song Demo...] button within that window.

OR take it even farther when you head to the Soloist within Band-in-a-Box® and choose "Trade" when generating a Guitar Soloist track - choose between 2, 4, or 8 bars!

Learn more about the Trade option within Band-in-a-Box in Chapter 9 | "The Soloist" of our Online Manual.

RealBand® Bar Settings Explained

Pressing the [Bar] button or f5 while in the Chords Window of RealBand brings up the Settings for Bar for that song.

What can you do in Bar Settings?
-Key Changes
-Style Changes
-Instrument Changes
-RealTracks Changes (opens a new window)
-Access the UserTracks Development Settings
-assign bars to repeat
-Reset - All Bars or Current Bar

Band-in-a-Box® Bar Settings Explained

Right-click on any bar within Band-in-a-Box®, and you'll gain access to the Bar Settings for your song!
(also accessed by choosing "Settings for Current Bar" within the Edit menu of the program, or clicking f5)

What can you do within this window?
-Edit the number of beats per bar
-tempo changes
-Key Signature changes
-volume changes for each track (Bass, Piano, Drums, etc)
-MIDI Patch Changes
-Harmony Changes (choose which bar & beat!)
-access to UserTracks Development
-Clear the Style
-Access to RealDrums features (including Clearing the RealDrums)
-change the RealTracks at selected bar
-Reset ALL the bars or the selected bar
-Access Print Summary of Bar Settings

We have a video about Bar Settings, if you're interested: Band-in-a-Box® for Windows: Bar Settings Overview

For those that like to read about features, check out the PDF manual, specifically Chapter 6: Making Songs. Or, read this information within the Online Manual.

#TBT - The Release of RealTracks with Band-in-a-Box® 2008!

With Band-in-a-Box® 2007, we added RealDrums, which program users were THRILLED to see!

So, with Band-in-a-Box® 2008 we added RealTracks! Initially, 3 were released:
1. Real Pedal Steel
2. Real Acoustic Guitar
3. Tenor Sax soloing (RealSax)

Do you remember these? We do! We got a chance to "show them off" at Musikmesse that year, and the response was overwhelming - EVERYONE loves RealTracks! Adding real instruments played by top studio musicians adds an exciting human element to all your Band-in-a-Box songs!

Now there are over 2,900 RealTracks available in RealTracks Sets 1-352! Get them ALL with every Band-in-a-Box® 2020 UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

Other new features added when we released Band-in-a-Box® 2008 included:
-MultiStyles
-Medley Maker
-Key signature changes at any bar
-"Fixed Do" Chord Entry and Display
...and more!

To reminisce on all the features released with older versions of Band-in-a-Box®, head to Help | Contents | Features within the program. There are separate lists going all the way back to Band-in-a-Box® Version 7!

Forum Stats
31197 Members
63 Forums
62420 Topics
528076 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
Paul_V, BobbyL, jms27000, liuling123, har0ld137

31196 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
MarioD 141
Noel96 123