Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#325947 12/18/15 04:37 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
RealDrums play a starring rule here. If you have never taken the time to walk through all the RealDrum options, you need to.
There are over 300 choices - not to mention the choices inside those choices (so, thousands!).
BIAB is worth its price if you only use it as a "drum machine"!

If you are ever in the Tampa Bay area, you should spend some time in Ybor City.
Many years ago it contained little more than some cigar factories and the Florida mafia. The population was largely Cuban.
It was once (supposedly) the hangout of pirates...Tampa throws a Gasparilla celebration each year - sort of our Mardi Gras..(pirates, drunks, girls, beads)..
The Cloumbia Restaurant has been there over 100 years, but little else was there...

About 40 years ago, businessmen began moving in to transform it into a "tourist area".
I played weekends at the first "new" bar ("Rough Riders Restaurant" in a converted cigar factory)
when it was still considered "the bad side of town".
https://www.floridamemory.com/items/show/88695
(There is some chance that I am the guy at the bottom of the stairs, back turned in that picture)

You did not want to stray from the main drag at night.

Today it is Tampa's most colorful area. If you visit, make sure to go to the Tampa Bay Brewing Company and order the meatloaf... I am NOT kidding...see it on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives Homemade & Homebrewed Highlights (link no longer valid)
Walking the main drag Saturday night is entertaining...

This is my "tribute" to that 1977-era Ybor..

YBOR CITY LULLABY

in the heart of the city
veins of red cobblestone
between summer heat and a spanish beat
where many a pirate's been known
laughing senoritas and colored piñatas
twirl to the tourists delight
latin girls so pretty, but deep in this city
plans are being made for the night

oh, carmelita
   hold me up or hold me down
   is ybor city paradise
   or the bad side of town

the corners have all been stolen
by bright lights and squad car patrols
but neither violate the alleys
where schemers and saboteurs stroll
costumed and gay by the light of the day
but don't walk away from the crowd
their hatred is buried, but like switchblades it's carried
it burns in the hearts of the proud

oh, carmelita
   do we dare to dream or drown
   is ybor city paradise
   or the bad side of town

behind the festival veil
a people gasping for air
they invite the invaders to join in the dance
reach a hand out but nothing is there

oh, carmelita
   lay your body down
   ybor city is paradise
   the bad side of town

And finally... the (Latin Rock) band!!!

Style is _GUAJIRA.STY (Guajira Trio [120RS])

RealDrums in style: SalsaGuajira^1-a:BongoFills, b:Bells
RealDrums in Song: PraiseWorshipShine^01-a:Snare, HiHat , b:Snare, Ride

RealTracks in style: 1958:Bass, Baby, Guajira Ev 120
RealTracks in style: 1959:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm Guajira Ev 120
RealTracks in style: 1960:Tres, Rhythm Guajira Ev 120
RealTracks in song: 1004:Guitar, 12-String Acoustic, Rhythm ClassicRockStrumming Ev16 065
RealTracks in song: 1292:Accordion, Rhythm TexMexCountry Ev 120
RealTracks in song: 1770:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm JazzFunkMovinChords Ev16 130
RealTracks in song: 659:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm TexasRockChop Ev 120 (B:8ths)
RealTracks in song: 698:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm ElecRockDirty Ev 120 (A:muted)
RealTracks in song: 809:Guitar, Electric, Soloist DrivingCountryBallad Ev 065

Play it loud (or in phones) - to really hear the RealDrums!

Y'all diviértete...Arrggh..

Have at it.

floyd

Last edited by Andrew - PG Music; 09/26/17 01:51 PM.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
floyd
The Latin beat sets the mood straight away portraying a life about which I know nothing.In the late 70's I hung around in the "celebrity" side of London in the same districts as some gangsters, never saw them but the stories...wow! No longer playing live at that time, sadly, I restarted in the 80's.

The lyrics paint pictures and turn that photo into colour, so I won't pick an example as I'd have to praise each line!

Them drums are excellent, must investigate them myself

Wonderful, Floyd, absolutely wonderful. There must be great memories to produce this masterpiece.

A great listen on this miserable day in Wales, cold 'n damp.

Needs a few more listens!!

Excellent

Alyn

User Showcase
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
This one really fits you. Fits you so very well...

It all comes together like Grandma's banana pudding!

About the picture: It is good that you notated back turned at the bottom of the stairs. You share the same hairstyle as the lady at the top of the stairs with her back turned... holding a pocketbook....

A peculiarity to your subject is a town in S/E NC named Tabor City. It shares many of the same characteristics with Ybor except the entire city has the reputation. It is fondly nicknamed in these parts as "Razor City."

It does not have a tourist section like Ybor but it presents a large fall festival each year called the Yam Festival that is internationally acclaimed. It is not as bad these days of its reputation as it once was but if you get crossed up there, it's still as bad once as it ever was. smile

It is also the birthplace of country legend Stonwall Jackson.

Last edited by Charlie Fogle; 12/18/15 05:14 AM.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Wow! I love a bit o'latin - especially one with a thumping drum beat like this.
Great lyrics - is it REALLY that scarey?! And great tune too - loved the Chorus.
AND - is that SOLO guitar and Outro really an RT - or is that you? Its stunning and fits perfectly.
Ace Job, my friend.
cheers
ian

Old Guys Rule.The older I get,the better I was!
BB2023 ULTRA, 1013, Win 7 and 10

ALL TRACKS - https://app.box.com/s/501rnzrbadng1elvi45hbf7y08kl5oxp
SOUNDCLOUD-tracks using BB-
http://soundcloud.com/sixchannel
Videos-
https://youtube.com/user/Sixchannel1
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I think Latin beats always make a body want to move - they sure do mine. So you had me from the get go with that rhythm track. Cool story well written - love the line about the switch blade. You sound great on it. Mucho enjoyed!

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Floyd,

everything is perfect! I especially like the panorama you have in the mix.
Thanks a lot for the background story and the picture.
You gave me some pleasant minutes today.

Guenter

User Showcase
ROG Offline
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Floyd.

Well, that's another place on my list of where to visit when I eventually get to do my tour of the US.

What a splendid track - a sort of rock salsa. (The dance, not the spicy tomato dip.)

I was waiting for Herb Alpert trumpets to perform the solo but got Jimi Hendrix instead. Cool.

A terrific mix in which everything rocks from start to finish and which nearly brought the Tannoys off the stands. Maybe more cowbell?

ROG.

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Floyd,
Having been a Tampa Bay resident for three years, the title grabbed my attention. Yep, you nailed it! I've been to all the places you mentioned but never in the bad ole days. It must have been wild! People still routinely get into trouble there but it's such a cool place and the cigars a still great.
Excellent song. I really enjoyed it.
SD

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Excellent vocal and lyrics. Latin music has such a cool rhythm to it. Guitar was superb.

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: gibson
floyd
The Latin beat sets the mood straight away portraying a life about which I know nothing.In the late 70's I hung around in the "celebrity" side of London in the same districts as some gangsters, never saw them but the stories...wow! No longer playing live at that time, sadly, I restarted in the 80's.

The lyrics paint pictures and turn that photo into colour, so I won't pick an example as I'd have to praise each line!

Them drums are excellent, must investigate them myself

Wonderful, Floyd, absolutely wonderful. There must be great memories to produce this masterpiece.

A great listen on this miserable day in Wales, cold 'n damp.

Needs a few more listens!!

Excellent

Alyn

Thanks, Alyn. You can get really lost in walking through all the drums choices... I don't think people realize how much variety is really there. It's pretty incredible...and you don't have to program them yourself! Click, Click Click and done... I'd like to hear ALL of your stories one day...

Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
This one really fits you. Fits you so very well...

It all comes together like Grandma's banana pudding!

About the picture: It is good that you notated back turned at the bottom of the stairs. You share the same hairstyle as the lady at the top of the stairs with her back turned... holding a pocketbook....

A peculiarity to your subject is a town in S/E NC named Tabor City. It shares many of the same characteristics with Ybor except the entire city has the reputation. It is fondly nicknamed in these parts as "Razor City."

It does not have a tourist section like Ybor but it presents a large fall festival each year called the Yam Festival that is internationally acclaimed. It is not as bad these days of its reputation as it once was but if you get crossed up there, it's still as bad once as it ever was. smile

It is also the birthplace of country legend Stonwall Jackson.

I hope Grandma's pudding was good...

User Showcase
G
Veteran
Veteran
G
Really well done song, and interesting background story Floyd!! The Latin beat is infectious. The mix is superb. And, the lyrics are wonderfully descriptive and poetic. You traverse many styles with great skill and apparent comfort. Great job!! Take care. Greg

User Showcase
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Floyd,

In my opinion this is your best song/arrangement/composition and vocal, so far.
First: the vocal volume levels are beautifully weaved in the songs arrangement. They are pitch perfect especially in the chorus.
Second: The (gritty) electric guitars work perfectly to roughen up the mix a little.
Third: The mix/arrangement itself has a very distinct atmosphere, also due to the percussion and the accordion.
The song gives the exact feeling of what you've been describing in your post.
It's a little bit different from what you usually do, but very, very cool!

Rob

We are Rob Meulman and Anne-Marie Bovenkamp from The Netherlands.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1gsdNLE7_Gy8qavoOplQow/videos
http://rnam.net/

User Showcase
SRP Offline
Journeyman
Journeyman
As you know I moved to Tampa in 1977 and although ours paths never crossed, we did have one thing in common and that was our experiences with Ybor City. Yours was playing music there and mine delivering Krispy Kreme donuts. I had thought many times of writing about Ybor City but you have done such a perfect job with this song that there would be no need of it. You have captured everything that needs to be told with such precision and musical talent that if a person had never been there they now have a great understanding of what it was like in those days. Great job Floyd! I love what you did with the Latin sound and it really brought back some old memories for me. Thanks for writing this one.
Sonny

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Floyd
I liked everything about that one - the story the vocal the guitars and of course the drums.
You continue to push the envelope.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Nice! The percussion introduction is very ear-catching, as in the guitar at the end (and your vocal with the reverb).

I'd been eyeing <BRAND NAME REDACTED> Blues Drumkit, but I keep reminding myself what you pointed out: BiaB has some really nice drumkits, and it's really easy to forget how much we've already got.

Anyway, fun listen, especially with the guitars playing off against the latin drums.

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hey floyd,

I haven't listened to the song yet nor read any of the comments. I've just finished reading the lyrics and I wanted to pass on some thoughts regarding those before being influenced by anything else.

I LOVE the opening. What a fantastic initial image and metaphor... a very lyrical play on the word 'heart'...

Quote:
in the heart of the city
veins of red cobblestone

... after reading that, I was fully committed to finish!

The next thing that came my way was just how outstanding your rhyme scheme is. It's very sophisticated indeed. (The phrase "floyd is a lyricist supremo" just sprang to mind. I pass it on for what it's worth smile ).

Quote:
(x) in the heart of the city
(a) veins of red cobblestone
(b) between summer heat
(b) and a spanish beat
(a) where many a pirate's been known
(c) laughing senoritas
(c) and colored piñatas
(d) twirl to the tourists delight
(e) latin girls so pretty
(e) but deep in this city
(d) plans are being made for the night

The rhythm of the rhyme is fantastic. I hope that people who listen to this song take the time to read the lyric aloud. It's well worth the journey. A great lyric!

Ok... off to listen now... I'm curious to see where this goes.

Back now...

What an incredible creation!

Not only is this a write of the highest calibre, it's also a masterpiece arrangement and production. In addition, your performance is spectacular.

I'm heading back for another listen. This is music at its very best!

Regards
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: sixchannel
Wow! I love a bit o'latin - especially one with a thumping drum beat like this.
Great lyrics - is it REALLY that scarey?! And great tune too - loved the Chorus.
AND - is that SOLO guitar and Outro really an RT - or is that you? Its stunning and fits perfectly.
Ace Job, my friend.
cheers
ian

Thanks, Ian.... Ybor is not like that now. It is a terrific place to visit... as long as you keep to the main two streets...

The solo guitar is an RT - it is listed above..

Originally Posted By: Sundance
I think Latin beats always make a body want to move - they sure do mine. So you had me from the get go with that rhythm track. Cool story well written - love the line about the switch blade. You sound great on it. Mucho enjoyed!

Josie - Thanks for dropping by (and dancing!)

boehm #326297 12/19/15 12:27 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: boehm
Hi Floyd,

everything is perfect! I especially like the panorama you have in the mix.
Thanks a lot for the background story and the picture.
You gave me some pleasant minutes today.

Guenter

Thanks for listening, Guenter... and for the nice comments...

User Showcase
J
JEL Offline
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
J
Good one smile

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Ay!

Ser suave como la seda. ¡Bien hecho! Hiciste un excelente trabajo. Perfect companion for my Cuba Libre! grin

Regards,

Bob

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,389
Posts732,448
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195