Index
#329767 - 01/06/16 07:07 AM [User Showcase] Foes Of Happiness
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Foes Of Happiness

Happy New Year All!

Four years ago BiaB allowed us to leave our decades of traditional bluegrass and settle into our current comfort zone of Americana, blues and bluesy country. But every now and then we like to experiment with something a wee bit on the rock side so here is this year's effort :-)

During 2015 I ran into several folks I had not seen in years. They were overwhelmingly bitter about, well, seemingly everything. Most of their experiences seemed to be wrapped up in some form of negativity and they insisted on keeping the conversation there. I reflected a lot on this and ended up writing this lyric. It's obviously nothing profound but as I turn 70 this week it is an attempt to express my feelings on how to deal with negative folks. Don't engage - just run!

Thanks to Tom for his input on the write, arrangement and solo/rhythm guitar, to floyd for critiquing the mix and to my better half Janice for putting up with me by singing/creating melodies for whatever I throw her way.

As always we are very appreciative of your time to listen and comment.

Bass: RT 387 Electric Metal
Drums: RD Nashville Southern
Drums: RD Snare (grabbed from BiaB respective drum kit file)
Shaker: Apple Loop
Mandolin: RT 1755 Rhythm Pop 8ths
Guitar Rhythm: Tom Adams
Guitar Lead: Tom Adams
Lead Vocal: Janice, Rodes NT mic, Blue Icicle USB
Effects: Ozone 6, Ozone 5 and Nectar 2
Mixing/mastering stuff: Bud

Foes of Happiness
© 2016 B. Merritt/J. Merritt/T. Adams

Verse 1

I’ve never been told taking the high road would be easy
tolls, dead ends, wrecks along the way, nothing's ever free
pulling me back all the time, girl you ain't gotta prayer
well it may look like I'm still here, but I'm getting there

Ref

I've gotta get away, run from the foes of happiness.
I won't fall in their world of hatred and bitterness.

Verse 2

they're all around me, trying to put out my flame
chokin’ me like weeds in their garden of shame
get too close and they sprout up all around my soul
hang around too long, and they pull me down their hole

Ref

Solo

Verse 3

people that are stained by anger that'll never cease
I can't let them in, I won't let them poison my peace
give in and they'll steal everything that I value
stay on the high road, I can feel my spirit renew

Ref

Outro

Our Website
J&B Website

#329779 - 01/06/16 08:42 AM [User Showcase] Re: Foes Of Happiness [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: York, England
ROG Offline
Veteran

Loc: York, England
Hi there J&B, plus Floyd and Tom.

Fabulous. Loved it from the first chord to the last.

Super backing track that really rocks and great guitar work from Tom.

Janice, what can I say that I haven't said before. You have a voice which is immediately recognisable. There are lots of good singers, but only a rare few who are this distinctive. It's SO good to hear you turning your talents to something with a rock feel for a change. The key which you're in does something to the timbre of your voice which brings me out in goosebumps. This really was a treat.

Congrats to you all.

ROG.

#329786 - 01/06/16 09:32 AM [User Showcase] Re: Foes Of Happiness [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Helsinki, Finland
dani48 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Helsinki, Finland
Hi, Bud ,Janice, Tom and Floyd !

A super track and super doing by all
involved !:))

Just the right music to start
up this new year !:))

Cheers
Dani

#329792 - 01/06/16 10:03 AM [User Showcase] Re: Foes Of Happiness [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
boehm Offline
Veteran

Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
Hi Janice & Bud, Tom and Floyd,

what a great collab again.
I enjoyed everything about it.

Guenter

#329817 - 01/06/16 12:27 PM [User Showcase] Re: Foes Of Happiness [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Scott C Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Awesome tune. Loved it Excellent collaboration

#329834 - 01/06/16 02:04 PM [User Showcase] Re: Foes Of Happiness [Re: ROG]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: ROG
Hi there J&B, plus Floyd and Tom.

Fabulous. Loved it from the first chord to the last.

Super backing track that really rocks and great guitar work from Tom.

Janice, what can I say that I haven't said before. You have a voice which is immediately recognisable. There are lots of good singers, but only a rare few who are this distinctive. It's SO good to hear you turning your talents to something with a rock feel for a change. The key which you're in does something to the timbre of your voice which brings me out in goosebumps. This really was a treat.

Congrats to you all.

ROG.

ROG, you have made our week. Given both the always high quality of your productions and your rock foundation we feel our effort is validated! It's always fun (tempered with a little apprehension) to explore new territory but when the "forum man" of that territory is kind enough to make the above remarks it really means a lot. I (Bud) have encouraged Janice to explore the lower end of her range. She spent so many years in bluegrass which demanded singing lead and harmony at the upper end that I don't think she was initially aware that she had a voice in the lower end -- she's nodding in agreement smile Thank you!!

J&B
J&B Website

#329843 - 01/06/16 02:33 PM [User Showcase] Re: Foes Of Happiness [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Alabama, USA
Al-David Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alabama, USA
Hey You Four...

Some super talent shining here. Great song and terrific performance by all. Janice's voice is as sweet as a truck load of sugar and Tom's guitar is as edgy as ever. The lyric is refreshing and well done. Of course, Floyd's mixing skills are second to none.

Great job ... we loved it!

Alan & Di

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

#329860 - 01/06/16 04:21 PM [User Showcase] Re: Foes Of Happiness [Re: boehm]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: dani48
Hi, Bud ,Janice, Tom and Floyd !

A super track and super doing by all
involved !:))

Just the right music to start
up this new year !:))

Cheers
Dani

Thanks Dani. Have a great year!

Originally Posted By: boehm
Hi Janice & Bud, Tom and Floyd,

what a great collab again.
I enjoyed everything about it.

Guenter

We are happy that you like it Guenter. Thanks!

J&B

Edited by Janice & Bud (01/06/16 04:22 PM)
J&B Website

#329890 - 01/06/16 06:55 PM [User Showcase] Re: Foes Of Happiness [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Davis, CA
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Loc: Davis, CA

Great verse!! I also love the refrain-just tells it straight. Very cool song all the way around. Vocals are great and mix excellent. The guitar......it's got me thinking there should be some Tom Adams RTs in 2017!! Great job guys! Take care. Greg

#329895 - 01/06/16 07:24 PM [User Showcase] Re: Foes Of Happiness [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: South Carolina
Charlie Fogle Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Carolina
Good write, arrangement, mix and production. Stellar start to the new year. Enjoyed my listen.

#329908 - 01/06/16 08:26 PM [User Showcase] Re: Foes Of Happiness [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Chattanooga, TN
SRP Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Chattanooga, TN
Hi guys, another great collaboration. Super job on all aspects from vocals, mix, writing to great overall sound with Tom adding his magic on guitar. Thanks Janice, Bud, Floyd and Tom for working so good together and bringing us a super song.
Sonny

#329927 - 01/07/16 02:23 AM [User Showcase] Re: Foes Of Happiness [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Sydney Australia
PeterF Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sydney Australia
Janice, Bud & Tom
Seriously when is the album coming out!

#329933 - 01/07/16 03:07 AM [User Showcase] Re: Foes Of Happiness [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Warwickshire, UK
Skyline Offline
Veteran

Loc: Warwickshire, UK
Great stuff guys. Super song superbly put together. Wow, I love that vocal delivery!
cool blush
John
BIAB 2017
Cakewalk by BandLab
Studio One 4

#329958 - 01/07/16 06:19 AM [User Showcase] Re: Foes Of Happiness [Re: Janice & Bud]
Kemmrich Offline
Expert

You folks can do it all. You are surely right -- keep negativity at bay the best you can. good message and good tune.

One suggestion, if you want to do rock, study someone like the lead singer from Counting Crows. He really pushes his vocal to the limit during the verses -- and then cranks it up during the chorus (ha, ha). Janice is mighty close, but I think she can even dig deeper. Hmmm, easy for me to say.

Still an excellent performance, though. Good write and arrangement, too.

#329965 - 01/07/16 06:49 AM [User Showcase] Re: Foes Of Happiness [Re: Janice & Bud]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

It's good to see you break out of the confines of your "normal" style that you had cast for yourselves. I like this.

Everything sounds good. One thing that stuck out to me was the snare. It sounds really nice but it's a bit too loud in the mix.

Negative folks are all over the place and it's easy to commiserate with them, but you can't afford to do that if you want to be happy and get things done. I don't like hanging with or having discussions with folks who are always going to the negative side of things. The sun is shining in my world.

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music

#329978 - 01/07/16 07:50 AM [User Showcase] Re: Foes Of Happiness [Re: Al-David]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Scottt709
Awesome tune. Loved it Excellent collaboration

Thank you very much Scott for listening and commenting...

J&B

Originally Posted By: Al-David
Hey You Four...

Some super talent shining here. Great song and terrific performance by all. Janice's voice is as sweet as a truck load of sugar and Tom's guitar is as edgy as ever. The lyric is refreshing and well done. Of course, Floyd's mixing skills are second to none.

Great job ... we loved it!

Alan & Di

Thanks y'all....Janice smiled when she read that!

Bud
J&B Website

#330048 - 01/07/16 02:38 PM [User Showcase] Re: Foes Of Happiness [Re: Greg Johnson]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson

Great verse!! I also love the refrain-just tells it straight. Very cool song all the way around. Vocals are great and mix excellent. The guitar......it's got me thinking there should be some Tom Adams RTs in 2017!! Great job guys! Take care. Greg

Thank you very much for those kind words Greg. From a writer like you it means even more to have the lyric mentioned. Hey, we agree with Tom and the RT!

J&B
J&B Website

#330099 - 01/07/16 09:11 PM [User Showcase] Re: Foes Of Happiness [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Australia
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Hi Janice and Bud.

First off.... and most importantly....

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Bud!

I really enjoyed listening to Janice sing this. The change of style took me by surprise.... but it was a good surprise. As always, Tom's contribution is like co-icing on the cake.

I also found myself thinking, "What a great use of connotation!" and "What a great use of metaphor!" on a number of occasions. Phrases such as "foes of happiness", "stained by anger", "sprout up around my soul", "garden of shame", "poison my peace" are so very visual and add a huge emotional punch. The rhyming of Happiness with Bitterness is also a masterstroke -- minor stress rhyme and using words that have opposite meanings.... very effective!

Really excellent work from everyone!

Regards,
Noel

#330145 - 01/08/16 06:44 AM [User Showcase] Re: Foes Of Happiness [Re: Charlie Fogle]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
Good write, arrangement, mix and production. Stellar start to the new year. Enjoyed my listen.

Glad you enjoyed the spin Charlie. Thanks.

J&B
J&B Website

#330158 - 01/08/16 07:48 AM [User Showcase] Re: Foes Of Happiness [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Maryland
SpaceDog Offline
Expert

Loc: Maryland
J&B,
Excellent vocals on this. Thx for posting.
SD

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

PG Music News
RealBand 2019 Online and PDF Manuals Available!

Visit our Online Manuals support page for access to the latest RealBand 2019 for Windows program manuals!

RealBand 2019 for Windows User's Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download
RealBand 2019 for Windows New Features Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download

RealBand 2019 is included in every purchase of Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows! Don't forget.... We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Upgrade purchases until December 31, 2018 - save over 40% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade! Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Online and PDF Manuals Available!

Visit our Online Manuals support page for access to the latest Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows program manuals!

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows User's Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download
Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade Manual: Online Manual | PDF Download

Don't forget.... We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Upgrade purchases until December 31, 2018 - save over 40% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade! Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 on a USB 3.0 Hard Drive - Speed Thrills!

We're excited to say that all Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows UltraPAK and UltraPAK+ orders now ship on a USB 3.0 hard drive!

What does this mean? Faster hard drive transfer rates will enhance the program operations (faster time to generate tracks, reduced audio artifacts) and offer faster transfer speeds (typically up to 3x faster)!

It's a great time to order your UltraPAK or UltraPAK+ Upgrade... they're ON SALE until December 31st!

Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows® New Features!

Our "Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows®! New Features, RealTracks, and other content!" video is now ready! Get to know all about the newest features in Band-in-a-Box® 2019: Click here to watch...

We have listed a table of contents for this video, you'll see it within the YouTube video description, or by visiting this forum post.

RealBand 2019 - A New Look!

Have you opened up your RealBand 2019 yet? You may notice that we've given it a fresh new look! In fact, there are now 3 different looks to RealBand.

See for yourself! Within the program, visit Options | Icon Set and choose from: Classic, Modern 1, or Modern 2.

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows - Choosing to Run 64-bit or 32-bit

We heard you! With the release of Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows we've included the BRAND NEW 64-bit version of Band-in-a-Box®, which works well with the latest plugins and 64-bit OS features! Because not everyone has a 64-bit computer, we include both the 64-bit and 32-bit versions with your purchase - you choose which one to use!

By default, when you install your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows the 32-bit version will run.

The steps to run the 64-bit version are simple! Just head to your "bb" folder and choose the "bbw64" icon - you'll notice that the Band-in-a-Box® "splash screen" will state "64-bit" as the program opens.
(and if you open the 32-bit version, the "splash screen" will state "32-bit")

Still not certain which version you're running? Within the program, go to Help | About Band-in-a-Box - it'll either state:

Band-in-a-Box® for Windows
Version 2019 (604)
<--- the number in brackets is the build number - this will change as new patch updates are released
64 bit application

or:

Band-in-a-Box® for Windows
Version 2019 (604)
<--- the number in brackets is the build number - this will change as new patch updates are released
32 bit application

We hope everyone who can is enjoying their Band-in-a-Box® 2019 64-bit version for Windows!

NEW! Style-style-style Additions and Enhancements in Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows!

With over 64 new features and enhancements in Band-in-a-Box® 2019, we've made sure to add to, enhance, and update some of the Style features within the program: StylePicker, StyleMaker, and Song Titles browser within the StylePicker!

StylePicker Enhancements:
-If the style list needs rebuild, it tells you that within the StylePicker, instead of a message that requires a response.
-The rebuild is faster than before by 75%. It takes 1/4 of the time now.
-While the style list is being rebuilt, you can see the progress inside the StylePicker.
-The style list can be filtered by a specific RealTracks/RealDrums/MIDI SuperTracks or RealTracks/MIDI SuperTracks in a certain number range.
-You can filter the style list by a specific Xtra Styles PAK.
-The dialog to select an Xtra Styles PAK has a button to take you to the PG Music website that shows information about Xtra Styles PAKs.
-The StylePicker can list all styles (including N/A styles) in the default display.
-The Set number display is improved, including sort by type and Xtra styles.

StyleMaker Improvements:

-The new MIDI velocity offset allows you to make styles with altered loudness for MIDI tracks.
-Styles can be saved with information like a memo, examples, genres, and more, which will be displayed in the StylePicker.
-You can import information from another style. This is useful when you are making a similar style.
-A style can have a huge number of RealTracks (up to 70!) because the StyleMaker now supports RealTracks multi/medley feature, which allows a single track to have up to 10 simultaneous playing of RealTracks.

Song Titles Browser Enhancement

-We’ve added 300 more song titles including requests from users, so there are now over 10,600 titles.
-The chord density filter is available, and it’s also displayed in the memo.
-The chord complexity filter is available.

Review all the new features of Band-in-a-Box® 2019 here.

Forum Stats
28427 Members
58 Forums
55197 Topics
459608 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
Justin P, thierry.inconnu, drolander, richardskelt, bennyrodrigues

28427 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Matt Finley 335
Pipeline 306