Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#335072 - 02/05/16 09:41 AM [User Showcase] A Cold Rain - featuring Janice Merritt
Loc: Florida
tommyad Offline
Veteran

I was struggling with the vocal on this one and Janice graciously stepped in to rescue me. Thanks to both Bud and Janice for hanging in there on this one. Sixteen mixes later this was the result. The little signature lick flute like sound is the Tele and a volume pedal. Thanks to all who listen and comment. Tom

http://tommyadamsmusic.com/music

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13312308

Style is _PMODGR+.STY

RealTracks in song: 1766:Mandolin, Rhythm Pop16Sync Ev 085
RealTracks in style: 1828:Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm PopModernGroove Ev16 075
RealTracks in song: 1829:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm PopModernGrooveBrightArp Ev16 075
RealTracks in song: 1758:Banjo, Rhythm, Pop16ths Ev 085
RealTracks in song: 693:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming AcRockBright Ev 120 (B:eighths)
RealTracks in song: 1601:Mandolin, Rhythm Pop16Melodic Ev 065
Royalty Free Loops, Multitrack Instrument and Song Files and Multitrack Drums from Drums on Demand and Bass on Demand

Lead Vocal, Janice Merritt
Harmony Vocal, Electric and Acoustic Guitar: Tom Adams

Recorded in Logic Pro x
Alloy2, Nectar2
Mastered with Ozone6

A Cold Rain

Excuse my bad manners I don't mean to interrupt
But I overheard you saying that you'd just broken up
you can get over this it just takes a little time
I don't want your heart to feel anything like mine

I sit here watching a cold rain running off the cars

and wonder who he's keeping warm this time

it’s been so cloudy I can’t find my lucky star

No I won’t get my wish tonight

If you feel like crying I completely understand
It's hard to give up everything all you ever had
Well You can accept the fact it was meant to be
Or keep on looking at the stars And end up just like me

I sit here watching a cold rain running off the cars

and wonder who he's keeping warm this time

it’s been so cloudy I can’t find my lucky star

No I won’t get my wish tonight

No

©2015 Thomas Adams

#335076 - 02/05/16 10:03 AM [User Showcase] Re: A Cold Rain - featuring Janice Merritt [Re: tommyad]
Loc: North Carolina
David Snyder Offline
Veteran

Loc: North Carolina
Beautiful. Outstanding song and production. Great vocals Janice.

www.davidsnydermusic.com
www.reverbnation.com/davidpsnyder
www.soundcloud.com/davidsnyderchannel
www.songtradr.com/user/profile/david.snyder

#335082 - 02/05/16 10:28 AM [User Showcase] Re: A Cold Rain - featuring Janice Merritt [Re: tommyad]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

really nice work.

There's been a few really good songs here recently and this is one of them.

Tasty licks on the guitar.

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.

As the sword chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer.

#335084 - 02/05/16 10:59 AM [User Showcase] Re: A Cold Rain - featuring Janice Merritt [Re: tommyad]
Loc: Cremona-Italy
Sergio Guarneri Offline
Expert

Loc: Cremona-Italy

Hey boys,
this is a superb song, the best I've heard since I'm on the forum!

Great sound and melodic and great vocals.
Excellent reals tracks

Very great job

Sergio

Sergio

#335112 - 02/05/16 01:31 PM [User Showcase] Re: A Cold Rain - featuring Janice Merritt [Re: David Snyder]
tommyad Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: David Snyder
Thanks David. And yes Janice did a superb job on the vocal. Tom

#335114 - 02/05/16 01:40 PM [User Showcase] Re: A Cold Rain - featuring Janice Merritt [Re: tommyad]
Loc: Sydney Australia
PeterF Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sydney Australia
Tom & Janice
Stunning!
Everything about that was top notch.

#335121 - 02/05/16 03:02 PM [User Showcase] Re: A Cold Rain - featuring Janice Merritt [Re: tommyad]
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
VideoTrack Offline
Veteran

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Tommy & Janice

What a great production.

Superb vocals from the entire team here. A really beautiful song, sensational lyrics.

Great listen for sure.

Very enjoyable. Any more?
BIAB&RB2020(Audiophile),Win-10Pro, SonarPlatinum, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, KorgX3R, RodeNGT2, AM802mixer, NS40M StudioMonitors, Pioneer Act. Mons, AKG K271 Studio H'phones

#335124 - 02/05/16 03:14 PM [User Showcase] Re: A Cold Rain - featuring Janice Merritt [Re: David Snyder]
Loc: South Carolina
Charlie Fogle Online   content
Veteran

Loc: South Carolina
Originally Posted By: David Snyder

Plus 1. This is one of your best to date.

When all's said and done, it is our privilege to hear and enjoy your music and Janice's singing here on the forum and knowing the rest of the world is missing such talented writing and performing.

#335142 - 02/05/16 07:29 PM [User Showcase] Re: A Cold Rain - featuring Janice Merritt [Re: tommyad]
Loc: Davis, CA
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Loc: Davis, CA
Another masterpiece!!! The mood is set from the first chord and it is perfect. Beautifully written chorus-captures the emotion. That tele effect is AMAZING! I scanned the RTs about 3 times looking for what that was before seeing it at the top. It just nails the vibe. Janice's vocal-PERFECT! And, the harmony worked great. Tom Adams dot com plays like a greatest hits these days! Great stuff!! Take care. Greg

#335149 - 02/05/16 10:49 PM [User Showcase] Re: A Cold Rain - featuring Janice Merritt [Re: tommyad]
Loc: South Africa
JoanneCooper Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Africa
Hey Tommy. The guitar strum at the start of this reminded of Neil Young. Was this recorded or generated in BIAB?

Love that subtle mando.

As usual Janice's vocal is stunning.

#335172 - 02/06/16 07:29 AM [User Showcase] Re: A Cold Rain - featuring Janice Merritt [Re: tommyad]
Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
boehm Offline
Veteran

Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
Hi Tommy,

another hit song!
Vocals and harmony are great.
I liked that guitar effect. Thanks that you told us
what it is.
I enjoyed listening a lot.

Guenter

#335183 - 02/06/16 10:21 AM [User Showcase] Re: A Cold Rain - featuring Janice Merritt [Re: Guitarhacker]
tommyad Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
really nice work.

There's been a few really good songs here recently and this is one of them.

Tasty licks on the guitar.
Herb, I know what a careful listener you are, so it's always great to get a thumbs up from you. Thanks, Tom

#335186 - 02/06/16 11:24 AM [User Showcase] Re: A Cold Rain - featuring Janice Merritt [Re: tommyad]
Loc: York, England
ROG Offline
Veteran

Loc: York, England
Hey Tom and Janice.

What an exceptional piece of work - the skilfully crafted lyrics, the arrangement, the production, the mix, all absolutely spot on.

Then there's the performances - Janice in that low register again, bringing me out in goosebumps and the subtle harmony from Tom, supporting without ever getting in the way.

This has the air of Fleetwood Mac, with Janice in this key sounding like Christine McVie (or Christine Perfect as we knew her in the old days).

So professional and a real treat. Thanks to you both.

ROG.

#335200 - 02/06/16 02:19 PM [User Showcase] Re: A Cold Rain - featuring Janice Merritt [Re: tommyad]
Loc: Chicago
MusicStudent Offline
Veteran

Loc: Chicago
Simply lovin it.

#335204 - 02/06/16 03:08 PM [User Showcase] Re: A Cold Rain - featuring Janice Merritt [Re: tommyad]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Tom -

There is so much good stuff here. holy cow! (you can substitute stronger stuff there).

The opening is stellar. (Did you play the strum?). That "flute guitar" is gorgeous. The "drop" to make room for the vocal is executed perfectly (that is never easy to get just right). Great build.

Great job of building the drum track. Bringing the flute back was a nice touch.

Perfect arrangement.

Janice - you have never sounded more like a star than you do on this song. holy cow! One of your best - among dozens of bests...

Tom, your harmony on this is a true standout, as well. Like Vince Gill behind Brandy Clark. John David Souther behind Linda Rondstat. The kind that you get so hung up on the you forget to listen to anything else going on. So you have to rewind...

But wait..

"I don't want your heart to feel anything like mine" - great line.

"it’s been so cloudy I can’t find my lucky star
No I won’t get my wish tonight"
....That's a why-didn't-I-think-of-that? line.

"Well You can accept the fact it was meant to be
Or keep on looking at the stars And end up just like me"
..... Great song development.

Top-tier write. I used to get to hear a lot of songs performed (by the writers) before they got to radio. And a lot more that were every bit as good as that - they can't all get there. Now and again, you'd hear one that you just KNOW would get there. This sounds like one of those.

floyd

#335218 - 02/06/16 05:39 PM [User Showcase] Re: A Cold Rain - featuring Janice Merritt [Re: tommyad]
Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Scott C Offline
Veteran

Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Another awesome collaboration Tom and Janice. Well done.

#335267 - 02/07/16 07:26 AM [User Showcase] Re: A Cold Rain - featuring Janice Merritt [Re: tommyad]
Loc: The Netherlands
RnAM Offline
Veteran

Loc: The Netherlands
Truly a great collab!
Beautiful lyrics, super professional arrangement.
Janice: we particularly like your vocal here, it has sort of a modest/country feel to it. Beautiful!
Backing vocals by the way are great.

RnAM Homepage (completely restyled)
YouTube Channel

#335277 - 02/07/16 08:00 AM [User Showcase] Re: A Cold Rain - featuring Janice Merritt [Re: PeterF]
tommyad Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Sergio Guarneri

Hey boys,
this is a superb song, the best I've heard since I'm on the forum!

Great sound and melodic and great vocals.
Excellent reals tracks

Very great job

Sergio

Sergio, That is very nice for you to say that. Thanks, Tom
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Tom & Janice
Stunning!
Everything about that was top notch.
Thanks Peter. We appreciate that. Tom

#335295 - 02/07/16 11:03 AM [User Showcase] Re: A Cold Rain - featuring Janice Merritt [Re: tommyad]
Loc: Chattanooga, TN
SRP Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Chattanooga, TN
Tom and Janice this is very fine song from the both of you. Tom this is a great write and production. Janice this fit your voice perfectly and what a great sound you produced on the Tele Tom.
I really enjoyed everything about it.
Sonny

#335333 - 02/07/16 03:40 PM [User Showcase] Re: A Cold Rain - featuring Janice Merritt [Re: tommyad]
Loc: Woodstock, NY
rsdean Offline
Veteran

Loc: Woodstock, NY
I can absolutely hear this one on the radio - excellent! Great song and outstanding vocal.

Bob

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
RealBand 2020 for Windows Updated Harmonies Feature!

The latest RealBand 2020 Update includes enhancements to the harmonies feature, improvements for audio recording, and more!

Click here to review and download this free update patch (build 4).

Video: Band-in-a-Box® - Xtra Styles PAK 9 Overview & Demos

Xtra Styles PAK 9 includes 200 NEW RealStyles for Rock-Pop, Jazz, Country, and Folk & Beyond!

There are 50 new RealStyles for each genre, with MultiStyles included in each genre too!

Learn more about loading and using Xtra Styles PAK 9 in Band-in-a-Box® 2020 and listen to the demos for the 200 new RealStyles in Xtra Styles PAK 9 with our latest video: Band-in-a-Box® - Xtra Styles PAK 9: Overview & Demos.

Add Xtra Styles PAK 9 to your band for just $29 until June 30th! Order here.

Windows user? Click here for Windows purchase links and details.

PowerTracks Pro Audio 2020 Updated!

PowerTracks Pro Audio 2020 has been updated with a small Free Update Patch that can be downloaded here.

Video: Band-in-a-Box® - Loops-with-Style PAK 2 Overview & Demos

Loops-with-Style PAK 2 is packed with 100 NEW Loops & 50 NEW Styles, including new gospel & folk categories!

Use these new Styles and Loops directly in your Band-in-a-Box® songs to access all their B substyle loops, or load these acidized loops directly into your DAW that supports acid info!

See how easy it is to load and use these Loops in Band-in-a-Box® 2020 and listen to the demos for these new Loops & Styles when you watch our latest video: Band-in-a-Box® - Loops-with-Style PAK 2 Overview & Demos.

Add Loops-with-Style PAK 2 today for just $19! Learn more and purchase here.

Haven't purchased Loops-with-Styles yet? Get the entire collection for only $29 when you bundle Loops-with-Style PAK 1 & Loops-with-Style PAK 2 for only $29! That's 100 Styles and 200 Loops for Band-in-a-Box® for just $29! Order now.

Mac user? Click here for Mac purchase links and details.

NEW Add-ons for Band-in-a-Box® 2020 - Xtra Styles PAK 9 & Loops-with-Style PAK 2!

We're delighted to be adding 200 GROUNDBREAKING RealStyles to the Band-in-a-Box® collection with Xtra Styles PAK 9!

Our new Rock-Pop additions include neo soul with vocals, classic ska with a horn section, a psychedelic sixties pop ballad, heavier action-scene cinematic metal, post-punk folk rock, six-substyle gospel pop MultiStyle with vocals, and more!

With the latest Jazz Xtra Styles, we've added everything from quarter-feel jazz blues to New Orleans Gospel to jazzy disco funk and gentle bossa folk pop, and more! We've also included a brand-new (huge!) ten-substyle "changes" jazz swing MultiStyle with three different soloist options!

The newest Country RealTracks are a real treat! We've fused folk and Americana instruments with the country sounds you know and love: ethereal and songwriter country ballads, a country rock march, country pop with layered cellos, a country soul groove, and much, much more! The included six-substyle summertime country pop MultiStyle will help you create your perfect summertime hit!

Plus, we've added to our Folk & Beyond collection with our Xtra Styles PAK 9 release! There are 50 fresh new styles, including a Cajun jaw harp boogie, cinematic folk with strings, a modern Celtic folk reel, a gentle three-guitar folk ballad, delta blues with shaker - the list goes on! Add Folk & Beyond 2 and you'll also receive a brand-new eight-part mountain folk MultiStyle!

There are 50 new RealStyles in each genre - get them ALL for only $29 until June 30th! Learn more, listen to demos and order here.

But wait... there's MORE!

We've also rolled out 50 NEW Styles and 100 NEW Loops in Loops-with-Style PAK 2!
Use these new Styles and Loops directly in your Band-in-a-Box® songs to access all their B substyle loops, or load these acidized loops directly into your DAW that supports acid info! Genres include Electronic, Funk, Hip Hop, Jazz, Pop, R&B, Rock, World, plus we're introducing two new genre categories - Gospel and Folk!

Add Loops-with-Style PAK 2 today for just $19! Learn more and purchase here.

Haven't purchased Loops-with-Styles yet? Get the entire collection for only $29 when you bundle Loops-with-Style PAK 1 & Loops-with-Style PAK 2 for only $29! That's 100 Styles and 200 Loops for Band-in-a-Box® for just $29! Order now.

Mac User? Click here for Mac details and purchase links.

Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows is Xtra Ready!

We never stop! The latest free patch update for Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows readies the program for the just-launched Xtra Styles PAK 9 (on sale until June 30th - learn more here)!

Update to build 721 and you'll see that we've improved the step-advancing notes display, updated the key command criteria for looping bars from the chordsheet, fixed email client integration, and more.

If you are a Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows user, you'll definitely want to update to the latest free patch update!

Learn more about Band-in-a-Box® 2020 build 721 for Windows and download it here.

#TBT Band-in-a-Box Finds!

I don't know about everyone here, but now that I've settled in to our "new normal" I've taken to rearranging and dusting off many things in order to keep busy and productive!

I'm picking up old hobbies, picking up clutter around the house, and as it turns out - finding forgotten picks!

We snagged these gems many, many, many years ago after The NAMM Show one winter. Check out the old Band-in-a-Box logo! Click here...

Have any of you come across something nostalgic like this these days? Let's see it!
(remember the first Audiophile version?!)

-Callie
Team Marketing

Forum Stats
32196 Members
65 Forums
64389 Topics
545960 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
MusicMonster, claudemarcel, mfowler314, kopromised, Ambulophobia

32195 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)