Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
S
OP Offline
S
Hi everyone.

This is kind of a pre-purchase question.

I am not a musician, cannot play an instrument at all, though I want to learn.

I am a writer and have a ton of lyrics that I think would make a decent song and I want to write and record a song just because it would be fun.

Can I use BIAB on it's own, without playing an instrument to write and record my own song?

If yes, are there any good resources to learn the basics of the songwriting craft?

Thanks.

Scott.

Veteran
Veteran
Hi Scott,

Welcome to the forums.

Originally Posted By: ScottGardiner70
Can I use BIAB on it's own, without playing an instrument to write and record my own song?

Yes

If yes, are there any good resources to learn the basics of the songwriting craft?

Yes

Have a look at some of the videos at the below link. They should help you get a feel for what BIAB is capable of.

Windows clips
http://www.pgmusic.com/videos.bbwin.htm

Mac clips
http://www.pgmusic.com/videos.bbmac.htm

Essentially, what you'd need to do is simply to enter a chord progression and then choose a particular style to play it. Once the style is selected, BIAB will create an entire backing. You don't need to know anything about music to do this.

Since chord progressions are not copyrightable, initially you could either use a progression from one of BIAB's demo songs or the progression to any song ever written. Eventually, by using existing progressions, you'll develop a feel for how they work and eventually start creating your own progressions from scratch.

If you check out some of the clips, I think you'll start to see what I mean.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
S
OP Offline
S
Noel,

Thanks very much for the information. I will have a look (and listen) at the links you provided.

I appreciate the response.

Scott.

Veteran
Veteran
Scott,

Take a look at the User showcase and you'll see there are a good number of forum members that are songwriters that use the showcase to obtain feedback on their songs.

Coursera offers a free, online songwriting course. You can find more about it ++ HERE ++

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Veteran
Veteran

I am a writer and have a ton of lyrics that I think would make a decent song and I want to write and record a song just because it would be fun.

Thanks.

Scott.

Let me answer this question with an example.

COME & GO

Have a listen to that song.... it is 100% Band in a Box with Real Tracks except of course for the singer. Quite often I will drop in some of my live playing since I do play several instruments, but this one is strictly BB/RB.

So NO, you do not need to have the skills to play an instrument to write songs that are excellent quality tunes. In fact, BB is designed for such folks to be able to compose music. It has a short learning curve to get you up and going. Once you learn it, there's so much you can do with it.

As far as resources for songwriting... absolutely. I would recommend The Nashville Songwriters Association International. (NSAI) It's a non-profit group which specializes in education regarding all aspects of the music business with a focus on writing music and lyrics for songs. They lean heavily on the country side but I think all genre's of writers can find a ton of useful information in their members only online video library. They offer song critiques with your membership and that alone is easily worth the cost of a year's membership. In addition, there are dozens of local chapters across the country and around the world. There's bound to be one in a big city near you. The song I used as an example above was honed by using the song evaluations and following the advice I was being given.

Another good resource for learning is TAXI. They are more expensive but they also have a wealth of information and you will find country music is a smaller percentage of what they do. They have a free forum whereas NSAI does not. SO you can use the TAXI forum to connect with folks who are all about writing the song.

As I see it, folks here are writing mostly for fun and enjoyment, TAXI & NSAI writers are for the most part seeking to become commercial writers and are honing their chops accordingly. You can learn a lot by associating with those kinds of writers.

Hope this helps you.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Veteran
Veteran
Welcome Scott to one of the most friendly sites on the web.

All of your questions have been answered so I can add nothing there. But I should mention that if/when you have a question about Band-in-a-Box or Realband (Realband is a DAW that comes with BiaB) feel free to ask away. There are many here that will help you. The only dumb question is on that is not asked. You will always get help here and the answer will never be read the (input you own F word here) manual.

Have fun!

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Journeyman
Journeyman
I've been actually using BIB as a songwriting tool, typing in alternate chords to see what sounds best. As for not being a musician,give this track a listen. As an experiment, I used nothing but BIB to record a difficult song, Hotel California, no instruments added at all.
https://soundcloud.com/willrockwell/hotel-california

ProTools 12, Faderport 8, Melodyne, JBL monitors, Novation UltraNova, Yamaha MX49, Stratocaster, Telecaster, Rickenbacker 12, Ovation 12, Vox VT20X amp
Veteran
Veteran
It seems that everyone is assuming that you sing and/or can make up melodies to work with the chord progressions you entered into BIAB and with your lyrics. I trust that is the case.

IMO we are all wired somewhat differently smile I play bass and rhythm guitar but unfortunately I don't walk around with melodies popping in and out of my head - but lyrics do appear every now and then. Now my wife Janice is completely different. She also plays rhythm guitar but give her a lyric with a meter and she will immediately hear chords and melodies in abundance. I can only wish!

Bud

M
Apprentice
Apprentice
M
The difference between poetry and songwriting is that you have to divide the words rhythimically into syllables and fit that to music. I am trying to write science ideas and don't have many one-syllable words to choose from so I have to dream up creative ways to break a script right. I am not good at this but I have an idea where I am going.

Biab is a history lesson
Downbeat magazine is a magazine that has so many examples that you are introduced to so many different styles quickly. I have learned a lot about music by using Biab. It is the history of music in a program. you need to then just take a semester of a basic music class. Not because you want to be a great musician but so you are exposed to basic harmony. Take a piano class for a semester.

D
dga Offline
Journeyman
Journeyman
D
Hi everyone.

This is kind of a pre-purchase question.

I am not a musician, cannot play an instrument at all, though I want to learn.

Scott.

Scott think of BIAB as your first musical instrument. Pick up a beginner guitar song book or go to the web and search for a simple song with chords. You can simply type the chords into the bars of the song in band in a box pick a band in the style picker hit play and away you go. You are a musician.

Now its going to take you sometime to put the chords into the correct bars, like do I give this chord 2 or 4 bars or only 1. But if you search for a beginner Rhythm guitar method book one that has slash marks like this D///|D///| A///|A///| or one that has the strumming pattern in it D VV^^V |D VV^^V |A VV^^V| These two notations show you how many bars you hold each chord. In this example you play D for 2 bars then A for 2 bars.

Every rhythm guitarist learns to strum 3 chord songs and usually sings along to get the rhythm. If you get the basic BIAB package $99.00 (much less than a good beginner guitar) you can be playing 3 chord songs in hours. Rather than the years that it takes to master guitar playing. And you will have a lot of fun amazing your friends when they hear the songs that you wrote in no time. I would estimate if you keep it simple you could put chords to one of your lyrics in a month or two.

But, don't hold back. If you have a bunch of words that you want to make into songs, BIAB is the only tool I know of that will allow someone who has no experience playing a musical instrument to compose original music. Even if it takes you a year you will be way ahead of yourself, compared to starting to learn one instrument. Because BIAB allows you to learn all the instruments you want all at once.

Last edited by dga; 03/29/16 08:00 PM.

"When you help somebody else you are really helping yourself"
Veteran
Veteran
Scott, everything I've done, musically, in the past 20 years has been BIAB exclusively. Sample my stuff in the links below.

That being said, many users create backing tracks that they play along with in various venues or situations or in personal practice sessions. You can loop all or part of your composition and practice to your heart's content.

Some just use it to add great drum tracks (or an endless selection of soloists) to their live band. Imagine Brent Mason or John Jarvis, both first call Nashville session players sitting in with you or your group. BIAB gives you that option.

Mario touched on a great point - This is the PG Music family. Flaming is very rare and usually done by trouble makers in transit. They don't last long when they see the talent and professionalism in this tight group. Before long you will be contributing, giving back to the whole.

Welcome to the family.

Don

C
Veteran
Veteran
C
>>> "I am a writer and have a ton of lyrics that I think would make a decent song and I want to write and record a song just because it would be fun." <<<

Spoofing off PGMusic video, here's my instructions that anyone can follow to write their own song with no musical background.

ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW TO WRITE YOUR OWN SONG IN 10 MINUTES

Choose an existing song from the genre your song will be written in.
Your song will be an "In the style of" song.

Get a digital download of the song you have chosen to write your song "in the style of"

Search and download a copy of the lyrics with chords of the "in the style of" song you've chosen.

Open BIAB, Import the digital downloaded song into BIAB.
Import the song in the following manner:
File/Open Special/Open with chords
This will import the song and open the Audio Chord Wizard.
Run the ACW paying attention to setting the first bar and using F8 to assure the proper tempo. There are videos showing how to use the ACW.

Once the ACW has run and imported the audio and chords into BIAB, using the lyrics with chords that you downloaded, make any necessary corrections to the chord chart.
Note that at this point, the BIAB styles are disabled allowing you to play the "in the style of" song and follow the lyrics and chords to make chord corrections.
Once you have the chord chart. Open File/Open Special/Audio Chord Wizard Utilities
Erase the tempo map and erase the audio file. Close the window.
Set the tempo to your satisfaction
Select a style similar to the "in the style of" song. Chances are you can search for a style in stylepicker by your "in the style of" song title.

Generate the song.

Write your song over this musical bed.

Enjoy and share your song with us on the Forum User Showcase -

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Veteran
Veteran
Or short-circuit Charlie's procedure even more by having BIAB melodist create the melody for you over that chord progression. Then adjust any notes you don't like, apply your lyrics to the notes, and voila.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
S
OP Offline
S
Thank you so much everyone. I haven't been here for awhile so I missed some replies but you have all pushed me much closer to getting started with BIAB.

One final question for anyone that might be able to answer. How does BIAB compare to something like Logic Pro? I assume BIAB is simpler to use but what are the advantages/disadvantages of BIAB compared to Logic Pro?

Thank you all again!

Scott

R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Scott, there are very few similarities between BIAB and Logic Pro.

BIAB is primarily an accompaniment generator software - the best that there is.

Logic Pro is primarily a Digital Audio Workstation, one of the best that there is.

Almost no overlap between them.

Veteran
Veteran
Thank you so much everyone. I haven't been here for awhile so I missed some replies but you have all pushed me much closer to getting started with BIAB.

One final question for anyone that might be able to answer. How does BIAB compare to something like Logic Pro? I assume BIAB is simpler to use but what are the advantages/disadvantages of BIAB compared to Logic Pro?

Thank you all again!

Scott

Scott,

LogicPro is a Mac specific digital audio workstation or daw. The first order of business in any daw is to create or import the raw material by recording music. Once music is recorded then you can edit the music, use tone controls on each music track, add effects such as reverberation or time delay, mix the tracks to stereo then finally prepare the completed project for distribution. Please note again the first task: record music. But you don't play a musical instrument so you must find some other way to generate and record the music and that is where Band-in-a-Box excels!

Not only can Band-in-a-Box create music the program makes the other tasks (edit, equalize, add effects and prepare for distribution) easier.

There ARE ways to create music using LogicPro but the program is designed to make recording easy, not to make creating music easy. Band-in-a-Box is designed to make creating music easy.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Veteran
Veteran
Your initial question has been answered but I will add this if you already have Logic Pro. You can generate backing tracks in BiaB then drop and drag, an easy way to move all BiaB tracks to a DAW, and record more tracks, mix and master in Logic Pro. You can do this in BiaB but you will be limited to one track for your recordings. Thus if you only sing one part you can accomplish this in BiaB but if you want to add other parts like harmonies, live guitar etc then you will need a DAW of some kind.

PS - I am not a Mac user but I think that Garage Band can accomplish this also. Also any 64 bit DAW will offer better sounds if you are working in MIDI.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Veteran
Veteran
Logic Pro is a top tier DAW that can easily overwhelm even when used in the "less features mode." GarageBand is a much better option for newbies and it's free. GB in itself is a powerful DAW and its projects can be edited by Logic Pro if needed. BTW, for me it's easier to just render BiaB tracks to a folder and then drag them from the folder to Logic or GB - quicker than the BiaB "drop box" if you are generating multiple tracks.

Best to you.

Veteran
Veteran
Scott,

Google a guy named Gary Ewer. For about 30 bucks you can download 6 e-books that well tell you everything you ever wanted to know about songwriting formats, song progression theory and every chord progression known to man, plus some. You can fiddle with this until you learn the alchemy and magic tricks.

Also, when you buy Band in a Box, go to style picker, and when you find a style you like, click load demo. You will see and hear a great sample chord progression . Study the verses and choruses carefully. Study how it all works. The nuances of band in a box are all taught within the demos. It is like a university music major--uh, in a box!!

If you do one of these a day you be be a songwriter in 6 months.

Cheers and welcome.

S
OP Offline
S
I wanted to thank you all for your input on my question. I just pulled the trigger on BIAB and I also bought Gary Ewer's songwriting ebook bundle. I'm looking forward to this new adventure. Thanks again!

Scott

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,635
Posts735,274
Members38,522
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ely Bass, Barking, SYOTR, Bpnsrinu, DanyLevy
38,522 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 181