Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I just saw this... and had a listen. (or two or twenty....)

I really like this. Yup....lots of good comments that cover it so well.... excellent writing skills. Yup, like someone else said.... if I was to quote the good lines, I'd have to copy the entire song. Such insightful observations on the relationship between two people and put into words perfectly.

Of course Janice translates it to song so very well.

Excellent job on this to the both of you.

Nits and other things that are more personal taste than crits:

I wasn't as big of a fan of the backing tracks as I was the song itself and the vocals. ( a simple matter of personal taste vs any other legitimate reason) They were good and worked fairly well, as they had a superb song... a classic example of how the tracks don't really matter as much when the song is stellar. Don't get me wrong...I know you spent a lot of time on this and the work is good.

IMHO,
An acoustic piano would have been my choice for keys.
The cello may have been a fine sounding sample, but it was probably used a bit too much. Toward the end I was hating on that cello because it really started to sound like a cheesy synth.
Drums.... there were a number of places I thought.... shut those drums off, heck why are there even drums in this part? ..... this is the kind of song where, if the tracks are done right.... no drums would be needed at all. The drums in fact gave a certain "plodding along" feel to this otherwise stellar song.
A nice turn around towards the end, moving into a full blown, but appropriate band with electric guitars, B3, steel, would have been interesting for the final choruses as another possible option.
The fade didn't work for me, and fades rarely do. A nice slow down ending to a held chord would have been the perfect ending.

Length.... I know I'll catch some grief on this, but I'm never one to hesitate to step into it..... 5 minutes is a bit too long. Lose a minute in there somewhere. 4 minutes or less is the perfect length for a song like this. You have to ask yourself....What can be cut out that doesn't affect the song in any major way? Me? I'd cut the bridge and everything that follows it. Simply go back and tag the last line.... "Let's try sincerity" twice.... to a 4 note slow down held chord ending. Puts you under 4 minutes, and man...I think that would be an easy, easy song to place in a movie with that arrangement. Of course, if you have no intent to try to place the song, it's perfect at 5+ minutes.

But Greg.... man, all the nits and personal opinions aside..... I am constantly being blown away by the caliber of your writing skills..... every time I hear one of your songs, I think... man that's going to be a hard one for him to top..... then you come out with the next one and I'm blown away all over again. Any number of your songs could easily be the theme song to a movie.... or at the very least, be placed in a very prominent scene.

Superbly done.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 04/13/16 03:45 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Greg and Janice...

This is exquisite. In SO many ways.

The writing here is top-tier. I'll say the same thing you said to me recently - if I were to quote the good stuff, I would copy the entire thing. No lie. Every line in this song is the type I hear and say "I wish I had written that". Cannot hear a song like this and not think "Diane Warren"... The words alone would be enough - but the melody is every bit a match for them... This is real songwriting talent.

The production is your best ever, I think. Just what the song needs. Presenting the song and the singer, never getting in the way - perfectly supportive.

Janice - everything you do is praise-worthy... this might be the best ever. I can't imagine ANYONE singing this better. It's just...so...right!

You both have out-done yourselves.

Truly stunning.

In a just world Janice would be a star. Greg would be a famous singer-songwriter. (And they would both still call me a friend...)

floyd

(it is nice of Greg to thank me - so very nicely - but make no mistake - this is all about Greg's song and production and Janice's beautiful vocal - I just lend an ear now and again.)

I am humbled and overwhelmed by your comments. You have played a huge role in encouraging me over the last few years to try new vocal ventures and I'm very grateful for that. Bud will tell you that reading this put a big smile on my face. Thank you!!

Janice

Originally Posted By: Rob4580
Outstanding song.Great words. Well sung as always Janice.
Rob

Thanks Rob for listening and commenting!

Janice

User Showcase
G
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
G
Thanks R and AM! You may be right about the balance of volumes. I was so thrilled with Janice's vocal, I wanted to hear every detail! Take care. Greg

User Showcase
G
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
G
Thanks so much for the kind words David! You'v been posting some great stuff lately! Take care. Greg

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rsdean
Greg / Janice / Floyd,

This is an absolutely stunning piece - outstanding performance by Janice. Great work all!

Bob

Thank you Bob!

Janice

Originally Posted By: gruverider
Top notch in every way! Writing, music, performance, mix.

Wonderfully done!

Hats off to everyone involved.

Thanks!

Janice

Originally Posted By: RnAM
Greg, Janice, Bud and Floyd,

Top notch song! Super vocals from Janice.
One very very very very small blush nit, the music, which is very beautiful, might have been a tiny bit louder.

Rob and Anne-Marie

Thanks y'all!

Janice

Originally Posted By: David Snyder
Beautiful song, great lyrics and awesome vocals!!

Thank you David!

JAnice

Originally Posted By: animarorecords
Hello, Greg, Janice & Bud and floyd

Very beautiful song and very beautiful vocal.
It reminds me “A Song for You” of Leon Russell sung by Karen Carpenter.
Deeply impressed to my heart.
Thank you for sharing it with us.

Best Regards.

Shigeki Adachi

Thank you! I will listen to that song It was very kind of you to say that.

Janice

Originally Posted By: JosieC
Only one thing to say on this one WOW!

Thanks!

Originally Posted By: fgrittner
Excellent song, arrangement, and performance!!! I tip my hat to Greg, Janice, Floyd, et al. I like the cello part--simple but effective.

Thank you and everybody that commented. I deeply appreciate it.

Janice

User Showcase
Expert
Expert

Wow! One the best songs I heard in the last time (including songs from the hit)
So great work guys. Greg the music is beautiful and Janice the voice is beautiful

Sergio

Sergio
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MikeK
Absolutely fantastic! Her vocals are perfect! Adele like (I hope she takes no offense) LOL!

What a beautiful tune! Great stuff!

Mike, I am HUGELY flattered to be even mentioned in the same post as Adele. That is so nice of you.

Janice

Originally Posted By: Scottt709
Beautiful song Greg. Awesome vocal Janice and excellent production vocal.

Thank you Scott. I do appreciate you taking the time to listen and comment.

Originally Posted By: dani48
Hi, Greg, Bud & Janice & Floyd !

With my limited vocabulary
I can´t find such superlatives
that this masterpiece would
require ! This is just great
in every way ! It is my
Gregfav from now on !

Congrats to everyone involved
the end result is a masterpiece
a rare jewel for us to cherish !

Cheers
Dani W

Dani, thank you so much. Greg invited me in on a real treasure that he wrote!!

Janice

Originally Posted By: dga
Greg, Janice, Bud and Floyd,

An absolutely gorgeous sounding song, well written,performed, and produced.

Thanks!!!

Janice

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
WOW INCREDIBLE SONG!!!!! Janice, What a Voice! You could sing the newspaper and make me smile!!!!!!!

User Showcase
G
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
G
Thanks Shigecki! Never heard "A song for you". I'll have to check it out. You're posting some great stuff! Take care. Greg

User Showcase
G
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
G
THanks Joanne! Your kind words are much appreciated! Take care. Greg

User Showcase
G
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
G
Thanks for the nice comments Fred! I really love cello. This is a beautifully sampled virtual instrument. I just have not spent enough time yet to get the best out of it. Really enjoying your 52 song project! Take care. Greg

User Showcase
G
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
G
THanks Mike! Yes, Janice did pretty much nail it!! Take care. Greg

Scott C #346267 04/20/16 08:09 AM
User Showcase
G
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
G
THanks Scott! Really appreciate your very kind words! Take care. Greg

User Showcase
G
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
G
Thanks so much Dani! Glad to see you back as an active participant on the forum!! Take care. Greg

User Showcase
G
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
G
Thanks dga! Your very kind comments are very much appreciated! Take care. Greg

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: 44kfl
Greg, a great write.
Janice, fantastic and beautiful vocals.

Originally Posted By: Trygve Larsen
Wow ! What a crystal-clear sound of a beautiful song and and such a great vocal ! Great all the way Greg and team !

Thank y'all! It was a lot of fun and what song to be handed to sing by Greg. It was like singing an Eagles song.

Janice

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
I just saw this... and had a listen. (or two or twenty....)

I really like this. Yup....lots of good comments that cover it so well.... excellent writing skills. Yup, like someone else said.... if I was to quote the good lines, I'd have to copy the entire song. Such insightful observations on the relationship between two people and put into words perfectly.

Of course Janice translates it to song so very well.

Excellent job on this to the both of you.

Nits and other things that are more personal taste than crits:

I wasn't as big of a fan of the backing tracks as I was the song itself and the vocals. ( a simple matter of personal taste vs any other legitimate reason) They were good and worked fairly well, as they had a superb song... a classic example of how the tracks don't really matter as much when the song is stellar. Don't get me wrong...I know you spent a lot of time on this and the work is good.

IMHO,
An acoustic piano would have been my choice for keys.
The cello may have been a fine sounding sample, but it was probably used a bit too much. Toward the end I was hating on that cello because it really started to sound like a cheesy synth.
Drums.... there were a number of places I thought.... shut those drums off, heck why are there even drums in this part? ..... this is the kind of song where, if the tracks are done right.... no drums would be needed at all. The drums in fact gave a certain "plodding along" feel to this otherwise stellar song.
A nice turn around towards the end, moving into a full blown, but appropriate band with electric guitars, B3, steel, would have been interesting for the final choruses as another possible option.
The fade didn't work for me, and fades rarely do. A nice slow down ending to a held chord would have been the perfect ending.

Length.... I know I'll catch some grief on this, but I'm never one to hesitate to step into it..... 5 minutes is a bit too long. Lose a minute in there somewhere. 4 minutes or less is the perfect length for a song like this. You have to ask yourself....What can be cut out that doesn't affect the song in any major way? Me? I'd cut the bridge and everything that follows it. Simply go back and tag the last line.... "Let's try sincerity" twice.... to a 4 note slow down held chord ending. Puts you under 4 minutes, and man...I think that would be an easy, easy song to place in a movie with that arrangement. Of course, if you have no intent to try to place the song, it's perfect at 5+ minutes.

But Greg.... man, all the nits and personal opinions aside..... I am constantly being blown away by the caliber of your writing skills..... every time I hear one of your songs, I think... man that's going to be a hard one for him to top..... then you come out with the next one and I'm blown away all over again. Any number of your songs could easily be the theme song to a movie.... or at the very least, be placed in a very prominent scene.

Superbly done.

Originally Posted By: Sergio Guarneri

Wow! One the best songs I heard in the last time (including songs from the hit)
So great work guys. Greg the music is beautiful and Janice the voice is beautiful

Sergio

Originally Posted By: Tommyc
WOW INCREDIBLE SONG!!!!! Janice, What a Voice! You could sing the newspaper and make me smile!!!!!!!

Hey guys, thanks so much for mentioning my vocal. I really appreciate it and also the opportunity Greg gave me to sing this wonderful song.

Janice

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,729
Posts736,650
Members38,558
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
CCCreator, Juha, davyowdoo, Rogee, John Dharmawan
38,558 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200