Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
RealBand
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Imported an MP3. Went to bar 131. Selected from bar 131 to the end. Changed the pitch down a 1/2 step. Saved it out using Save once, Save As another time, render another time, export... every way to get a file OUT of RB. RB confirmed the save every time.

When I went to play the file in an MP3 player, there was no file.

I have done this MANY times to use RB as a key changer. It worked every time. I have also loaded MP3 files and added horn section on 4 tracks, and rendered them out. Worked every time. Before anybody tells me that RB won't do key changes and such, refer to that last thought. I have done this many times before to drop a key a half step to learn it in the key in which the band will perform it. Once data is inside of RB, RB can not determine if it is an MP3 or not. A song is just 0s and 1s to RB. RB can't think and determine things.

Oh, let me mention, it worked every time on 2014. And on 2013 before that.

If my recourse is to reload 2014 and live with it, so be it, but I will also expect PG to refund my $300 I paid for this software that DOES NOT WORK and allow me to return the hard drive in 2 or more pieces, because if I can't use it, I will cut it up with an angle grinder.

PS. I rebooted, restarted RB, imported the file, found the spot where I needed to make the key change, did the 1/2 step change, replayed the song from 2 measures before that spot. It did NOT do the 1/2 step change, and when I hit the stop on the transport, it crashed again.

Good job, PG!!

I also see no option to save as a compressed file, only as WAV files. I used to be able to render out to MP3 @128. Now I can't do that, which is apparently my problem. Did they remove some codecs or something?

The end result is that I had to save was a WAV, transfer it to another computer, load it into Adobe Audition and save it as an MP3. WHY should I have to do this?

Here is the save window after selecting "Merge tracks to compressed file", where I should get an option to save as an MP3. You see my only choice is WAV.

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
MP3 export codecs were never included in RB .. ever. So they didn't remove any codecs.
It uses only the OS installed codecs, if that helps. If the codec ain't registered in the OS RB will not see it.

Your 'Stop Transport = [crash]' problem needs to be addressed; again I suggest a Chat/Remote session..

I hate to say it, but you seem to be the one person with this issue and it seems to be the source of a lot of grief. It would P* me off like it is you, too, if it happened here .. seems to be a common issue in your posts that is yet unresolved.

FWIW, I'm sure PGMusic will refund if it doesn't work (not sure if there is a number of pieces limit), but I'm also hedging that they could fix it with a remote session..

I feel for ya, even considering the state you claim to be from ..

[edit]
On my work computer I also have to export as WAV and use Audition to get an MP3, but that is because my work computer has minimal MP3 codecs installed.

Again; RB uses only MP3 codecs installed/registered in the OS. I hope that once the Fraunhofer MP3 license/patent/copyright expires (I think next month!) PGMusic will include codecs for MP3, but in the latest version that I have they do not.
[/edit]

Last edited by rharv; 06/05/16 10:36 AM.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Oh, 1 more thing; RB will want to Merge to a (temp) Wav file first, then convert to the compressed format.

Form your screen shot:
Try clicking OK and let it do its thing.
Once it merges to WAV it asks for the compressed format.

My gripe with this is that it leaves a 0KB size WAV file in the RB folder.
It doesn't take space but messes with the file list.

RealBand
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
As an FYI..... The screenshot included where there was no MP3 option was taken AFTER the most recent CODEC package I could find was installed. I have been saving to MP3 for years with RB. Suddenly I can't.

Last edited by eddie1261; 06/05/16 10:43 AM.

2. Send it to us.
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
See my additional post above.
RB will always want to merge to WAV first then it will ask for the conversion format to compressed file ..
yeah it has caught me before too.
Let it merge to WAV first, then it will offer conversion options.
Once I let it merge to WAV I get the Fraunhofer and Lame MP3 options offered below.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
MP3Options.jpg (18.96 KB, 176 downloads)
Last edited by rharv; 06/05/16 11:02 AM.

RealBand
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Oh, I also now get a weird box that I did not see in previous versions where I get asked for file format (MP3 is the only option) and below it is an "Attributes" box, where I assume they would want sample rate IF the box had options. It does not. The pulldown arrow shows me nothing to choose. I save it as MP3 with no attributes, the RB main screen says "Save as MP3 completed", and there is no file. Anywhere. I did a search for *.mp3 on both of my drives and only the original that I was changing shows up.

At first support said if I went to Windows 7 everything would be peachy. Well, kicking and screaming, I spent an afternoon doing that. Noting what I had to reinstall, moving my song files that were in progress over to the D: drive, etc... general prep stuff. Formatted C: and installed Windows 7. Loaded Chrome from the internet, Adobe Audition (which has since been removed) and RB 2016 Everything (doesn't work) Pak. Loaded a song, and the crashing began. I keep reminding anybody who will listen that the same computer, thus the same CPU, the same RAM, the same hard drives.... everything the same, ran fine with 2014. Given all of those variables, the issue MUST be with the software. Nothing else crashes. Sound from everywhere (Pandora, streaming TV, youtube videos....) plays just fine. Focusrite has not made a driver change since like 2013 so it is the latest (and to be sure, since everybody immediately drops the driver buzzword on anybody who has an issue despite not really knowing what a driver is and does, I downloaded it again from Focusrite). Everything is the same. I am like Sheldon Cooper. If "same" works, keep "same' until it doesn't. Then change. I knew before I wasted that afternoon upgrading to Windows 7 that the upgrade wouldn't fix the problem. I just want somebody at PG to OWN this!! Say "Yes. The problem is in our software. Sorry. We'll send you a new one to try." but nobody owns anything anymore. tech support everywhere in the world is now a script that everybody reads which includes a section on how to point the finger anywhere but wherever they are.

And my mantra continues. Just like every cookie in a package of Oreo cookies is the same as the one in front of it and the one behind it, software is supposed to be like that. There can't be one "cookie" that tastes or looks different than the others. Hence the term "cookie cutter software". I have never seen "MS Office for Eddie's computer" on a shelf.

2. Send it to us.
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Actually I'm having similar issues (but mine might be short between headsets)?

I don't save as MP3, often and when I do it's in other applications (Sonar, dedciated 3rd party MP3 apps, Audacity, etc.) but was looking at this to see if I could replicate along with Eddie:

Win 7 64, using LAME encoder (current - LAME for Audacity) and independent of:

- audio settings (MME, ASIO4ALL, FW410 ASIO;
- drive or path saved to - RB or PT (on non boot driver), User/temp file locations on boot drive, other paths, etc.); or
- how save (export button in PT, save or Save as ...

in all three programs: PTPA 2014 (1), PTPA 2016 (4) or RB 2016 (7) assuming it doesn't crash (and it usually does after second or third try)

I get the following error btu only after it takes a few seconds and shows it processing something and has the processing progression bar filling in, and says it is converting audio file TEMP123.wav then I get the the error:

"Cannot get Steam size"

(as expected it does create an empty MP3 with correct title)

all 3 programs do "Save" and "Save As" (SEQ obviously), WAV, WMA

Larry

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
I just launched RB and did a 'Merge to Compressed File' on a huge SEQ file I have (500 meg) using latest version
It asked for a WAV file name
(I clicked OK)
RB did its merge routine ..
It then asked for a compressed file format/attributes (screen shot below).
On my system LAME mp3 and Fraunhofer mp3 each have their own slot in the Format drop down (example image of this posted in earlier post in this thread; LAME is labeled as such and MPEG-Layer3 is the Fraunhofer codec installed on the OS)
Does yours not do this?

If so I suspect changing back to W7 lost your MP3 codecs ..
I'm just trying to help.

Once gain; if the selected MP3 codec is not installed to the OS, RB will fail (and possibly crash)

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
MP3codecsvariables.jpg (65.24 KB, 171 downloads)
Last edited by rharv; 06/05/16 11:32 AM.

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
REAPER crazy

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Yeah, Reaper .. because they are not in US and do not need to honor the US Fraunhofer patent.

I get why PGMusic hasn't gone native MP3 support yet. Hopefully they will soon.
For US MP3 users, many are technically in violation of MP3 codec use .. but not for long. And it probably wouldn't pay for Fraunhofer to pursue current MP3 users and try to sort though which have Apple mp3 (or other legit licenses) and which don't.
It's just one of those weird patent/copyright things that will be safely ending soon.

WIKIPEDIA:
An exception is the United States, where patents filed prior to 8 June 1995 expire 17 years after the publication date of the patent, but application extensions make it possible for a patent to issue much later than normally expected (see submarine patents). The various MP3-related patents expire on dates ranging from 2007 to 2017 in the U.S.[62] Patents filed for anything disclosed in ISO CD 11172 a year or more after its publication are questionable. If only the known MP3 patents filed by December 1992 are considered, then MP3 decoding has been patent-free in the US since 22 September 2015 when U.S. Patent 5,812,672 expired which had a PCT filing in October 1992.[63][64][65] If the longest-running patent mentioned in the aforementioned references is taken as a measure, then the MP3 technology will be patent-free in the United States on 30 December 2017 when U.S. Patent 5,703,999, held by the Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft[66] and administered by Technicolor,[67] expires.

I think this explains why PGMusic uses WMA format currently.

Last edited by rharv; 06/05/16 11:56 AM.

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
I've yet to go to Win10 so this is same old Win 7 as I've been using since 2011

Using current build RB 2106, and like you using Merge to Compressed file a simple stereo song (commercial CD song - nothing fancy, no plug-ins,etc.)

Same "Cannot get stream size" error - ??

EDIT
I could swear this worked at one time? I remember checking WELL before RB 2106. I remember testing to see if I had same issues as some other poster here had back then (not Eddie and Mac was still around). That was at least 2+ years ago.

I now remember doing a "Merge to Compressed file..." - it generated MP3, the MP3 played and I haven't looked at it again until NOW.

Besides a paid for MP3 license going back to Cakewalk Pro Audio 9 (that allows me to continue to use it even in SONAR Platinum) only other MP3 I've ever added was the LAME encoder that I installed (and have updated a few times since) after initially building this Win 7 machine.

(I also used Audacity/LAME in Win XP but this Win 7 is a new machine and was a new OEM clean OS install)

hmmm??

Rb1.jpg (349.57 KB, 190 downloads)
RB2.jpg (346.66 KB, 191 downloads)
RB3.jpg (348.03 KB, 191 downloads)
Last edited by Larry Kehl; 06/05/16 01:36 PM.

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
RealBand
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Larry what I remember from older days when stuff worked was that RB would only allow you to go as high as (I think) 192. Since when I DO dump to MP3 it is to mail stuff to people and I keep it as small as I can.

2. Send it to us.
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
From my experience, my true Fraunhofer codec only allows up to 128, but LAME goes much higher (as evidenced in my screen shot above).

Working with a file that is 449,450,714 bytes with 32 tracks and lots of plugins (maybe 50+ though I suspect that has nothing to do with the conversion results).

I converted just now using LAME at 320 kps (inside RB using latest build)
I got the anticipated result of a roughly 8 meg MP3 file
Like I said; I'm just trying to help, but I can't seem to replicate the issue.

Larry, I do notice your system is using User\AppData\Local\Temp .. I try to avoid that for the temp audio directory. I notice I seem to avoid a lot of problems by not using the default windows temp folder for audio work.
I try to not even use the OS drive if possible.
Also, try Save As or Consolidate Audio (and then saving) .. I've seen these simple tests solve many issues, likely disk related. Audio projects can have lots of markers and 'fragments' of audio trying to be stitched together.

tempAudioDrive.jpg (16.07 KB, 162 downloads)
Last edited by rharv; 06/05/16 02:43 PM.

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Have to admit I wish I hadn't looked at it this now, since I KNOW it DID work at one time (but now even PT 2014 has identical issues, glad I hadn't gotten around to uninstalling it. Although not much to it, PT like BIAB and RB doesn't clog up registry)

I will now burn hours/days/weeks chasing a STUPID problem (I rip and create MP3's using other tools) BUT I can't stand not knowing!

SOMETHING has changed on my system, I will track that POS down and shoot it when I find it!

Larry

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
I understand .. I'd want to solve it too. smile

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Rharv,

Appreciate it BUT notice above I said above I tried different drives and methods (save, save as, export, consolidate... all files (working, temp, final, scratch work, ..) on D drive (a non OS drive where all my MUSIC SW resides but I then ALSO tried all files on C (OS drive) for grins.

The pic was just my last attempt (after resetting defaults because I had changed so much other stuff so it defaulted to C drive on that snapshot)

I wont be back on this "problem" until Tuesday (my consulting job, the one that in my 3rd retirement allows me to buy additional new toys, without upsetting wife, interferes tomorrow - grin )

EDDIE - GOOD LUCK!!!

Larry

RealBand
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Hello Eddie,

You're correct, the Audio Compression dialog did look different in 2014. It had the same format and attribute drop-downs, but the window was smaller and also had an option for the user to save presets (presets were just a way for the user to select a format and attribute and save the combination. I'm not sure why that was removed. Maybe it should be restored).

Aside from that though, it functions the same way - RealBand only has the ability to use whatever codecs are available to the Windows Audio Compression Manager. We do not (and cannot) include any MP3 codecs with our software, we are not licensed to. Not even Microsoft can get around this... and that's why no MP3 codecs are showing up for you. Your copy of Windows may have a file l3codecp.acm, but it may be disabled. Your previous version of Windows may very well have included a working mp3 codec if it was fairly old.

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Andrew

I DO HAVE a codec but no matter what I get that "Cannot get stream size" what is that ???

Not saying the "can't create MP3's" to work is a PG issue, because at one time, in the not too distant past, using this SAME PC, these HDD's, with this WIN 7 64 OS I could do MP3's from PT/RB

If I had some idea what that error truly means (besides alluded to or implied - "can't find audio file," or "temp wav file missing," or temp scratch file issues) I might be able to track down my screw up

Thanks
Larry

EDIT (sentence cleanup - LOL)

Last edited by Larry Kehl; 06/06/16 03:43 PM.

RealBand
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Originally Posted By: Larry Kehl
I DO HAVE a codec but no matter what I get that "Cannot get stream size" what is that ???

Right, I wasn't addressing your problem at all in my previous reply. I can see in your screenshot that you do have an MP3 codec, and I don't know what that error means. But I'll do some searching...

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Guys, why does everybody get all twisted up with using MP3?? I just don't get it. I've been saving to WMA for years and years. According to several tech sites, the overall sound quality is very close with some giving it to WMA over MP3. There are very few players that can't play WMA and neither me or anybody I've emailed them to has had any problems whatsoever. The few times somebody simply MUST have an MP3 there's always Audacity.

Why keep tilting at that MP3 windmill if it keeps smacking you in the butt?

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,635
Posts735,281
Members38,522
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ely Bass, Barking, SYOTR, Bpnsrinu, DanyLevy
38,522 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 181