You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#358040 - 07/21/16 07:42 AM [User Showcase] Honky Tonk Of Higher Learning
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

My all-time favorite writers' night was Thurday nights at Douglas Corner Cafe.
They had a chart band ("The First Take Band"). Studio guys. Nashville Number charts.
If you were good at writing charts, you could get (hear) exactly what you wanted from the band.
The Nashville Number system is fairly simple to learn - and provides for all the band dynamics in very simple notation. It's quite cool...
Sort of like BIAB, but with live players, first take...

Steve and I were sitting there one night, discussing what a great education it was.
How your charts evolved (got better and better)...how we got to hear a full band production of your newly written songs... How we got to hear a seemingly endless stream of writers - from as-good-as-it-gets to very bad...

Steve said "It's like a honky tonk of higher learning!"
We immediately knew that was a song.
He wrote the title on a napkin and handed it to me.
I wrote this the next morning.
The following Thursday, it debuted - with a full band, of course.
Steve sang harmonies (he was an experienced demo singer - so one listen in the parking lot beforehand was all he needed).

Here is what it sounds like with my new band.

Style is _BOOGNO1.STY (NewOrleans Boogie Quartet[165RS])

RealTracks in style: 2149:Bass, Electric, NewOrleansBoogie Ev 165
RealTracks in style: 2150:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm NewOrleansBoogie Ev 165
MIDI SuperTracks in song: 2153:Piano, Rhythm NewOrleansBoogieKevin Ev 165
MIDI SuperTracks in song: 2154:Piano, Soloist NewOrleansBoogieKevin Ev 165
RealTracks in song: 658:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm TexasRockChop Ev 120 (A:sync)
RealTracks in song: 1733:Guitar, Electric, Soloist TexasBluesRockNRollBrent Ev 165
RealDrums in style: NewOrleansBoogie^01-a:Snare, HiHat , b:Snare, Ride

HONKY TONK OF HIGHER LEARNING

just because i don't have a fancy diploma
just because i never went to college
doesn't mean i can't make my way in this world
i've gained the necessary knowledge
me and the boys still worry about
the grades we might be earning
hanging out here in the hallowed halls
of the honky tonk of higher learning

floyd's learning how it feels to flunk out
with phyliss over by the jukebox
hannah's teaching harry how she breaks hearts
here in this school of hard knocks
rachel's reading randy the rules of rejection
it seldom seems to concern him
he's still hanging out here in the hallowed halls

this is where we learn the real lessons of life
   keep the midnight oil burning
   sink or swim get your studies in
   the honky tonk of higher learning

saturday nights it's social studies
your history comes back to haunt you
you think you've got some chemistry going with the waitress
statistics say she won't want you
do a little math, figure up your tab
the wheels of knowledge just keep turning

we're continuing our education
keep those neon beer signs burning

ain't never graduating from these hallowed halls
the honky tonk of higher learning

©steve vincent and floyd jane

Have a beer.
Keep working toward that diploma!
floyd

#358044 - 07/21/16 08:03 AM [User Showcase] Re: Honky Tonk Of Higher Learning [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: York, England
ROG Offline
Veteran

Loc: York, England
Hi Floyd.

Great track, inspired lyrics, wonderful band, excellent vocals.

Of course, I'm always gonna ask for the guitar solo turning up, but you already expect that.

Super mix, otherwise - that snare really cracks and the whole thing ROCKS from start to finish.

Cheers, ROG.

#358047 - 07/21/16 09:10 AM [User Showcase] Re: Honky Tonk Of Higher Learning [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
Pat Marr Offline
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
WOW! That...was...AWESOME!!!!!

Just FULL of clever rhymes, with a cadence every bit as snappy as the snare drum driving it all!

HIGH ENERGY from start to finish, all built around an over-the-top clever phrase (love the story about its origin!)

The honky-tonk piano really works well as a device that links the title to the music....

As usual, your command of metaphor is right on the money, and your real-world comparisons to education are all very clever... and you never miss a lick in your delivery... seamless delivery of one great line after another!

And of course, your ability to tweak the randomly generated output into something that sounds like a live band wailing it out is unparalleled!

There are lots of ways to weigh the merits of a song, and you typically nail them all.. but in this case I think you've pushed the cleverness to a new high... I bow to the master!

#358056 - 07/21/16 09:53 AM [User Showcase] Re: Honky Tonk Of Higher Learning [Re: floyd jane]
tommyad Offline
Veteran

My Alma Mater, The drum opening is killer. Sets the groove and never lets up. Great lyrics delivered with just the right phrasing. Perfect Mix as usual, although I agree with ROG the guitar solo could come up some. You got this old man moving, hope I don't pull something! Rocking Man!!! Tom

#358062 - 07/21/16 10:48 AM [User Showcase] Re: Honky Tonk Of Higher Learning [Re: floyd jane]
Robertkc Offline
Expert

Floyd,
Fantastic live sound to the band and great lyrics - love that second verse!
Listening to your vocals & quality of production is an education in itself.

Robert

#358090 - 07/21/16 01:37 PM [User Showcase] Re: Honky Tonk Of Higher Learning [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Cremona-Italy
Sergio Guarneri Online   content
Expert

Loc: Cremona-Italy

A great sound, very addictive.
Super instruments used.

Sergio

Sergio

#358107 - 07/21/16 02:43 PM [User Showcase] Re: Honky Tonk Of Higher Learning [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Middletown, PA.
44kfl Offline
Expert

Loc: Middletown, PA.
Just a joy to listen to, loved the energy, loved the piano solo!
Loved all the alliteration! loved the story about the song, loved that you put yerself (at least yer name) in the song. Loved that drum intro, there is a lot to like about this one.

Kenny

#358109 - 07/21/16 03:40 PM [User Showcase] Re: Honky Tonk Of Higher Learning [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: The Netherlands
RnAM Offline
Veteran

Loc: The Netherlands
Definitely lots of energy in this!
Professional from start to finish.

Rob

RnAM Homepage (completely restyled)
YouTube Channel

#358114 - 07/21/16 04:00 PM [User Showcase] Re: Honky Tonk Of Higher Learning [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Sydney Australia
PeterF Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sydney Australia
Floyd
Great set of lyrics really enjoyable.
Infectious song - (really liked the piano solo) top flight band & vocal.
Excellent work all round.

#358117 - 07/21/16 04:10 PM [User Showcase] Re: Honky Tonk Of Higher Learning [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Hamlin NY
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
My Alma Mater also!

Great vibe, super vocal, fantastic lyrics and harmonies.

This is a keeper.

64 bit Win 10 Pro - the latest BiaB and RB - Roland Octa-Capture audio interface - a ton of software and some hardware.

#358138 - 07/21/16 09:50 PM [User Showcase] Re: Honky Tonk Of Higher Learning [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Wisconsin
critter Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Wisconsin
Now that's a dancing tune, very well put together. Lyrics and band top notch as always.
Steve

#358160 - 07/22/16 02:57 AM [User Showcase] Re: Honky Tonk Of Higher Learning [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Cape Town
PaddyG Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Cape Town

Floyd,

How on earth do you manage to get a honky tonk piano to sound like Jerry Lee Lewis had come to session for you
Great song, great storyline, huge fun. You can hear in every note that you were really enjoying singing this one.

Paddy G

#358164 - 07/22/16 04:36 AM [User Showcase] Re: Honky Tonk Of Higher Learning [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: South Carolina
Charlie Fogle Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Carolina
Great high energy tune. This is a good write. Enjoyed my listen.

#358180 - 07/22/16 06:28 AM [User Showcase] Re: Honky Tonk Of Higher Learning [Re: ROG]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: ROG
Hi Floyd.

Great track, inspired lyrics, wonderful band, excellent vocals.

Of course, I'm always gonna ask for the guitar solo turning up, but you already expect that.

Super mix, otherwise - that snare really cracks and the whole thing ROCKS from start to finish.

Cheers, ROG.

Thanks, ROG. I'll take a look tonight or tomorrow and see about bringing that guitar up some...

#358181 - 07/22/16 06:52 AM [User Showcase] Re: Honky Tonk Of Higher Learning [Re: floyd jane]
P Glaser Offline
Enthusiast

Very well done! Great lyrics and nice mix.

BIAB 2018
Intel i7-4790K, Win7 Pro, 16GB Ram
1TB OS, 2TB Audio, 1TB Samples
Focusrite Scarlett 6i6
Cakewalk by Bandlab, 64 bit

#358182 - 07/22/16 06:53 AM [User Showcase] Re: Honky Tonk Of Higher Learning [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
boehm Offline
Veteran

Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
Hi Floyd,

very energetic and a real toe tapper.
Great lyrics again. Very imaginative.
Production and delivery outstanding as always.
In a nutshell: a typical Floyd manufacture.
Thanks a lot for the background story.

Guenter

#358197 - 07/22/16 10:25 AM [User Showcase] Re: Honky Tonk Of Higher Learning [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Davis, CA
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Loc: Davis, CA
saturday nights it's social studies
your history comes back to haunt you
you think you've got some chemistry going with the waitress
statistics say she won't want you

Just one of my favorite parts of an extremely fun and clever lyric!! Floyd, I don't know how, after hearing dozens of your songs, I can come away feeling even more impressed than I was anticipating. This is really, really sharply written and performed. Another gem!! And the drums have a kick-[*****] sound. Great stuff AGAIN!! Take care. Greg

#358236 - 07/23/16 04:03 AM [User Showcase] Re: Honky Tonk Of Higher Learning [Re: floyd jane]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

Very cool.... what a fun song.

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music

#358264 - 07/23/16 08:08 AM [User Showcase] Re: Honky Tonk Of Higher Learning [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: North Carolina
David Snyder Online   happy
Veteran

Loc: North Carolina
Floyd,

This is really, really fun!

www.davidsnydermusic.com
www.reverbnation.com/davidpsnyder
www.soundcloud.com/davidsnyderchannel
www.songtradr.com/user/profile/david.snyder

#358273 - 07/23/16 08:36 AM [User Showcase] Re: Honky Tonk Of Higher Learning [Re: tommyad]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Pat Marr
WOW! That...was...AWESOME!!!!!

Just FULL of clever rhymes, with a cadence every bit as snappy as the snare drum driving it all!

HIGH ENERGY from start to finish, all built around an over-the-top clever phrase (love the story about its origin!)

The honky-tonk piano really works well as a device that links the title to the music....

As usual, your command of metaphor is right on the money, and your real-world comparisons to education are all very clever... and you never miss a lick in your delivery... seamless delivery of one great line after another!

And of course, your ability to tweak the randomly generated output into something that sounds like a live band wailing it out is unparalleled!

There are lots of ways to weigh the merits of a song, and you typically nail them all.. but in this case I think you've pushed the cleverness to a new high... I bow to the master!

Well, heck, Pat... that's just too nice... smile smile smile

Originally Posted By: tommyad
My Alma Mater, The drum opening is killer. Sets the groove and never lets up. Great lyrics delivered with just the right phrasing. Perfect Mix as usual, although I agree with ROG the guitar solo could come up some. You got this old man moving, hope I don't pull something! Rocking Man!!! Tom

Thanks, Tom... I have done another mix with the guitar solo up, but then as I was about to upload it, I realized Soundcloud would wipe all the comments (since I don't have the pro level)... so, I'm thinkin'...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
RealBand 2019 Online and PDF Manuals Available!

Visit our Online Manuals support page for access to the latest RealBand 2019 for Windows program manuals!

RealBand 2019 for Windows User's Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download
RealBand 2019 for Windows New Features Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download

RealBand 2019 is included in every purchase of Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows! Don't forget.... We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Upgrade purchases until December 31, 2018 - save over 40% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade! Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Online and PDF Manuals Available!

Visit our Online Manuals support page for access to the latest Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows program manuals!

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows User's Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download
Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade Manual: Online Manual | PDF Download

Don't forget.... We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Upgrade purchases until December 31, 2018 - save over 40% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade! Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 on a USB 3.0 Hard Drive - Speed Thrills!

We're excited to say that all Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows UltraPAK and UltraPAK+ orders now ship on a USB 3.0 hard drive!

What does this mean? Faster hard drive transfer rates will enhance the program operations (faster time to generate tracks, reduced audio artifacts) and offer faster transfer speeds (typically up to 3x faster)!

It's a great time to order your UltraPAK or UltraPAK+ Upgrade... they're ON SALE until December 31st!

Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows® New Features!

Our "Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows®! New Features, RealTracks, and other content!" video is now ready! Get to know all about the newest features in Band-in-a-Box® 2019: Click here to watch...

We have listed a table of contents for this video, you'll see it within the YouTube video description, or by visiting this forum post.

RealBand 2019 - A New Look!

Have you opened up your RealBand 2019 yet? You may notice that we've given it a fresh new look! In fact, there are now 3 different looks to RealBand.

See for yourself! Within the program, visit Options | Icon Set and choose from: Classic, Modern 1, or Modern 2.

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows - Choosing to Run 64-bit or 32-bit

We heard you! With the release of Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows we've included the BRAND NEW 64-bit version of Band-in-a-Box®, which works well with the latest plugins and 64-bit OS features! Because not everyone has a 64-bit computer, we include both the 64-bit and 32-bit versions with your purchase - you choose which one to use!

By default, when you install your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows the 32-bit version will run.

The steps to run the 64-bit version are simple! Just head to your "bb" folder and choose the "bbw64" icon - you'll notice that the Band-in-a-Box® "splash screen" will state "64-bit" as the program opens.
(and if you open the 32-bit version, the "splash screen" will state "32-bit")

Still not certain which version you're running? Within the program, go to Help | About Band-in-a-Box - it'll either state:

Band-in-a-Box® for Windows
Version 2019 (604)
<--- the number in brackets is the build number - this will change as new patch updates are released
64 bit application

or:

Band-in-a-Box® for Windows
Version 2019 (604)
<--- the number in brackets is the build number - this will change as new patch updates are released
32 bit application

We hope everyone who can is enjoying their Band-in-a-Box® 2019 64-bit version for Windows!

NEW! Style-style-style Additions and Enhancements in Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows!

With over 64 new features and enhancements in Band-in-a-Box® 2019, we've made sure to add to, enhance, and update some of the Style features within the program: StylePicker, StyleMaker, and Song Titles browser within the StylePicker!

StylePicker Enhancements:
-If the style list needs rebuild, it tells you that within the StylePicker, instead of a message that requires a response.
-The rebuild is faster than before by 75%. It takes 1/4 of the time now.
-While the style list is being rebuilt, you can see the progress inside the StylePicker.
-The style list can be filtered by a specific RealTracks/RealDrums/MIDI SuperTracks or RealTracks/MIDI SuperTracks in a certain number range.
-You can filter the style list by a specific Xtra Styles PAK.
-The dialog to select an Xtra Styles PAK has a button to take you to the PG Music website that shows information about Xtra Styles PAKs.
-The StylePicker can list all styles (including N/A styles) in the default display.
-The Set number display is improved, including sort by type and Xtra styles.

StyleMaker Improvements:

-The new MIDI velocity offset allows you to make styles with altered loudness for MIDI tracks.
-Styles can be saved with information like a memo, examples, genres, and more, which will be displayed in the StylePicker.
-You can import information from another style. This is useful when you are making a similar style.
-A style can have a huge number of RealTracks (up to 70!) because the StyleMaker now supports RealTracks multi/medley feature, which allows a single track to have up to 10 simultaneous playing of RealTracks.

Song Titles Browser Enhancement

-We’ve added 300 more song titles including requests from users, so there are now over 10,600 titles.
-The chord density filter is available, and it’s also displayed in the memo.
-The chord complexity filter is available.

Review all the new features of Band-in-a-Box® 2019 here.

Forum Stats
28427 Members
58 Forums
55197 Topics
459608 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
Justin P, thierry.inconnu, drolander, richardskelt, bennyrodrigues

28427 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Matt Finley 335
Pipeline 306