You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#359226 - 08/01/16 06:48 PM [User Showcase] New Song Post: SUMMER MOOD
Loc: Davis, CA
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Hello friends. The title says it all. More of a mood or vibe than a song per se. One day, late Friday afternoon, probably 6 weeks ago, I was pining for my love of Summer (my Summer mood). Summers used to be magical for me. However, now I live in a hot summer climate. Days are long, hot, and dry. They all run together, making me long for fall, my current favorite time of year. However, the emotion of the summer mood still lives within me. I feel like I captured it for myself in this song. This is kind of a Michael Franks vibe. I'm a big fan, and particularly loved his music when I loved summer. Hope you enjoy it for what it is. Comments always encouraged. Take care. Greg

https://soundcloud.com/gjohnson-2/summermood

SUMMER MOOD

It’s hard to believe
That something so simple
Could be something so good

A little brush on my sleeve
One sly little wink
It’s all understood

She puts me in a summer mood
It’s a little shift in the attitude
Pushes my worries a million miles away
A ride through the jungle on a midnight train
The soft caress of a gentle rain
And I know she is where I need to stay

Now some men may need
To master philosophy like Descartes
But I must concede
I need not look deeper than my own heart
Cause that’s where it starts

She puts me….

It’s not quintessential love
It’s more existential love
I feel the potential of
The magic in each new day

She puts me…

Edited by Greg Johnson (08/01/16 07:24 PM)

#359233 - 08/01/16 11:49 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song Post: SUMMER MOOD [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: wales
gibson Offline
Veteran

Loc: wales
Greg,
beautiful.
Reminds me of summer anywhere else but here at the moment as it hasn't stopped raining for 2 days.
I like your "breathless" vocals and they make this wonderful verse so incredible.
Quote:
I feel the potential of

Bit of an abrupt ending sadly, I think it needs a slow fade on the last aah
But I do like the handling noises at the beginning, they lead perfectly to the cowbell and the lovely song.

It needed a few listens as I stared out the window at the rain hammering down.

great stuff

Alyn

My story

#359242 - 08/02/16 03:00 AM [User Showcase] Re: New Song Post: SUMMER MOOD [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: Sydney Australia
PeterF Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sydney Australia
Greg,
Very, very nice - great vocal and loved the backing vocals. Great choice of instruments & I picked up the Michael Franks vibe.
Just superb. Going back for more.

Loved the album Sleeping Gypsy - saw Michael Franks when he came to Australia - The album Michael Franks with Crossfire Live, was recorded at the 1980 concert in Sydney.

#359252 - 08/02/16 05:08 AM [User Showcase] Re: New Song Post: SUMMER MOOD [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: Florida
90 dB Offline
Veteran

"Descartes"??????????

Man, I love this. The vibe. The flute. The shaker. The literacy.

Goes very well with a piña colada under the palm trees. cool

Regards,

Bob

#359254 - 08/02/16 05:50 AM [User Showcase] Re: New Song Post: SUMMER MOOD [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: Cape Town
PaddyG Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Cape Town

Greg,

Every comment on this song prior to mine, has left me staring at my keyboard literally blank they have said it all.. Please accept my admiration for it with this,,, Mmmmm ‘FABULOUSE’

Paddy G

#359258 - 08/02/16 07:35 AM [User Showcase] Re: New Song Post: SUMMER MOOD [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
Pat Marr Offline
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
Hi Greg,

good to hear a new tune from you!
I liked a lot about this song... some interesting rhymes (I especially liked "descartes" + "heart"

If your goal was to create a mood, you hit a home run! Very relaxing. The flute, background vocals and general instrumentation of the song really evoke nostalgic memories from Bacharach songs from the 60s and 70s.

I agree with Alyn the ending seemed a bit abrupt. You can't end a mellow mood suddenly. You have to "ease out"

VERY easy song to listen to! Addicting, even!

#359289 - 08/02/16 02:09 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song Post: SUMMER MOOD [Re: Greg Johnson]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Everything about this is magic. Just what music ought to be. It carries you away...

"It’s not quintessential love
I feel the potential of
The magic in each new day"

Magic.

"She puts me in a summer mood
It’s a little shift in the attitude"

Magic.

Beautifully produced. The right touches of the right instruments. Cool backing vocals. What a vocal!

One of your best, in all regards (among so many top tunes). A true joy to listen to.

floyd

#359308 - 08/02/16 04:56 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song Post: SUMMER MOOD [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: Hamlin NY
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
Greg, this is your best to date. Super smooth vibe, great singing and outstanding lyrics did put me in a summer mood. Your instrumentation and mix are spot on.

This is a keeper.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB and RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software and some hardware.

#359311 - 08/02/16 05:21 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song Post: SUMMER MOOD [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: The Netherlands
RnAM Offline
Veteran

Loc: The Netherlands
Greg,

This definitely captures that summer feeling!
A nice and very well balanced piece of music.
Well up to your professional high standard!

Rob & Anne-Marie

RnAM Homepage (completely restyled)
YouTube Channel

#359329 - 08/02/16 08:03 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song Post: SUMMER MOOD [Re: Greg Johnson]
Robertkc Offline
Veteran

Greg,
I have to agree " smooth" sums it up - I especially enjoy the vibes and those restrained harmony voices. Excellent production to achieve your sound.

Robert

#359342 - 08/03/16 12:45 AM [User Showcase] Re: New Song Post: SUMMER MOOD [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: Helsinki, Finland
dani48 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Helsinki, Finland
Hi, Greg !:))

This is a wonderful tune
so very beautifully sung
and produced ! One of your
absolute best Greg !

Gets one in summer mood
for sure !:))

Cheers
Dani

#359362 - 08/03/16 05:39 AM [User Showcase] Re: New Song Post: SUMMER MOOD [Re: Greg Johnson]
tommyad Offline
Veteran

Greg, There is a lot to love here. A beautifully crafted write, production and performance. The vibe is captured very well and resonates throughout the entire listen. Extremely well done! Tom

#359384 - 08/03/16 07:44 AM [User Showcase] Re: New Song Post: SUMMER MOOD [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
boehm Offline
Veteran

Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
Hi Greg,

beautiful lyrics, arrangement, vocals and
background vocals. Overall beautiful.

Guenter

#359510 - 08/04/16 01:30 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song Post: SUMMER MOOD [Re: gibson]
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: gibson
Greg,
beautiful.
Reminds me of summer anywhere else but here at the moment as it hasn't stopped raining for 2 days.
I like your "breathless" vocals and they make this wonderful verse so incredible.
Quote:
I feel the potential of

Bit of an abrupt ending sadly, I think it needs a slow fade on the last aah
But I do like the handling noises at the beginning, they lead perfectly to the cowbell and the lovely song.

It needed a few listens as I stared out the window at the rain hammering down.

great stuff

Alyn

Thanks so much Alyn, and again WELCOME BACK!! Great to see you here. Sounds like it's been gloomy on your side of the pond. Some gloominess would be welcome here just about now. You're right on the end-gotta fix that! Take care. Greg

#359511 - 08/04/16 01:32 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song Post: SUMMER MOOD [Re: PeterF]
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: PeterF
Greg,
Very, very nice - great vocal and loved the backing vocals. Great choice of instruments & I picked up the Michael Franks vibe.
Just superb. Going back for more.

Loved the album Sleeping Gypsy - saw Michael Franks when he came to Australia - The album Michael Franks with Crossfire Live, was recorded at the 1980 concert in Sydney.

Thanks Peter! Yeah, I've always loved Michael Franks. Got turned on to Blue Pacific (great album) and went on to become a huge fan. I'll have to check out the Crossfire thing. Take care. Greg

#359564 - 08/04/16 07:49 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song Post: SUMMER MOOD [Re: Greg Johnson]
Sundance Offline
Veteran

Greg,

You ol' romantic - you have outdone yourself again. And this time you have absolutely stolen my female heart with Summer Mood. I love it love it love it! EVERYTHING about it. It's soooo romantic - such wonderful vivid and thoughtful lyrics, beautiful melody/arrangement, close intimate vocal and those sweet harmonies.

Guess it's fairly obvious this is my new fav. grin

Well done.

#359653 - 08/05/16 11:13 AM [User Showcase] Re: New Song Post: SUMMER MOOD [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: Finland
jannesan Offline
Expert

Loc: Finland
Bossa feel really fills the song with summer mood smile Nice chording, flute and on the top your beautiful soft voice give the right melancholy magic for these rainy days here smile

Janne

#359702 - 08/05/16 03:51 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song Post: SUMMER MOOD [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: Woodstock, NY
rsdean Offline
Veteran

Loc: Woodstock, NY
Greg,

For me, this is one of your best. The vocal and arrangement is outstanding - loved it!

Bob

#360161 - 08/09/16 12:55 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song Post: SUMMER MOOD [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Scott C Offline
Veteran

Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Beautiful tune Greg. Loved the vocal and lyric

Edited by Scottt709 (08/09/16 12:55 PM)

#360275 - 08/10/16 08:56 AM [User Showcase] Re: New Song Post: SUMMER MOOD [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: Middletown, PA.
44kfl Offline
Veteran

Loc: Middletown, PA.
Very nicely done, great song.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

PG Music News
RealBand 2020 for Windows Updated Harmonies Feature!

The latest RealBand 2020 Update includes enhancements to the harmonies feature, improvements for audio recording, and more!

Click here to review and download this free update patch (build 4).

Video: Band-in-a-Box® - Xtra Styles PAK 9 Overview & Demos

Xtra Styles PAK 9 includes 200 NEW RealStyles for Rock-Pop, Jazz, Country, and Folk & Beyond!

There are 50 new RealStyles for each genre, with MultiStyles included in each genre too!

Learn more about loading and using Xtra Styles PAK 9 in Band-in-a-Box® 2020 and listen to the demos for the 200 new RealStyles in Xtra Styles PAK 9 with our latest video: Band-in-a-Box® - Xtra Styles PAK 9: Overview & Demos.

Add Xtra Styles PAK 9 to your band for just $29 until June 30th! Order here.

Windows user? Click here for Windows purchase links and details.

PowerTracks Pro Audio 2020 Updated!

PowerTracks Pro Audio 2020 has been updated with a small Free Update Patch that can be downloaded here.

Video: Band-in-a-Box® - Loops-with-Style PAK 2 Overview & Demos

Loops-with-Style PAK 2 is packed with 100 NEW Loops & 50 NEW Styles, including new gospel & folk categories!

Use these new Styles and Loops directly in your Band-in-a-Box® songs to access all their B substyle loops, or load these acidized loops directly into your DAW that supports acid info!

See how easy it is to load and use these Loops in Band-in-a-Box® 2020 and listen to the demos for these new Loops & Styles when you watch our latest video: Band-in-a-Box® - Loops-with-Style PAK 2 Overview & Demos.

Add Loops-with-Style PAK 2 today for just $19! Learn more and purchase here.

Haven't purchased Loops-with-Styles yet? Get the entire collection for only $29 when you bundle Loops-with-Style PAK 1 & Loops-with-Style PAK 2 for only $29! That's 100 Styles and 200 Loops for Band-in-a-Box® for just $29! Order now.

Mac user? Click here for Mac purchase links and details.

NEW Add-ons for Band-in-a-Box® 2020 - Xtra Styles PAK 9 & Loops-with-Style PAK 2!

We're delighted to be adding 200 GROUNDBREAKING RealStyles to the Band-in-a-Box® collection with Xtra Styles PAK 9!

Our new Rock-Pop additions include neo soul with vocals, classic ska with a horn section, a psychedelic sixties pop ballad, heavier action-scene cinematic metal, post-punk folk rock, six-substyle gospel pop MultiStyle with vocals, and more!

With the latest Jazz Xtra Styles, we've added everything from quarter-feel jazz blues to New Orleans Gospel to jazzy disco funk and gentle bossa folk pop, and more! We've also included a brand-new (huge!) ten-substyle "changes" jazz swing MultiStyle with three different soloist options!

The newest Country RealTracks are a real treat! We've fused folk and Americana instruments with the country sounds you know and love: ethereal and songwriter country ballads, a country rock march, country pop with layered cellos, a country soul groove, and much, much more! The included six-substyle summertime country pop MultiStyle will help you create your perfect summertime hit!

Plus, we've added to our Folk & Beyond collection with our Xtra Styles PAK 9 release! There are 50 fresh new styles, including a Cajun jaw harp boogie, cinematic folk with strings, a modern Celtic folk reel, a gentle three-guitar folk ballad, delta blues with shaker - the list goes on! Add Folk & Beyond 2 and you'll also receive a brand-new eight-part mountain folk MultiStyle!

There are 50 new RealStyles in each genre - get them ALL for only $29 until June 30th! Learn more, listen to demos and order here.

But wait... there's MORE!

We've also rolled out 50 NEW Styles and 100 NEW Loops in Loops-with-Style PAK 2!
Use these new Styles and Loops directly in your Band-in-a-Box® songs to access all their B substyle loops, or load these acidized loops directly into your DAW that supports acid info! Genres include Electronic, Funk, Hip Hop, Jazz, Pop, R&B, Rock, World, plus we're introducing two new genre categories - Gospel and Folk!

Add Loops-with-Style PAK 2 today for just $19! Learn more and purchase here.

Haven't purchased Loops-with-Styles yet? Get the entire collection for only $29 when you bundle Loops-with-Style PAK 1 & Loops-with-Style PAK 2 for only $29! That's 100 Styles and 200 Loops for Band-in-a-Box® for just $29! Order now.

Mac User? Click here for Mac details and purchase links.

Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows is Xtra Ready!

We never stop! The latest free patch update for Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows readies the program for the just-launched Xtra Styles PAK 9 (on sale until June 30th - learn more here)!

Update to build 721 and you'll see that we've improved the step-advancing notes display, updated the key command criteria for looping bars from the chordsheet, fixed email client integration, and more.

If you are a Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows user, you'll definitely want to update to the latest free patch update!

Learn more about Band-in-a-Box® 2020 build 721 for Windows and download it here.

#TBT Band-in-a-Box Finds!

I don't know about everyone here, but now that I've settled in to our "new normal" I've taken to rearranging and dusting off many things in order to keep busy and productive!

I'm picking up old hobbies, picking up clutter around the house, and as it turns out - finding forgotten picks!

We snagged these gems many, many, many years ago after The NAMM Show one winter. Check out the old Band-in-a-Box logo! Click here...

Have any of you come across something nostalgic like this these days? Let's see it!
(remember the first Audiophile version?!)

-Callie
Team Marketing

Forum Stats
32197 Members
65 Forums
64391 Topics
546019 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
danjo, Dero13, MusicMonster, claudemarcel, mfowler314

32197 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)