You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#360270 - 08/10/16 08:38 AM [User Showcase] Better Days
Loc: Middletown, PA.
44kfl Offline
Veteran

I had to go back to an older version of BIAB to find the instruments used for this song from a couple of years ago, thought I'd post it, hope that's ok, dig all that midi!

https://soundcloud.com/kfl44/better-days

Drums Nashville Even 8
Harmonica Background Pop 685
Everything else is midi

NYOUNG Country Style Midi

#360277 - 08/10/16 08:57 AM [User Showcase] Re: Better Days [Re: 44kfl]
Loc: wales
gibson Offline
Veteran

Loc: wales
Kenny,

I like this, had me singing along!

Ain't BIAB great!!!

Alyn

My story

#360309 - 08/10/16 11:52 AM [User Showcase] Re: Better Days [Re: 44kfl]
Loc: York, England
ROG Offline
Veteran

Loc: York, England
Hi Kenny.

Like Alyn, I was singing along straight away. In fact, I'm still singing the chorus as I'm typing.

I think the power of this song comes largely from it's simple, relaxed format. You feel immediately comfortable with it and by the time the chorus kicks in with those excellent harmony BVs, you're well and truly hooked.

Gotta listen to that again.

ROG.

#360319 - 08/10/16 01:09 PM [User Showcase] Re: Better Days [Re: 44kfl]
Loc: South Africa
JoanneCooper Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Africa
Hi Kenny
Very nice! I must say that I am starting to get more into midi these days. You have a little Eagles vibe going on here. Good job.

#360329 - 08/10/16 01:43 PM [User Showcase] Re: Better Days [Re: 44kfl]
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Kenny,

Always pleased to see a song from you!

This is so "comfortable". Easy, relaxed. Great sound. Your vocals always have "heart". Nice arrangement and mix...

This reminded me of Jackson Browne (Late For The Sky era)... better days...

Really enjoyed it...

fj

#360341 - 08/10/16 02:46 PM [User Showcase] Re: Better Days [Re: 44kfl]
Loc: Davis, CA
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Loc: Davis, CA
I’m gonna rise up in the morning
While the sun’s still breaking thru
Pack only the things I really need
Head out to highway 22

Stretch my eyes till I’m awake
Breathe deep while the airs still cool
And I’m thinking about the road ahead
But mostly about you

Kenny, you are a master of setting a scene!! This is just beautifully written. Perfect "band" for the song, and a great musical hook. You're a wonderful writer-I'm never disappointed!! Take care. Greg

#360391 - 08/11/16 03:04 AM [User Showcase] Re: Better Days [Re: 44kfl]
Loc: Ontario, Canada
BlueAttitude Offline
Veteran

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Nice vocals and harmonies, harmonica part is the perfect choice for this song too. Could be something the Eagles would have done back in the day. Good stuff!

Blue Attitude Website

#360395 - 08/11/16 03:33 AM [User Showcase] Re: Better Days [Re: 44kfl]
Loc: Sydney Australia
PeterF Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sydney Australia
Kenny

Excellent - really catchy chorus - nice band sound.

Peter

#360428 - 08/11/16 05:35 AM [User Showcase] Re: Better Days [Re: 44kfl]
tommyad Offline
Veteran

Kenny, This is so easy to listen to. As mentioned previously it has that Cali country rock sound. Great vocals and I really love the write. On my 5th listen and going back again. Excellent, Tom

#360445 - 08/11/16 07:21 AM [User Showcase] Re: Better Days [Re: BlueAttitude]
Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
boehm Offline
Veteran

Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
Hi Kenny,
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Nice vocals and harmonies, harmonica part is the perfect choice for this song too. Could be something the Eagles would have done back in the day. Good stuff!
An enjoyable listen.

Guenter

#360497 - 08/11/16 12:17 PM [User Showcase] Re: Better Days [Re: ROG]
44kfl Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: gibson
Kenny,

I like this, had me singing along!

Ain't BIAB great!!!

Alyn

Thanks Alyn, always appreciate your kind words and support.
Originally Posted By: ROG
Hi Kenny.

Like Alyn, I was singing along straight away. In fact, I'm still singing the chorus as I'm typing.

I think the power of this song comes largely from it's simple, relaxed format. You feel immediately comfortable with it and by the time the chorus kicks in with those excellent harmony BVs, you're well and truly hooked.

Gotta listen to that again.

ROG.

Thank you very much!

Edited by 44kfl (08/11/16 12:18 PM)

#360498 - 08/11/16 12:22 PM [User Showcase] Re: Better Days [Re: JoanneCooper]
44kfl Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: JosieC
Hi Kenny
Very nice! I must say that I am starting to get more into midi these days. You have a little Eagles vibe going on here. Good job.

Thanks Josie,

I like midi for its flexibility too, but I don't have a good tone generator. I've gotten so spoiled with these real tracks, there are still a lot of really good midi tracks here!

#360500 - 08/11/16 12:35 PM [User Showcase] Re: Better Days [Re: 44kfl]
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Loc: GA USA
"Hoping that the wind is kind
And pushing gently at my back
Hoping things will fall my way
And find the inside track"

We have to love this....we recently finished a song with end lines of wind at my back and on the right track for the rhymes!! grin

"Collected paintings and souvenirs
On display for all to see
From all the places that we’ve been
Do they mean more than me

And the better days we knew
There were better days it’s true"

You push things soooooo far up the image ladder. Everything is always so textured and rich...but not overly so...just the right touch. Few writers in our opinion are able to so consistently nail that sweet spot as you do.

If your vocal was not so good we'd be tempted to say we could hear Henley sing it but you nailed it with an expressive vocal that as a friend used to say "rips the paint right off of your heart."

We got so lost in the vocal and lyric that we had to immediately listen a couple more times to focus on the production -- which is outstanding.

Wonderful piece of work!

J&B

#360502 - 08/11/16 12:40 PM [User Showcase] Re: Better Days [Re: floyd jane]
44kfl Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Kenny,

Always pleased to see a song from you!

This is so "comfortable". Easy, relaxed. Great sound. Your vocals always have "heart". Nice arrangement and mix...

This reminded me of Jackson Browne (Late For The Sky era)... better days...

Really enjoyed it...

fj

Thanks,

Once again you've uncovered my roots pretty effortlessly. I never even thought of Jackson Browne while writing or recording this and yet he is one of my favorites and Late For The Sky my favorite album of his. A big influence on me, can you believe 40 + years ago now that this record was released. Actually I wanted to write something very simple and straight forward in a Neil Young way (NYOUNG STYLE) "think I'll pack it in and buy a pickup" and with me it will come out more Jackson or JT.
You always have such kind words for everyone and I appreciate it,
Thanks

#360504 - 08/11/16 12:49 PM [User Showcase] Re: Better Days [Re: Greg Johnson]
44kfl Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
I’m gonna rise up in the morning
While the sun’s still breaking thru
Pack only the things I really need
Head out to highway 22

Stretch my eyes till I’m awake
Breathe deep while the airs still cool
And I’m thinking about the road ahead
But mostly about you

Kenny, you are a master of setting a scene!! This is just beautifully written. Perfect "band" for the song, and a great musical hook. You're a wonderful writer-I'm never disappointed!! Take care. Greg

Greg my main man,
I couldn't ask for a better write up than this,
you should be my press manager, that is if I ever
need one, I don't think I'll need one, getting off
the subject here. Thank you so much for the kind words
as always.

#360507 - 08/11/16 12:53 PM [User Showcase] Re: Better Days [Re: PeterF]
44kfl Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude

Thanks,
yeah, as soon as I tried the harmonica I thought it worked right away.

Originally Posted By: PeterF
Kenny

Excellent - really catchy chorus - nice band sound.

Peter

Thanks Peter

#360700 - 08/12/16 07:36 PM [User Showcase] Re: Better Days [Re: tommyad]
44kfl Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: tommyad
Kenny, This is so easy to listen to. As mentioned previously it has that Cali country rock sound. Great vocals and I really love the write. On my 5th listen and going back again. Excellent, Tom

Thanks Tom,

"Cali Country" play it all you want, that's what it's there for, I play yours over and over.

Kenny

#360723 - 08/13/16 05:40 AM [User Showcase] Re: Better Days [Re: 44kfl]
Loc: South Carolina
Charlie Fogle Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Carolina
Beautiful song. It is so well written, arranged, mixed and produced. Your vocals are stellar and exactly right for the song. The harmonies and backing vocals are right for the genre and splendidly performed as well.

I had to wait a few minutes before posting my comments so as not to gush all over this song. It is so close in genre, feel and vibe to what I was doing in the early 1970's with my band Angel Oak.

I agree this is a bit of the early Eagles and Jackson Brown Cali sound but it goes back further than that to the simplicity and purity of Gram Parsons. Were this back in that time, you could easily see Gram Parsons or Rick Nelson in the Stone Canyon days recording this song. The one thing either they or my band would have included that's left out in your version is Pedal Steel Guitar. Not a lot, but it would have been there.

Both Parsons and Nelson, (Angel Oak by imitation and access to a pedal steel player) used the steel for its uniqueness as well as a bit of 'in your face' to the big labels and their total control. So, had midi been available back in the day, both may have used it for that same reason.

This is so authentic to that sound in performance and feel resulting from the chord progression using the minors. Uncannily old, but so new and refreshing once again. This is the most authentic recreation of the pre-Eagles country rock I've heard in the 40 + years since it was actually being performed by bands.

This was nice to hear and I really enjoyed it.

Charlie

Edited by Charlie Fogle (08/13/16 08:03 PM)

#360857 - 08/14/16 10:29 AM [User Showcase] Re: Better Days [Re: 44kfl]
Loc: Woodstock, NY
rsdean Offline
Veteran

Loc: Woodstock, NY
Kenny,

Love the sound you're getting here. Agree with the Eagles vibe - very nice!

Bob

#360898 - 08/14/16 06:06 PM [User Showcase] Re: Better Days [Re: 44kfl]
Sundance Offline
Veteran

This little song just grabs you and holds on. Love that soft rock Eagles sound. I really like the arrangement except I thought there could've been a bit less harmonica (or maybe panned wider in the mix) since to me it seemed to be fighting the vocals in spots. The vocals and harmonies sound terrific. Great lyrics and sweet sing a long melody.

One of my personal fav songs of yours Kenny!

Edited by Sundance (08/14/16 06:09 PM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2020 Polish for Windows is Here!

Dodaliśmy ponad 50 nowych funkcji do Band-in-a-Box® 2020! Są udoskonalenia ścieżek RealTracks (Delikatniej brzmiące wokale RealTracks, Pogrubianie RealTracks, funkcja "Znajdź odmianę" dla RealTracks i MultiRiffów). Większość RealDrums ma teraz RealCharts (z dokładną Notacją Bębnów). Jest nowa Przeglądarka Artystów RealTracks umożliwiające znalezienie informacji/biografii/linków/listy ścieżek RealTracks dla wszystkich artystów. Nowa Przeglądarka Funkcji pozwala nowym lub "zapominalskim" użytkownikom na łatwe znalezienie i użycie większości funkcji/skrótów/dokumentów z poziomu jednego okna. Funkcja Wyrównaj Tempo pozwala na zmianę utworu nagranego w rytmie rubato i dostosowanie go do ustalonego tempa. Udoskonalono funkcje rozciągania brzmień audio w czasie/wysokości dźwięku (Elastique). Są też udoskonalenia opcji Wybory Utworu, automatycznych wstępów na Basie/Bębnach lub tylko samych bębnach (Auto-Intros), dodano 3,400 tytułów, są udoskonalenia w zakresie MusicXML, mamy widok dla gitarzysty "Leworęcznego" oraz "Widok dla ucznia" przy grze na gitarze, udoskonalenia opcji Przeciągnij i Upuść, multi-okna wyświetlającego Magika Audio Akordów i wiele innych poprawek!

ZAKUP/UAKTUALNIJ & POBIERZ TERAZ!

Add-ons Special EXTENDED! Xtra Styles PAK 9 & Loops-with-Style PAK 2...

There's still time to SAVE when you SUPERCHARGE your Band-in-a-Box® 2020 UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition with 200 new RealStyles with Xtra Styles PAK 9, and 100 NEW Loops & 50 NEW Styles with Loops-with-Style PAK 2!!

We've EXTENDED our special until JULY 15TH!

Xtra Styles PAK 9 includes deep-south New Orleans gospel, a country soul groove, a psychedelic pop ballad, action-sequence cinematic metal, a Cajun jaw harp boogie, post-punk folk rock, quarter-feel jazz blues, several modern jazz styles, a modern Celtic folk reel, multiple 6/8 grooves, and so much more! There's a MultiStyle in every genre, and our biggest MultiStyle has a total of ten substyles! Add it to your collection today for just $29 (reg. $49)!

Loops-with-Style PAK 2 includes 50 new Styles & 100 new Loops to add to your Band-in-a-Box® collection! There are two new genres: gospel and funk, and we've added to the selection for electronic, hip hop, jazz, pop, R&B, rock, and world! Purchase Loops-with-Style PAK 2 on sale for only $19 (reg. $29)!

Already have a few of our Xtra Styles PAKs? Top up now - each of our 9 Xtra Styles PAKs are just $29 (reg. $49)! Don't have any, and want them ALL? Grab all during our sale for just $199 (reg. $349)!

Learn more about Xtra Styles PAKs for Band-in-a-Box and listen to demos here.

More information on Loops-with-Style PAKs can be found here.

Mac user? Click here for OS specific purchase links.

DAW Plugin FAQs Resource!

We've added a new Band-in-a-Box DAW Plugin for Mac FAQ to our FAQ and Knowledge Base Forum - make sure you check it out!

This is where we'll be sharing any solutions we discover for frequent problems reported while working through our DAW Plugin tech support.

Like this post from Andrew: StylePicker does not see my styles and RealTracks, or they are showing as N/A.
Click here for the solution.

Windows user? Click here for your forum links.

Add-ons Special Almost Over! Xtra Styles PAK 9 & Loops-with-Style PAK 2...

There's still time to SAVE when you SUPERCHARGE your Band-in-a-Box® 2020 UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition with 200 new RealStyles with Xtra Styles PAK 9, and 100 NEW Loops & 50 NEW Styles with Loops-with-Style PAK 2!!

We've EXTENDED our special until JULY 15TH!

Xtra Styles PAK 9 includes deep-south New Orleans gospel, a country soul groove, a psychedelic pop ballad, action-sequence cinematic metal, a Cajun jaw harp boogie, post-punk folk rock, quarter-feel jazz blues, several modern jazz styles, a modern Celtic folk reel, multiple 6/8 grooves, and so much more! There's a MultiStyle in every genre, and our biggest MultiStyle has a total of ten substyles! Add it to your collection today for just $29 (reg. $49)!

Loops-with-Style PAK 2 includes 50 new Styles & 100 new Loops to add to your Band-in-a-Box® collection! There are two new genres: gospel and funk, and we've added to the selection for electronic, hip hop, jazz, pop, R&B, rock, and world! Purchase Loops-with-Style PAK 2 on sale for only $19 (reg. $29)!

Already have a few of our Xtra Styles PAKs? Top up now - each of our 9 Xtra Styles PAKs are just $29 (reg. $49)! Don't have any, and want them ALL? Grab all during our sale for just $199 (reg. $349)!

Learn more about Xtra Styles PAKs for Band-in-a-Box and listen to demos here.

More information on Loops-with-Style PAKs can be found here.

Mac user? Click here for OS specific purchase links.

An Updated Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Mac is Here!

The latest Band-in-a-Box 2020 update announcement is HUGE!

With this updated version, easily find your (purchased) Xtra Styles PAK 9 RealStyles in the updated StylePicker window, [ctrl] and [shift] shortcut keys will allow you to open your RealDrums picker and preferences windows with one 'click', there are improvements to Bar Based Lyric entry, stable playback of style demos, the UPDATED DAW Plugin is included, and more!

The updated DAW Plugin 2.9.41 adds additional and redesigned action buttons, refined DAW syncing, Chord Sheet enhancements, improvements to MultiRiffs, RealTracks, RealDrums, and MIDI features, and so much more!

We've made a video that highlights all the changes to the DAW Plugin with build 2.9.41: Watch it...

Learn more about the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Mac b412 and download here.

Updated Band-in-a-Box® 2020 and VST DAW Plugin for Windows!

Did you see the latest build update announcement for Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows?

It’s PACKED with powerful updates, including additional RealCharts, improved RealStyles demos, language support, and significant additions and improvements to the DAW Plugin!

The updated DAW Plugin 2.9.41 adds additional and redesigned action buttons, refined DAW syncing, Chord Sheet enhancements, improvements to MultiRiffs, RealTracks, RealDrums, and MIDI features, and so much more! In fact, we’ve made a video that highlights all the changes to the DAW Plugin with build 2.9.41: Click here to check it out.

Learn more about the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2020 b724 for Windows and download it here.

#TipTuesday Band-in-a-Box® Online Manuals - An Excellent Resource!

The Band-in-a-Box® program manuals are available on our Support page - what an excellent online resource to help you get the most out of the program!

Head to our Support | Online Manuals page and you'll have access to both a PDF and an online program manual for Band-in-a-Box® 2018-2020 and RealBand 2018-2020!

Bookmark www.pgmusic.com/manuals/ today!

Forum Stats
32426 Members
68 Forums
65031 Topics
550975 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
Michael M, bohne, Misha, jackpark, FAB

32426 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
VideoTrack 172
Jim Fogle 150