Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Hi
I have been looking at buying a Roland BK7M to use as a backing track, mostly drums and bass, for live playing (guitar & vocal duo). We play mostly jazz standards, ballads, Bossa and some blues.
Will it work for me to create a song in BIAB, select a suitable style and then export as midi. Then load that midi into the BK for live use?
I am not keen on taking a laptop into a live gig, too much to go wrong and it is not really set up for live use. The BK has foot switches for stop start next etc.

Be keen to hear of anybody has done something similar with a BK7 or some other sound module.
Many thanks
Mark

If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all...
BIAB 2019 Mac on a MacBook Pro. All paks & Styles.
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Mark. Welcome to the forum!

Frequent contributor, Bob Norton of Norton's Music ++ Click HERE for Norton's Music ++ is one person that regularly uses midi backing tracks with midi sound modules with his live performances. I believe he has some performance tips at his site.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Veteran
Veteran
That unit uses .smf (not .mid MIDI files) so there may be other steps involved in getting the MIDI data in a readable format.

Also, I don't see any mention of a GM soundset, so you may have to save a group of sounds as a 'Perfomance list' or such in order to get the expected sounds.
BiaB relies on the GM soundset to assign the patches (instruments).

For the price, I'd consider a synth only(without the built in arranger features, as BiaB is doing that for you).
You may find better options for an equivalent price.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Hi

Many thanks for the helpful replies.

On reflection I have been looking also at the Roland Sonic Cell.
Has a full GM patch set, plays GM midi, mp3, aiff, wav etc

Any thoughts on this unit?

I read the Norton article about what he does. He is more of a pro musician than I. I think if I turned up with laptops and the gear he uses it would be frowned upon. More of a small cafe bar, pub club thing. The less gear the better.

So if anyone has any ideas on doing things this way with the Sonic Cel, be great to hear from you
Cheers
Mark

Veteran
Veteran
Mark,

The Roland Sonic Cell is discontinued.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Veteran
Veteran
It DOES play .mid files

http://www.rolandus.com/support/knowledge_base/203843129

and IT IS a GM/GS module (look at pic)

https://www.roland.com/us/products/bk-7m/

tone list starting on page 91 of owners manual (when CC00 = 0 those ARE the GM base patches)

but for JUST playing back GM files it probably is OVERKILL since it's more a standalone and "generate your own songs" kind of device.

on the other hand, if you want to make BIAB songs that have RT's and RD's (actual audio) that may also include some MIDI tracks, or mixes of songs with nothing but RT/RDs, mixed RT'RD's & MIDI, and just MIDI files and DO NOT want to use a LAPTOP at gig- it looks like a nice solution. too bad it doesn't expand with a SRX slots or have/allow Roland SN sounds.

Good Luck
Larry

EDIT - had to go listen to it on YouTube since I had never even heard of this module let alone HEARD it.

Actually sounds pretty good - better than my SC-8850 but not as good as my Integra 7 or even my XV-5080.

When I listened to the Jazz/blues demo you can tell you are listening to a Roland module the brass just has that Roland "sizzle" (I was going to say "pop" but didn't want reader to infer I meant pop as in "POP songs.")

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnEjdWUPizQ

I could defiantly see me using it as a, or even the, sound module on a gig (but again I'd probably never use the song arranger part unless you took my PC, laptop and other sequencing equipment away)

Last edited by Larry Kehl; 08/21/16 10:14 AM.

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Hi
Thanks again for the advice.

I realise both the BK7M and Sonic Cell are discontinued by Roland but they come up fairly regularly on good old eBay!

I guess the BK7M is overkill in that I don't play a MIDI equipped instrument so the on-the-fly arranging it offers won't get used.

My main interest was

1. The quality of the sounds. Some midi backing tracks I have heard used are cheesy at best, some are downright awful, others sound virtually like the real thing.

2. Ease of use for what I want to do. Selecting tracks, playing, stoping, playlists etc. Dont want to be fumbling around between songs and break up the flow.

Thanks
Mark

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Henry Clarke: Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function

One of the new features added with Band-in-Box® 2024 is the Tracks Window, which will look familiar if you've worked with other DAWs.

Henry Clarke explains why he loves the Re-generation function within the Tracks Window in their video Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function.

Watch video.

Learn even more about what the Tracks Window can do with our video Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Tracks Window.

User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,833
Posts737,806
Members38,594
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
RWSwan, dedlyfish, Tnfkd, eljayjay, tommy kissner
38,595 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 168
rsdean 117
DC Ron 105
dcuny 101
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.