Print Thread
Go To
#364508 09/08/16 10:58 AM
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
kbour Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
I have been a BIAB customer/user for as long as I can remember... I recently took up tap dancing and am wondering if I can create a new "drum" instrument in BIAB where different tap sounds could be mapped to notes on the treble scale, e.g.:

G#: Toe Stand
G: Touch
F#: Slam
F: Step
E: Brush
D#: Pullback
D: Spank
C#: Toe Click
C: Toe Tip
B: Toe
A#: Jump
A: Hop/Leap
G#: Heel Stand
G: Dig
F#: Heel Click
F: Heel
E: Heel Touch
D#: Chug
D: Scuff
C#: Clunk (Outside)
C: Clunk (Inside)

I would record each of these single tap sounds as a WAV file and, when I create melody line, I would like a middle "G" to make the sound corresponding to a "Dig" or the lower "E" to sound as a "Heel." It might even be possible to use simple chords, e.g., a G-G would be a "Stomp" and and F-F could be thought of as a Stamp.

In essence, I am asking if BIAB supports creating a new "drum" instrument with its own sound profile.

If this idea is possible, I would appreciate some guidance as to how I might proceed.

Thanks,

Ken

K
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
K
Hi,

There's nothing built-in to Band-in-a-Box that would allow this, but you could load your samples into any VST drum plugin that allows you to load your own samples, and use that VST on a track in Band-in-a-Box.

Thanks
Kent
PG Music

Veteran
Veteran
You can do this in Kontakt and you can probably do this in any sampler.

Or record your wavs and in RealBand put them where you want them. Note that I am not a heavy user of RealBand and if this isn't correct then someone please correct me. But I'm pretty sure that it can be done there. I'm sure it can be done in other DAWs also. I know it can be done in Sonar.

I want my last spoken words to be "I hid a million dollars under the........................"

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Veteran
Veteran
There may be an alternate workaround to get what you want--kind of. I did a similar thing for percussion, by recording live percussive instruments into RB at 100 bpm to a drum set. I can then save that at any tempo and create "loops" of a sort by cutting out stuff I don't want, or just silencing them, to create a percussion section of sorts on my own. See screenshot.

Last, I pasted a link to the Sonar instructions for making your own samples for Session Drummer. My wife is a programmer. She looked at the instructions and said if I did all the housework for two weeks she would do that. I am going with Plan A.

Session Drummer Programming:

http://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/using-session-drummer-2-sonar-6

Lazy Method to Avoid Housework:

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Percussion.png (463.57 KB, 91 downloads)
Veteran
Veteran
Ahh, but you are using Realband, not BiaB .. that makes it easier. <grin>

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: kbour

G#: Toe Stand
G: Touch
F#: Slam
F: Step
E: Brush
D#: Pullback
D: Spank
C#: Toe Click
C: Toe Tip
B: Toe
A#: Jump
A: Hop/Leap
G#: Heel Stand
G: Dig
F#: Heel Click
F: Heel
E: Heel Touch
D#: Chug
D: Scuff
C#: Clunk (Outside)
C: Clunk (Inside)

Ken

I'm curious as all get out to know what some of those things sound like..... Toe Click.... Heel......Heel touch.....toe stand.... Toe.....

But yeah, it's much easier to do with a sampler. Kontakt is one of the better samplers that would do this well.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
kbour Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Hi Guitarhacker:

To hear many of these sounds, check out this YouTube video of beginning tap instruction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRbsIS1Hmfo

kbour Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Thanks, Kent. I am not too familiar with VST's although, over the years, I have used BFD3 and Battery3 in stand-alone mode with a midi-controller called a Zendrum. The part that is confusing me is how to map the various recorded sounds to treble clef notes so that different arrangements, melodies, etc., can be played back in BIAB using the tap sound bank.

I did some research on the Internet and found this link - Clap Machine VST Plugin - in which the designer recorded hand-clap sounds. I listened to an arrangement a guy made using this plugin and it sounds a lot like what I am trying to achieve (Claptrap-2 Percussionists).

If I could make/buy something like that for tap sounds, would it be placed on the Soloist track in BIAB or an instrument?

Any chance I could call and talk to you about this project just to get myself properly oriented?

K
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
K
Hi,

Right, you can do this with something like BFD3 or Battery (VST version, rather than stand-alone). You'd load your samples into the plugin to create your own drum kit, then each note on the staff will correspond to a different sound from the kit.

You can then assign the VST to either the Melody or Soloist track and enter notes using the Notation Window or Piano Roll. If you'd like to record the part using a MIDI controller (like the Zendrum or a keyboard), then assign the plugin to the Thru track as well, and make sure you're using an ASIO audio driver.

You're welcome to call our tech support line, the number is 1-866-983-2474. We're available 10AM-5PM PST, Monday to Friday.

Thanks
Kent
PG Music

kbour Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Thanks, Kent. That additional explanation is helpful. First, I think I should attempt to load a VST version of BFD3 into BIAB. If I succeed with that step, it may seem clearer how to create a custom drumkit in BFD3 using audio recordings (wav files) of my tap sounds and map them to notes on the treble clef.

This kind of project is completely new to me, so I should probably hunker down and see if I can figure it out using the manuals/help tutorials. You've laid out the essential components. If I have additional questions, I'll post them here or give Tech Support a call.

Much obliged...

K
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
K
Sounds good, glad I could help!

Thanks
Kent

Veteran
Veteran
I'd suggest looking at using the free Aria Player (the same one used by the Garritan Libraries) as the sampler. The Aria Player uses a fairly simple file format called .sfz, which is plain text. That means you'd use a "plain text" editor like Notepad or Notepad++ to create and edit the file.

You can build a .sfz file that describes how you want your samples to be mapped, and then load the Aria Player into BiaB, and import your custom .sfz instrument.

Google is your friend, but here's a link to an example kit. Here's an explanation of a group from the file:

<group> loop_mode=one_shot lokey=41 hikey=41 pitch_keycenter=41 group=1 off_by=1
<region> lovel=000 hivel=030 sample=samples\hihat - closed side - 1.wav
<region> lovel=031 hivel=060 sample=samples\hihat - closed side - 2.wav
<region> lovel=061 hivel=090 sample=samples\hihat - closed side - 3.wav
<region> lovel=091 hivel=110 sample=samples\hihat - closed side - 4.wav
<region> lovel=111 hivel=127 sample=samples\hihat - closed side - 5.wav

The <group> indicates that all the <region> tags that follow belong to it. A quick explanation of the opcodes associated with the group:

• loop_mode indicates if the sample should loop or not. one_shot means it triggers once and stops, so there's no looping.
  • lokey indicates the lowest MIDI key that will trigger the group.
  • hikey indicates the highest MIDI key that will trigger the group.
  • pitch_keycenter tells how to transpose the sample. In this case, the trigger MIDI key is the same as the key center, so that sample will not be transposed.
  • group is the group number associated with the samples.
  • off_by indicates that if the indicated group number is triggered, if a sample is currently played, it will be turned off.

In short - the samples in the <region> are triggered by MIDI notes from the low note 41 to the high note 41. That means... note 41. smile Since note 41 is the "note center" of the sample, the sample sample will not be transposed.

Re-triggering the group will turn off any sample being played by the group.

The opcodes associated with the <region> are:

• lowvel indicates the lowest MIDI velocity (0..127) that will trigger the sample.
  • hivel indicates the highest MIDI velocity (0..127) that will trigger the sample.
  • sample indicates the path relative to the .sfz file where the sample is.

Basically, there are 5 different samples associated with the region, each triggered by a different velocity.

The example file I pointed to does some other fancy stuff, such as:

<group> loop_mode=one_shot lokey=11 hikey=11 pitch_keycenter=11
<region> lovel=000 hivel=040 seq_position=1 seq_length=2 sample=samples\kick - snares off - 1.wav
<region> lovel=000 hivel=040 seq_position=2 seq_length=2 sample=samples\kick - snares off - 2.wav
<region> lovel=041 hivel=080 seq_position=1 seq_length=2 sample=samples\kick - snares off - 2.wav
<region> lovel=041 hivel=080 seq_position=2 seq_length=2 sample=samples\kick - snares off - 1.wav
<region> lovel=081 hivel=100 seq_position=1 seq_length=2 sample=samples\kick - snares off - 3.wav
<region> lovel=081 hivel=100 seq_position=2 seq_length=2 sample=samples\kick - snares off - 5.wav
<region> lovel=101 hivel=115 seq_position=1 seq_length=2 sample=samples\kick - snares off - 4.wav
<region> lovel=101 hivel=115 seq_position=2 seq_length=2 sample=samples\kick - snares off - 3.wav
<region> lovel=116 hivel=127 seq_position=1 seq_length=2 sample=samples\kick - snares off - 5.wav
<region> lovel=116 hivel=127 seq_position=2 seq_length=2 sample=samples\kick - snares off - 4.wav

This is like the prior example, but it introduces the seq_position, which allows triggering samples in a particular order, instead of the same sample again and again.

But... that's probably much more than you currently want or need. wink

If you only had a single sample per key, and didn't care about re-triggering, you would only need one <group> per MIDI key, and one <region> per <group>, like so:

<group> loop_mode=one_shot lokey=41 hikey=41 pitch_keycenter=41
<region> sample=samples\hihat - closed side - 1.wav

I generally place all my files in a folder located in the same directory as the .sfz file, with the same name as the .sfz file, like so:

<group> loop_mode=one_shot lokey=41 hikey=41 pitch_keycenter=41
<region> sample=my_cool_instrument\sample_1.wav

Just cut and past this portion for each sample (replacing the MIDI note number and sample file name), and you're done. Save the file with each change, and you can test it out on the fly with the Aria Player. The player automatically notices the file has been updated, so you don't have to re-load it as you edit it, just save the file.

To use it in BiaB, load the Aria Player in the Realtime VSTI Plugin Settings, and import your .sfz file into the Aria Player.

The end file might look something like this (yes, you can use note names instead of MIDI numbers):

<group> loop_mode=one_shot lokey=g#4 hikey=g#4 pitch_keycenter=g#4
<region> sample=samples\toe_stand.wav

<group> loop_mode=one_shot lokey=g4 hikey=g4 pitch_keycenter=g#
<region> sample=samples\touch.wav

<group> loop_mode=one_shot lokey=f#4 hikey=f#4 pitch_keycenter=f#4
<region> sample=samples\slam.wav

<group> loop_mode=one_shot lokey=f4 hikey=f4 pitch_keycenter=f4
<region> sample=samples\step.wav

<group> loop_mode=one_shot lokey=e4 hikey=e4 pitch_keycenter=e4
<region> sample=samples\brush.wav

<group> loop_mode=one_shot lokey=d#4 hikey=d#4 pitch_keycenter=d#4
<region> sample=samples\pullback.wav

<group> loop_mode=one_shot lokey=d4 hikey=d4 pitch_keycenter=d4
<region> sample=samples\spank.wav

<group> loop_mode=one_shot lokey=c#4 hikey=c#4 pitch_keycenter=c#4
<region> sample=samples\toe_click.wav

<group> loop_mode=one_shot lokey=c4 hikey=c4 pitch_keycenter=c4
<region> sample=samples\toe_tip.wav

<group> loop_mode=one_shot lokey=b3 hikey=b3 pitch_keycenter=b3
<region> sample=samples\toe.wav

<group> loop_mode=one_shot lokey=a#3 hikey=a#3 pitch_keycenter=a#3
<region> sample=samples\jump.wav

<group> loop_mode=one_shot lokey=a3 hikey=a3 pitch_keycenter=a3
<region> sample=samples\hop_leap.wavv

<group> loop_mode=one_shot lokey=g#3 hikey=g#3 pitch_keycenter=g#3
<region> sample=samples\heel_stand.wav

<group> loop_mode=one_shot lokey=g3 hikey=g3 pitch_keycenter=g3
<region> sample=samples\dig.wav

<group> loop_mode=one_shot lokey=f#3 hikey=f#3 pitch_keycenter=f#3
<region> sample=samples\heel_click.wav

<group> loop_mode=one_shot lokey=f3 hikey=f3 pitch_keycenter=f3
<region> sample=samples\heel.wav

<group> loop_mode=one_shot lokey=e3 hikey=e3 pitch_keycenter=e3
<region> sample=samples\heel_touch.wav

<group> loop_mode=one_shot lokey=d#3 hikey=d#3 pitch_keycenter=d#3
<region> sample=samples\chug.wav

<group> loop_mode=one_shot lokey=d3 hikey=d3 pitch_keycenter=d3
<region> sample=samples\scuff.wav

<group> loop_mode=one_shot lokey=c#3 hikey=c#3 pitch_keycenter=c#3
<region> sample=samples\clunk_outside.wav

<group> loop_mode=one_shot lokey=c3 hikey=c3 pitch_keycenter=c3
<region> sample=samples\clunk_inside.wav

Last edited by dcuny; 09/13/16 09:09 AM. Reason: Fixed formatting tags

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,662
Posts735,548
Members38,532
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Jeffrey thomas, skyanderson3, akbrpra, Benfil77, William L
38,532 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 173