You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#362049 - 08/23/16 02:51 PM [] Long Distance Runner: Contest Submission from David Snyder
Loc: North Carolina
David Snyder Offline
Veteran

Dear PG Music:

Here is my submission for the Xtra Styles contest (Jazz category). I love these Xtra styles. The STARLIT.STY style, which is a jazz rock players dream, enabled me to go back to the Prog Rock glory days of groups like Yes. During the composition of this piece, I had been studying the songwriting and production in the album Close to the Edge, which I tried to reflect in style, energy and feeling.

https://soundcloud.com/david-snyder-gigs/long-distance-runner

This was presented in a forum last week. Below are the lyrics, following that is the Style I used and the additional real tracks I added, and a description of the parts I played myself.
Finally I have pasted a forum post where I explained how I produced and arranged the piece from start to finish to get that “Yes” sound.

Genre: Progressive Rock/Jazz

Long Distance Runner

By David Snyder

Prologue (The Delirium):

Blue Haze, Summer
Long Distance Runner
Blue Phase, Summer
Long Distance Runner

Verse 1

Think fast, moon blast
Seagrass, long past,
Love right, hang tight
Seems right
Light dust, moon rust
Clock out of water, clock out of order
Mariner’s daughter

Ch:

Twist and shout
Cool haze of summer
Blue haze of summer
See past the border
Ring flash, sea splash
Twist and shout
Roundabout
Cool haze, cool haze,
Cool haze of summer
See past the border
Long Distance Runner
Knights of the Order
Long Distance Runner

V2

There is no dark side of the sun
It’s dark for everyone
Into the water
Long Distance Runner
Learn past, run fast, seagrass
Ten past the corner
Long Distance Runner

CH

Learn past, run fast, seagrass
Ten past the corner
Long Distance Runner
Long Distance Runner

Epilogue (The Redemption)
Think tall, see small
Run for the border
Run for the border
Long Distance Runner

All lyrics and music copyright David Snyder 2016

****** Song Summary *************
Title: Long Distance Runner
Key=C , Tempo 100, Length (m:s)=3:57
23 bar intro, 73 bar chorus, from bar 24 to bar 96. Repeat x1 chorus

Basic Style is _STARLIT.STY (Star-lit Dreamy Jazz Rock) Xtra
Styles (User Defined and Modified)

David Snyder, Acoustic Guitar, 12 String, Sitar, Electric Lead and Rhythm, Ibanez Hollow Body, Synth, Organ

Lead and Backing Vocals, Production

RTs:
RealTracks in style: 1759:Bass, Electric, Pop16ths Ev 085
RealTracks in style: 912:Piano, Electric, Rhythm SmoothPoppy Ev16 090
RealTracks in style: ~542:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm Dreamy Ev 085
RealTracks in style: 2603:Guitar, Electric, Soloist JazzRock16thsJon Ev16 090
RealTracks in song: 381:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm Syncopated Sugar Ev 102
RealTracks in song: 1596:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming Pop16ths Ev16 065
RealDrums in style: RockModernSyncEv16^8-a:Snare, Closed HiHat , b:Snare, Ride

Production Notes

Hey thanks for the nice comments everybody. For those who wanted to know how this was done, I have some source material. In the drop box with my user tracks I put the organ part in both Finale and Midi. The instrument in Garritan/GPO5 is "full organ." For Finale users it should open right up. This part I had to play myself of course.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/y4ujowwpqh5y42t/AABnCcRP8YYL6ydXzoebe2Nza?dl=0

This Rick Wakeman style part moves fast and goes against the BIAB backing tracks--kinda sorta you have two keys stacked on top of one another. The song is in C, but this part is playing in a ringing G modality--basically G7sus and Dm7 with a few odd notes--the G Bass note operating as a pedal throughout. This is what creates the momentum.

Over that, I am playing a hollow body electric with a riff that is in A minor, basically doing a lot of pull offs starting on the A on the 10th fret and walking down, hammering on the third and fourth string around the fifth fret then working my way back up. That creates the swirl. I laid out the entire composition in one Chorus in BIAB and killed most of the other instruments except for drums and bass until the opening is over, and then the whole band kicks in in that Starlit style (Xtra style.) The drum pattern is reversed. The intro uses a Chorus pattern (green) and the next section follows with a Verse drum pattern (blue) switching back and forth. One half of your brain is insisting the song is going Chorus Verse Chorus while the other half insists it is Verse Chorus Verse. That is when the hallucination kicks in.

The rest is just 4 separate vocal tracks doing a different melody with one "main" vocal track.

Anyway, with the Xtra styles and some homemade playing, it is possible to get that prog rock sound. It's fun. Give it a whirl!!

Edited by Andrew - PG Music (09/20/16 02:52 PM)

www.davidsnydermusic.com
www.reverbnation.com/davidpsnyder
www.soundcloud.com/davidsnyderchannel
www.songtradr.com/user/profile/david.snyder

#362460 - 08/26/16 10:51 AM [] Re: Long Distance Runner: Contest Submission from David Snyder [Re: David Snyder]
Loc: somewhere in outer space
w Offline
Expert

Loc: somewhere in outer space
David,

great vocals and excellent orchestration/arrangement.

And thanks for sharing your production efforts and for providing the downloads.

Looking forward to trying the Finale file.

#362479 - 08/26/16 01:31 PM [] Re: Long Distance Runner: Contest Submission from David Snyder [Re: w]
David Snyder Offline
Veteran

Thanks and sure!!

It should be set to Full Organ in Garritan (GPO4 or GPO5) but if it is not, set it to full organ in Aria Player. If it is set to piano it won't sound like much.

smile

www.davidsnydermusic.com

#362491 - 08/26/16 02:20 PM [] Re: Long Distance Runner: Contest Submission from David Snyder [Re: David Snyder]
Loc: Australia
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Good one, David!

#362693 - 08/28/16 12:20 AM [] Re: Long Distance Runner: Contest Submission from David Snyder [Re: David Snyder]
Loc: Pensacola, Florida
jford Offline
Veteran

Loc: Pensacola, Florida
David, I really enjoyed this. A couple of days ago, I was out walking the dog and I normally listen to Spotify while walking. Every day I think, "who should I listen to today?" Well I selected Rick Wakeman (whom I haven't listened to in awhile, mainly because I only have him in vinyl), but was needing some of that 70s prog-rock. So I really enjoyed the "Yes" vibe of your song (very timely for my listening pleasure).

The production work is great and you've done some pretty cool stuff with the RT's.

LaptopBeast HP Win10Pro64 8GB
AudioBeast ASUS Win10Pro64 16GB
VideoBeast HP Win10Pro64 8GB

BB-RB2020/UMC404HD/Casio Kbds/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/Samplitude/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Noteworthy/NIKomplete/Halion/Garritan/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com

#362700 - 08/28/16 03:11 AM [] Re: Long Distance Runner: Contest Submission from David Snyder [Re: David Snyder]
Loc: South Carolina
Charlie Fogle Online   content
Veteran

Loc: South Carolina
A really interesting composition. You make great use of the new Xtra styles. In joyed this.

Charlie

#363126 - 08/30/16 09:19 PM [] Re: Long Distance Runner: Contest Submission from David Snyder [Re: David Snyder]
Loc: South Africa
JoanneCooper Online   content
Veteran

Loc: South Africa
Wonderful David. A great production. Love the layered vocals

#363224 - 08/31/16 11:51 AM [] Re: Long Distance Runner: Contest Submission from David Snyder [Re: David Snyder]
Loc: Italy, Oristano
GT_OR Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Italy, Oristano
Hi David,
as i wrote in Soundcloud , it's incredible your passion for music.
I like it , in particular way the intro.

Edited by GT_OR (08/31/16 01:01 PM)

#363324 - 09/01/16 05:58 AM [] Re: Long Distance Runner: Contest Submission from David Snyder [Re: David Snyder]
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
VideoTrack Offline
Veteran

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
A very full on sound.

Thanks for the listen.
BIAB&RB2020(Audiophile),Win-10Pro, SonarPlatinum, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, KorgX3R, RodeNGT2, AM802mixer, NS40M StudioMonitors, Pioneer Act. Mons, AKG K271 Studio H'phones

#365040 - 09/12/16 07:54 AM [] Re: Long Distance Runner: Contest Submission from David Snyder [Re: David Snyder]
Loc: North Yorkshire, England
receder Offline
Journeyman

Loc: North Yorkshire, England
Hi David,

I think is my favourite of your competition entries! Great vocals and I must admit that I listened to it before I read your explanation and immediately thought "reminds me of early Yes". So well done, you definitely achieved what you set out to.

Interesting production notes. I must give that a go as I am still into a lot of Prog Rock myself (Yes, Return to Forever, Rush, Alan Parsons, Bill Bruford plus many more I cannot recall).

Rec

#365068 - 09/12/16 10:14 AM [] Re: Long Distance Runner: Contest Submission from David Snyder [Re: David Snyder]
David Snyder Offline
Veteran

Thanks Noel!!

www.davidsnydermusic.com

#365069 - 09/12/16 10:14 AM [] Re: Long Distance Runner: Contest Submission from David Snyder [Re: jford]
David Snyder Offline
Veteran

Thanks John!!

www.davidsnydermusic.com

#365070 - 09/12/16 10:15 AM [] Re: Long Distance Runner: Contest Submission from David Snyder [Re: Charlie Fogle]
David Snyder Offline
Veteran

Thanks Charlie!

www.davidsnydermusic.com

#365071 - 09/12/16 10:15 AM [] Re: Long Distance Runner: Contest Submission from David Snyder [Re: JoanneCooper]
David Snyder Offline
Veteran

Thanks Joanne!

www.davidsnydermusic.com

#365072 - 09/12/16 10:15 AM [] Re: Long Distance Runner: Contest Submission from David Snyder [Re: David Snyder]
David Snyder Offline
Veteran

Thanks so much, I really appreciate that!

www.davidsnydermusic.com

#365073 - 09/12/16 10:16 AM [] Re: Long Distance Runner: Contest Submission from David Snyder [Re: David Snyder]
David Snyder Offline
Veteran

Thanks VideoTrack!

www.davidsnydermusic.com

#365074 - 09/12/16 10:16 AM [] Re: Long Distance Runner: Contest Submission from David Snyder [Re: David Snyder]
David Snyder Offline
Veteran

Thanks so much, and thanks for the vocal production tips!

www.davidsnydermusic.com

Moderator:  Blake - PG Music 
PG Music News
RealBand 2020 for Windows Updated Harmonies Feature!

The latest RealBand 2020 Update includes enhancements to the harmonies feature, improvements for audio recording, and more!

Click here to review and download this free update patch (build 4).

Video: Band-in-a-Box® - Xtra Styles PAK 9 Overview & Demos

Xtra Styles PAK 9 includes 200 NEW RealStyles for Rock-Pop, Jazz, Country, and Folk & Beyond!

There are 50 new RealStyles for each genre, with MultiStyles included in each genre too!

Learn more about loading and using Xtra Styles PAK 9 in Band-in-a-Box® 2020 and listen to the demos for the 200 new RealStyles in Xtra Styles PAK 9 with our latest video: Band-in-a-Box® - Xtra Styles PAK 9: Overview & Demos.

Add Xtra Styles PAK 9 to your band for just $29 until June 30th! Order here.

Windows user? Click here for Windows purchase links and details.

PowerTracks Pro Audio 2020 Updated!

PowerTracks Pro Audio 2020 has been updated with a small Free Update Patch that can be downloaded here.

Video: Band-in-a-Box® - Loops-with-Style PAK 2 Overview & Demos

Loops-with-Style PAK 2 is packed with 100 NEW Loops & 50 NEW Styles, including new gospel & folk categories!

Use these new Styles and Loops directly in your Band-in-a-Box® songs to access all their B substyle loops, or load these acidized loops directly into your DAW that supports acid info!

See how easy it is to load and use these Loops in Band-in-a-Box® 2020 and listen to the demos for these new Loops & Styles when you watch our latest video: Band-in-a-Box® - Loops-with-Style PAK 2 Overview & Demos.

Add Loops-with-Style PAK 2 today for just $19! Learn more and purchase here.

Haven't purchased Loops-with-Styles yet? Get the entire collection for only $29 when you bundle Loops-with-Style PAK 1 & Loops-with-Style PAK 2 for only $29! That's 100 Styles and 200 Loops for Band-in-a-Box® for just $29! Order now.

Mac user? Click here for Mac purchase links and details.

NEW Add-ons for Band-in-a-Box® 2020 - Xtra Styles PAK 9 & Loops-with-Style PAK 2!

We're delighted to be adding 200 GROUNDBREAKING RealStyles to the Band-in-a-Box® collection with Xtra Styles PAK 9!

Our new Rock-Pop additions include neo soul with vocals, classic ska with a horn section, a psychedelic sixties pop ballad, heavier action-scene cinematic metal, post-punk folk rock, six-substyle gospel pop MultiStyle with vocals, and more!

With the latest Jazz Xtra Styles, we've added everything from quarter-feel jazz blues to New Orleans Gospel to jazzy disco funk and gentle bossa folk pop, and more! We've also included a brand-new (huge!) ten-substyle "changes" jazz swing MultiStyle with three different soloist options!

The newest Country RealTracks are a real treat! We've fused folk and Americana instruments with the country sounds you know and love: ethereal and songwriter country ballads, a country rock march, country pop with layered cellos, a country soul groove, and much, much more! The included six-substyle summertime country pop MultiStyle will help you create your perfect summertime hit!

Plus, we've added to our Folk & Beyond collection with our Xtra Styles PAK 9 release! There are 50 fresh new styles, including a Cajun jaw harp boogie, cinematic folk with strings, a modern Celtic folk reel, a gentle three-guitar folk ballad, delta blues with shaker - the list goes on! Add Folk & Beyond 2 and you'll also receive a brand-new eight-part mountain folk MultiStyle!

There are 50 new RealStyles in each genre - get them ALL for only $29 until June 30th! Learn more, listen to demos and order here.

But wait... there's MORE!

We've also rolled out 50 NEW Styles and 100 NEW Loops in Loops-with-Style PAK 2!
Use these new Styles and Loops directly in your Band-in-a-Box® songs to access all their B substyle loops, or load these acidized loops directly into your DAW that supports acid info! Genres include Electronic, Funk, Hip Hop, Jazz, Pop, R&B, Rock, World, plus we're introducing two new genre categories - Gospel and Folk!

Add Loops-with-Style PAK 2 today for just $19! Learn more and purchase here.

Haven't purchased Loops-with-Styles yet? Get the entire collection for only $29 when you bundle Loops-with-Style PAK 1 & Loops-with-Style PAK 2 for only $29! That's 100 Styles and 200 Loops for Band-in-a-Box® for just $29! Order now.

Mac User? Click here for Mac details and purchase links.

Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows is Xtra Ready!

We never stop! The latest free patch update for Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows readies the program for the just-launched Xtra Styles PAK 9 (on sale until June 30th - learn more here)!

Update to build 721 and you'll see that we've improved the step-advancing notes display, updated the key command criteria for looping bars from the chordsheet, fixed email client integration, and more.

If you are a Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows user, you'll definitely want to update to the latest free patch update!

Learn more about Band-in-a-Box® 2020 build 721 for Windows and download it here.

#TBT Band-in-a-Box Finds!

I don't know about everyone here, but now that I've settled in to our "new normal" I've taken to rearranging and dusting off many things in order to keep busy and productive!

I'm picking up old hobbies, picking up clutter around the house, and as it turns out - finding forgotten picks!

We snagged these gems many, many, many years ago after The NAMM Show one winter. Check out the old Band-in-a-Box logo! Click here...

Have any of you come across something nostalgic like this these days? Let's see it!
(remember the first Audiophile version?!)

-Callie
Team Marketing

Forum Stats
32186 Members
65 Forums
64378 Topics
545801 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
praffulgoel, digi, George_H, paulmisaac, fugly

32186 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)