You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#366895 - 09/23/16 08:09 PM [2016 & 2017 Xtra Styles Contests - Closed] Defiance- Pop/Rock
Robertkc Offline
Veteran

https://soundcloud.com/user-564042721/defiance

My last entry would have been a folk ballad if not for this competition & may move that way later, but this is such a great sounding style I had to have a go.

Style is _BROKEN.STY (Broken Neoclassical Metal)
GuitarCustom Synth is Synth/Plugin Loaded

RealTracks in style: 1009:Bass, Electric, HardRockThrash Ev 085
RealTracks in style: 2336:Viola, Background, Pop Ev 085 (1TrackStringSection)
RealTracks in song: ~1029:Guitar, 12-String Electric, Fingerpicking Ev 085
RealTracks in style: 642:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm HardRockThrashHollow Ev 085
Loop in Song: AcousticDrumFullKit\Metal - gl_tomtoms100a ev16.wav
RealTracks in style: 2338:Violin, Background, PopLow Ev 085 (1TrackStringSection)
RealDrums in style: RockThrashHalfTimeEv16^9-a:Snare , Tom Groove , b:Snare, Open HiHat

Some background:
Between 1869 and the late 1930s, over 100,000 juvenile migrants were sent to Canada from the British Isles during the child emigration movement. Motivated by social and economic forces, churches and philanthropic organizations sent orphaned, abandoned and pauper children to Canada,some as young as 4years old.It was touted as a "Golden Bridge" to a better life, but many were ill treated and abused and all were separated from whatever family they had left and became indentured labourers and servants until adulthood. This song imagines what it must have taken to endure such a childhood.

Defiance

you`ve seen that colour
that colour before
when they tell you daddy`s gone
and you stare at the floor

you`ve seen that ice
that ice in their eyes
the men whe tell children
now you`ll work to survive

you`re sold by the devil
to the deep blue sea
as you plough another furrow
across that vast prairie

innocence will burn, burn, burn
in defiance

you`ve heard those whispers
whispers in the trees
the voices of your brothers
and sisters you had to leave

you`ve seen that colour
that colour before
in the the dawn of a new world
crossing your bridge of straw

innocence will burn, burn, burn
in defiance

all you feel as you kneel
a child ghost almost lost
do as you`re told burning cold
save your soul
in defiance

© Robert Cordrey Sept.2016

#367004 - 09/24/16 04:39 PM [2016 & 2017 Xtra Styles Contests - Closed] Re: Defiance- Pop/Rock [Re: ]
Robertkc Offline
Veteran

Anne-Marie,
Thanks for listening.
Yes, a sad and largely unrecognised part of Canadian history ... and children were still being shipped in this way from Britain to Australia into the 1960`s.

Robert

#367049 - 09/25/16 05:58 AM [2016 & 2017 Xtra Styles Contests - Closed] Re: Defiance- Pop/Rock [Re: Robertkc]
Loc: North Yorkshire, England
receder Offline
Journeyman

Loc: North Yorkshire, England
Hi Robert,

I thought you handled the subject matter very sympathetically with a suitably melancholy sound and lyrics.
You seem to produce interesting songs which always have something different about them. I enjoyed it.

Cheers
Rec

#367056 - 09/25/16 07:40 AM [2016 & 2017 Xtra Styles Contests - Closed] Re: Defiance- Pop/Rock [Re: Robertkc]
Loc: The Netherlands
RnAM Offline
Veteran

Loc: The Netherlands
A sad song Robert, the sound of your voice really supports the message!
I believe I've heard this style before grin
Overall, good use of RTs.

Rob

RnAM Homepage (completely restyled)
YouTube Channel

#367129 - 09/25/16 06:29 PM [2016 & 2017 Xtra Styles Contests - Closed] Re: Defiance- Pop/Rock [Re: receder]
Robertkc Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: receder
Hi Robert,

I thought you handled the subject matter very sympathetically with a suitably melancholy sound and lyrics.
You seem to produce interesting songs which always have something different about them. I enjoyed it.

Cheers
Rec

Rec,

Many thanks for your listen and comments. I don`t do "dark" songs very much, but the metal style certainly helped get that melancholy feeling here.

Robert

#367131 - 09/25/16 06:42 PM [2016 & 2017 Xtra Styles Contests - Closed] Re: Defiance- Pop/Rock [Re: ]
Robertkc Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Rob Meulman
A sad song Robert, the sound of your voice really supports the message!
I believe I've heard this style before grin
Overall, good use of RTs.

Rob

Thanks Rob, I`m glad you liked the vocal and instrument mix.
The song was written after reading a book on survivors stories and then I happened on an old recording by The Sound, a great 80`s post-punk band and I thought "that`s the style"... so thanks to XtraStyles for coming close to that.
Of course I realised a talented guy had already made very good use of the style, but by then I was feeling quite, well, defiant!

Robert

Moderator:  Blake - PG Music 
PG Music News
Just Released: Xtra Styles PAK 7 for Band-in-a-Box for Windows!

164 amazing new RealStyles await you in Xtra Styles PAK 7! We've dreamed up some great new arrangements for your songwriting, production, and teaching needs in four volumes: Jazz 7, Country 7, Rock/Pop 7, and Americana 2.

Get all 164 new RealStyles in the All Xtra Styles PAK 7 for only $29 until September 15, 2019! (Reg. $49)

Specific genre packages are also available for $15 each!

For more information and to listen to demos, click here!

Band-in-a-Box® Features List!

Every version release of Band-in-a-Box® adds loads of new features and enhancements to the program, which we're sure can sometimes get "lost" in your knowledge of the program's capabilities.

Looking to learn about new features with a specific release? It's actually really easy to locate this information!

Learn tips on the new version (2019) by visiting Help | Tip of the Day and placing a check mark next to "Only Show Tips for Version 2019" (you'll also need to select "Show Tips at Startup", if it's not already).

Access the new features list for older versions in the Help Index of the program - from the left-menu, choose Contents | Features and a list of New Features will show - all the way back to Version 7!

#FeatureFriday

#TBT Band-in-a-Box® Goes to NAMM

As we get ready to head to Summer NAMM this year, we're remembering our time their last year - we had so many visitors stop by our booth!

Click here to take a peak!

Special thanks to Mike and all the RealTracks Artists and PG Endorsers who stopped by. Stay tuned for our Booth Visitors and other happenings from Summer NAMM on July 18-20, 2019! If you find yourself at the event, come say "Hi!" to us at booth 234.

Band-in-a-Box® for Windows StylePicker Feature - Finding RealTracks & MIDI SuperTracks

Did you know... Within Band-in-a-Box®, quickly find styles that use RealTracks (or MIDI SuperTracks!) in a certain range by pressing the [Other] filter button in the StylePicker window and select "Styles that contain RealTracks or MIDI SuperTracks in a number range".

#WisdomWednesday

Band-in-a-Box® Tip of the Day!

Did you know that Band-in-a-Box® will show you some helpful "Tips" when you start the program? What a great way for new program users to learn all the features of the program! Want to know Tips on just the latest version? This feature can be adjusted to just show the Tips for that too.

Maybe you're a long-time user of the program, and have this feature turned off? To access Tip of the Day (450+ available!), head to Help | Tip of the Day. Your Tip will appear right away - and you'll have the option of reading the Next Tip if you wanted too! Within this window is where you would also choose to "Show Tips at Startup" (if this is unchecked, you won't see them), or "Only Show Tips for Version 2019".

Here's a few Tips the program informed me of the last time I opened Band-in-a-Box®:

In the Piano Roll window, the 'Ghost Note' function allows you to view a single-channel, and see notes on all other channels display in light grey. This is useful when working with multi-channel tracks.

Want a bigger guitar display? Drag the bottom end of the Guitar Window to change its size, or press the SETTINGS button to set a custom size.

The Printout can use left and right MARGINS. This is useful to make printouts for small paper size or 3 hole paper that requires margins.

Edit | Nudge Chords/Melody. Let's say that you have entered a complete song chord progression, and you then realize that all of the chords starting at bar 23 are 1 beat to late. You can use this feature to slide your chords over by 1 beat.

#TipTuesday

Video - Using the Band-in-a-Box® Vocal Wizard

Check out this incredibly thorough video created by Dennis Wilkins, which explains how he uses the Band-in-a-Box® Vocal Wizard! Click here to watch..

YouTube Find - Ballad for a Travelling Lady

We did a search for Band-in-a-Box on YouTube, and look at what we found!

Video - "Ballad for a Travelling Lady" by Stefan Leipziger

What a great use of Band-in-a-Box! Check out Stefan's YouTube Channel for even more of songs he's created with the help of Band-in-a-Box.

Forum Stats
29911 Members
61 Forums
59382 Topics
500835 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
livobase, bobkat, dennisroof00, derfeinehein, Giulio

29911 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Icelander 205
Janice & Bud 143