Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: flugelboneman
We gonna switch the usb cable. Will let u know how we make out. When we get to Carnegie Hall we don't want our backup to back up.

You do know how to get to Carnegie Hall, don't you? grin

Regards,

Bob

F
OP Offline
F
Hi Guys

Just to let you know, upgraded USB cable, changed computer drivers did almost everything possible. Did a rehearsal and played every song on gig list with no problem. Played a gig today and all of a sudden, BIAB speeds up and gives us the total willies. We are totally flummoxed. Now will change lap tops completely to see if this helps. Currently we are totally paranoid when we start out a selection, waiting for the background to pervert. Its amazing after using six different BIAB updates and never a prob in 12 years.

G
G
Fluglebone man and I are musical buddies so I'll put my two cents worth in!
First of all, the computer is an Acer Aspire E5-551 Windows 10, 64 bit with 8 gb RAM and about 800 gb free on hard drive.We've had it checked over by a technician and reinstalled the audio driver.
The mixer we use now is an MG10XU that we connect to the computer with a USB cable. The previous mixer was a Mackie that was hooked up through the computer's headset out jack.
To clarify what's happening, the "bouncing ball" black line that shows the music's position on the chord page of BIAB will occasionally stop for a second or so during playback. The music stops at the same time then continues as if nothing is wrong. You can imagine what that does to the musicians. It never speeds up but sometimes it stops completely and doesn't continue. We can open another song and it usually plays through with no drop-out.
We did a DPC Latency check which showed a maximum spike of 1400 ms.
Hope this helps.

Last edited by Gretschky; 10/09/16 04:29 AM.
Veteran
Veteran
Wow. Gretschky and Fluglebone! Great Band name. grin

Sounds to me like something is running in the background and tripping up BIAB. Eddie is the one to troubleshoot this though - HELLO.....EDDIE.....YOU THERE???

“It never speeds up but sometimes it stops completely and doesn't continue. We can open another song and it usually plays through with no drop-out.”

Have you gone through all the songs to determine if it's just affecting certain songs? If so, they might be corrupt song files.

I would disable everything not BIAB related on the laptop. Windows Updates, virus protection – everything. Your computer has plenty of juice. Check out what's running in the background.

Then, of course, there is the old “Return To Factory Settings”. grin

Regards,

Bob

Last edited by 90 dB; 10/09/16 05:37 AM. Reason: Sheer Ornryness
G
G
Thanks, Bob. I don't think that there are any corrupt files because we've played the stuttering/drop-out ones later and they are fine.
We had disabled WIFI, Anti-Virus and everything that wasn't BIAB although it's possible that we missed something so I'll take your suggestion and go through it again.
I talked to PG Music and we returned BIAB to factory settings as you and they suggested - still with no luck.
Geesh!

Veteran
Veteran
Do you absolutely need to render the BIAB file every song? Are you arranging on the fly?

I prefer fixed tracks, and use MP3's exclusively. I'm singing lead and playing guitar, and there is no way I could mix or arrange on the fly.

I know a guy who brings the entire Jet Propulsion Laboratory to a gig. I'm too simple for that. grin

Regards,

Bob

Last edited by 90 dB; 10/09/16 06:57 AM. Reason: Speeeling
Veteran
Veteran
Band-in-a-Box "builds" a song different than what you might suspect. It "builds" the first few measures, begins to play the song and "builds" the remainder of the song as a background task while also continuing to play the song. In theory the BiaB media player should never catch up with BiaB's construction of the song. In practice the media player may catch up to the construction and when the media player catches up it pauses and waits for more construction to be completed. The process is comparable to watching a video over a slow internet connection. You download part of the video prior to viewing the video, you begin to watch the video while the remainder downloads in the background. If your viewing position catches up to the downloading position, viewing pauses.

One way around this is to use RealBand to play your songs. RealBand
completely 'builds" a song before the song begins to play.

Another way to minimize the issue is (BiaB 2016 build 438) to open "Options" > "Realtracks" to open the RealTracks Settings window and place a check mark for the settings "speed up generation of realtracks (disable on slow machines)" and "High Quality Tempo/Pitch Stretching (disable on slow machines)".

Another option is to render the songs to an (wav, MP3 or wma) audio file and use the media player of your choice the play the audio files.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
G
G
I'm going to answer Jim and Bob together.

Bob Wrote, "Do you absolutely need to render the BIAB file every song? Are you arranging on the fly?"

I prepare the song in BIAB (choose the rhythm accompaniment, etc.) then hit 'Generate and Play' and after it's generated hit 'Freeze' then save it into a folder in BIAB as part of our gig list. When it's time to play the song I open the folder, click on the song and when it's loaded, hit Play and start strummin'.

Jim, we use Real Band for most of our songs. We had already checked, "speed up generation of realtracks (disable on slow machines)" but didn't check "High Quality Tempo/Pitch Stretching (disable on slow machines)" so I'll try that.

"Another option is to render the songs to an (wav, MP3 or wma) audio file and use the media player of your choice the play the audio files."

We hadn't thought of that. Thanks for the suggestions,

Danny (aka Gretschky) and Ian (aka Flugleboneman)

Veteran
Veteran
You're making it too hard on yourself. Mix the tracks down to MP3, pick up this free program, and Bob's your uncle.

http://www.mike-warren.net/dfbhelp/

Regards,

Bob

G
G
Thanks, Bob. We'll have a look at it for sure.
I listened to and bought your song, Run, and love it!
Danny

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Gretschky
Thanks, Bob. We'll have a look at it for sure.
I listened to and bought your song, Run, and love it!
Danny

Thanks Danny. You will like Digital Fakebook. It gives you lyrics as well.

Regards,

Bob

Expert
Expert
That sounds like problems I have had in the past.
First suggestion, export mix to WAV file or available file of your choosing.
Put the file on an external storage, like a thumb drive. Load it and play it on a known good computer. ( I take it you are playing this file directly into the board as part of the mix, like you would a backing track or like that. ) If problem persist, might be the board. Return all settings to default or find someone who knows that board. Boards are a specialty in themselves. These are just ideas.

I eliminated a lot of problems, such as latency, when I started using a Tascam or other brand 8-track portable digital recorder. I'll make a Band in the Box track, save it as WAV, and plug the recorder into a USB and drag & drop into a folder on the digital recorder. Actually, you can save each track as individual WAV
and load them one by one onto the recorder's flash card, then load to individual tracks. This would be rare, but for a serious work.

Link: www.soundcloud.com/ed_shaw (Feel Free to Use)
https://drooble.com/edward.shaw/hymn/index.htm
Biab for WIN 2020 -- Win 10 64bit -- Reaper/Audacity
Zoom R-16 -- Tascam DP-03-SD -- SoundTap -- Crescendo --
Veteran
Veteran
First, if you have immediate gigs coming up then by all means render these tracks to MP3 or even wav's if you have the space and just play them.

But the bigger picture is this sounds like a ASIO driver issue. I used to get that kind of thing every time I used ASIO on my old system. Any time people report glitches like this the standard reply was to not use ASIO and switch to the MME drivers. MME has latency but unless you're playing a midi controller live that doesn't matter. All you're doing is playing along so nobody cares if the song starts playing a third of a second after you hit the spacebar.

If this fixes it then later when you have time you can track down what the problem is with your ASIO driver. But, if you not playing any kind of midi controller be it a keyboard, a wind controller or guitar controller you don't need ASIO anyway.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,665
Posts735,639
Members38,533
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Jeffrey thomas, skyanderson3, akbrpra, Benfil77, William L
38,532 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 176