You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#370127 - 10/15/16 10:57 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] cut time
Loc: on the edge of the sandbar
mrgeeze Offline
Apprentice

Loc: on the edge of the sandbar
working out a song that i just can't get right.
the song is dolly's "jolene".

i like the _bcjg110.sty at about 110bpm

The groove is nice but I can't get the chords to match them.
i notice the chart for it i have is in cut time.

doubling the speed makes the backing tracks ridiculous.
cutting the chord changes to half their value won't work.

am i missing something here?

seems like i ran into a similar problem on another song.
audioengine usb audio out
tanacom 1000 deep drop (12 volt)
costa del mar sunglasses
honda element

#370153 - 10/15/16 03:33 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: cut time [Re: mrgeeze]
Loc: Australia
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Hi,

Cut common time is meant to mean a time signature of 2/2 if it's used properly - that is, it's a two-beat time. (Many people notate music incorrectly using the cut time time signature and use it as a way of meaning fast 4/4.)

I've had a look at Jolene on the internet and found a version that gives the time signature as 2/2. The tempo is 108 half-note beats per minute. This means that your chosen style at 110 bpm will work well. With this internet version of the music, the chords are...

• Dm (bar 1)
  • F (bar 2)
  • C (bar 3)
  • Dm (bar 4), etc.

Since each bar in the song only contains two beats, to enter the above chords using _bcjg110.sty there are two possible approaches that I can think of.

Approach 1
(Using _bcjg110.sty as a 4/4 style)

It is necessary to keep in mind that to achieve 2 beats to a bar feel, one bar of the BIAB chord sheet needs to play two bars of the music. The tempo of the chord sheet remains at 110 bpm.

With the above in mind, try entering this...

• Dm (bar 1, beat 1)
  • F (bar 1, beat 3)
  • C (bar 2, beat 1)
  • Dm (bar 2, beat 3), etc.

In other words think of the 4/4 bar as really two bars in cut time; Beats 1 & 2 are one bar, and beats 3 & 4 are the second bar

Approach 2 (my preferred approach)
(Using _bcjg110.sty as a two-beat style)

After setting the the 4/4 style, right click on bar 1, enter into "Bar Settings" and set the "# Beats this bar" to 2. It's set to '3' on the image below.

When this is done, the chords can be entered exactly as on the sheet music since each bar now only contains two beats. The tempo remains set to 110 bpm. When generated, the style will accommodate this time signature.

That is, after changing the number of beats per bar, enter the chords....

• Dm (bar 1)
  • F (bar 2)
  • C (bar 3)
  • Dm (bar 4), etc.

With this second approach and Realtracks and Realdrums, its success will depend on the individual RT/RD files. I anticipate that some RTs and RDs will work better than others. Trial and error will tell. If it turns out that a particular RT/RD does not generate well at 2 beats to the bar, then Approach 1 is the way to go.

Hope this helps,
Noel Adams

#370225 - 10/16/16 03:02 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: cut time [Re: mrgeeze]
Loc: Hatfield, UK
ovation99 Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Hatfield, UK
What a great tip! Up till now I thought I didnt have any 2/2 styles.
Thanks Noel and thanks to mrgeeze for asking the question.

Al
M-Audio Axiom 61, Samson Graphite 49.
Lenove Flex 15, i3,Windows 10

#370231 - 10/16/16 05:39 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: cut time [Re: mrgeeze]
Loc: Fort Pierce, Florida, U.S.A.
Notes Norton Offline
Veteran

Loc: Fort Pierce, Florida, U.S.A.
Noel is right.

The way I think about BiaB is neither measures nor time signatures. That doesn't work.

Each numbered area in the matrix is a cell, not a measure. It either contains 4 or 3 beats but can be forced to 1 or 2 by using the F5 key.

So if you want 2/4 or 2/2 time, each BiaB cell can equal 2 measures.

Use a triplet based sw8 style and one BiaB cell can equal 12/8 time or two measures of 6/8 time.

If you have a quick 6/8 that's taken in 6, sometimes a waltz style or using F5 to make each cell a half measure will work better.

Turn cell #1 to 3 beats (using F5) and cell #2 to 2 beats (F5) and the combination of cells 1&2 become one 5/4 measure.

You could make a 5/4 style where an entire measure fits in one BiaB cell, but all but the first chord would be in the wrong place, as BiaB puts no more than 4 evenly spaced chords in each cell.

7/4? A cell of 4 and another of 3 and you have two cells equaling one 7/4 measure of music.

But that also depends on the style. I wrote some EXPANDED styles that make each cell a half measure and REDUCED styles that do the opposite. These are kludges to bypass limitations of the BiaB app.

The EXPANDED styles allow you to put up to 8 chords in a measure of music, or a chord both on the beat and the up-beat before it.

The REDUCED style allow the opposite, for 2 bars of music in 1 BiaB cell.

So you see, the way to go is forget about BiaB cells equaling a bar of music, but instead, how many beats (or sub beats) it can contain. This can extremely increase the versatility of BiaB and your understanding of how BiaB works.

Insights and incites by Notes

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks

#370255 - 10/16/16 08:57 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: cut time [Re: mrgeeze]
Loc: Hudson Valley & Lake George NY
Matt Finley Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Hudson Valley & Lake George NY
For more on cut time regarding RealDrums, you might be interested in this thread in the Wishlist: http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=370173#Post370173
BIAB 2019 Win Audiophile; [& 2018 Mac UltraPak]. Software: Cakewalk, Adobe Audition, Ozone, Encore; Win 10 64 Pro. Hardware: custom i7, 16 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Focusrite 18i20(2), TCE Finalizer, Behringer X-Touch, Adam sub & monitors.

#370294 - 10/16/16 04:52 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: cut time [Re: mrgeeze]
Loc: REDLAND BAY, Qld., AUSTRALIA
Graham Martin Offline
Expert

Loc: REDLAND BAY, Qld., AUSTRALIA
I had a similar problem over the weekend when I was trying to do the Bee Gees' "I Started A Joke" as a smooth jazz tune.

The Music was shown as common time with the instruction, "Moderately slow, in 2". Each bar had the value of four quarter notes (crotchets).

For me it worked very well entering the music and chords exactly as they were shown on the music and then using the menu item 'Edit', 'Song Form', 'Reduce (durations of chords by 1/2)'.

I had already worked out the tempo from listening to the Bee Gee's recording and counting it as 72 beats per minute in what I thought was 4/4 time. I used the "Smooth Jazz Poppy Rhythm" style and it is perfect.

Obviously I can't play it up in the stratosphere where Robin is with his vocal but I changed the key to 'C' and it makes a great trombone feature. grin

PG Music News
Holiday Hours - Family Day (Mon, Feb 18)

Monday, February 18th is Family Day!

Our hours on this holiday will be:
Customer Service: 8:00AM to 4:00PM PST
Technical Support: Closed.

Regular hours resume Tuesday, February 19th.

www.pgmusic.com/contact.htm

Video - Setting And Organizing Your Favorite Styles in Band-in-a-Box® for Windows

Learn how quickly you can set up and organize your list of your favorite styles in Band-in-a-Box® with our latest video - we have more than 6,000 Styles, so you could find this feature VERY helpful to streamline your songwriting! Click here to watch the video on our YouTube channel.

Visit Chapter 6 of the Online Manual to read more about applying Styles within Band-in-a-Box®.

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Build 619 Available

An update is available for Band-in-a-Box® Version 2019!

Learn more about this update & download it here.

This is a cumulative update patch, which works from any 2019 build. VST DAW Plugin update to 1.11.14 is included in this patch.

There is also a separate RealTracks patch available! Click here to review the updates and download this patch.

Summary of changes for Band-in-a-Box® Version 2019 build 619:
Fixed: "Pause Play until MIDI or key received" setting did not work if using WAS audio drivers.
Fixed: Some important flash messages were not displaying properly.
Fixed: The 64 bit version did not have the MIDI Monitor window.
Fixed: The drums window would not update after toggling "Display QWERTY Chars On Drums" setting.
Fixed: Saving an XML or ABC file will sometimes crash Band-in-a-Box.
Fixed: Some ASIO devices would fail to start with error "Your ASIO driver uses a MAC-based data format. The program does not support MAC-basedformats."
Improved: ASIO now supports extra audio formats: 64 bit float samples, and big endian sample types (16, 18, 20, 24, & 32 bit).
Fixed: If an ASIO audio device has more than 32 input or output ports, Band-in-a-Box would crash with an access violation when leaving the ASIO Audio Drivers window.
Fixed: Silent gaps between RealTracks riffs were not being filled.
Fixed: There were undesirable gaps between riffs in RealTracks 1278: Synth Pad, PopUplift Ev 120.

Summary of fixes for the VST DAW Plugin:
Fixed: Generating a single RealDrums rendered wrong track and had wrong name sometimes.
Fixed: UserTracks not showing correct name, or not generating sometimes.
Fixed: Loops and UserTracks were sometimes ALL CAPS names.
Fixed: Drums track names showed up as "N/A" drums when style loaded from a song.
Improved: Generating only the master works better.
Improved: Master.mid and indivudal MIDI files are saved.
Improved: Names for style tracks when on melody or soloist.
Fixed: Generating a loop when the style contained a soloist track wasn't working.
Fixed: In some DAWs an error could occur while dragging tracks.
Fixed: Blue square filled up after generating only master track.
Fixed: Midi playback caused crash in some DAWs (e.g. Pro Tools, Studio One)
Fixed: Render hangs with large render wav file in some cases.

The Band-in-a-Box® 2019 49-PAK with 40 Unreleased RealTracks!

Our Band-in-a-Box® 2019 49-PAK is still available, and it's PACKED with Add-ons you'll want in your Band-in-a-Box® library!

The 2019 49-PAK includes 40 UNRELEASED RealTracks, 10 "Low Man" & Re-amped "12-Key" Metal/Thrash Electric Guitar RealTracks, 6 MIDI SuperTracks in MIDI SuperTracks Set 28: Pop Basses, 6 more MIDI SuperTracks with Set 29: More Organ, Piano & Accordion, 21 RealDrums Transcriptions, 240 guitar licks and riffs in Instrumental Studies 7: Brent Mason 12-key CountryPop Guitar Licks and Instrumental Studies 8: Brent Mason 12-key Train-Beat Licks, 30 new MIDI Styles, and Artist Performance Set 9: Celtic Flute with Geoff Kelly! Learn more and listen to demos: www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.49pak.htm

Add this to your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase for just $49! Purchasing an UltraPAK, UltraPAK+ or Audiophile Edition? As of January 16th, the 49-PAK is included in your purchase (uncompressed RealTracks files for the Audiophile too)!

Learn more about the 49-PAK and listen to demos at https://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.49pak.htm

Video - Selecting the Best RealTracks for Your Song in Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows

With over 2,700 RealTracks available for Band-in-a-Box®, you may find this "Selecting the Best RealTracks for your Song" video helpful! In this video we go over the "select best RealTracks" dialog within Band-in-a-Box® 2019: Click here to watch.

For more information on this feature, visit the Chapter 6 | Using RealTracks in Songs

Video - Band-in-a-Box® for Windows: The Soloist Overview

Get to know the Band-in-a-Box® Soloist feature with our latest video: Watch now...

Read more about this feature within our Online manual: Chapter 6 | Adding Solo - "The Soloist"

Video - The Band-in-a-Box® 2019 VST DAW Plugin for Windows® in Nuendo® - Extended Version!

This video is the EXTENDED VERSION of our previous video that demonstrates the Band-in-a-Box® 2019 VST DAW Plugin for Windows® in Nuendo® - Click here to watch.

View all of our the Band-in-a-Box® 2019 VST DAW Plugin videos here, or check out the YouTube Playlist.

Forum Stats
28970 Members
60 Forums
56923 Topics
475576 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
joedenly, Dave1952, Zabbadav, Pine, ela142-1928

28970 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Pipeline 196
VideoTrack 182