Beginners Forum
T
Torq2 Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
T
Hi,

I only heard about BIAB a couple of months ago and thought I'd give it a try. After parting with the hard earned and downloading it, I find that I have BIAB and Realtracks. as well as some synth thing. Apart from the fact that Realtracks keeps locking up everytime I try to use it, I can't really see much difference from BIAB. What is the point of two similar programs?

Torq2 #384175 12/16/16 02:59 AM
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Howdy. You've come to the right place, but folks will need more info. Version? Operating System? Geekbench score? That would help a lot.

Regards,

Bob

Torq2 #384204 12/16/16 04:51 AM
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Torq2
Hi,

Realtracks keeps locking up everytime I try to use it, I can't really see much difference from BIAB. What is the point of two similar programs?

You have a bunch of terminology to learn. I assume you at talking about RealBand versus BIAB? Realtracks are simply the audio files which are used in both programs.

Biggest difference is in recording. BIAB can do only one recorded audio track with little to no editing permitted. While Realband is much more like a true DAW. It records multiple tracks with full editing ability.

Does that help?

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Torq2 #384323 12/16/16 01:53 PM
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
BiaB is a song creation tool and auto-accompaniment software.
Meant to be fast, basic easy-to-use tool for generating backing tracks.

RealBand (RB) started as a MIDI sequencer (named PowerTracks), then added audio multitracking capabilities, more ports for audio and MIDI, then once the ability to generate tracks from the same files BiaB uses was added, it became RB.. to this day it is a combination of Powertracks and BiaB in my eyes.

Because of this it is much different.
Generation is meant to be an 'intentional' action in RB; it is slower when mass generating BiaB tracks but can be more flexible than BiaB.

It doesn't have the 'read ahead' capability that BiaB does, which makes it seems like BiaB is faster .. however when you consider BiaB is dealing with 9 tracks and RB can have 48, there is going to be a difference.

Also, RB is meant to act more like a DAW as far as how features are implemented. So another reason it doesn't do the auto-generate/look ahead thing is because in a DAW environment you usually don't want tracks to keep changing. You are working on sections or single tracks..

Another example is using multi-riff. Because RB has more available tracks you can generate (say) a sax solo 8 times (all different variations) in one pass, all to different tracks, and then pick through what you like.
BiaB can't do that.

They ARE different, it just takes a while to see the difference.
And because of the different history, both need to be set up individually to work most efficiently.

Two simple things I notice help RB performance during any setup:
Don't run it from the same drive as the OS if possible (or at least take advantage of Temp Directory setting if you can).

Test your Driver settings and take a minute to look at what is being used and what is available. Experiment.
Ask questions, like you are..

When exactly does RB lock up?

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
rharv #384343 12/16/16 02:21 PM
Beginners Forum
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Originally Posted By: rharv

Two simple things I notice help RB performance during any setup:
Don't run it from the same drive as the OS if possible (or at least take advantage of Temp Directory setting if you can).

Test your Driver settings and take a minute to look at what is being used and what is available. Experiment.
Ask questions, like you are..

are you suggesting realband not be installed on the c: as is normal but a faster one internal or external if its available

Lenovo YOGA 900 Window s 10 Home 64bit 16GB RAM\2018 13” MacBook Air casio wk7500 presonus audiobox i2 usb interface
casio wk-7500
biab & realband 2023 everything pk both with Current builds
Torq2 #384470 12/17/16 04:13 AM
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
rharv provided a good explanation of the differences.

My point of view.... Band In A Box (BB) is my writing tool. It's where I compose the song. I choose the key, the tempo, the style, the structure and work out the details for the finished song.

I save and close it then open Real Band (RB) and load that same file. I then add other parts that were not a part of the style in BB. For example a rock style fits well in today's country music but it doesn't have steel or fiddle or dobro. In RB I can easily add those and more to the song.

To me, they are similar but very different in how I use them. BB will not do what RB does and vice verse.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
pghboemike #384519 12/17/16 07:00 AM
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: pghboemike

are you suggesting realband not be installed on the c: as is normal but a faster one internal or external if its available

It's just an executable program that can run from anywhere. What I like to do is install programs on my SSD drive because they load so much faster. Then I save the data on a regular hard drive.

You could put it on the drive with the most free space, or anywhere you want. If you are moving the files, just change the location of the desktop shortcut icon.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
pghboemike #384555 12/17/16 09:16 AM
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
I'll try to explain the inner workings as *I* understand them, and seems to be verified by testing/use ..

When using RB, you of course have the main OS drive (usually C:)
This drive is reading/writing everything going on with the OS (program updates, antivirus, Windows actions etc) as well as the program itself (if installed on C:).
Now you can run RB from that same drive, and I do quite often without issue.
But consider this:

When RB is reading (during simple playback) it is streaming audio multitrack data from a hard drive.
Now, if you record at the same time RB is also trying to 'write' to the same drive while 'reading' streaming multitrack audio. You've increased the load on the drive significantly. It is trying to read and write while jumping around and trying to keep things all lined up. This is called thrashing in extreme cases.

Also if you regenerate a section of track(s) RB now is trying to create the new generation (while reading the original designated PGMusic file and writing the new section) and ALSO writing the backup (or UNDO) file scrap so you can use the undo function. Again the drive is the most likely point of slowness if it is all happening on the same drive.

I find that
A. Using a separate drive to run RB from (and read the Realtracks from) has little to no negative effect. Especially if a separate internal drive
B. Using a separate drive to 'write' to (for both incoming audio recording and the backup of a regeneration and/or edits) speeds things up and causes less error.
I use a separate 500 gig drive (internal) for the "Temp Audio Directory". This is where all the 'chunks' of data get stored while working, for both edits and recording in RB. I can watch this directory change as I make edits and regenerate, so I know this is true.
I also know every time you save a SEQ file RB 'interweaves' the data to be streamed to make it more efficient for the drive to read.
If you don't 'save' and these chunks are spread across your C: drive it makes sense they are causing that drive to work harder. So the first message is to save often, though this can cost you sometimes in the number of 'Undo' options.

Eventually, after a period of time in a single session RB can end up working with many small chunks of audio all over. If one drive has to find and handle all of them it can decrease performance, whereas if multiple drives are handling the load it is more efficient.

YMMV of course, just rharv's point of view

Mind you, this is not a knock on the software; they design it to work on every system, even if the only drive available is a cramped C: drive, so the defaults are set to work this way.
I just find these adjustments during setup make things more enjoyable here .. and on other systems I've worked on. And faster.
Like I said near the end of the quoted post; Experiment.

Last edited by rharv; 12/17/16 09:31 AM.

Torq2 #384561 12/17/16 09:37 AM
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
I concur with all that Rharv wrote.

Torq2, did all this help or have we overwhelmed you?

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Torq2 #384574 12/17/16 10:13 AM
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
Also if you regenerate a section of track(s) RB now is trying to create the new generation (while reading the original designated PGMusic file and writing the new section) and ALSO writing the backup (or UNDO) file scrap so you can use the undo function. Again the drive is the most likely point of slowness if it is all happening on the same drive.

The above is being re-quoted by myself to point out that Undo is available in RB consistently, while in BiaB I don't think it needs to write an Undo .. you get what you get every time you hit play and it regenerates the song.
So there are 2 big differences in how generation is handled;
In BiaB it is faster (but less Undo options) which allows it to regenerate and play at the same time.
RB has more Undo capabilities because it writes an Undo scrap in the Temp Audio Directory (and generates what you selected) before starting playback. Which takes longer for obvious reasons.

Temp Audio Directory is a setting in Audio Prefs for RB. I've said this many times; it is worth noting! If possible use a different drive with little load.
I've crashed Audition, Sonar, ProTools, Reaper .. pretty much all of them. With proper setup (and horsepower) I've also ran all of them successfully.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
DriveUse.jpg (60.67 KB, 71 downloads)

Torq2 #384612 12/17/16 12:22 PM
Beginners Forum
P
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
P
Thank you Rharv, That was very informative to a newcomer like myself.

I am actually running the entire program (utra-pak) on my Surface Pro. One TB SSD on this machine using all stock settings,cause I don't know any better. I have had zero issues running this program with the entire system on one drive. I am running 8GB of ram, so if the OP was running a machine with,say 2 or 4 GB, that could be a bottleneck??

I will say,I use RB very little as I am trying to pick up information from you guys on the forum here...but so far,so good with the Surface Pro. (I was skeptic)

I think I will take your advise and purchase another 1TB SSD and see if even I can get better performance.

BIAB 2020 Ultrapak HP Elitebook 8770W Intel I7 2.3GHz 12GB
Windows 10pro 64Bit
props2 #384623 12/17/16 01:13 PM
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
A Surface Pro should be able to run RB just fine. Especially with 8 GB RAM.
I've used these for much more demanding tasks, and they are good machines.

In this setting an additional internal drive is not really an option, but you may see performance increase with an external USB ..
not sure I'd worry about it though if I were in your shoes; if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Beginners Forum
T
Torq2 Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
T
Yes it has, thanks to everyone who replied. Sorry for the slow response I haven't been online lately. RB seems to be ok now, it was locking when i was trying to choose audio drivers. After setting up Biab successfully I have now manged to do the same for RB.

I must admit i am blown away by it, I can't believe that I hadn't come across it before. I always wanted a program that could just generate a reasonable backing track without me having to is for hours inputting all the notes. Part of the reason is because I have never liked computer based music software and have always used analogue hardware.

Once again thinks for taking the time to reply, it has been very helpful

Regards

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,395
Posts732,501
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195