Print Thread
Go To
#386980 12/29/16 04:43 AM
Beginners Forum
WendyM Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
I just bought 2017Everything and the forte pack. I love all these realtrax but none of the midi styles work. I seem only to able to use half a biab. Apart from drums the tracks are silent but the meters move. I had biab years ago so know how to put in chords so its not that. I trid changing a couple to realtrax and they play ok so its not that. Hubby checked for me and creative audigy sound card has midi set to full volume so its not that either. It asked me to get coyote wavetable so i got it from Help but still no midi sounds.
Disappointed it won't work straight out of the box. What should i look for next?
K.I.S.S please!
If I need to spend even more money i might have to call it quits and ask for a refund.

WendyM #386995 12/29/16 05:17 AM
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
After you installed the Coyote Wavetable, did you tell BIAB to actually use it as your default MIDI synth?

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
jford #387001 12/29/16 05:24 AM
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
E
Originally Posted By: jford
After you installed the Coyote Wavetable, did you tell BIAB to actually use it as your default MIDI synth?

its up in the Prefs - midi driver. The dialogue doesnt tell you that you have to do that afterwards.
Ian

Last edited by sixchannel; 12/29/16 06:16 AM.

Old Guys Rule.The older I get,the better I was!
BB2023 ULTRA, 1013, Win 7 and 10

ALL TRACKS - https://app.box.com/s/501rnzrbadng1elvi45hbf7y08kl5oxp
SOUNDCLOUD-tracks using BB-
http://soundcloud.com/sixchannel
Videos-
https://youtube.com/user/Sixchannel1
WendyM #387017 12/29/16 06:36 AM
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Follow the number to set up a soft synth as the default for your midi sounds.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

WendyM #387126 12/29/16 02:55 PM
Beginners Forum
P
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
P
Music Student, Thank you for this info.I could not get it to work either.Question... the dialog box for my Coyote WT only shows pianos. I guess i just need to dive into this,its all too new to me. It would be great if PG would come up with a tutorial from start to finish on building a song using real tracks and show how to add some of this midi or hi-q patches for extra instruments or sounds or other embellishments.Don't get me wrong...real tracks are awesome but sometimes I just want to sweeten it up.

Thanks again

BIAB 2020 Ultrapak HP Elitebook 8770W Intel I7 2.3GHz 12GB
Windows 10pro 64Bit
WendyM #387134 12/29/16 03:48 PM
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
the dialog box for my Coyote WT only shows pianos

Maybe try right clicking around a bit on that synth window.
You should be able to change sounds for each MIDI channel.
Or maybe your windows version has an extremely limited sound set (?)
I suppose it is possible but not likely (WT uses the Windows sound set).

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
WendyM #387617 01/01/17 02:03 AM
Beginners Forum
WendyM Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
First off-Happy New Year. 2017 here I come.
Thank you for all the help. I have got forte to work now. Leastways it dounds way better than before.I dont know how to do the screen photo for here so cant show it.
But i have Sfirzando with my Ultra. I get that its for some special midi sounds but cant work out how I'd toggle (?) from one to the other without jessing up the forte.
WendyM

BiaB2022PLUS,927. every extras pack I can find ;-),Sonar7XL,Win 10
WendyM #387699 01/01/17 08:13 AM
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
If in BiaB this may be complicated.
In RB you can easily assign a given track to a new 'Port'. This Port can hold a new synth or a new instance of the same synth used elsewhere.

For what it's worth, sForzando is not just for the included "special midi sounds". You can add additional sounds to it.

To explain:
Tracks get routed to ports.
These Ports contain an output device (either a softsynth as you mention or a physical MIDI output that could connect to any hardware device/synth). BiaB (I think) has very limited MIDI ports. RB has 32.

In turn, the MIDI channel for the given port can further filter on down to other selections.
MIDI is pretty flexible once you get how the signal flow works.

To post a screen shot:
Save it on your computer, make sure to click the Reply button in the forum (and not use the Quick Reply below)
.. then there is a File Manager option to upload your screen shot.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
FileMngr.jpg (90.9 KB, 81 downloads)
Last edited by rharv; 01/01/17 08:23 AM.

WendyM #387732 01/01/17 09:46 AM
Beginners Forum
WendyM Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
thank you rharv. It doesnt mean a lot to me at the moment but im going t re-read it and hopfully make sense for the future.
Going to full reply doesnt give me the file manager, as you have. Post options are only Add this thread to my watched topics and Add my signature to this post. Nothing after that.
Phew. Into BB only a few days now and already im learning.
WendyM

WendyM #387746 01/01/17 10:06 AM
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Maybe you need a few more posts before File Manager becomes available (?)
I'm not aware of any limit but I suppose there could be ..

WendyM #388563 01/05/17 12:32 PM
Beginners Forum
WendyM Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Sorry I cant find any way of direct posting of a picture. File manager is not on my Reply page.
So I'm using my Box.net account. The picture shows how it is at the momwent.I have got Forte working and it sounds good.
How do I now add sforzando to it WITHOUT jessing up the forte please.
I hope you can help. Its driving me bonkers.
WendyM
https://app.box.com/s/ujsxtgb1gd2ly5fpdn3zknh2nw9oeqnl

WendyM #388582 01/05/17 01:43 PM
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Which program, BiaB or RB?

In BiaB you may be stuck where you are without invoking a third part rerouting option like LoopBe or similar. A member here wrote one also.

In RB it's pretty easy. Right-Click a track and route the track to a different Softsynth 'Port' and assign another synth to that Port.

Right-Click a MIDI track
Click Port
Select any port between 17-31
RB prompts you to load a synth for it.

rharv #388689 01/06/17 07:28 AM
Beginners Forum
WendyM Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Originally Posted By: rharv
Which program, BiaB or RB?

In BiaB you may be stuck where you are without invoking a third part rerouting option like LoopBe or similar. A member here wrote one also.

In RB it's pretty easy. Right-Click a track and route the track to a different Softsynth 'Port' and assign another synth to that Port.

Right-Click a MIDI track
Click Port
Select any port between 17-31
RB prompts you to load a synth for it.

Im using BB. Havent looked at RB yet. I intended to do all my arranging such as it is in BB so I want that to work.
Question. If its that easy to do in RB,and PG invented them both,WHY cant you do it in BB?
WendyM

WendyM #388782 01/06/17 01:59 PM
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Well, true, 'PGMusic' produced both programs, but they are two different programs with a long history, written by two different people that got connected later and started merging ideas.
PG (Peter Gannon) I believe is the original author for BiaB, but Jeff Yankauer is for PT (Powertracks) which eventually morphed into RB.

BiaB is and always has been a quick great arrangement/accompaniment tool.
RB used to be a multi-track DAW (PT) but has evolved and now incorporates BiaB features in a more DAW like setting.

In some ways RB is better, one of them being routing options for MIDI and Audio.
Another is RB has more tracks to work with (48 vs 8). And they can be Audio or MIDI, doesn't matter.

I'm probably different than most; I was a long time PT user before RB came out. RB is what made me take the time to see what BiaB could really do; it is faster at some things. I had owned it but not used it much.

TBH, once RB came out, I found it fit my workflow very well and I started looking closer at the BiaB features.
Some people start the other way; they use BiaB most first.
Since I was already a PT user I was drawn to RB a LOT, and BiaB use was pretty sparse, until I caught on to the things it does do better.

WendyM #389314 01/09/17 09:32 AM
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
For Sforzando, just install it and make note of where it put the 32-bit VST. Then open the VST/VSTi screen and add it to your list. Once you've done that, it is now available for BIAB to use it with Super MIDI tracks. If you want to use it separately, then just select the track under the plugins tab of the mixer and select Sforzando (which should now show up in the list). However, it won't respond to whatever instrument was set on the track (since it's not General MIDI compliant). You have to select an instrument and make sure it is mapped to the correct MIDI channel for it to work. Once you do that, you can save that setting if you ever want to easily bring it back up.

But don't use SFZ as your default MIDI synth, as that is not its purpose. It is best use to replace individual instruments on a track by track basis. Keep the Coyote synth as your default synth (or TTS-1 or Coyote Forte should you choose to go that route later), and then use SFZ on a track by track basis. You will get several instrument selections from PGMusic to use, but you can also use freely downloaded SFZ or SF2 (soundfont) sounds.

Again, you have to load the instrument you want and map it to the channel you want. If you select Options, there is a channels tab that tells you which tracks use which channels. I'd write that down and keep it at your desk. In the mixer, you can also rename the track to better reflect the new instrument you loaded.

I'm not at my music computer right now, so I can't post any pictures on how to do that, but if Noel or Trevor don't beat me to it, I'll try to remember to do so this evening.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
jford #389409 01/10/17 01:33 AM
Beginners Forum
WendyM Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Thanks John. J'know I think I got most of that. crazy
Afaik I installed Sforzando.
If you do get chance id like to see your pics.
WendyM

WendyM #389418 01/10/17 03:31 AM
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: WendyM

Im using BB. Havent looked at RB yet. I intended to do all my arranging such as it is in BB so I want that to work.
Question. If its that easy to do in RB,and PG invented them both,WHY cant you do it in BB?
WendyM

While the 2 programs are by the same company and work together and in similar fashion, they really do have 2 very unique purposes. Use them for their strengths to work efficiently.

Kinda like tools... while you can use a pair of lineman's pliers as a hammer to drive a nail, you get the job done more efficiently using a hammer. But that doesn't mean you can't drive a nail with the pliers, it's just easier to use a hammer, especially if you're driving a lot of nails.

I arrange my songs in BB.... getting the structure right... verses, chorus, bridge, intro, ending, tempo, key..... etc....

RB and other DAW's give you a much better environment to do editing and mixing. Cut, copy, paste, delete, are all much easier to accomplish in a DAW than in BB. Besides, you are limited to a small number (6) tracks in BB whereas in RB and other DAW's that number is much higher depending on the particular DAW. Some allow in excess of 200 tracks.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,399
Posts732,550
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199