Go To
Beginners Forum
P
props2 Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
P
I am looking for some advice on what to look for to achieve a better sounding soft synth. My feeling is both synths that come with this package is....well marginal at best.I have tried them with some of the super midi and they sound ok,but limited on my instrument selection and quality.RealTracks sound great but I am also reaching for more to customize my backing tracks. I play electric bass and enjoy playing a variety if genre's, but mostly smooth jazz/funk blues and country. I have listened to the synth demos PG has provided on the other software page,and seems each synth has a strong suite.My preference would be to keep using BIAB/RB as I am new to this and have never used any other daw software. I guess I just need to understand a bit more about the limitations of soft synths and what to watch out for to use this program. Where do I expand my library for quality midi files? Are there quality programs that I should look at to compliment BIAB/RB?
I realize this is a loaded question as to the open checkbook...but I am a bit of a tight wad. grin

BIAB 2020 Ultrapak HP Elitebook 8770W Intel I7 2.3GHz 12GB
Windows 10pro 64Bit
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
For your use, and minimal cost, I'd think the TTS-1 would be better than Coyote or other (fairly) inexpensive ones.

http://www.pgmusic.com/musiccreator.htm

Whether you decide to try Cakewalk as a DAW is up to you, but for the cost you get the synth too.
Not sure if you can find it for less $$ elsewhere, didn't check. That's up to your self-proclaimed 'tight wad' side. <grin>

Anyway, I think it'll work better for your style than most others at this cost.

In RB you can easily use many different synths, so if you like Drums 'A' from one synth and piano 'B' from another you can have both. (or many more)

As far as sound quality and control, I find hardware better, but way more expensive.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Cakewalk's Music Creator (MC) comes with TTS which really isn't a big improvement over what you have. I wouldn't buy MC for TTS. I would however, buy MC for Sound Center.

MC has the Cakewalk Sound Center (CSC) which is a sample synth and Cakewalk sells a number of add on sound libraries for $20 or so each. In addition it has other sound... bass, keys, pads and guitar synths in it. I've never used them so I can't say much from a personal experience thing.... but others use them in the Cakewalk forums and they do sound good.

CSC sounds really nice for the price. I have it and use it a lot for bass and piano when I need to do a custom midi part using a synth.

Another synth to consider is Native Instruments Kontakt. This one is more expensive but well worth every dollar. It also is a sampler and has a complete orchestra as well as a number of other things in it. If you can afford it, the NI Komplete set is an entire group of high quality synths. Pads, strings, sounds, instruments, drums, and more. Kontakt also has the distinction of being a professional quality synth. You can use it for TV & Film as well as Gaming scores. In addition, it has a very large and decent 3rd party aftermarket group of vendors who make unique sound libraries for it. I've picked up and used a few of these and they are awesome. Very realistic sounds all the way around with Kontakt.

Another option is the East/West libraries. Very high quality stuff, but not cheap. Again, worth every dollar. I also have one of the E/W library synths.

Those are my 3 recommendations and I own and use all 3.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Props2,

The TTS-1 soft synth is a really nice tool to have in your musical toolbox. It is one of the few (with Coyote Forte being the other) GM compatible multi-timbrel soft synths. A GM compatible multi-timbrel soft synth plays multiple instrument sounds simultaneously. GM compatible means they automatically select and insert the instrument so you don't have to worry about midi settings. Many people use TTS-1 or Forte as their primary soft synths to create their songs because of their ease-of-use and have decent instrument sounds.

A step above would be ++ SampleTank ++ or ++ Omnisphere2 ++ While both are multi-timbrel they are not GM compatible so you will have to select and load each instrument sound (most people call an instrument sound a "patch").

Your next xhoice is something like ++ KontaKt ++ where the player plays 1 instrument patch.

One last option you may want to consider and that is to buy an inexpensive all-in-one keyboard with midi and audio connections. Most likely the most inexpensive solution besides Forte or TTS-1

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
props,
Coyote Forte is the best bang for your buck (well, that's my opinion at least). Keep in mind BIAB is a GM program and therefore really needs a GM synth to do what it does (in a simple manner). But that does not mean you can not move on at some point to a dedicated non GM VSTi synths which are sounds which can be more fine tuned for quality and realism. Most of us use these in a dedicated DAW.

BTW, McHenry Il, is just minutes up the road from me down here at Route 12 and 22 ???

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Cakewalk's Music Creator (MC) comes with TTS which really isn't a big improvement over what you have. I wouldn't buy MC for TTS. I would however, buy MC for Sound Center.

MC has the Cakewalk Sound Center (CSC) which is a sample synth and Cakewalk sells a number of add on sound libraries for $20 or so each. In addition it has other sound... bass, keys, pads and guitar synths in it. I've never used them so I can't say much from a personal experience thing.... but others use them in the Cakewalk forums and they do sound good.

CSC sounds really nice for the price. I have it and use it a lot for bass and piano when I need to do a custom midi part using a synth.

Another synth to consider is Native Instruments Kontakt. This one is more expensive but well worth every dollar. It also is a sampler and has a complete orchestra as well as a number of other things in it. If you can afford it, the NI Komplete set is an entire group of high quality synths. Pads, strings, sounds, instruments, drums, and more. Kontakt also has the distinction of being a professional quality synth. You can use it for TV & Film as well as Gaming scores. In addition, it has a very large and decent 3rd party aftermarket group of vendors who make unique sound libraries for it. I've picked up and used a few of these and they are awesome. Very realistic sounds all the way around with Kontakt.

Another option is the East/West libraries. Very high quality stuff, but not cheap. Again, worth every dollar. I also have one of the E/W library synths.

Those are my 3 recommendations and I own and use all 3.

I also have all three and agree with Herb. Kontakt is my go to sound source for most all of my sounds, although I do have and use others.

I would like to state that Kontakt is not a sampler for recording sounds: note there are some very good free sound samplers, just google/bing to find them. Kontakt is a sampler in the realm of taking sampled sounds, placing them on certain keys (turning them into an instrument) so you can play them with a MIDI controller. I just wanted to clear that up in case one was going to buy Kontakt to sample sounds.

Personally my choice for a beginner would by to get CSC, learn it then get Kontakt. East/West libraries are extremely good but they can be a little harder to set up and use, but YMMV. But by all means if you can afford all three these are the three to get, just be sure to budget more money for more sounds for them. All three have extra sounds/patches that you buy. Now you know why I am always broke!

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Props

Another possibility.....

If you are comfortable not using a general midi synth but using one where individual tracks are set (like Kontact), you could use Sforzando that comes with BIAB 2017 and soundfonts. There are heaps of soundfonts on the net for free.... some are really good and some are really bad.

Also some instruments translate and play back really well as midi (e.g. piano, organ, strings, etc.). Some others don't always sound as good when interpreted as midi. For these, the instrumental nuances that define 'realism' require advanced midi engineering skills and the midi file in use might not always contain such data.

Lastly, if you want to learn how to drive midi, this is much easier done in Realband than BIAB (as rharv has already mentioned).

Regards
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Very good points Noel.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Herb & Mario,

Thanks for mentioning Cakewalk Sound Center. I didn't even think of it and I should because I have it. The difference is my version came with Music Creator 6 and the only included instrument patch is for the drums. MC7 includes drums, bass, strings and electric piano (if my memory is correct).

Another bonus with Music Creator 7 is it, and its accessories, are available in both 32 & 64 bit and you are allowed to download and use both versions!

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Beginners Forum
P
props2 Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
P
Thanks guys for your input. Calkwalk is probably the way I should go, because I need to learn. At the same time I am in the camp of "I hate to buys tools twice". Its a sickness of mine. I don't mind spending the money if it really works for me.I have looked at Kontakt and was intrigued by it,but I dont know what I dont know.I have not done any recording...heck I dont even have an interface yet,as I am still learning about those. My primary interest is making quality backing tracks. BIAB has been great at getting me hooked in this stuff. Sheesh...its never going to end,is it? Guys, thanks again for taking your time to help out. I will take everyone's advise and try to make an informed decision. Maybe hardware has to come into play??

Windows 10pro 64Bit
Beginners Forum
P
props2 Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
P
Originally Posted By: MusicStudent
props,
Coyote Forte is the best bang for your buck (well, that's my opinion at least). Keep in mind BIAB is a GM program and therefore really needs a GM synth to do what it does (in a simple manner). But that does not mean you can not move on at some point to a dedicated non GM VSTi synths which are sounds which can be more fine tuned for quality and realism. Most of us use these in a dedicated DAW.

BTW, McHenry Il, is just minutes up the road from me down here at Route 12 and 22 ???

Ah yes..Lake Zurich?? I know that busy intersection all too well. That was my route to Oak Brook everyday. I spend most of my time at my second home in Des Moines Iowa.

Windows 10pro 64Bit
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: props2
Thanks guys for your input. Calkwalk is probably the way I should go, because I need to learn. At the same time I am in the camp of "I hate to buys tools twice". Its a sickness of mine. I don't mind spending the money if it really works for me.I have looked at Kontakt and was intrigued by it,but I dont know what I dont know.I have not done any recording...heck I dont even have an interface yet,as I am still learning about those. My primary interest is making quality backing tracks. BIAB has been great at getting me hooked in this stuff. Sheesh...its never going to end,is it? Guys, thanks again for taking your time to help out. I will take everyone's advise and try to make an informed decision. Maybe hardware has to come into play??

You make a few good points here..... Getting Cakewalk Music Creator also gives you a fully functional DAW to use for mixing. It's very easy to learn and use. Your last line is so very important.

Yes... you should also be looking at hardware if you are going to be more than just a casual user. And from your interest in better quality synths, it sounds like you are planning to get deeper into this home recording thing.

Absolutely, you want to be looking at the USB based interfaces which have the required number of inputs you need..... most home studio guys and gals can easily get by with a simple two input interface. Also be sure it has phantom power for condenser mics, and that it uses ASIO as it's driver. Avoid the multi-function gizmos and buy a solid, dedicated, musical interface.

That is one decision you will not regret. Get a good one because it's the heart of your studio and a good interface will last you for years and provide superb service and make the recording process easy.

BTW: Here's the bundles Cake is offering now> https://shop.cakewalk.com/1244/catalog/category.60467/language.en/currency.USD/?id=NZvnDnncNy we haven't mentioned this but it also includes the complete STUDIO INSTRUMENTS synth/samples as well. To avoid buying things twice... just get the complete package for $150 and you're good to go. Great DAW, CSC with all the packs, TTS, and SI complete package. Spend another $150 to $250 on the interface and you're all set.....

....of course then you'll need mics, studio monitors, cords, and lava lamps..... dang... this can get expensive fast.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 01/09/17 03:10 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Does the lava lamp work with ASIO?

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Nope, lava lamps are just MeMeMe

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,462
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195