Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Originally Posted By: HearToLearn

Just trying to figure out a good route to go with music.

If you are not playing for money where you have to play what the audience wants, then the only good route to go with music is the one that either you like and want to learn. I am playing in more genres with BiaB then I did with my wedding band, and we were quite diverse!

Using Biab I have posted a number of genres like New Age, Jazz, Funk and others. Are they as good and polished like some of the pros here? No way. But I do it for my enjoyment and if others enjoy them also then great. All of my posts are open to constructive criticisms and by doing so I have learned a lot.

No offense meant here but maybe it is time to stop thinking and just start playing.

Peace

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
<< I write things along the lines of Luke Bryan, Jason Aldean, Dan and Shay, Rascal Flatts, Randy Houser, Keith Urban...even Nickelback at times. >>

LOL, I just recently posted in another thread that I find some of that particular music "painful to listen to". and some of it is.

I wrote several paragraphs to why i feel that way, posted them, deleted them, rewrote them and then deleted them again until I was left with my post finally being that some of modern country is "painful to listen to"...

All the while, I'm trying to write one. I listen to the latest songs on YouTube, download them and run them through the ACW and analyze them. I find the song structure to be deceptively simple and all the processing to be quite so technical that only the advanced hobbyist is likely to have the hardware, software and DAW technical skills to accurately duplicate. The strength of modern country is not the artist, but the production behind the artist in my opinion.

As for the lyrics all being repetitious, narrow in scope and theme, that's actually the most real country carry over from the early hillbilly and classic country days aside from a Martin acoustic guitar. Early country was every bit as having the sameness about it as it exists today. Grandpa Jones had a hit song back in the days of 78 records called "Old Yeller's treed again". It was a big enough hit that he recorded a series of songs about old Yeller. There were dozens of songs about huntin' dogs. All the girls wore flowered dresses instead of Daisy Duke shorts and it was hot rod cars hauling bootleg whiskey instead of Pickups and John Deere tractors.

Shallow and trite are not new to the genre. Songs/albums are written with the next tour in mind. The pain comes from super talented guys and gals having extraordinary talent and resources available and using it toward such a narrow focus. The pain is hearing a new song knowing I only have to get it right once for one of my songs to be playing next on the radio......

Charlie

Last edited by Charlie Fogle; 01/02/17 03:55 PM.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
The common bond here is obviously BiaB. If a user forum song doesn't particularly appeal to me genre wise I try to focus more on the use of BiaB and the production values of the tune. Toward that end I've listened in detail to a lot of genres that I'd never considered prior to becoming a member of this community. While I likely will not become a fan of all these genres paying attention (and commenting on them) has allowed me to develop a deep appreciation of the talent of many members including their ability to make remarkably inventive use of BIaB.

I've said in many posts that BiaB + talent + creativity = amazing productions.
And for me the key word here is "productions." Some members are singer/songwriters and arrangers and engineers and producers all in one who, thanks to PG Music, have award winning studio musicians at their beckoning. It doesn't get much better than that.

Bud

PS And should somebody post a "bro country" tune with great use of BiaB and strong production values I'll play fair and nice smile

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran

As far as comments made here, there wasn't anything against me or my work...well, my one song...lol. It was about the genres I tend to write in. To just put it "out there"...I write things along the lines of Luke Bryan, Jason Aldean, Dan and Shay, Rascal Flatts, Randy Houser, Keith Urban...even Nickelback at times.

There is even some (very limited) rap that I'm impressed with...but don't write.

Well now, that's a relief. For a minute there I was thinking your favorite genre was something akin to "Bavarian Death Metal New Age Polka" music. I don't think I could take that for long.

But "Bro Country"? Hell yeah..... lets build a bonfire down a dirt road, crack a cold one and watch some hot little sugar shakers dance to the radio in the moonlight..... I'm all on board for that.

Man, just write what you like, post it and let the folks hear it and comment. You never know what will come from that. But if you don't post, you may never know what opportunities you are missing.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
"Post a song to the Showcase. PLEASE.

I'm pretty sure you would blow everyone away."

He already did:

http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=288568&page=1

And, it was well received.

Regards,

Bob

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: 90 dB
"Post a song to the Showcase. PLEASE.

I'm pretty sure you would blow everyone away."

He already did:

http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=288568&page=1

And, it was well received.

Regards,

Bob

Yep, and had he bounced it after the comments it would've gotten more plays and favorable comments. There a LOT to like there...reminded us of Henley.

J&B

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
yep... I remember that song. Good one.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
My new year resolution is to stop talking so much music and just "Play he Damn Song"!

Just my take on all the "who likes and doesn't like every little thing, including me".

With that said I will stop talking about music and start making same.

Happy New Year to lovers of "all genres" of music, yes even rap . . . Did I just say that?

Later,

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: PeterGannon
))) One thing I have felt fairly consistently over the time here is there are certain genres of music that really are not accepted here. Radio friendly pop, country, rock or rap...or that may be 1 genre at this point wink I'm sure there are others. Just going off of comments that are fairly consistently thrown into conversations.

------------
In my experience, all musical genres are welcome and discussed here. And hopefully are also represented in BIAB.

+1! Caaron most people post what they feel like. Since 2008, I've seen a little bit of everything on here. Go for it and quit worrying about how well it will be received.

Years ago, before many of the folks on here now were here or posting regularly, someone posted a screaming heavy metal song. It wasn't the first or last metal ever posted. But on this one, I do mean screaming literally. After getting encouraging responses, the poster said the song was purposely done as terribly as possible for a test - which we all failed and the joke was on us. We were bashed for being nice and not trashing the song.

Moral. Years later and we still try to be helpful without crushing people. We're still nice.

Post your songs. I'd love to hear them and like FJ said, maybe I'll learn something new and get inspired.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Just back from a few day trip and have some catching up to do comments-wise. My goodness, there are so many great comments it's crazy!

Short version, I will write and post a few things then! I'm excited for it, FOR SURE! it will be a few weeks. I am writing more jingles above love than you can imagine. Valentines Day is just around the corner...hint to those that have someone to buy something for. A song would make a great gift, IMO;)

Longer version...is to come...probably tomorrow, or the weekend.

Chad (Hope that makes it easier)

TEMPO TANTRUM: What a lead singer has when they can't stay in time.
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Just back from a few day trip and have some catching up to do comments-wise. My goodness, there are so many great comments it's crazy!

Short version, I will write and post a few things then! I'm excited for it, FOR SURE! it will be a few weeks. I am writing more jingles above love than you can imagine. Valentines Day is just around the corner...hint to those that have someone to buy something for. A song would make a great gift, IMO;)

Longer version...is to come...probably tomorrow, or the weekend.

Ya'll are THE BEST!

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: chulaivet1966
Plus, I've not been banned yet!

Well, it's early yet.....

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: eddie1261

Has anyone ever got banned from the forms, can't really think of any?

Musiclover

Last edited by musiclover; 01/06/17 01:49 AM.

Musiclover

My music https://www.youtube.com/user/donegalprideofall

Windows 10 (64bit) M-Audio Fast Track Pro, Band in a Box 2024, Cubase 13, Cakewalk and far too many VST plugins that I probably don't need or will ever use smile
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: eddie1261

Thanks for the vote of confidence. smile

Musiclover: I don't think I've noticed anyone being banned either but I've only been here a year or so.

A good weekend to all.

Back to topic....

Last edited by chulaivet1966; 01/06/17 04:44 AM.
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Things went very different the weekend and last few days with work. Not quite a jingle emergency (ha!) but along those lines.

I have read all of the comments more than once. There is just so many great perspectives that make me think. Still laughing about the screaming song test of the forum. That really happened?

Anyway, fair enough. I started working on something to post. I don't want to say what it is...but distortion on bag pipes sounds HEAVY wink J/K Ok, I'm sure it would.

Thanks again for the replies. I can honestly say it changed my mind from where I was. I wasn't feeling everyone was rude, or "poor me." More like, is this the right place for what I'm doing. Now, I'm feeling big time it is. Just needed to find my place I guess.

Remember, you all brought the bro-country on...just saying wink

Just a taste of what's to come...

(Verse)
Hey Girl
I see them tan lines
You're looking so fine
and I'm hopin' that you don't mind
me
noticin' you, noticin' me, noticin' you
Sittin' on that tailgate
under the moon

(Pre-Chorus)
She shakes her sugar shaker
I'm hoping I can make her
Wanna come on down that dirt road with me...

(Chorus)
Ok, I REALLY hope you know I'm kidding!!!

Here's to hoping it's better than this! smile

Off-Topic
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Things went very different the weekend and last few days with work. Not quite a jingle emergency (ha!) but along those lines.

I have read all of the comments more than once. There is just so many great perspectives that make me think. Still laughing about the screaming song test of the forum. That really happened?

Anyway, fair enough. I started working on something to post. I don't want to say what it is...but distortion on bag pipes sounds HEAVY wink J/K Ok, I'm sure it would.

Thanks again for the replies. I can honestly say it changed my mind from where I was. I wasn't feeling everyone was rude, or "poor me." More like, is this the right place for what I'm doing. Now, I'm feeling big time it is. Just needed to find my place I guess.

Remember, you all brought the bro-country on...just saying wink

Just a taste of what's to come...

(Verse)
Hey Girl
I see them tan lines
You're looking so fine
and I'm hopin' that you don't mind
me
noticin' you, noticin' me, noticin' you
Sittin' on that tailgate
under the moon

(Pre-Chorus)
She shakes her sugar shaker
I'm hoping I can make her
Wanna come on down that dirt road with me...

(Chorus)
Ok, I REALLY hope you know I'm kidding!!!

Here's to hoping it's better than this! smile

Oh my!!!

Here's a verse from my 1975 major no hit release (Really- and my personal favorite cut )

Hey Girl
Step into the light
Let me look at you once before I go
It's been so much fun with you Oh Oh
I hate to go

-----

It was easy listening genre - Bro Country rewrite??? or maybe even a satire......

On a more serious note, a few years ago, there was a really stereotype bro country video out on Facebook. The kids loved it and many comments were posted. There was a stereotype theme that permeated the comments fairly consistently. I used the comments to write my stereotype lyrics to a User Showcase post called "Trucks".... I don't think it's on my Soundcloud account any longer. But it was a fun song....

Charlie

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:
Oh my!!!

Here's a verse from my 1975 major no hit release (Really- and my personal favorite cut )

Hey Girl
Step into the light
Let me look at you once before I go
It's been so much fun with you Oh Oh
I hate to go

-----

It was easy listening genre - Bro Country rewrite??? or maybe even a satire......

On a more serious note, a few years ago, there was a really stereotype bro country video out on Facebook. The kids loved it and many comments were posted. There was a stereotype theme that permeated the comments fairly consistently. I used the comments to write my stereotype lyrics to a User Showcase post called "Trucks".... I don't think it's on my Soundcloud account any longer. But it was a fun song....

Charlie

That's crazy! Do you happen to have a copy of it yet? I would love to hear it!

So...YOU started bro country. Nice wink

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,633
Posts735,254
Members38,521
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Barking, SYOTR, Bpnsrinu, DanyLevy, vasilich
38,521 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 181