Options
Index
#407302 - 04/14/17 08:10 AM [User Showcase] A Little Bit Of This
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Continuing down a path...

Mike (pghboemike) posted a thread in the Songwriting forum about "Why All Country Music Sounds The Same".
http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=400664#Post400664
It has since gone WAY off the rails, but...

The video talked about the drum pattern that a number of current top Country songs have in common.
So... thought I'd use it.
The drum pattern can be found in the new (BIAB 2017) Sannon Forrest RealDrum ModCountry16ths.
I also created a beat track of the pattern.
Added to that, a typical current Country chord progression (briefly talked about in the video).
Then grabbed some appropriate BIAB RealTracks.
Then wrote a lyric.

A LITTLE BIT OF THIS

she walked in, took me by surprise
that little black dress, those emerald eyes
those heels, those legs, that bumpty-bump, that cold hard stare
that said i know you want to make a move, boy, but do you dare

i know you want a little bit of this
   a tender touch, a warm sweet kiss
   just too hot or maybe not
   how much can you handle
   a runaway train can jump the track
   so don't lay a bet that you can't back
   careful, lesser men have cracked from
   a little bit of this

i drop the blinds on the windows, cut the lights out one by one
she dropped that little black dress right there, I was done
those heels, those legs, that bumpty-bump, that cold hard stare
my heart pounding so damn hard, could have died right then and there

(she whispered)
   how much can you handle
   a little bit of this

no hope
no rope
i'm in deep
and drowning
all in
tailspin
she's whisperin
again

how much can you handle
   a little bit of this

The BAND:

RealTracks in style: 1759:Bass, Electric, Pop16ths Ev 085
RealTracks in song: 1004:Guitar, 12-String Acoustic, Rhythm ClassicRockStrumming Ev16 065
RealTracks in song: 840:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm PopBalladClean Ev 085 (B:strum)
RealTracks in song: 839:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm PopBalladClean Ev 085 (A:arp)
RealTracks in song: 1169:Guitar, Electric, Soloist RockMediumBrent Ev 120
RealTracks in song: 2690:Guitar, Electric, Soloist Slow16thsPopBrentSimple Ev16 075
RealTracks in song: 623:Banjo, Background Backporch Ev 098
RealDrums in Song: ModCountry16ths^01-a:Closed hat, Sync-kick, b:Open hat, Sync-kick

Beat track created in Studio One Professional - Impact multichannel drum sampler (MIDI)

Background vocals: the janettes (Janice Merritt and me)
(...YOU ARE THE BOMB, girl!!!)

Imagination encouraged.
Comments, too.
Have at it.

#thisaintyourgrampascountry

floyd

#407303 - 04/14/17 08:18 AM [User Showcase] Re: A Little Bit Of This [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Australia
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Hey floyd,

Wow! Actually, I'll put that in colour because it needs to shine as brightly as both your composition/presentation and Janice's vocals.

It seems that your producing and orchestrating have moved into a whole new universe these days! The clarity that you've managed to create with the percussion is amazing and the mix is every bit equal to the percussion. It's a stunning sound. (And that's after being compressed by Soundcloud!)

Many times over the years, I've used the word 'professional' when I've talked about about your songs. Quite simply, that's how they sound to my ears. Then, every few songs, you come along with a creation that significantly raises the bar on what it means to sound 'professional'... I guess it's like 'professional' on steroids. This song was like that for me.

The musical journey in "A Little Bit Of This" (love all those short 'i' sounds in the hook, by the way) was very inventive. It captured my imagination and didn't let go for the entire length of the song.

The lyrics... well... they captured my imagination in a completely different way!

One thing that stood out to me in the lyrics was how you cleverly used rhyme asymmetry to set-up the non-rhyming hook in the last line of the chorus.

When you sang....

Quote:
a little bit of this

...the three successive rapid-fire rhymes of 'track, back, cracked' prepare the ear for the line that does not rhyme.

• Even though I've talked about this lyric strategy in at least one of your earlier works, your use of it in this song is so effective that I wanted to mention it again. I hope you don't mind.

This strategy of three consecutive rhymes followed by a non-rhyme is one that many lyricists have used over the years; especially in AABA songs where the hook is the last line of each A-section. Having a last line that does not rhyme, shines really bright spotlights on that line. This makes it perfect for hook placement.

As I see it, and I stand to be corrected on this, the reason the aaax rhyme scheme works so well is because the ear/brain appreciates contrast when an aural rhyming pattern starts to sound too predictable. When such predictability sets in, as in a sequence of three consecutive rhymes, a subsequent unrhyming line can do the job much better than a rhyming line.

But then you take it a step further...

To capitalise on using lyric-rhyme asymmetry, you've strategically finished the chorus melody with the note for 'this' not on the tonic! Such an unbalanced lyric setting is excellent prosody given the guy's pounding heart... "ingenious" is a word that just sprang to mind. I'm going to have to try this technique in a song! Until I do, though, I'm heading back for another run-through.

What a terrific listen!
Noel

#407326 - 04/14/17 10:09 AM [User Showcase] Re: A Little Bit Of This [Re: floyd jane]
Robertkc Offline
Veteran

Floyd,

That`s fun! Clever lyrics ( I`m not familiar with bumpty-bump, but will be looking out for that move now!),and as Noel says ,a rhyme scheme that really keeps the song moving.
Super vocals and harmonies.

Robert

#407329 - 04/14/17 10:53 AM [User Showcase] Re: A Little Bit Of This [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: York, England
ROG Offline
Veteran

Loc: York, England
Hey, Floyd. I'm certainly learning some new stuff here, about Country.

First up, that kick drum nearly brought the Tannoys off the wall and was that a hand-clap where I was expecting a snare or brush? Those intro bars could have heralded a rap track! Not that that's meant to be a criticism you understand.

Once the track really kicked off, yeah, it sounded like Country and no one does it better than you do these days. And isn't Janice wonderful.

So, great track, great arrangement, excellent mix.

Well, maybe extend the solo a bit? I mean, eight bars? Volume was OK though!

Thoroughly enjoyed the whole thing.

Cheers, ROG.

#407332 - 04/14/17 11:08 AM [User Showcase] Re: A Little Bit Of This [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: North Carolina
David Snyder Offline
Veteran

Loc: North Carolina
Floyd,

Really cool song and use of that ModCountry drum.

I am copying that one man. smile

Excellent song, lyrics, and delivery as always. I study you dude.

#407343 - 04/14/17 12:56 PM [User Showcase] Re: A Little Bit Of This [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Helsinki, Finland
dani48 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Helsinki, Finland
Hi, Floyd !

Wonderful, is what came
first to my mind when
listening to this tune
of yours ! Just great music
superbly performed by you
and Janice !

Congrats to all involved !

Cheers
Dani

#407352 - 04/14/17 01:23 PM [User Showcase] Re: A Little Bit Of This [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
AudioTrack Offline
Veteran

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Floyd, to reflect on Noel's comments, you never cease to amaze.

You certainly have proven, absolutely beyond doubt, that not all Country sounds the same.

This is excellent, has a fantastic drive throughout, and a masterful inclusion of fills.

Outstanding lyrics, delivered with a powerful vocal.

The list goes on. Thanks for another FJ contribution.
BIAB & RB2022 Win.(Audiophile), SonarPlatinum, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, SynthogyIvory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer ActiveMonitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones

#407387 - 04/14/17 04:25 PM [User Showcase] Re: A Little Bit Of This [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Originally Missouri ... Now Al...
Al-David Offline
Veteran

Loc: Originally Missouri ... Now Al...
Hi Floyd,

Now, that's what we call an answer to a post! Creative and entertaining - isn't that what songwriting is supposed to be about?

Loved the vocal fx on the bridge! That was pretty cool!!!

You're a college course in music in one post - cool!

Alan & Di

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

#407388 - 04/14/17 04:29 PM [User Showcase] Re: A Little Bit Of This [Re: floyd jane]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Al-David
You're a college course in music in one post - cool!

So true!

By the way, that's a a powerful statement, Alan. I'm going to have to quote you somewhere, someday. I promise to give credit where credit is due! Carl Crouch is not the only wise man in your family, I see smile

#407405 - 04/14/17 06:11 PM [User Showcase] Re: A Little Bit Of This [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Scott C Offline
Veteran

Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
What an awesome song Floyd. Loved the story in the lyric. Super vocal and backtrack. Just loved this one

#407420 - 04/14/17 09:45 PM [User Showcase] Re: A Little Bit Of This [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Aichi, Japan
animarorecords Offline
Veteran

Loc: Aichi, Japan
Hello, floyd

Really cool song with super vocals.
The minor opening melody is unusual for you, but it is very good.
The drums at intro. are splendid.
Very enjoyable listen.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

#407450 - 04/15/17 04:30 AM [User Showcase] Re: A Little Bit Of This [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: South Carolina
Charlie Fogle Online   content
Veteran

Loc: South Carolina
Another step closer.....

This certainly makes the grade and hits the mark. I really like it and it does spark my imagination and Sherlock Holmes instincts as I try to listen and analyze at the same time. This will take quite a few listens to absorb the fun and genius of this latest production. Even has some effects going on...

There is so much to steal here and so little time before you post your next masterpiece.

There was a recent post that featured a BIAB artist demo that got picked up and reached #1 on a Canadian chart. We were able to listen to both the demo and the commercial release. This song is a song that could easily garner the same fate.

Technically this hits all the bases. Especially the drums/percussion and I'll add the effects and BGV's as well.

Job well done. Enjoyed my listen.

Charlie

#407456 - 04/15/17 05:28 AM [User Showcase] Re: A Little Bit Of This [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Ontario, Canada
BlueAttitude Offline
Veteran

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Excellent song and performance, enjoyed very much. Big tip of the hat to the janettes smile

#407487 - 04/15/17 08:09 AM [User Showcase] Re: A Little Bit Of This [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Warwickshire, UK
Skyline Offline
Veteran

Loc: Warwickshire, UK
Another five star piece Floyd, I really loved the new twists, especially that drum track, and the treated vocal in the last verse. Great work as ever! Off for a few more listens...
cool grin
John

Edited by Skyline (04/15/17 08:09 AM)
Cakewalk by BandLab
Studio One 4

#407498 - 04/15/17 08:37 AM [User Showcase] Re: A Little Bit Of This [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: St. Paul, Minnesota
fgrittner Offline
Expert

Loc: St. Paul, Minnesota
Simply excellent. Ditto all the comments regarding the beats. I like how you bring in the banjo and the delay on your vocal in the last section.
https://fredgrittner.bandcamp.com

#407531 - 04/15/17 12:00 PM [User Showcase] Re: A Little Bit Of This [Re: Noel96]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Noel96
Hey floyd,

Wow! Actually, I'll put that in colour because it needs to shine as brightly as both your composition/presentation and Janice's vocals.

It seems that your producing and orchestrating have moved into a whole new universe these days! The clarity that you've managed to create with the percussion is amazing and the mix is every bit equal to the percussion. It's a stunning sound. (And that's after being compressed by Soundcloud!)

Many times over the years, I've used the word 'professional' when I've talked about about your songs. Quite simply, that's how they sound to my ears. Then, every few songs, you come along with a creation that significantly raises the bar on what it means to sound 'professional'... I guess it's like 'professional' on steroids. This song was like that for me.

I appreciate that Noel... (we have been having forum conversations for a number of years now.) The addition of a beat track to the existing RealDrum track has been an interesting discovery. I have used a combination of a typical RealDrum and a bongo/congo RealDrum a number of times - that's a great sound, so this seems a natural extension (where appropriate).

Quote:

The musical journey in "A Little Bit Of This" (love all those short 'i' sounds in the hook, by the way) was very inventive. It captured my imagination and didn't let go for the entire length of the song.

The lyrics... well... they captured my imagination in a completely different way!

One thing that stood out to me in the lyrics was how you cleverly used rhyme asymmetry to set-up the non-rhyming hook in the last line of the chorus.

When you sang....

Quote:
a little bit of this

...the three successive rapid-fire rhymes of 'track, back, cracked' prepare the ear for the line that does not rhyme.

• Even though I've talked about this lyric strategy in at least one of your earlier works, your use of it in this song is so effective that I wanted to mention it again. I hope you don't mind.

This strategy of three consecutive rhymes followed by a non-rhyme is one that many lyricists have used over the years; especially in AABA songs where the hook is the last line of each A-section. Having a last line that does not rhyme, shines really bright spotlights on that line. This makes it perfect for hook placement.

As I see it, and I stand to be corrected on this, the reason the aaax rhyme scheme works so well is because the ear/brain appreciates contrast when an aural rhyming pattern starts to sound too predictable. When such predictability sets in, as in a sequence of three consecutive rhymes, a subsequent unrhyming line can do the job much better than a rhyming line.

I always appreciate that you pick up on and can verbalize the atypical "lyrical tricks" that make songs work in different ways. There is similar "verbal gyrations" happening just prior to that, too... The quick "hot/not" rhyme allows the non-rhyming "how much can you handle" to stand on it's own (also helped by the cadence of that line...) then the track/back/cracked captures the ear enough that there is no longer a need the resolve "handle..."

Quote:

But then you take it a step further...

To capitalise on using lyric-rhyme asymmetry, you've strategically finished the chorus melody with the note for 'this' not on the tonic! Such an unbalanced lyric setting is excellent prosody given the guy's pounding heart... "ingenious" is a word that just sprang to mind. I'm going to have to try this technique in a song! Until I do, though, I'm heading back for another run-through.

What a terrific listen!
Noel

Thanks for such a thoughtful (and delightful) review.

#407533 - 04/15/17 12:10 PM [User Showcase] Re: A Little Bit Of This [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Hamlin NY
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
Ditto on everything that has been said.

You are a pro for sure!

This is a keeper.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB and RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software and some hardware

#407546 - 04/15/17 02:01 PM [User Showcase] Re: A Little Bit Of This [Re: floyd jane]
tommyad Offline
Veteran

floyd, it's the little things that count and this one is full of them. The beat and handclap followed by the banjo coming in (paddle faster I hear a banjo) followed by the bumpty bump followed by the perfect background vocals, then the perfect guitar part with the right effects, then the fills. Nice work. It's very current. I liked it. Tom

#407620 - 04/16/17 12:45 AM [User Showcase] Re: A Little Bit Of This [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Sydney Australia
PeterF Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sydney Australia
Floyd

Some very nice comments and given the significant detailed analysis of the song not much more I can add other than it sounded excellent - great performance - you and Janice blend brilliantly and it's a job(song ) well done. Deserves all the praise.

Peter

#407636 - 04/16/17 04:16 AM [User Showcase] Re: A Little Bit Of This [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: New York
rsdean Offline
Veteran

Loc: New York
Floyd,

Awesome! This one really packs a punch... Radio ready and another hit!

Bob

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2022 for Mac® Bonus PAKs!

Purchase Band-in-a-Box® 2022 during our Mac special (ending July 15th) and you'll receive a Free Bonus PAK*!

What does the Free Bonus PAK include?
-MIDI SuperTracks Set 34: Blues Piano and Organ (9 MSTs)
-Instrumental Studies 16: Fusion Guitar Soloing (6 studies)
-Artist Performance Set 11: Songs with Vocals volume 1 (20 songs)
-RealDrums Stems Set 1 (20 RealDrums stems)
-MIDI Styles Set 84: Look Ma! More MIDI 7 (complete, 15 styles)
-Over 400 playable RealTracks (sfz sforzando files)
-RealCombos Booster PAK (30 New RealStyles, 26 Existing RealStyles, 109 RT's/RD's)

Want even more? Boost your Free Bonus PAK to the 49-PAK for $49 to add:
-60 Bonus RT/RD (20 more than in previous years)
-MIDI SuperTracks Set 35: All Guitar (5 MSTs)
-Instrumental Studies 17: Classic Country Guitar Soloing (6 studies)
-Artist Performance Set 12: Songs with Vocals volume 2 (20 songs)
-RealDrums Stems Set 2 (20 RealDrums stems)
-Look Ma! More MIDI 8 (complete, 15 styles)

Learn more...

*excluding the $49 version upgrade purchase.

Holiday Hours - Canada Day (July 1, 2022)

We are celebrating Canada Day on Friday, July 1st - but we're still here!

Our Customer Service hours that day are adjusted to:

Friday, July 1: 8am-4pm PDT

Regular Hours resume Saturday, July 2nd.
www.pgmusic.com/contact.htm

Happy Independence Day to our USA friends on Monday, July 4th!

New Band-in-a-Box® 2022 Add-ons are Here!

We're excited to say that we've just released some amazing new RealStyles with XPro Styles PAKs 2 & 3 and Xtra Styles PAK 13 for Band-in-a-Box® 2022 for Windows or Mac!

XPro Styles PAK 2 includes 100 fresh new RealStyles that will up the utility and fun factor of the Band-in-a-Box® Pro version by adding 25 rock and pop styles, 25 jazz styles, 25 country styles, and 25 folk styles! XPro Styles PAK 3 goes even further - not only is it packed 100 new RealStyles, it includes 35 RealTracks that are not included with a Pro or MegaPAK purchase - adding even more versatility to what these can do! Sink your teeth into 25 rock/pop styles, 25 jazz/funk styles, 25 country/bluegrass styles, and 25 styles featuring a mix of genres ranging from high energy electro swing to ambient grooves and everything in between.

With the new Xtra Styles PAK 13, we're going to make the number thirteen lucky again! There are 200 new RealStyles for Rock/Pop, Jazz, Country, and Singer-Songwriter. Some examples of what's included: Mellow soundtrack rock, Americana country lullaby, western swing big band, coffee house jazz waltz, jazzy jump blues, songwriter gospel ballad, fast indie rock, vintage clav funk, country pop march, and much, much more!

And they're all ON SALE until July 15th! Purchase Xtra Styles PAKs or XPro Styles PAKs for only $29 per PAK (regular price $49 each)!

Purchase XPro Styles PAKs
Purchase Xtra Styles PAKs
Learn more & watch our video demonstrations

Band-in-a-Box® 2022 for Mac is here!

There are 50+ new features, 222 new RealTracks (20 more than we've released in previous versions), new RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, Artist Performances, Xtra Styles PAK 13, XPro Styles PAKs 2 & 3, New "playable RealTracks" Hi-Q sounds, 2 sets of "RealDrums Stems," and more!

We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2022 Upgrade purchases until July 15, 2022 - save up to 50% when you purchase a Band-in-a-Box® 2022 for Mac Upgrade!

We've packed our Free Bonus PAK & 49-PAK with some amazing Add-ons! The Free Bonus PAK is automatically included with most Band-in-a-Box® for Mac 2022 packages! For more even more Add-ons (including 60 Unreleased RealTracks!), upgrade it to the 2022 49-PAK for only $49. You can see the full lists of items in each package, and listen to demos here.

If you need any help deciding which package is the best option for you, just let us know. We are here to help!

Learn more about all the new features in Band-in-a-Box® 2022 for Mac.

How to: Opening Multiple Instances of Band-in-a-Box®

Did you know that you can have multiple instances of Band-in-a-Box® open on your computer? There was a conversation about this recently on our Forum, so we put together this video explaining how: Opening Multiple Instances of Band-in-a-Box®

Want to see a quick video tutorial that's not on our Tips & Tricks list? You can post your request to our I want a video that shows me how to .... forum.

How to: Replacing a MIDI Track with an Audio Track (RealBand)

Using RealBand and wondering how to replace a MIDI track with an audio track?

We show you how in our RealBand®: Replacing a MIDI Track with an Audio Track
video!

How to: Setup and Record with a MIDI Keyboard in Band-in-a-Box® for Windows

Do you want to record your MIDI keyboard into Band-in-a-Box®, but aren't sure where to start? This quick video is what you've been looking for! How to Setup and Record with a MIDI Keyboard in Band-in-a-Box® for Windows.

User Guide: Working with MIDI

Forum Stats
36214 Members
64 Forums
74856 Topics
657352 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
LaurenceA, Morvan, mitsumamespoon, Tin Whistle, Thierry BULANT

36214 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Icelander 257