Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#408110 - 04/18/17 03:02 PM [Beginners Forum] Re: BIAB's GUI [Re: texasprenegade]
texasprenegade Offline

Re: videos. If I ask a colleague to help me with software, the most effective way is to watch him do it while he explains what he's doing. That's all a video is. Some prefer that method of learning, not because they have short attention spans but because it's very effective. The get off my lawn comments about the kids these days are irrelevant.

I've read TFM. It doesn't help much. I am putting in the time and don't expect instant gratification. But I've put in enough time to form an opinion about the UI from a beginner's perspective--yes, I'm entitled to an opinion on the UI. Eventually I am learning to do things on my own. But just because I can eventually figure stuff out doesn't mean the UI couldn't be much much better. My complaints are not about doing one specific thing or another. The problem is it takes much longer to figure out than it should and I have to rely on trial and error.

Nobody is saying a complicated program has to be easy at first glance. Examples I gave are those that paid attention to its design for functionality's sake, not because they look pretty.

The gripes about the software have nothing to do with music or music education or anything like that. Learning music theory and learning to use this software have nothing to do with each other. The opinions are all about the functionality of the user interface. A UI is ~supposed~ to help the user, but in my opinion the UI does a terrible job of it. Note I'm not criticizing the capabilities of BIAB at all, just the UI.

Y'all don't have to agree with me. If you like the UI and think it makes sense, that's super. These are my opinions on the UI and the UI only, not the capabilities or complexity of the software.

#408126 - 04/18/17 03:46 PM [Beginners Forum] Re: BIAB's GUI [Re: texasprenegade]
Pipeline Offline
Veteran

Quote:
"a more confusing, disorganized, and cluttered user interface than Band in a Box"
That sounds about right, I appreciate your input from someone who is new to Biab, this gives the developers information to improve Biab.

I'm right there with you, some users come here with problems they find and say that things need to be improved, but are shot down, put off and never return, others stick around and make these things happen, by nagging, pleading, suggesting new ways, ideas to do things to make BB/RB better.

As said before you bring valuable information from a new user's perspective.
Don't stop, just keep posting ideas and ways you think it can be improved !

It's gone from this,:

To this,:

Then to this that needs your input: ???

#408150 - 04/18/17 04:28 PM [Beginners Forum] Re: BIAB's GUI [Re: Tobias]
Loc: Marysville, Mi. USA
rharv Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Tobias
Huh? Band In A Box has a manual?

Gotta admit, that made me laugh.

#408162 - 04/18/17 05:08 PM [Beginners Forum] Re: BIAB's GUI [Re: rharv]
Loc: Chicago
MusicStudent Offline
Veteran

Loc: Chicago
Originally Posted By: rharv
Originally Posted By: Tobias
Huh? Band In A Box has a manual?

Gotta admit, that made me laugh.

Love it! I remember I used to keep a copy of the BIAB manual by my bedside - 20 years ago. It was apparently much smaller then.
SoundCloud

#408173 - 04/18/17 05:41 PM [Beginners Forum] Re: BIAB's GUI [Re: texasprenegade]
rharv Offline
Veteran

I kept it in the room directly across from the bathroom ..
sorry, just sayin'

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Andrew - PG Music, PeterGannon 
PG Music News
With Band-in-a-Box®, Making Music Has Never Been Easier!

We came across this recent post, Music Making Software: Record, Edit, Create and Share Your Own Songs, which includes Band-in-a-Box® in their list of software you'll need to record and edit your own songs!

One of our favourite products, and one that doesn’t seem to come up much in discussions about music making software, is Band-In-A-Box from PG Music. This is probably the longest established and certainly one of the most popular music making software packages of all time. Already packed with features, the latest version has added functions that in our opinion make this an essential buy for musicians in any genre, for keyboard players, guitarists, singers, in fact any musician looking for an outstanding tool to make the most of their creative ideas.
-www.musicrepo.com

The Download Manager - Band-in-a-Box® for Windows

The "Download Manager" within Band-in-a-Box® for Windows is a great tool to confirm or help with the installation of your Band-in-a-Box® for Windows program!

What does the Download Manager do?
Automatically installs Band-in-a-Box® content (RealTracks, RealDrums, etc.) in the background, so you don't have to sit there the whole time! It can also confirm that you've completely installed your purchase.

How do you use it?
Within the program, go to Help | Utilities | Run Download/Install Manager now. Using your activation code, the program will analyze the installation folders, and list anything that still needs to be downloaded and installed.

Learn more about the Download Manager with this tutorial, or check out the topic within the Online Manual.

Band-in-a-Box® for Windows Online Manual - Chord List & Shortcuts

Visit the Chord List of our Online Manual, and you'll see all the chords that can be used within the program! The list includes a few Tricky Chords and Shortcut Chords that you may find useful too!

Tricky Chords:
C5b This is "C flat 5." It is spelled this way to avoid confusion.
C2, C5, C4, C69, C7alt, Cm7#5
You can type C-7 for Cm7 (i.e. use the minus sign) or C7-9 for C7b9.

Shortcut Chords
If you enter a lot of songs, you will appreciate these shortcut keys.
J = Maj7
H = m7b5 (H stands for Half diminished)
D = dim
S = 7sus

There's even information on how to add your own chord shortcuts - check it out!

Video Request Answered - Creating Intros, Bridges, and Endings in Band-in-a-Box®

Check out the newest support video created by Kent that explains how to create intros, bridges, and endings in Band-in-a-Box®! Click here to view...

The Band-in-a-Box® SongPicker Feature

If you have a folder of songs that you'd always like easy access to within Band-in-a-Box, make sure you familiarize yourself with The SongPicker feature, which access the folder that you choose and lock it to!

Access the SongPicker by clicking on the [Song] button next to the title of the song within the main screen of Band-in-a-Box. The first time the SongPicker is opened, you can choose the folder to use to create the list by selecting [Change] and navigating to your preferred directory. Once chosen, select [OK - Make Song List], and Band-in-a-Box does the rest... the next time you click on [Song], you'll be taken directly to your preferred folder!

Learn even more about this feature within Chapter 5 of our Online Manual, here.

Just Launched - The FAQ and Knowledge Base Forum!

If you have a question (or questions!) about Band-in-a-Box®, PowerTracks, RealBand®, or any other PG Music Inc. product - whether it be technical support or pre-sales, there's now an easy one-stop spot to find the answer - our FAQ and Knowledge Base Forum!

Don't want to read through the 600+ posts? Use the Search FAQ option, and you can choose your key search terms to locate the topic and answer you're looking for!

Common pre-sales questions about our products, ordering, and delivery:
Pre-Sales

Technical support & troubleshooting by product:
Band-in-a-Box® for Windows
Band-in-a-Box® for Mac
RealBand® for Windows
PowerTracks Pro® Audio for Windows
Other Products

There's even a Request New FAQs forum, if you didn't see your question answered anywhere!

Over 190 Saxophone RealTracks for Band-in-a-Box®!

Today's the day we say "Happy Birthday" to Adolphe Sax, the creator of the Saxophone!
(Adolphe was born November 6, 1814 - 32 years later he patended his saxophone creation!)

We have more than 190 Saxophone RealTracks available for Band-in-a-Box with the following RealTracks Sets - review the complete list here.

Check our our Saxophonist programs for Windows:
The Jazz Saxophonist
The Rock Saxophonist

Forum Stats
28224 Members
59 Forums
54911 Topics
455547 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
JeffBro, sophie24, EveArnold, keshu, Boilerman

28226 Registered Users