Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Journeyman
Journeyman
Larry,

I'd say the answer to your question is a definite YES. While I haven't played with the thumbdrive feature yet, the clip I posted above "Not Everyday Was Sad" was created by playing a full audio mix (created with BIAB) directly from Reaper into the VL3X using the "DAW TRACKING" mode and singing along to create the harmonies. The VL3X recognized the key and created the correct harmonies which were then sent back to Reaper for recording on a new track. The only adjustment to the new recorded track is to line it up properly with the other tracks since there's about a 70 millisecond delay created during the roundtrip of your vocal when recording. Easy stuff.

The only difference between what I did and your question is the SOURCE of the audio file i.e the thumbdrive. However I think with regard to the thumbdrive, the source audio file has to be MP3 or WAV (16bit/48khz). The VL3X will convert other resolutions which takes time. If you're only using the backing track to sing along with your BIAB created tracks an MP3 you will save space and should be sufficient quality for the purpose. Check the VL3X manual link in this thread to learn more about the BACKING TRACK feature which includes use of the thumbdrive as the audio source. In my experience the VL3X will recognize a full mix audio file and create the proper harmonies no matter the source of the "guide audio".

Cost is a very real consideration for this piece of gear. I still have another three weeks to evaluate it before I have to make the decision to keep or return it. A lot of vendors offer that option. However, after only a few days with it I'm about 90% sure I'll keep it. I know it's hard to believe it will do what it claims, but it does. I was skeptical too. Pretty amazing stuff. But not anymore so than BIABs ability to take a Real Track production and change the key and the tempo and still sound great. "What'll they think of next?!" (common old-person rant)

Hope this helps.

Rob grin

Last edited by Rob Buford; 07/03/17 03:02 AM.
J
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
J
Rob:
Thanks for the detailed explanation. That clears up several issues. I may make the plunge, or wait out until the next upgrade to see what might be added. I’m using the Harmony Singer pedal now; but, have not been pleased with the clean, precise tracking needed from the guitar to make it work satisfactorily. Maybe it’s the player (me) at fault. Maybe the guitar tracking ability of the VL3X is better than that in the small, blue pedal. Don’t know. I’d really like a hands-free ability to concentrate on singing and lead work and not have to worry about playing each chord to trigger the harmonies. That’s why I inquired about whether the audio track could trigger the harmonies. Apparently, it will work like that. Amazing.

Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Rob Buford
-- Cost is a very real consideration for this piece of gear. I still have another three weeks to evaluate it before I have to make the decision to keep or return it. A lot of vendors offer that option. However, after only a few days with it I'm about 90% sure I'll keep it. I know it's hard to believe it will do what it claims, but it does. I was skeptical too. -- "What'll they think of next?!" (common old-person rant) --

Been thinking, especially because of your enthusiasm, about getting the VL3x for studio work. Tried other stuff like Antares Harmony engine VST, costs over 200 bucks if you buy it LoL. Antares, well if one is happy with a kind of Mickey Mouse voice singing along the latter seems OK.

But indeed for the costs the VL3x is a bit steep. My experience so far with quite expensive gear that is a selling success prices might drop quite a bit even within a year or so, so investing is only wise if one can make good use of it straight away. Seems a bit cheaper BTW here in Europe, around 800 to 850 Euros. But i'd like to get my hands one one, but probably only would use it to create a specific harmony, and experiment with transgender (female) vocals.

BTW I bought Vocaloid 4 a while back, but it's far to complicated regarding phonetics editing, if you want to work fast, and the software really hicks and slows down your DAW if you want to connect it via rewire or use the specific Cubase related VST plugin.

But some get amazing results, by a lot of work experimenting with controlling it via phonetics and symbols plus pitch and filter controllers not even found in the manual. Probably using them from Japanese or Chinese versions. Example of a Vocaloid 2 done by a real expert (IMO the older voice database "Sweet Ann" was imported into the Vocaloid 3 standalone editor):

As for the VL Rack you might be right; an updated version might be at hand, prices are about the same for the VL3x still, but prices for the VL Rack are sometimes about 30% lower if you shop around.

Journeyman
Journeyman
There were some questions at the beginning of this thread about using BIAB with the TC Helicon for live performances. Now that I've had a few days with the TC VL3X I was able to investigate the possibilities. Here are the results:

I loaded a BIAB song into the program and set the audio drivers to the VL3X. When I played the song in BIAB it was sent directly to the VL3X and I sang the vocals. The VL3X added the harmonies based on the audio from BIAB (NOT MIDI) I used the TWO HIGH vocal preset in the VL3X to get the harmonies. Had I been performing live I would have run the stereo outputs to the PA system. For purposes of this post I just output the tracks to Reaper to create the following file:

VL3X and BIAB direct test file.

This test convinces me that the VL3X could indeed be used with BIAB in a live performance situation. It reads the key and creates some nice harmonies. Excuse my vocal, just a one-take effort to check the BIAB to VL3X setup. Fun stuff.

Rob

C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Looks like it's really working well for you. The harmonies sound nice. Makes me want to get back to using my Boss VE20 that I need to master before I think of upgrading to a VL3X.

Charlie

Last edited by Charlie Fogle; 07/04/17 10:56 AM.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Journeyman
Journeyman
Thanks. Makes me want to sing every song I know.

grin Rob

J
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
J
Thanks, Rob, for posting all of those short demos. That’s really impressive how it reads the chord changes. I’m a little dense and want to make sure how you set things up. When you said, “I loaded a BIAB song into the program and set the audio drivers to the VL3X”. Did that mean that you played a BIAB song directly from the computer via the audio outputs (left/right stereo) into the appropriate input(s) on the VL3X? Is that the same thing as “set the audio drivers”? In any event, the demo is impressive.

Journeyman
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: J. Larry
Thanks, Rob, for posting all of those short demos. That’s really impressive how it reads the chord changes. I’m a little dense and want to make sure how you set things up. When you said, “I loaded a BIAB song into the program and set the audio drivers to the VL3X”. Did that mean that you played a BIAB song directly from the computer via the audio outputs (left/right stereo) into the appropriate input(s) on the VL3X? Is that the same thing as “set the audio drivers”? In any event, the demo is impressive.

Yes, I played a BIAB song directly from the computer via the audio outputs (left/right stereo) into the appropriate input(s) on the VL3X. But before I did that I went into BIAB Preferences, and set the audio drivers to VL3X input and output. I did that because the physical hookup I used was a USB cable from the VL3X to my computer. If I'd been playing live I would have sent the outputs of the VL3X to my PA instead. But in this case I wanted to record the VL3X output instead so I could upload it here.

I just hit play and sang to the BIAB song. The VL3X read the key from the BIAB audio and created the proper harmonies to go with my vocal.

There are several ways to route BIAB to the VL3X. Instead of the USB I could have connected a cable from my computer headphone output into the AUX input of the VL3X. That would eliminate having to change the input and output drivers in the BIAB preferences. The VL3X would still have read the key and created the harmonies. There seem to be a variety of possible connections that accomplish the same task. Just depends what you want to do with the combined music, vocals, and harmony output The VL3X has a ton of I/O possibilities and they all work nicely. I hope all this isn't confusing; it's just that the VL3X is very versatile.

One thing you can't do with BIAB and the VL3X is to record your vocals back to BIAB via the Audio Record button. The reason is that the VL3X creates about a 70 millisecond latency. So the vocal track and the BIAB tracks would not line up properly. Recording with BIAB and the VL3X is a different procedure all together. But I wrote this post to describe how you could use BIAB and the VL3X in a live performance situation.

BB

J
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
J
Rob:
That’s the best explanation I’ve seen on this whole process. I get it, now. Many thanks for posting. I wish PG Music would offer more videos, illustrations, examples, etc. with vocal outboard gear for those of us who sing and record with BIAB. That would be very helpful. After all, PG Music is offering TC Helicon products for sale on its web site. That being the case, why couldn’t they produce/offer a detailed video showing some of the vocal harmony tricks using BIAB? It’s tough to figure all this out alone. Thank goodness for this forum.

Journeyman
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: J. Larry
Rob:
That’s the best explanation I’ve seen on this whole process. I get it, now. Many thanks for posting. I wish PG Music would offer more videos, illustrations, examples, etc. with vocal outboard gear for those of us who sing and record with BIAB. That would be very helpful. After all, PG Music is offering TC Helicon products for sale on its web site. That being the case, why couldn’t they produce/offer a detailed video showing some of the vocal harmony tricks using BIAB? It’s tough to figure all this out alone. Thank goodness for this forum.

I think it's cool that PGM includes the TC harmony feature in RealBand. But I don't think a lot of people take the time to figure it out, and the final product sounds a lot like the old TC harmony technology: mechanical and computer-ish. But, hey, it's free.

Probably because a lot of people are not doing the BIAB/TC thing, as was mentioned earlier in this thread, there hasn't been an obvious need for an instructional video on using TC products with BIAB. Maybe WE should do one, huh? grin

I was surprised how little VL3X recording info there was on Youtube and the TC site. I really had to dig around to find what I was looking for to make a recording setup work. This is probably because the VL3X is marketed as a live performance piece of gear. But it's certainly much more than that. I'm really blown away by the quality of the harmonies. TC has come a long way since the TC VoicePrism. Hard to imagine it getting any better than the VL3X though, unless they start doing something similar to BIAB's Real Tracks by incorporating some "Real Voice" tracks into the VL3X. Now that would be cool. Guess we'll see. In the meantime I'm going to make extensive use of the VL3X on my original songs and covers in our studio. Fun stuff, eh?

Here's an original song we did for our last album "Smoky Bars & Steel Guitars" titled "Summertown." The harmonies in the choruses were created with the TC Helicon VoicePrism. About as good as it got back in the early 2000s.

Summertown MP3 from "Smoky Bars & Steel Guitars" CD.

Enjoy,
cool

Rob

Expert
Expert
sounds good, great playing and singing ... F

L
Expert
Expert
L
Excellent. I'd better get it out and use it:-)

Last edited by lambada; 07/05/17 10:14 PM.

Windows 10 Home 20H2 Build 19042.487
BIAB 2021 (Build 818)
Intel(R) Core(TM), i3-4160, CPU @3.60 GHz RAM 16 GB, 64 Bit X64-based processor
Zoom UAC-2 (USB 3 interface-built in midi)
VoiceLive 3 Extreme, Sputnik Valve Condenser Mic
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Rob Buford
.... I think it's cool that PGM includes the TC harmony feature in RealBand. But I don't think a lot of people take the time to figure it out, and the final product sounds a lot like the old TC harmony technology: mechanical and computer-ish. But, hey, it's free ..
Indeed, you got me curious, just tested it a little, found it completely useless for me .. F

Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
...and the final product sounds a lot like the old TC harmony technology: mechanical and computer-ish

The TC-Helicon was added in BIAB 2004, then enhanced a little in BIAB 2005, and as far as I can tell, has been pretty much the same ever since.

It would be nice if the harmonizer could be updated with newer technology (perhaps a cooperative arrangement with zPlane or even a new arrangement with TC-Helicon); however, it does seem that most harmonizers have gone to hardware, live-performance orientation.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,662
Posts735,545
Members38,532
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Jeffrey thomas, skyanderson3, akbrpra, Benfil77, William L
38,532 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 173