Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
As usual FYI only

I don't have the Waves Nx plugin so obviously don't use it and can't speak to "goodness" of it but I remember seeing a few threads where some folks said they mix only, or mainly, on headphones so thought this deal might be good ($35 now usually $99)

Waves Nx Plugin

http://www.waves.com/plugins/nx?utm_source=wnletter&utm_medium=email&utm_content=learn-more&utm_campaign=nx-eq-update-audeze#introducing-nx-virtual-mix-room

good luck
Larry

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
T
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
T
This is an interesting product by Waves, I may have to watch a couple of videos on the product page and see if this actually something worth buying for myself, I personally live in an apartment so playing of my monitors isn't always viable when working on a mix. Do you or anyone else have experience here using this?

Veteran
Veteran
Larry,

Thanks for posting this. I wasn't aware of the sale.

There are some great deals on heaps of plugins. If anyone is thinking about the CLA family of effects, now is the time!

Appreciate the heads up
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
Veteran
Tyler,

I've just purchased the Waves Nx Plugin (Headphones). I figured that for the price, I couldn't go wrong (even with our lousy exchange rate at present). I'll post a note on how it sounds/works.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
Veteran
Tyler,

Here's a public-available link to the User Guide. This may be of use to you.

http://www.waves.com/1lib/pdf/plugins/nx.pdf

The section in the guide relating to "Head Tracker", Chapter 4, is for a hardware device that can be used to help enhance the plugin's interpretation of a specific speaker(s) setup. Since I didn't purchase this to accompany the plugin, I cannot comment on it.

My impressions of the plugin so far...

It is excellent.

I've always found it a little frustrating how the the sound through my speakers and through my headphones disagreed with one another. It's not a major disagreement but it's enough to make mixing a little more challenging. If I mix to my headphones, the sound is slightly unbalanced in my speakers (and vice-versa).

When I tested the plugin, this is the process I followed...

1. I put the Nx Virtual Mix Room as the last plugin in the Master control (in Reaper) and then added settings for speaker angle and my head-size (circumference, ear-to-ear around the back of the head).

2. I then opened a song that I was happy with the way it was mixed.

3. When the song was playing and with headphones on, I toggled between active/non-active for the plugin. There was definitely a difference in sound.

4. With the plugin active, when I removed my headphones and listened to the speakers. The sound that I had been hearing in my headphones was very closely paralleled by what I was now hearing from the speakers. Was it identical? I don't know but it sounded the same. With the plugin non-active, the sound between headphones and speakers was, again, noticeably different.

Lastly, I have to say that Waves installation software called "Waves Central" made installing and activating the two plugins I bought very easy.

All in all, it's thumbs up from me!

Hopes this information helps,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
kind of late with only 4 hours left but you CAN download the DEMO of it!

T
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
T
Hello Noel,

That's fascinating this a product i'll definitely have to give a try, perfect for my needs in my own home studio!

When it comes to the CLA plugin's I have used both CLA Guitar and CLA drums in the past in professional studio settings and I would definitely recommend them, it has greatly enhanced my mixes when I have recorded guitar or drums with honestly little effort involved. But honestly I love any plugin that comes from Waves, I currently own the gold bundle and will likely upgrade to a bigger bundle sometime this year.

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Tyler - PG Music
Hello Noel,

When it comes to the CLA plugin's I have used both CLA Guitar and CLA drums in the past in professional studio settings and I would definitely recommend them, it has greatly enhanced my mixes when I have recorded guitar or drums with honestly little effort involved. But honestly I love any plugin that comes from Waves, I currently own the gold bundle and will likely upgrade to a bigger bundle sometime this year.

I'm a big fan of the waves plugins too, I have quite a few of them. Today I just bought CLA Guitar on sale for $29.00, so good to hear it works well for you! Haven't tried it yet but will do so in a day or so.

J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Tyler,

Here's a public-available link to the User Guide. This may be of use to you.

http://www.waves.com/1lib/pdf/plugins/nx.pdf

The section in the guide relating to "Head Tracker", Chapter 4, is for a hardware device that can be used to help enhance the plugin's interpretation of a specific speaker(s) setup. Since I didn't purchase this to accompany the plugin, I cannot comment on it.

My impressions of the plugin so far...

It is excellent.

I've always found it a little frustrating how the the sound through my speakers and through my headphones disagreed with one another. It's not a major disagreement but it's enough to make mixing a little more challenging. If I mix to my headphones, the sound is slightly unbalanced in my speakers (and vice-versa).

When I tested the plugin, this is the process I followed...

1. I put the Nx Virtual Mix Room as the last plugin in the Master control (in Reaper) and then added settings for speaker angle and my head-size (circumference, ear-to-ear around the back of the head).

2. I then opened a song that I was happy with the way it was mixed.

3. When the song was playing and with headphones on, I toggled between active/non-active for the plugin. There was definitely a difference in sound.

4. With the plugin active, when I removed my headphones and listened to the speakers. The sound that I had been hearing in my headphones was very closely paralleled by what I was now hearing from the speakers. Was it identical? I don't know but it sounded the same. With the plugin non-active, the sound between headphones and speakers was, again, noticeably different.

Lastly, I have to say that Waves installation software called "Waves Central" made installing and activating the two plugins I bought very easy.

All in all, it's thumbs up from me!

Hopes this information helps,
Noel

Thank you Noel, for such a nice and thorough review. Because of your post I just bought it!

It is currently on sale for $39 but if you use code CK901 you can get an extra 10% off!

Veteran
Veteran
John,

When you get a chance to use it, I'm interested to know how you find it.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Originally Posted By: Noel96
John,

When you get a chance to use it, I'm interested to know how you find it.

Regards,
Noel

Noel,

I already tried it out and at a glance noticed some of the things you mentioned. And I already forgot to remove it before rendering! smile I have not had a chance to compare the mix to speakers but I did notice a big difference when removing the plug.

I used to use the FocusRite VRM box but found it to be a bit annoying as I could never get my mixes to sound good across all of their simulations and it was just too much to try and deal with. It eventually broke and I did not replace it.

But I am looking forward to this plug so thanks again for the recommendation and review. I use Waves Vocal Rider and love that one!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,661
Posts735,537
Members38,531
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
akbrpra, Benfil77, William L, gman97040, kadju
38,530 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 173