I posted this on Facebook, to explain how I record my songs:

When I first started writing songs in 1970, the only way to get them recorded was to turn on a cassette recorder and play them myself, hopefully with help from more talented friends. Today I am able to use technology I would not have dreamed possible.
I have a computerized arranging program called Band in a Box, which includes actual performances by real musicians. The program splices chords together to create a seamless performance. I type in the chords to a song, pick the instruments and musicians I want to use, and create a band of professionals who will never meet me, but who play the hell out of my song.
Take a song I just finished, Rebel on the Run, dedicated to Gregg Allman, a fellow Floridian. I wanted the sound of a stage full of musicians, a tribute band. The final mix was so convincing, I added a count-off, me yelling "One two three four", as if the guys were in the room. Here are the musicians playing on the song, and here is the song.

bass - Dave Francis - (LeRoy Parnell, Ty England)
banjo - Scott Vestal - (Bill Monroe, David Lee Roth)
drums - Wayne Killius - (Big and Rich, Toby Keith, Kenny Rogers)
guitar - Tom Britt - (Leon Russel, Dottie West, John Oates)
organ - Gene Rabbai - (Neil Young, Willie Nelson, Vince Gill)
lead guitar - Brent Mason - (Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings,) Neil Diamond, (Tim McGraw, Dolly Parton, Natalie Cole)

https://soundcloud.com/willrockwell/rebel-on-the-run

ProTools 12, Faderport 8, Melodyne, JBL monitors, Novation UltraNova, Yamaha MX49, Stratocaster, Telecaster, Rickenbacker 12, Ovation 12, Vox VT20X amp