Options
Index
#423155 - 07/25/17 02:05 PM [] Not Every Day Was Sad
Loc: Colorado
Buford Offline
Journeyman

Soundcloud: Not Every Day Was Sad

This song has been looking for a band since early this year when I began writing it. I never imagined I would select a STYLE named "Gumdrop" (Americana Country Pop) that would fit it so perfectly. Someday I want the PGM guys to tell me how they decide on the name of a STYLE. Can't be easy since there are so many. I found two dozen styles in the Xtra Styles 3 PAK for which I wanted to write something. Perhaps there are more songs to come from the inspiration found there.

The only instrumentation I added to the song is a Fender Nashville Power Telecaster on the intro, break, and fills. Everything else is BIAB. The tracks were exported from BIAB to Reaper and the guitar, vocals, and harmonies added. Final mix and mastering were done in Reaper. Telecaster EFX via Johnson J-Station. Vocals via the sweet Rhode NT1000.

Enjoy,
Bob cool

****** Song Summary *************
Title: Not Every Day Was Sad
File:NotEveryDayWasSad-Gumbdrop.SGU
Key=D , Tempo 130, Length (m:s)=4:25
9 bar intro, 133 bar chorus, from bar 10 to bar 142. Repeat x1 chorus
No Melody
No Soloist track.
Style is _GUMDROP.STY (Gumdrop Americana Country Pop)

RealTracks in style: ~684:Bass, Electric, PopHalfNotesSync Ev 120
RealTracks in style: 1275:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm PopUpliftHeld Ev16 120
RealTracks in style: ~1119:Guitar, 12-String Acoustic, Strumming Ev 120
RealTracks in style: ~543:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm Dreamy Ev 120
RealDrums in style: RockHardEven8 w Tamb [Multi]

Not Every Day Was Sad
c. 2017 Bob Buford

Hazy purple evening, a Colorado sky
A waning moon is sinking low and stars go falling by
I think about the life I've had, a heart I should have won
Guess I could have done it better, but I always choose to run

Here looking back now, on a life-song's sad refrains
The years have worn the edges, but softness still remains
It's such a narrow picture, I choose a wider range
Change the way you look at things, the things you look at change

Not every day was sad
Not every night was blue
Not every hasty word
Meant "I don't love you."
We've come so many miles now
Always hand in hand
You'd think by now we'd finally understand
Not every day was sad.

In all the years that passed now
I've learned to live alone
At least in my own mind
I'm back out on my own
I wouldn't say it's something
I ever meant to do
All I tried to hold on to was you

Not every day was sad
Not every night was blue
Not every hasty word
Meant "I don't love you."
We've come so many miles now
Always hand in hand
You'd think by now we'd finally understand
Not every day was sad.

#423176 - 07/25/17 08:34 PM [] Re: Not Every Day Was Sad [Re: Buford]
mag5049 Offline

Now this is a great song! BIAB backing, vocal with harmony and some fine guitar work makes it excellent. I'm gonna learn to do this one day!

#423185 - 07/26/17 12:32 AM [] Re: Not Every Day Was Sad [Re: Buford]
fiddler2007 Offline
Expert

yep ... & cleverly avoiding 'bad' too.

#423206 - 07/26/17 06:17 AM [] Re: Not Every Day Was Sad [Re: fiddler2007]
Buford Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: fiddler2007
yep ... & cleverly avoiding 'bad' too.

...I'm not just another pretty face ya know...wait. grin

#423213 - 07/26/17 07:01 AM [] Re: Not Every Day Was Sad [Re: Buford]
Loc: North Carolina
David Snyder Offline
Veteran

Loc: North Carolina

Hey Bob,

Love this style. Great songwriting and singing, and I especially loved the mix.

Good luck on the the contest!

"All I tried to hold onto was you."--Great line

smile

www.davidsnydermusic.com
www.reverbnation.com/davidpsnyder
www.soundcloud.com/davidsnyderchannel
www.songtradr.com/user/profile/david.snyder

#423220 - 07/26/17 07:31 AM [] Re: Not Every Day Was Sad [Re: David Snyder]
Buford Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: David Snyder

Hey Bob,

Love this style. Great songwriting and singing, and I especially loved the mix.
Good luck on the the contest!
"All I tried to hold onto was you."--Great line
smile

Thanks, David. Really appreciate your nice comments
Later smile
Bob

#423478 - 07/28/17 07:20 AM [] Re: Not Every Day Was Sad [Re: mag5049]
Buford Offline
Journeyman

Hey Mitch,

Thanks for the nice comments. Lots of fun, lots of work on this one. But if you get into some of the PGM tutorials, and also some of the forum articles and tips you'll be creating some songs that will blow you away. BIAB is definitely the songwriter's best companion. Can't imagine working without it. Best of luck.

Thanks for listening, grin
Bob

#424322 - 08/03/17 06:04 AM [] Re: Not Every Day Was Sad [Re: Buford]
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
VideoTrack Offline
Veteran

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
This is really excellent. The vocals, the lyrics, the music. Not a weak point in any of the overall delivery.

The build is sensational and the backing vocals give great dimension.

Thoroughly enjoyable in every way. You've put "Gumdrop" on the map.
BIAB&RB2020(Audiophile),Win-10Pro, SonarPlatinum, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, KorgX3R, RodeNGT2, AM802mixer, NS40M StudioMonitors, Pioneer Act. Mons, AKG K271 Studio H'phones

#424389 - 08/03/17 04:06 PM [] Re: Not Every Day Was Sad [Re: VideoTrack]
Buford Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
This is really excellent. The vocals, the lyrics, the music. Not a weak point in any of the overall delivery.

The build is sensational and the backing vocals give great dimension.

Thoroughly enjoyable in every way. You've put "Gumdrop" on the map.

Thanks VT,

I really appreciate your comments. This one was harder than I expected and nearly didn't happen. Some of 'em are a real struggle. But finally! I've had the title for years. Just needed to live a bit more. cool

Bob

#424406 - 08/03/17 08:29 PM [] Re: Not Every Day Was Sad [Re: Buford]
Buford Offline
Journeyman

Hey Mark,

Thanks for the kind comments. This was a fun one, but pretty time-consuming. Anytime I decide to add guitar it adds at least a day to the project. Makes it worth it when folks notice thought. Thanks for listening,

Bob grin

#424747 - 08/06/17 04:43 AM [] Re: Not Every Day Was Sad [Re: Buford]
Jon Thomas Offline
Apprentice

Very very nice song and production, in all respects.Strong song! I particularly enjoyed the vocal harmonies and the "ooohs" :-) Good luck with the contest Bob!

#424819 - 08/06/17 01:36 PM [] Re: Not Every Day Was Sad [Re: Jon Thomas]
Buford Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: Jon Thomas
Very very nice song and production, in all respects.Strong song! I particularly enjoyed the vocal harmonies and the "ooohs" :-) Good luck with the contest Bob!

Hey Jon...I'm a big fan of "OoozanAhhhs" as we call 'em. grin
Thanks for your comment and thanks for listening.

Bob

Moderator:  Blake - PG Music 
PG Music News
#TipTuesday - Band-in-a-Box® Patch Updates

We never stop here at PG Music, so make sure that you check in on your installation of Band-in-a-Box® occasionally - we frequently release free patch updates to enhance existing versions, and fix 'bugs' reported by program users.

Windows program updates can be found here. We have a separate page for Mac updates, here.

You can also setup Band-in-a-Box® to check for updates automatically! Head to the Preferences window in the program, and select "Automatically check for updates every [__] days" (choose your number).

Not sure which "build" you have? Help | About... will bring up a window that will show your exact version number!

Band-in-a-Box® 2020 - Xtra Styles PAK 9 & Loops-with-Style PAK 2 Bundle!

Have you heard? We have NEW Band-in-a-Box Add-ons!

Xtra Styles PAK 9 and Loops-with-Style PAK 2 will SUPERCHARGE your Band-in-a-Box® 2020 UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition!

200 NEW RealStyles have been added with Xtra Styles PAK 9 - 50 Rock-Pop, 50 Jazz, 50 Country, and 50 Folk & Beyond 2!

Loops-with-Style PAK 2 includes 100 NEW Loops and 50 NEW styles, and adds 2 new genres to our Loops-with-Style collection: gospel and funk!

Bundle both the Xtra Styles PAK 9 and Loops-with-Style PAK 2 into one convenient purchase, only $48 until June 30th! Click here to choose your purchase.

Mac user? Click here for your order links.

RealBand 2020 for Windows Updated Harmonies Feature!

The latest RealBand 2020 Update includes enhancements to the harmonies feature, improvements for audio recording, and more!

Click here to review and download this free update patch (build 4).

Video: Band-in-a-Box® - Xtra Styles PAK 9 Overview & Demos

Xtra Styles PAK 9 includes 200 NEW RealStyles for Rock-Pop, Jazz, Country, and Folk & Beyond!

There are 50 new RealStyles for each genre, with MultiStyles included in each genre too!

Learn more about loading and using Xtra Styles PAK 9 in Band-in-a-Box® 2020 and listen to the demos for the 200 new RealStyles in Xtra Styles PAK 9 with our latest video: Band-in-a-Box® - Xtra Styles PAK 9: Overview & Demos.

Add Xtra Styles PAK 9 to your band for just $29 until June 30th! Order here.

Windows user? Click here for Windows purchase links and details.

PowerTracks Pro Audio 2020 Updated!

PowerTracks Pro Audio 2020 has been updated with a small Free Update Patch that can be downloaded here.

Video: Band-in-a-Box® - Loops-with-Style PAK 2 Overview & Demos

Loops-with-Style PAK 2 is packed with 100 NEW Loops & 50 NEW Styles, including new gospel & folk categories!

Use these new Styles and Loops directly in your Band-in-a-Box® songs to access all their B substyle loops, or load these acidized loops directly into your DAW that supports acid info!

See how easy it is to load and use these Loops in Band-in-a-Box® 2020 and listen to the demos for these new Loops & Styles when you watch our latest video: Band-in-a-Box® - Loops-with-Style PAK 2 Overview & Demos.

Add Loops-with-Style PAK 2 today for just $19! Learn more and purchase here.

Haven't purchased Loops-with-Styles yet? Get the entire collection for only $29 when you bundle Loops-with-Style PAK 1 & Loops-with-Style PAK 2 for only $29! That's 100 Styles and 200 Loops for Band-in-a-Box® for just $29! Order now.

Mac user? Click here for Mac purchase links and details.

NEW Add-ons for Band-in-a-Box® 2020 - Xtra Styles PAK 9 & Loops-with-Style PAK 2!

We're delighted to be adding 200 GROUNDBREAKING RealStyles to the Band-in-a-Box® collection with Xtra Styles PAK 9!

Our new Rock-Pop additions include neo soul with vocals, classic ska with a horn section, a psychedelic sixties pop ballad, heavier action-scene cinematic metal, post-punk folk rock, six-substyle gospel pop MultiStyle with vocals, and more!

With the latest Jazz Xtra Styles, we've added everything from quarter-feel jazz blues to New Orleans Gospel to jazzy disco funk and gentle bossa folk pop, and more! We've also included a brand-new (huge!) ten-substyle "changes" jazz swing MultiStyle with three different soloist options!

The newest Country RealTracks are a real treat! We've fused folk and Americana instruments with the country sounds you know and love: ethereal and songwriter country ballads, a country rock march, country pop with layered cellos, a country soul groove, and much, much more! The included six-substyle summertime country pop MultiStyle will help you create your perfect summertime hit!

Plus, we've added to our Folk & Beyond collection with our Xtra Styles PAK 9 release! There are 50 fresh new styles, including a Cajun jaw harp boogie, cinematic folk with strings, a modern Celtic folk reel, a gentle three-guitar folk ballad, delta blues with shaker - the list goes on! Add Folk & Beyond 2 and you'll also receive a brand-new eight-part mountain folk MultiStyle!

There are 50 new RealStyles in each genre - get them ALL for only $29 until June 30th! Learn more, listen to demos and order here.

But wait... there's MORE!

We've also rolled out 50 NEW Styles and 100 NEW Loops in Loops-with-Style PAK 2!
Use these new Styles and Loops directly in your Band-in-a-Box® songs to access all their B substyle loops, or load these acidized loops directly into your DAW that supports acid info! Genres include Electronic, Funk, Hip Hop, Jazz, Pop, R&B, Rock, World, plus we're introducing two new genre categories - Gospel and Folk!

Add Loops-with-Style PAK 2 today for just $19! Learn more and purchase here.

Haven't purchased Loops-with-Styles yet? Get the entire collection for only $29 when you bundle Loops-with-Style PAK 1 & Loops-with-Style PAK 2 for only $29! That's 100 Styles and 200 Loops for Band-in-a-Box® for just $29! Order now.

Mac User? Click here for Mac details and purchase links.

Forum Stats
32228 Members
65 Forums
64431 Topics
546373 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
Musikschule Nott, Hesion, ColinP, Hadjou, msa

32227 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
MarioD 218
Pipeline 166