Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#427848 - 08/27/17 02:23 PM [User Showcase] VULTURE (with PeterF)
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

VULTURE (video)

VULTURE (audio only)

Some "down south" and "down under" blues grin

We aimed for a 12 bar blues lyric that pays homage to the 1920's Delta classics while arranged with a more modern blues groove. So, as befits Delta Blues, the lyric is dark. While arranging it we heard an Otis Rush tune with no intro (unusual for blues) so we decided to try it.

Janice sang a bit grittier and I used a light dose of some Ozone vintage modules keeping with the spirit of her delivery.

We asked PeterF if he'd be interested in playing some blues and he quickly sent us several tracks that nailed the groove and added extra feeling and depth to each verses' vocal and lyric.

So a shoutout to Peter and as always to PG Music for making the rest of the band possible.

But, hey, I'm obviously biased so we most welcome your time to listen and comment - hard blues fan or not!

For those inclined toward the tech stuff:

Vocal: Rodes NT1 via Scarlett 212 USB interface to Logic Pro X / Ozone "Vintage" compression and tape saturation / EMT 140 plate reverb sim

Guitar tracks: Peter and whatever he does to them smile

Drums: RD Blues Rock Shuffle / tag comped from Logic Pro X kit sounds / Neutron/EMT 140 plate reverb sim

Bass: RT 1646 / Neutron / comped from three tracks

Piano: RT 2730 Logic Pro X Direction Mixer / Neutron/EMT 140 plate reverb sim / intentionally left it a bit dark sounding

Organ: RT 2731 Logic Pro X Direction Mixer / tweaked Neutron “Dirty B” preset”/ EMT 140 plate reverb sim

Mastering: Izotope Ozone 7 Advanced with slightly tweaked post eq, added imaging and light limiting.

#427850 - 08/27/17 02:40 PM [User Showcase] Re: VULTURE (feat: Peter) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Murgon Queensland Australia
Rob4580 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Murgon Queensland Australia
Wow! Powerful and smooth at the same time.
Credit to you all.
Great tune.
Rob

#427867 - 08/27/17 04:42 PM [User Showcase] Re: VULTURE (feat: Peter) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: North Carolina
David Snyder Offline
Veteran

Loc: North Carolina

Rock and Roll man!!!

Love it!!!

Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

www.davidsnydermusic.com
www.reverbnation.com/davidpsnyder
www.soundcloud.com/davidsnyderchannel
www.songtradr.com/user/profile/david.snyder

#427869 - 08/27/17 04:54 PM [User Showcase] Re: VULTURE (feat: Peter) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Robertkc Offline
Veteran

J & B and Peter,

I`m not familiar with the genre, but I`d say you nailed the "dark" feel on the lyrics ( there sure is something supernatural about those birds)- a great image to start the video and that no intro opening woks for me.
Yes, Janice does sound a little grittier than usual and that fits. Peter`s guitar work is stellar. Going back to turn it up on SoundCloud.

Robert

#427898 - 08/28/17 03:46 AM [User Showcase] Re: VULTURE (feat: Peter) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Ontario, Canada
BlueAttitude Offline
Veteran

Loc: Ontario, Canada
LOVE IT!!!!!!!

I've been listening to music like this for more than 40 years, and I could listen to music like this all day.

Intro is very different, but cool. Good write, and Janice has that blues sound nailed, just great chops!

And Peter is just awesome on this! There are lots of guys that *think* they can play blues, but Peter is the real deal, I love what he brought to the table.

BTW, that turnaround is the cats meow, just giving you a heads up I'm going to steal it at some point :P

Going to check out the video now .....

#427912 - 08/28/17 07:37 AM [User Showcase] Re: VULTURE (feat: Peter) [Re: Rob4580]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Rob4580
Wow! Powerful and smooth at the same time.
Credit to you all.
Great tune.
Rob

Thanks for tuning in Rob

J&B

#427950 - 08/28/17 01:25 PM [User Showcase] Re: VULTURE (feat: Peter) [Re: David Snyder]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: David Snyder

Rock and Roll man!!!

Love it!!!

Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks David! A reaction we had hoped for.

J&B

#427964 - 08/28/17 04:45 PM [User Showcase] Re: VULTURE (feat: Peter) [Re: Janice & Bud]
guitar1 Offline
Apprentice

Congrats!
Everyone concerned with this one gave an outstanding performance. Well done.

#427975 - 08/28/17 05:16 PM [User Showcase] Re: VULTURE (feat: Peter) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Middletown, PA.
44kfl Offline
Veteran

Loc: Middletown, PA.
Awesome mix!

That guitar sounds so sweet

Janice sings every drop of it, great emotion

love the turnarounds

loved the listen

great job all!

Kenny

#427984 - 08/28/17 05:59 PM [User Showcase] Re: VULTURE (with PeterF) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Missouri
Torrey Bliss Offline
Veteran

Loc: Missouri
Lots of folks posting blues oriented songs lately here, but there is certainly room for this one!! Great sounding track! As usual the production, audio/video are top level and Janice's vocal is as good as it gets! The guitar (PeterF) is outstanding! Thanks, Torrey

Edited by Torrey Bliss (08/28/17 06:00 PM)

#427994 - 08/28/17 07:37 PM [User Showcase] Re: VULTURE (with PeterF) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Originally Missouri ... Now Al...
Al-David Offline
Veteran

Holy Smokes! This is just so danged good - can't think of enough good things to say. To say janice sounds terrific is like saying sugar is a bit sweet. And Peter, I hope you had a fire extinguisher handy as the guitar work is smoking! Love that rundown going to Peter's 6-string magic and between the verses thereafter.

What a treat! Dark - smokey - and done to perfection!

Alan

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

#427998 - 08/28/17 07:48 PM [User Showcase] Re: VULTURE (with PeterF) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Japan
HiroshiK Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Japan
J&B,

I am not a fan of the blues but I am a fan of you. So, I listened to the song. I did enjoy it very much. I even felt familiar with the song as well as the way Janice is singing. It is probably because the quality level as music is very high.

Hiroshi

#428015 - 08/29/17 04:35 AM [User Showcase] Re: VULTURE (with PeterF) [Re: Robertkc]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Robertkc
J & B and Peter,

I`m not familiar with the genre, but I`d say you nailed the "dark" feel on the lyrics ( there sure is something supernatural about those birds)- a great image to start the video and that no intro opening woks for me.
Yes, Janice does sound a little grittier than usual and that fits. Peter`s guitar work is stellar. Going back to turn it up on SoundCloud.

Robert

Delta blues was pretty much defined by Robert Johnson. Cream and other English groups helped popularize it and, ironically, re-introduce it to America. Two of his more notable songs are Crossroads or Cross Roads Blues (Clapton) and Love In Vain (Rolling Stones). Glad you liked it and hope it worked for you when turned up smile

J&B

#428025 - 08/29/17 06:27 AM [User Showcase] Re: VULTURE (with PeterF) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
Dang! Seems like Everyone is on fire these days... EACH of you certainly are...

This forum is producing some of the best music available these days.

An excellent BluesRock write! Simple, yet meaningful, thought provoking yet complete... Tight.

In a VERY long line of great vocal performances, I think this is Janice's ultimate - constrained yet unconstrained, confident, chillingly good...

Peter's guitar work is every bit a match for the write and the vocal. Nothing out of place. Tasty.

The "behind the scene" work is stunningly good. Bud - you are a real talent. The mix is impeccable.

ZOWIE.

fj

#428028 - 08/29/17 06:58 AM [User Showcase] Re: VULTURE (with PeterF) [Re: Al-David]
Loc: Colorado
Buford Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Colorado
Oh man...love me some blues. Excellent production and vocals. More. More.

Bob cool

#428032 - 08/29/17 07:11 AM [User Showcase] Re: VULTURE (with PeterF) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Deryk - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Wow, you nailed this! I love the groove, and how hard it hits. It's nearly impossible not to move to this. I really enjoyed the vocals and the lyrical subject matter too. Adds a whole other level of uniqueness to it.

Thanks so much for sharing smile You should be proud of this!

#428038 - 08/29/17 07:47 AM [User Showcase] Re: VULTURE (with PeterF) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Al-David Offline
Veteran

Just had another listen - some items on the menu require a second helping. I may have to pig out and go back for even more! It's always a pleasure "know" people who are at the top of their profession. And you guys are right up there. Thanks again for the great listen.

Alan

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

#428085 - 08/29/17 01:48 PM [User Showcase] Re: VULTURE (with PeterF) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Iceland
Icelander Offline
Veteran

Loc: Iceland
Damn fine piece of bluesing right there! cool

p.s. Btw, when I went looking, I found that RT #1646 does in fact not exists, you most likely meant 1546?

Edited by Icelander (08/29/17 03:00 PM)
Edit Reason: Afterthought

#428131 - 08/29/17 05:41 PM [User Showcase] Re: VULTURE (with PeterF) [Re: BlueAttitude]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
LOVE IT!!!!!!!

I've been listening to music like this for more than 40 years, and I could listen to music like this all day.

Intro is very different, but cool. Good write, and Janice has that blues sound nailed, just great chops!

And Peter is just awesome on this! There are lots of guys that *think* they can play blues, but Peter is the real deal, I love what he brought to the table.

BTW, that turnaround is the cats meow, just giving you a heads up I'm going to steal it at some point :P

Going to check out the video now .....

Coming from a blues man your comments are especially gratifying. Blues has been a huge part of music experience for decades. Any time heart and soul are put into any genre we like it...yet there is something special about blues. One of those you get it or you don't things. Thanks for those remarks and, man, how cool that you liked the turnaround -- it was a struggle to hopefully get right. And thanks for the comments re the preview.

J&B

PS Peter is experiencing some net issues but I know he much appreciated your comment.

#428138 - 08/29/17 06:48 PM [User Showcase] Re: VULTURE (with PeterF) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Scott C Offline
Veteran

Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Love this. Awesome backtrack. Awesome vocal and awesome guitar. A trifecta.. :-). Well done..

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® for Mac - Audio Chord Wizard Overview Video

The Audio Chord Wizard included in Band-in-a-Box is a powerful feature that automatically figures out the chords from an audio file and imports them (as well as the audio) into Band-in-a-Box®, along with the bar lines, key, tempo, and fine tuning!

Check out this video, where we explain how to use the Audio Chord Wizard: Click here to watch...

Read more about the Audio Chord Wizard within our online program manual, here. Better yet - give it a try and see/hear for yourself how intelligent this feature is!

Clarinet RealTracks for Band-in-a-Box®!

It's National Clarinet Day! Who doesn't enjoy the rich & mellow sounds the clarinet delivers?

We have 20+ Clarinet RealTracks available for Band-in-a-Box®, covering Dixieland, Folk, Jazz, and World styles. You'll find these RealTracks in the following Sets:
RealTracks Set 56: Jazz, Old and New
RealTracks Set 144: Dixieland - Fast Soloists
RealTracks Set 178: Dixieland - Medium Soloists
RealTracks Set 248: Oberkrainer! Folk Music From the Alps

Clarinet RealTracks Artists include:
James Danderfer
P.J. Perry
Thomas Oberreiter

Tutorial - Downloading and Installing Your Band-in-a-Box® Purchase

When you order your copy of Band-in-a-Box® from our website you'll receive the installation files to download your order, even if you're having it shipped!

You can access these files within the My Products section of your online account.

Downloading the program is such a convenient way to get started with Band-in-a-Box®! To learn more about how to download your purchase, please review the written tutorials we've created for Windows and Mac.

200+ Saxophone RealTracks for Band-in-a-Box®!

Where would music be today without the sultry sounds of the Saxophone? Fortunately, because of Adolphe Sax, we don't have to find out!

Today we celebrate his birthday, and with that a nod to our extensive collection of Saxophone RealTracks for Band-in-a-Box®!

Saxophone RealTracks sound so amazing that they were one of the first RealTracks we developed and released for the program with Band-in-a-Box® 2007! Now there are more than 200 Saxophone RealTracks available for Jazz, Rock, Blues, Country, Funk, and Pop!

Our Saxophone RealTracks Artists include:
Eric Alexander
Eric Marienthal
Gary Smulyan
Jack Stafford
Jim Clark
Mark Douthit
P.J. Perry
Phil Woods
Tom Keenlyside

Click on their name to be taken to their bio page where you can learn more about the artists and listen to demos of all their RealTracks.

Upgrading to Band-in-a-Box® 2020 is Easy!

Did you know... anyone who has owned a previous version of Band-in-a-Box® is entitle to upgrade pricing - you do not need to have your old version installed!

Maybe you used to own the Windows version, but you now have a Mac... that's not a problem either!
(or if you owned the Mac version, and now you have a Windows computer)

In both cases, you would purchase from the "Upgrade from 2018 or earlier or crossgrade" row here for a new Mac version, or here if you want the newest Windows version. Just need to upgrade your 2019 version? Use the "Upgrade from 2019/2020" row.

When you purchase your upgrade from either of these rows, you will receive a complete installation - just follow the steps of the setup, and your Band-in-a-Box® will be ready to use!

PG Music Inc. shopping cart accounts were not required to purchase from our website prior to October 29, 2014. With that in mind, you may have to create an account in order to upgrade - that's OK! You'll still be entitled to upgrade pricing.

Band-in-a-Box® 2020 Italian for Mac is Here!

Ci sono oltre 50 nuove funzionalità in Band-in-a-Box® 2020! Ci sono miglioramenti ai RealTracks (RealTracks vocali dal suono più fluido, Ispessimento RealTracks, RealTracks "Find-a-Sub" e MultiRiffs). La maggior parte dei RealDrums ora hanno RealCharts (con un'accurata Notazione di Batteria). C'è un nuovo Browser dell'artista RealTracks per trovare informazioni /bios/collegamenti/ elenchi di RealTracks su tutti gli artisti. Un nuovo Browser delle Funzionalità consente all'utente nuovo o "smemorato" di trovare e utilizzare facilmente la maggior parte delle funzionalità/tasti di scelta rapida/documenti da un'unica finestra. Equalizza Tempo consente di cambiare una canzone registrata in rubato in un tempo fisso. Stiramento del tempo/tono dell'audio migliorato (Elastique) incluso. Ci sono miglioramenti di SongPicker, Auto-Intro di Basso/Batteria o Batteria solo, 3.400 titoli aggiunti, miglioramenti di MusicXML, chitarra "per mancini" e "Vista Studente", miglioramenti del trascinamento della selezione, visualizzazione multi-finestra dell’analizzatore degli accordi audio e altro ancora!

ACQUISTA/AGGIORNA & SCARICA ADESSO!!

Want to be notified when a new version of Band-in-a-Box® is released? There are a few ways to stay informed!

PG Music Newsletter: Click here to subscribe
(If you've registered with us, or purchased from us, you're already on the list!)

Facebook: Click here to "Like" our page!

Twitter: Click here to Follow Us!

We'll also announce any new version or new product release on our Forum... stay tuned!

Forum Stats
33219 Members
67 Forums
66107 Topics
567155 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
Banning, dudes_czc, jdgm, fdesat, babluc

33218 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Pipeline 196
MarioD 164